Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Everyone post what they consider a nice interior. Nothing over $100k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The best interiors are ones focused around the driver where you're wedged in nice and tight on all sides like you're in a claustrophobic fighter jet and surrounded by knobs.

Something like the ioniq 5, or teslas feel like you're sitting in a lounge. Nuts to that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think I found the source of the rattle I noticed lately.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

E-tron GT has the best EV interior

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

1984 Maserati Biturbo

Most comfortable seats in any car I've driven.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

2023 Mercedes EQS SUV

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

VideoGameVet posted:

1984 Maserati Biturbo

Most comfortable seats in any car I've driven.

It's like sitting on Ricardo Montalban's rich corinthian leathery face

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tom Guycot posted:

The best interiors are ones focused around the driver where you're wedged in nice and tight on all sides like you're in a claustrophobic fighter jet and surrounded by knobs.

Something like the ioniq 5, or teslas feel like you're sitting in a lounge. Nuts to that.

thats great for a weekend toy it is not what I want in my daily driver or for road trips and poo poo.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh we need pics

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are there any current models that have the vent underneath the steering wheel that blows directly on your nuts

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DoubleT2172 posted:

Aren't we probating people who didn't post new car pics? I need new car pics

Yes. Did someone not post their new car?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

knox_harrington posted:

Oh we need pics

This is a good mix of traditional dash and screen. The Mercedes going full screen, as cool as it is, sort of feels gimmicky. Yeah you can change the accent colors but I don’t want to driving a gaming computer chassis

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

E-tron GT has the best EV interior

easily yes

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

VideoGameVet posted:

2023 Mercedes EQS SUV

That looks like some Star Trek poo poo. I kinda love it.

My Mercedes employee neighbor has a new fully camo'ed, manufacturer-plated EV in their driveway, maybe an EQE SUV? This is the third or fourth camo'ed EV they've had in the last year; I don't know the neighbor but I have to guess they're pretty high up in the corporate structure to be randomly driving around in $100k+ unrevealed cars all the time.

I probably wouldn't get a great reaction if I knocked on their door and ask for a ride around the neighborhood...

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. Did someone not post their new car?

Frazzbo posted:

Woohoo, I finally get to submit my membership application for the EV owners' club! :toot: Collected an Open Corsa-e Ultimate the other day, drove it almost 600km back from the dealership and got the full experience of navigating by ABRP to suitable charging stations. Loving it so far!

I see no pics!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy poo poo, I thought they just dumped my reservation, since they initially estimated I'd have the car by May.

Fortunately my GF wants a new car sooner rather than later, and is willing to dump her ID.4 reservation for the Bolt. Ultimately I think the Bolt for a dedicated commuter, and either the ID.4 OR MME for road trips/camping/kayaking etc is the way to go. Of course buying a 2022 Chevy Bolt new is a complete ripoff right now based on the IRA tax break and lower 2023 MSRP. I asked if I could take delivery Jan 1st and the dealer was like "No".

Literally while I was typing up this post I got this message from Ford.

Sooooo....

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Elviscat posted:

Literally while I was typing up this post I got this message from Ford.

Sooooo....

Notable that they say "help offset the price increase", not "offset the price increase".

Did you put money down on the preorder? If they try to charge you more for a different thing from what was advertised/paid for, you'd probably have legal recourse. That's literally some bait-and-switch poo poo.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

I see no pics!

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiii

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Frazzbo posted:

Woohoo, I finally get to submit my membership application for the EV owners' club! :toot: Collected an Open Corsa-e Ultimate the other day, drove it almost 600km back from the dealership and got the full experience of navigating by ABRP to suitable charging stations. Loving it so far!

Rules are you get 24 hours, which means you have about 8 hours left to post a photo of your new car! :ohdear:

At least, that was the rule I proposed. Whatever's in the first post is The Law.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Of course buying a 2022 Chevy Bolt new is a complete ripoff right now based on the IRA tax break and lower 2023 MSRP. I asked if I could take delivery Jan 1st and the dealer was like "No".

I wonder. Would the best strategy for a '22 Bolt in the interim be to lease it and then buyout when the option becomes available <$25k for the $4k used credit? Edit: Ah, looks like leases might not get the '23 price match rebate and that might screw up the residual value for the 2 model year timeframe anyways.

darnon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 31, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I think I found the source of the rattle I noticed lately.

Ms cruft and cruft jr get really tired of me trying to hunt down the source of rattles. I'm going to print this out and tape it somewhere in the car to point at next time they give me crap.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Good article talking about the missed opportunity to design EVs to be safer than ICE cars instead of keeping the exact same cars but with batteries in them: https://slate.com/technology/2022/08/electric-trucks-cars-too-heavy-inflation-reduction-act.html

quote:

There is another, critical contributor to the American surge in in traffic fatalities: the national penchant for tall, heavy pickup trucks and SUVs. The weight of these behemoths endangers other road users in a crash, and their height leads them to strike a person’s torso instead of their legs (it can also make it difficult to see those standing in front of the vehicle). American deaths among those on foot or a bicycle rose more than 40 percent during the last decade; one study found that the shift to SUVs over the last twenty years led to more than 1,000 additional pedestrian fatalities.

Electrified versions of SUVs and trucks can be even more dangerous. Large vehicles require massive batteries, which add tonnage. The Ford F-150 Lightning, for instance, weighs around 6,500 pounds, about a third more than its gas-powered model. The Hummer EV is even more gigantic, tipping the scales at over 9,000 pounds, with a battery that alone is heavier than an entire Honda Civic. This additional weight creates force during a crash, increasing the danger to pedestrians, cyclists, and occupants of smaller cars.

The heft of electric vehicles is not their only safety risk. Even with heavy batteries, these vehicles’ electric powertrains allow them to accelerate unusually quickly. Chevrolet, for instance, touts its “Wide Open Watts Mode” that allows the Chevy Blazer EV, an SUV, to accelerate from zero to 60 in under four seconds—a speed that is comparable to popular muscle cars like the Dodge Charger and Ford Mustang. A Tesla Model X Plaid is even more powerful, reaching 60 mph in two and a half seconds—faster than any other SUV on the market.

Car companies are touting these acceleration rates as a selling point, which is ominous. Although supercharged pick-up speeds serve no practical purpose, they create real danger for other road users—especially those on foot or in a wheelchair who have scant time to get out of the way.

quote:

Consider the Ford F-150 Lightning. With no need to fit a gasoline engine underneath the hood, Ford could have restructured its front end to slope toward the ground, giving the driver a better view and making it more likely that a pedestrian or cyclist would roll off the top instead of absorbing a collision directly. Instead, Ford kept the tall dimensions of the existing F-150, converting the space underneath the hood into storage that the company calls a “frunk.”

That move may be useful for F-150 buyers, but it’s a missed opportunity to enhance safety. Still, it’s hard to fault Ford for its decision; no regulatory incentive or requirement pushed the company to adopt a less dangerous front end, and few consumers will pay extra for features whose safety benefits accrue to those outside the vehicle.

These risks of electrification are avoidable. With regulation, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration could set a minimum zero-to-60 threshold on public roads, ensuring that electrification doesn’t invite a reckless acceleration competition among carmakers. The federal government should also address the prisoner’s dilemma of people buying tall, heavy SUVs and trucks—electric or otherwise—merely to avoid being at a disadvantage in a crash with another vehicle. For starters, given the greater danger they pose, heavier cars should incur higher taxes and fees.

Here’s a promising model: The District of Columbia recently adopted a creative vehicle registration fee schedule that charges owners of vehicles weighing more than 6,000 pounds $500 per year, seven times more than those registering light sedans. (D.C. gives EVs a 1,000-pound “credit.”)

One obvious move is to add pedestrian crashworthiness to federal car crash ratings, called the New Car Assessment Program, to estimate crash risk borne by those outside the vehicle. Europe, Australia, and Japan took this step years ago; the United States is a laggard.

I post this while also having a reservation for a Rivian, which I do feel somewhat guilty about for these reasons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

marshmonkey posted:

Good article talking about the missed opportunity to design EVs to be safer than ICE cars instead of keeping the exact same cars but with batteries in them: https://slate.com/technology/2022/08/electric-trucks-cars-too-heavy-inflation-reduction-act.html

I post this while also having a reservation for a Rivian, which I do feel somewhat guilty about for these reasons.

just dont run in to any pedestrians problem solved

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The articles fixate too much on the danger of increased acceleration, which I don't think is going to be a huge factor in most serious accidents. Fatalities are way up because everyone's always staring at their phones while driving increasingly larger Canyoneros. That's it. That's the driving factor.

I don't know how we tackle that problem in America, unfortunately. Most states have laws against distracted driving, but they're rarely enforced, and most people don't see it any differently from a speeding ticket (ie. "I'll try to do better at not getting caught").

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

just dont run in to any pedestrians problem solved

:hmmyes:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't know how we tackle that problem in America, unfortunately. Most states have laws against distracted driving, but they're rarely enforced, and most people don't see it any differently from a speeding ticket (ie. "I'll try to do better at not getting caught").

We've reduced DUI related fatalities by 50% since the 80's through draconian law enforcement, we could do the same with distracted driving.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The cops in my area love hiding behind shrubs at major intersections and catching people on their phone. It's crazy how many they get, I go past the pull over area and there are like 5-6 cars stopped there, every time.

I think if you get caught twice your insurance also goes up considerably, apart from the fines.. And yet people still do it!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Oh we need pics

This would be perfection if it didn't have gloss black, but can't win em all.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

WhiteHowler posted:

I hope we figure out something soon, because if the fatality trend holds there are going to be a lot of dead people before we get to something like all cars having self-driving.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
It may have been already discussed but I feel like the new tax credits kinda killed the PHEV market, the credit made up for the cost difference between a normal hybrid and the plug in version. Our Prius Prime made sense given that the trim level of Prius that matched the Prime was almost the same cost but the $4,500 we got back in taxes made it well worth it. I was looking at the new Kia Sportage PHEV as a possible option to get us down to one car but it's $8K more than the standard hybrid. We would have to drive it for something like 10 years to make up the difference in gas savings. Of course my needs are not everyones but I don't want a Lincoln or BMW or a Volvo, I want a PHEV SUV starting under $45K with tax credits.

I guess I just need to sit tight for a couple more years till a BEV comes out that checks the boxes without costing $80,000.

Heres a Rivian launching a boat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsYS-JbNf30

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

WhiteHowler posted:

Notable that they say "help offset the price increase", not "offset the price increase".

Did you put money down on the preorder? If they try to charge you more for a different thing from what was advertised/paid for, you'd probably have legal recourse. That's literally some bait-and-switch poo poo.

I guarantee he agreed to a terms of service that means he has 0 legal recourse.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Ms cruft and cruft jr get really tired of me trying to hunt down the source of rattles. I'm going to print this out and tape it somewhere in the car to point at next time they give me crap.

What kind of things have you had and were you able to fix them? I have a full set of trim tools and I figure I'm probably better off taking care of poo poo like this myself rather than trying to get Tesla to do it.

This one being a perfect example, took me about 3 minutes to diagnose and rectify.

Is Dynamat still a thing? I figured something like that might be involved at some point.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I guarantee he agreed to a terms of service that means he has 0 legal recourse.

Probably, but sometimes the actual laws supercede anything you can sign away in a contract. I have no experience with retail laws, but I've seen this happen a lot in the healthcare industry.

Regardless, there's a non-zero chance Ford's response to a lawsuit would be "the lawyers are going to cost more than the discount, and on the off chance we lose, it will set a very public precedent. Give this jerk a discount if they'll sign an NDA not to discuss the terms".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Frazzbo posted:

cruft posted:

Rules are you get 24 hours, which means you have about 8 hours left to post a photo of your new car! :ohdear:

At least, that was the rule I proposed. Whatever's in the first post is The Law.

Clock's ticking, post pics! :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have the right to refuse delivery, pretty sure I'm out my $500 if I do so. I'm sure the dealer would love this, since they take refused Machs and slap $10,000 on the hood.

I just priced out a '23, and with the options pack I selected now being part of the standard trim, it looks like the MSRP difference is only like $1,000 (AWD and "comfort and technology" package on a base model Select)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

What kind of things have you had and were you able to fix them? I have a full set of trim tools and I figure I'm probably better off taking care of poo poo like this myself rather than trying to get Tesla to do it.

This one being a perfect example, took me about 3 minutes to diagnose and rectify.

Is Dynamat still a thing? I figured something like that might be involved at some point.

In the model 3, the rattles so far have been:

• Ms cruft's water bottle rattling around in the door
  • Cruft jr's water bottle rattling around in the door
  • Random junk in the back seat rattling against other junk
  • Random junk in the trunk rattling against other junk
  • My USB C upgrade hack not being properly tied down before I put the center console back together
  • Some mystery thing inside the dashboard that you can just barely hear on certain roads between 25MPH and 40MPH
  • Something in the suspension when going straight on certain roads. The guy at the shop couldn't hear it, Ms cruft can't hear it, cruft jr can't hear it. I think it might be a tie rod end.
  • Ms cruft's god damned water bottle again

In previous cars, rattles have meant things like "the muffler is about to fall off" or "the head gasket is about to blow" or "the CV joint has met its maker". This car's so damned quiet: my sense of things about to go seriously wrong is not properly tuned for electric cars.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 31, 2022

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

knox_harrington posted:

Oh we need pics

it's nice and clean and non-trendy (except for the missing gear shift) but my favorite part is the cloth seats!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 31, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

In the model 3, the rattles so far have been:

• Ms cruft's water bottle rattling around in the door
  • Cruft jr's water bottle rattling around in the door
  • Random junk in the back seat rattling against other junk
  • Random junk in the trunk rattling against other junk
  • My USB C upgrade hack not being properly tied down before I put the center console back together
  • Some mystery thing inside the dashboard that you can just barely hear on certain roads between 25MPH and 40MPH
  • Something in the suspension when going straight on certain roads. The guy at the shop couldn't hear it, Ms cruft can't hear it, cruft jr can't hear it. I think it might be a tie rod end.
  • Ms cruft's god damned water bottle again

In previous cars, rattles have meant things like "the muffler is about to fall off" or "the head gasket is about to blow" or "the CV joint has met its maker". This car's so damned quiet: my sense of things about to go seriously wrong is not properly tuned for electric cars.

My first one in the Mach was new sunglasses in the sunglass holder my old ones didn't rattle but the new ones did for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Elviscat posted:

We've reduced DUI related fatalities by 50% since the 80's through draconian law enforcement, we could do the same with distracted driving.

Yeah we could have cold, uncaring cameras issuing tickets automatically for this, with all the money going to some victims fund or road repairs or something.
Ditto for speeding. Why do we have cops writing speeding tickets still? they have completely abdicated this duty in my area anyway, which is why the highways are mad max these days

Doing it via camera will be way less subjective in terms of enforcement. Double the fine with every infraction. You might say this ends up a tax on the poor, but they could just stop speeding or put their phones down. If it's universally enforced, everyone slows down, and there's no speed differential danger.