Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I saw something about a movie called Slayers coming out and my blood ran cold but turns out it's just some bullshit about Thomas Jane killing vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kitfox88 posted:

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! has an anime

:hmmyes:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Chimimo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

I watched the first season of Overlord. Not great. There's a lot of really great protentional, and I like the Nazarick cast. But it's executed so poorly. There's so much talk of the different classes of adventurer, but he skips most of them. They spend three episodes with this adventuring group he hooks up with, and then they all die. It doesn't advance Momonga's character at all and in terms of plot all that knowing those people does is get him connected with the alchemist, but he already was one degree of separation from him because he saved the guy's love interest in the beginning!

One thing that was really disappointing was how magic works basically the same in the world and in the game. Early on his spell acts differently from how he expected and I assumed that would be a big part of the show and world building. But it basically doesn't come up again. And the real people even talk about magic the same way, they talk about "level 7 spells" and "world items" too! During the final battle with Shaltear, Momonga dramatically says "I used a cash shop item" but he's talking to a character from the game! That's only a badass line if he's talking to a real person who does not expect magic to work like a video game!

I don't think I'm gonna watch the next season. Instead I'm gonna watch a good Isekai.

Re:zero has a pretty big pacing issue in the second season but I thought the premise was pretty neat and the protagonist gets punished pretty heavily for being a cringey isekai guy (and then grows out of it). I think it also works because he has a pretty overpowered ability on paper but it comes with a lot of caveats that make it not really play out that way.

Reincarnated as a Slime was fun too, but it's also kind of different in that it's not really about whether the hero is strong enough to win fights because it's pretty obvious from the get-go that it's almost always the case and its more about nation-building than RPG stuff.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
idk if Commodore Perry's legacy in japan is that negative. I think it's more that it's complicated. Everyone knows that he didn't show up in Japan with positive intentions in any way but the arrival of the black ships was the impetus for the opening up of Japan and the meiji restoration which directly led to Japan being the most powerful nation in East Asia for a while (which ended badly for everyone involved but hey)

There's idealized statues of him and a monument that commemorates his landing (even though the first guy who initially pushed for the Japanese government to make the momument was some american naval officer named Lester Beardslee)

I like this bust of him in Tokyo cause it looks nothing like him. They clearly told the sculptor to make a bust of "Matthew Perry" and the guy just fully imagined what a person named "Matthew Perry" would look like and sculpted that:

anyway the dude was loving ugly as hell and the ukiyoe prints of him actually make him look better than in real life

Gripweed posted:

I watched the first season of Overlord. Not great. There's a lot of really great protentional, and I like the Nazarick cast. But it's executed so poorly. There's so much talk of the different classes of adventurer, but he skips most of them. They spend three episodes with this adventuring group he hooks up with, and then they all die. It doesn't advance Momonga's character at all and in terms of plot all that knowing those people does is get him connected with the alchemist, but he already was one degree of separation from him because he saved the guy's love interest in the beginning!

yeah also a cool thing is that early in episode 1 the skeleton loses literally all of his emotions and feelings and so he never, at any point, develops any kind of relationship or connection with anyone other than his little NPC gang.

He hangs out for a large chunk of the season with the adventurer team and after they all die he's pretty much just like "well okay they're dead lol whatever. guess i'll go after their killer just to test my formidable powers"

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Aug 31, 2022

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
overlord has two basic components: one is that the main character basically doesn’t have any idea what to do besides having an understanding of endgame combat in the mmo, which is 95% useless in his actual challenges, but the tomb denizens all expect absurd capabilities of him, and there’s some comedy around that. however the main aspect of the show is that the world they were dropped into has its own things that were going on and all the interesting characters are these existing people who fit into this world of adventurers and kings and they deal with the emergence of this unstoppable monstrous empire in different ways based on that previous experience. many, many named characters die. sometimes they survive, rarely by their own plans, and you kinda cheer for them. is that enjoyable? sometimes, but many arcs are quite unpleasant. i will say it’s a bit different from other current isekais in terms of where it places emphasis and what aspects of the premise it takes seriously, and that doesn’t count for nothing

isekais i actually like include the bookworm one and the spider one, but they both have somewhat disappointing anime adaptations. they also have several times more unadapted light novel content

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I remember seeing that Commodore Perry episode with the double subtitles when I first watched it over a decade ago, but I didn't see it when I started watching again this year. Maybe I need a different fansub?

It rules that when they finally released an official translation of the first season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei in English, they felt compelled to include a 300 page booklet explaining the jokes.

I'm trying to make it to the end of the entire series and some segments are just baffling. Still looks cool as poo poo, pretend I posted some of the OPs with correct English subtitles since as far as I can tell they all get removed except for a few and all that's left is stuff in Spanish or incorrect English translations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6ILOXQOhQ

the one i saw had the second set of subs draw heavily from an obscure 90s dragonball ova.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

part of the reason Japan is Japan is because real life sci-fi events keep happening to it. The black ships incident and the two atomic bombings are endless wells of shared cultural trauma to draw from and produce batshit insane media

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I liked that one episode of those star wars anime shorts that depicts the Empire as the Perry "opening" Japan

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

christmas boots posted:

Re:zero has a pretty big pacing issue in the second season but I thought the premise was pretty neat and the protagonist gets punished pretty heavily for being a cringey isekai guy (and then grows out of it). I think it also works because he has a pretty overpowered ability on paper but it comes with a lot of caveats that make it not really play out that way.

Reincarnated as a Slime was fun too, but it's also kind of different in that it's not really about whether the hero is strong enough to win fights because it's pretty obvious from the get-go that it's almost always the case and its more about nation-building than RPG stuff.

I wasn’t asking for recommendations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Calibanibal posted:

part of the reason Japan is Japan is because real life sci-fi events keep happening to it. The black ships incident and the two atomic bombings are endless wells of shared cultural trauma to draw from and produce batshit insane media

and being spared from the mongols by Divine Wind, twice

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
I'd also add "the saint's magic is omnipotent" or whatever the title was to the list of isekais people can actually watch. It was pretty comfy, all the characters are grown adults and the only criticisms to be made is that it's kind of a shame they take her glasses away early in the show, they looked good on her.

I mean that and obviously it might not exactly be deeply enough in the immortal science of marxism leninism, but that's kind of was going to be a given with a shojo isekai that has princes in it. Which reminds me there's going to be another villainess isekai anime in the fall lineup and I will definitely watch that, inject that stuff directly into my veins, I literally follow like 20 of these on mangadex.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

I wasn’t asking for recommendations.

Too bad, they're yours now.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Gripweed posted:

I watched the first season of Overlord. Not great. There's a lot of really great protentional, and I like the Nazarick cast. But it's executed so poorly.

Overlord is one of the most decisively mid series out there, but I stuck with it long enough for it to actually get good - at the very end of the current broadcast run. lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I shall not

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this allusion meant posted:

overlord has two basic components: one is that the main character basically doesn’t have any idea what to do besides having an understanding of endgame combat in the mmo, which is 95% useless in his actual challenges, but the tomb denizens all expect absurd capabilities of him, and there’s some comedy around that.

The best thing about Overlord IS all the side characters, that's true, but the protagonist is going through an interesting arc which is only just now paying off. Being a big honcho in his MMO guild was how the protagonist escaped his life as a loser irl and as a noobie in the game, but fulfilling his role as the leader of the Tomb is leading him down a literal path of inhumanity. He's internalized the logic of being an undead tyrant so much that he's completely lost touch with the fact that the people of the world he's invaded are actual people and he ends up committing a mass atrocity thinking he's serving the interests of Nazarick.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://twitter.com/escribosexo/status/1564751365062201344?t=-qYKVfLT_hcFPe-72pqErQ&s=33

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NSFW trailer for Cyberpunk: Edgerunners came out. It's now the only one that matters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtqIas3bYhg

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The best thing about Overlord IS all the side characters, that's true, but the protagonist is going through an interesting arc which is only just now paying off. Being a big honcho in his MMO guild was how the protagonist escaped his life as a loser irl and as a noobie in the game, but fulfilling his role as the leader of the Tomb is leading him down a literal path of inhumanity. He's internalized the logic of being an undead tyrant so much that he's completely lost touch with the fact that the people of the world he's invaded are actual people and he ends up committing a mass atrocity thinking he's serving the interests of Nazarick.

I think this is only interesting if there's any likelihood of meaningful consequences for it, mind you. Otherwise it's just 'wow the protagonist's faction is so amazingly, unstoppably evil'.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

NSFW trailer for Cyberpunk: Edgerunners came out. It's now the only one that matters.

looks like poo poo but i'll give it one episode to prove me wrong

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

It's directed by Imaishi.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tokin opposition posted:

turn your monitor on

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

tokin opposition posted:

it looked gross, frankly.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I watched a little of Overlord s1 as it aired, thought it was odd, and skippers to this current season, 4, and I can totally follow what’s happening - and it’s an okay nation building anime now.

and yeah - as a blatant season skipper and non-reader I am very curious if the show will deal with our salaryman turned undead god crossing moral event horizons like its nbd

a strategic time skip might do it idk Valrave the Liberator’s timeskip stands out to me in anime as a “oh gently caress, the repercussions of our actions!” kind of story

same deal with From the New World, but then, that follows the cast growing up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, not really. it's about monsters being monsters. occasionally silly monsters, sure, but then there's demiurge's human cattle farm.

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, not really. it's about monsters being monsters. occasionally silly monsters, sure, but then there's demiurge's human cattle farm.

that's gross too

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Seems great

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

My god, it’s perfect. I’m kind of surprised no one did this earlier

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

My god, it’s perfect. I’m kind of surprised no one did this earlier

hootin and hollerin when it cut away to julian in the kitchen

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's directed by Imaishi.

Imaishi is way more miss than hit since he left Gainax so that doesn't mean what it once did.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

simply perfect
that cover btw supplanted the original for me

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WrightOfWay posted:

Imaishi is way more miss than hit since he left Gainax so that doesn't mean what it once did.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

“in this institution” is such a funny phrase

it just works

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

so this looks

violent

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WrightOfWay posted:

did you even see promare

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I didn't

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What a shame.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Good animation, terrible soundtrack choice. Come on Trigger!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how embarrassing for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

its real gay