Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dexo posted:

WotC loves the old rake farm. They love to go and admire all the rakes they are going to step on.

Milkshake duck except Rake Corporation and still racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arivia posted:

why did they take the 3.5 version (which was in a book about water sailing) and not the original 2e version?

almost everything else about 5e is taken from 3.5, why not

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Don't tell WotC that there was D&D before 3 or they'll gently caress that up, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

moths posted:

Don't tell WotC that there was D&D before 3 or they'll gently caress that up, too.

i mean this IS them loving up some poo poo from 2e AD&D it looks like, so

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It really genuinely has no 3.5 unique content to it. I don't know where you guys are getting that from aside from old grudges.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. The problems with the 5E version are unique to the 5E version.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rockman Reserve posted:

To be honest as I read the blurb I thought “drat, a species of artificially evolved flying squirrels from space is kind of a cool concept, I don’t really see the problem?”

And then I saw the illustration that Twitter cropping had cut off and was like “….oooohhhh.”
Yeah I'd been nodding along, 'ok, ok, alright this has a lot of stuff with uplifter renegades doing the actual action not just being facilitative, alright these guys are gonna look like Rocket J. Squirrel, right?'

'Oh.'

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Me watching the original wyldspace video: Oh, those humans/elves have wing suits that let them fly through space, neat. No, wait, they’re supposed to be space flying squirrels, that’s awesome!

Me looking at that 5e spelljammer pictures: Oh. Oh, no. What are you doing?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
The one on the left is literally a capering minstrel FFS.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

moths posted:

It's cool, they've got a Boilerplate of Shielding +5. I think this is as close to "This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here...these are all priced to move" as they'll get.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

It's crazy to me that even though just the name Oriental Adventures is sketchy as hell, it is the source for D&D's pretty much only good intelligent monkey species. I've never seen a complaint about the Vanara, since they're basically just the Sun Wukong template species. Granted I am now prepared to reap the whirlwind for my profound and sincerely recognized ignorance.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It helps that Gygax was lazy, and copying a race from the Ramayana took very little effort. And so far as I know the Vanara as presented in the Ramayana ain't racist.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

This feels like a case where it was mandated that the Hadozee could no longer have "guys who switched sides during the elf/orc genocide war" as their backstory, and the replacement was also bad. Cause I can definitely see why this bit needed to be changed.

I don't really see anything from the 3.5 version that wasn't in the 2nd ed version.

You know, I get why you'd want to gut a lot of the entry for the race prior D&D editions called the "Deck Apes" but... it really says something about the capability of WotC that the best effort they could put forth on this is to dial the racism down to "a lot of overlapping issues that lead to some super disconcerting vibes on this uplifted monkey people."

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Hadozee really shouldn't be in there. They're incredibly boring stacked up against robots, slimes, bugs, gun hippos, and elves but better. Ok the elves are kinda boring too, but people love elves. People do not love Hadozee.

That said of the 10 or so people I've made Spelljammer characters with the only one who made a Hadozee is black and I'm very much not, so I'm just going to glare at WotC from a distance and not bring it up in either of my groups.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cool Dad posted:

The Hadozee really shouldn't be in there. They're incredibly boring stacked up against robots, slimes, bugs, gun hippos, and elves but better. Ok the elves are kinda boring too, but people love elves. People do not love Hadozee.

It really does seem like something that should've just been binned as an idea. Replace them with some flying squirrel people who vaguely resemble them and can climb ship masts easily and otherwise have no lore commonalities at least?

In other news, it looks like there's some drastic-as-gently caress revisions for the new Marvel RPG:

https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/pdf/MMRPG_1.2_UPDATE_COMBINED_083122.pdf

quote:

Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game: Update 1.2 Summary
We made a lot of changes in Update 1.2. Here’s a quick summary.
UPDATE – 8/31/22
* Ranks changed from 1–25 to 1–6. Ranks are meant to be a narrative
representation of a hero’s power level, not an experience-point-based level
system.
* Characters have more Ability Score Points.
* Ability Score Caps are lower.
* We eliminated Archetypes entirely.
* Each Action Modifier is now a character’s Ability plus their Rank.
* Each Defense Score is now a character’s Action Modifier plus 10.
* Karma now equals a character’s Rank.

* There are now only three kinds of actions: Move, Action, Reaction.
* Maintained and Sustained powers now last with Concentration.
* Health is now equal to a character’s Resilience Modifier multiplied by 20.

* The stats for weapons changed to fit the new Damage rules.
* We defined lethal vs. nonlethal damage.
* We eliminated damage modifiers.
* Double damage is the default result for a Fantastic Roll.
* Downed heroes can use Karma to recover Health or Focus in battle.
* We eliminated damage subtypes.
* We eliminated botches.

* Movement is expressed in 5-foot spaces rather than feet.

* Reloading a pistol, rifle, or
shotgun: not an Action.
* Reloading a submachine
gun: an Action.

Seems like they rewrote the whole core of the playtest rulebook they were selling for $10.00. I wonder if they'll send out updated PDFs of the book itself?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

A supers game with movement expressed in 5-foot increments is a very bad sign.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

* Reloading a pistol, rifle, or shotgun: not an Action.
* Reloading a submachine gun: an Action.
Holy poo poo, this is irrevocably hosed

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The game is going to be in print in April, so plenty of time to gather feedback and make sure everything is balanced.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That game is a loving mess. I thumbed through the playtest book that was being sold in Barnes & Noble (lol) and these changes don't fix anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is the basic die mechanic still built around a jokey 6-1-6 reference?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
You can't balance approaching design completely wrong from first principles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's a great sign when something as basic as how defenses are calculated or whether damage subtypes exist and fundamental action economy is being rewritten on the fly

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Crisis of Infinite Rules Permutations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's a great sign when something as basic as how defenses are calculated or whether damage subtypes exist and fundamental action economy is being rewritten on the fly
Glad to see that the RPG is getting the same quality service the CGI, editing and arts direction departments of the film division has been investing in.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"We built our entire game around renamed D&D stats and a joke about multiverse numbers. Wait what do you mean it's bad."

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

CitizenKeen posted:

The game is going to be in print in April, so plenty of time to gather feedback and make sure everything is balanced.

Not really, no.

Given current shipping schedules, that's 3-4 months, assuming no delays, so for a large release, less. Which is decent compared to most rpg schedules, but not 'plenty of time' for a main rulebook. We also have no idea where they are with art and layout so...

PST fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 31, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Changing the game from having 1-25 ranks to 1-6 is a pretty crazy reduction in scale, too. Plus removing archetypes, which were basically the superhero character classes. Honestly, every change points to most of their feedback being "This game is too bloated with fiddly 90s game design cruft" and them desperately slashing as much of that out as they can. Not sure it's possible to properly recover from such a heavy reworking of literally everything.... but good luck to them.

I did confirm that the digital versions on Roll20 and Demiplane will get the updates at least :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

homullus posted:

de novo generation of the properties and possible interactions of "things" (creatures, magic/tech, hazards) + infinite clones/resurrections + light legacy mechanics to give a tiny impact to your (in)glorious demises = probably pretty fun if you have a spreadsheet/file/app to track it
Hmmm.

I'm now thinking of a legacy game where the GM generates a bunch of hazards and supplied The Village with semi-true rumours about them. Then you spin up characters, go dungeon delve in The Zone, get All Messed Up doing stuff, and the survivors come home with stuff to sell for money/use for improving the town. Then the next adventure is set ~20 years later with a new layer of hazards on top, playing characters from the next generation of villagers armed with knowledge of the results of the last trip.

And as the campaign goes on each new round of adventurers is starting off with better equipment and knowledge but also are themselves becoming weirder and weirder due to weird tech and magical genetic damage.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nuns with Guns posted:

Changing the game from having 1-25 ranks to 1-6 is a pretty crazy reduction in scale, too. Plus removing archetypes, which were basically the superhero character classes. Honestly, every change points to most of their feedback being "This game is too bloated with fiddly 90s game design cruft" and them desperately slashing as much of that out as they can. Not sure it's possible to properly recover from such a heavy reworking of literally everything.... but good luck to them.
I'm thinking about becoming an MMRPG hipster, insisting on playing only the playtest version of the rules because they alone represent the true uncompromised original vision of the designer

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nuns with Guns posted:

In other news, it looks like there's some drastic-as-gently caress revisions for the new Marvel RPG:

https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/pdf/MMRPG_1.2_UPDATE_COMBINED_083122.pdf

Seems like they rewrote the whole core of the playtest rulebook they were selling for $10.00. I wonder if they'll send out updated PDFs of the book itself?

lol what a loving doomed enterprise. This is going to be a trashfire. And here I thought it was just going to be mediocre!

quote:

* Reloading a pistol, rifle, or
shotgun: not an Action.
* Reloading a submachine
gun: an Action.

Gonna need someone to explain themselves on this one!

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 31, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PST posted:

Not really, no.

Given current shipping schedules, that's 3-4 months, assuming no delays, so for a large release, less. Which is decent compared to most rpg schedules, but not 'plenty of time' for a main rulebook. We also have no idea where they are with art and layout so...

I was being facetious.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

This is such a waste of time. Can't wait to pay $10 for branded 3d6 where one of the d6s has an extra 6 instead of a 1. I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes FFG's bespoke dice but they at least put in some loving effort.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

PST posted:

Not really, no.

April was four months ago.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

Holy poo poo, this is irrevocably hosed

I got to that part and I must've spent a solid 45 seconds alternating between staring confusedly into space and then re-reading it.

I can't even tell if that's bonkers decisions or just a really elaborate typo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As far as I can tell, the thing about submachine guns is that they're multi-attack weapons, so my assumption is that them needing an action cost to be reloaded is a balance tradeoff for that, though the pdf doesn't explain it in so many words.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

As far as I can tell, the thing about submachine guns is that they're multi-attack weapons, so my assumption is that them needing an action cost to be reloaded is a balance tradeoff for that, though the pdf doesn't explain it in so many words.

Which is certainly a weird kludge. So Matt Forbeck is saying the Punisher can thumb a bunch of shells into a shotgun faster than he can swap out a clip. Very odd. It could lead to the optimal firearm strat going around with a bunch of derringers or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Matt Forbeck you've done it again!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

This is such a waste of time. Can't wait to pay $10 for branded 3d6 where one of the d6s has an extra 6 instead of a 1. I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes FFG's bespoke dice but they at least put in some loving effort.

Ahahahahahahah.

They eliminated botching.....because reasons? What the absolute gently caress?! Are they trying to build their system off D&D with the serial numbers filed off or are they going for a storyteller system type thing with the serial number filed off because I am deeply confused by all of this.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'd argue getting rid of botches is good design, unless specifically aiming for a game that emulates comedic or grisly incompetence.
Other than say Black Cat's jinx ability Marvel comics aren't normally telling stories where Thor trips over his cape, or Wolverine tries to intimate someone by popping out his claws but keeps comedically spraying blood from his knuckles.

Of course that's just this dev doing scattershot stuff, not actual intentional gamemaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

joylessdivision posted:

Ahahahahahahah.

They eliminated botching.....because reasons? What the absolute gently caress?! Are they trying to build their system off D&D with the serial numbers filed off or are they going for a storyteller system type thing with the serial number filed off because I am deeply confused by all of this.

The design team, lead by Matt Forbeck, who did a lot of work on various games in the 90s and early 2000s, including his edgy superhero RPG: Brave New World, made a bespoke new system for the Marvel RPG: the "All-New, All-Different d616 System"

Here's an overview pre-errata:

https://www.cbr.com/marvels-multiverse-rpg-breaks-down-its-iconic-d616-system/ posted:

Action checks in what Marvel is officially calling the "d616" system operate differently than they would in comparable RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons. In the context of the Marvel Multiverse RPG, the difficulty of an action is determined by the Narrator, the game's version of a gamemaster. That difficulty is represented by the Target Number, which players roll to beat. While all of that ought to be somewhat familiar to anyone with experience running an RPG, Target Numbers have some unique facets.

A Target Number is calculated based on rank -- the book includes a hefty table of ranks and their corresponding Target Number -- plus a modifier determined based on the relative difficulty of the task. Difficulty is separated into a group of adjectives: Trivial, which is a -7 modifier, Easy (-4), Routine (-2), Challenging, which imposes no modifier, Difficult (+2), Ridiculous (+4) and Impossible (+7).

Once the Target Number is determined based on a combination of rank and difficulty, players roll three six-sided dice, one of which is a special "Marvel die," and attempt to beat the Target Number. As in many RPGs, players have ability modifiers that make things slightly easier for their superheroes, although those modifiers operate a bit differently than in other games. Instead of raising a player's roll, modifiers decrease the Target Number. For instance, if a Target Number is 25 and a player character's corresponding modifier is 8, the player would only need to roll a 17.

If all those numbers make a player's head spin, the playtest rulebook encourages them to use a calculator -- and they might need it, considering there are still some more aspects to the d616 conflict resolution system. One of the most important elements of the system is the "Marvel die," a standard six-sided die with a Marvel logo instead of a one, or simply a different color from the other two if the player doesn't wish to buy the specialty die. If a player rolls the Marvel logo, they may use it as a six rather than a one in nearly every situation. That's a pretty big statistical advantage, but it comes with a catch: if the other two dice are also ones, the Marvel logo counts as a one as well, causing an instant failure in all situations.

There's also Edge, a mechanic in the Marvel Multiverse RPG that allows players to twist situations in their favor. Edge works similarly to advantage in Dungeons & Dragons, allowing players to reroll one of their three dice and take the greater of the two rolls, provided they roll under optimal circumstances. On the flip side, Trouble operates similarly to D&D's disadvantage, allowing the Narrator to choose a die for the player to reroll and forcing them to use the worse outcome, provided the situation is fittingly troublesome.