Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Is this a new Trails of Cold Steel game?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Is this the new island sanctuary stuff in FF14?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Is this the new patch notes for Caves of Qud?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yes

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alright, end of the month means an upcoming games post for the next month. September isn't quite as banger a month but it's still got some notable releases. A lot of games that could be described as "a mix of (X) and (Y) genres":

Gerda (9/1) - Dontnod gets into the publishing game, publishing this interesting looking WW2 narrative title with stat checks and an art style that looks like if you made an oil painting of a PS1 game.

Mythbusters: the Game (9/1) - It's probably not going to be very good but it's at least notable enough to report on. Published by a company mostly known for (X) Simulator games, this seems to be along the same path, only with a coating of Mythbusters paint. Like yes you'll be experimenting, but also buying parts and assembling which is a typical thing with this genre.

Restless Soul (9/1) - A bit low budget looking, but it has been featured in a couple of events, and often included in reels of Paper Mario inspired games. This one isn't as literal as others, though, opting for giant pixels and bullet hell combat rather than turn based RPG battles.

Chenso Club (9/1) - A very colorful looking action roguelite with a focus on different playable characters with their own gimmicks and abilities. Demo available.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle R (9/1) ($50) - I'll be honest, I have no idea if this is going to be any good but I think people would go "WHAT ABOUT THE JOJO GAME" if I didn't mention it. It's CyberConnect, but unlike their Naruto games this looks like a traditional side fighter.

The Ramen Sensei (9/5) - It's Kairosoft, you either know what that means or you don't.

Railbound (9/6) - An adorable looking train puzzler by the developer of Golf Peaks and Inbento.

Circus Electrique (9/6) - Kind of looks like if Darkest Dungeon was about a steampunk circus troupe. By Zen Studios, more commonly known for the Pinball FX series.

Disney Dreamlight Valley (9/6) (Early Access) - A life-sim where you live among Disney heroes and villains, by a company generally known for copycat-AAA mobile games (Gameloft). I kinda wish they gave this project to a developer who actually has experience in the subject, but Disney has never been good at picking partners for video game development.

Gloomwood (9/6) (Early Access) - Okay, let's try this again. Gloomwood is 'Thief with guns', co-led by the creator of DUSK. The game was supposed to release last month but got an 11th hour delay, so here it is now. Does not seem like it will have a TON of content to start off but should still provide a few hours of fun before you hit the inevitable months-long wait for the next content update. Pre-alpha demo build is still available.

Nine Noir Lives (9/7) - A point n click adventure with animals that isn't Chicken Police. Instead it's starring a cat with kind of creepy looking eyes. It's like a cat face got mixed with an emoji or a Mii or something. I played the demo 2 years ago, it was alright. Demo available.

Kaichu (9/7) - A cute but odd dating sim involving kaiju by the developer of long-ago adventure-platformer Tick Tock Isle. Demo available.

Trail Out (9/7) - Looks to be an attempt to make a spiritual successor to Flatout.

Tower Princess (9/8) - Combination of hack & slash and 3d platformer, with a lite amount of dating. The demo did not wow me but it was almost 2 years ago at this point, so maybe the gameplay's been refined since then.

Steelrising (9/8) ($50) - First of all, I cannot fathom anyone purchasing a Spiders game at full price, so please don't do that. But this is one of two similar-looking ARPGs set in a clockworky Victorian setting, the other being Lies of P. Personally, I think Lies of P has the crunchiness and weight of the combat nailed down a lot more, and also this is a SPIDERS GAME, but that never seems to stop people from buying them. Just don't be too let down when you remember this is the same developer as Bound by Flame and Mars: War Logs.

Jack Move (9/8) - Okay, back on track. A stylish, turn-based JRPG set in a vibrant cyberpunk world, where your abilities are all hacker-themed. The demo for this was pretty fun so I'm looking forward to seeing how this reviews. Free prologue available.

Roadwarden (9/8) - An intriguing hybrid of CYOA and adventure game with a muted but pretty polished look to it. Definitely has that feel of a digital gamebook but with an in-game clock, and inventory puzzling. Demo available.

Isle of Arrows (9/8) - Isle of Arrows combines tower defense with cards, that allow you to place down paths, or obstacles, or weapon towers, etc. Demo available.

Hyperviolent (9/8) - Stop me if you've heard this one before: a retro-style shooter with an Early Access period. Looks like this one will also have occasional spaceship flying, Descent style, along with the usual Doomy antics.

One Dreamer (9/9) - A narrative puzzle game involving rewriting the code of the world. The puzzles are based on C#, but I assume it's not going to have super hardcore coding in it outside of optional puzzles. There's a free prologue available to try.

Broken Pieces (9/9) - An action-adventure game set in a village trapped outside of time. Looks like it has a mix of walking-simmy narrative gameplay and Resident Evil style combat, inventory management, and puzzles.

RPG Time: The Legend of Wright (9/13) - This extremely busy looking screen is a hand-crafted RPG with a lot of interactive elements and a very chaotic UI. The main play area is primarily notebook drawings, but there will also be elements outside the game area to interact with as well. There's no set/routine combat as it apparently will shift from turn-based battles to bullet hell to hack & slash to rhythm, etc. Game has spent 9 years in development.

Freedom Planet 2 (9/13) - I'm not sure how long this sequel has been in the can but the release date for this game was set back in March, so either they had a lot of confidence in hitting their targets or they had already finished the game by then. Anyway, this is the sequel to the 16-bit hybrid (gently caress I'm saying that a lot) of Sonic and Sparkster that was quite successful back in... 2014?!?! gently caress, time is a prison.

Little Orpheus (9/13) - The Dear Esther dev's sudden pivot to cinematic platforming, Little Orpheus could definitely be compared to Planet Alpha. This was previously an Apple Arcade exclusive and now hitting PC/console for the first time.

Sunday Gold (9/13) - Next up on the drink menu, a cocktail of point and click adventure game and turn-based RPG battles with AP. This one grabbed my interest immediately when I saw it at E3, and I'm curious to see how the use of ability points in typical investigation will work, or if it will hinder the experience. Free prologue demo available.

The Wandering Village (9/13?) (Early Access) - An apocalyptic city builder where you build a society living on the back on a giant mythical creature. Has been shown at a number of events over the last couple of years. The date isn't exact (just "Sept 2022" on the Steam page) but that's where it is in the queue.

Deadwater Saloon (9/14) - Run your own saloon and deal with the many circumstances and situations that arise from it. This has already gotten posted about a few times from goons over the last couple of pages but now you have a definitive date for it. Free prologue available.

Metal Hellsinger (9/15) - A rhythm-based first person shooter. Important things to note in a comparison to the game Bullets Per Minute: this one is handcrafted, not a roguelite, and has a bunch of notable metal musicians contributing to the soundtrack. Demo available.

Foretales (9/15) - A card-based CYOA game with turn-based combat and branching storylines (I don't think it is a roguelite). Demo available.

Ankora: Lost Days (9/15?) - A prequel to Deiland and Summer in Mara by the same developer, this is a life-sim/survival game set in a very cubical world (not minecraft, per se, just very large cubic tiles). Chibig is like the textbook definition of a 'Mostly Positive' game dev, so I'm curious to see whether this lands on the side of 'mostly good' or if the reviews will be full of "i wish I didn't have to choose Recommend or Not Recommend".

Whateverland (9/15) - Point and click adventure about escaping a magical prison. Seems to be a little similar to The Big Con in that there's a thieving playstyle in addition to the 'good person' approach. Apparently is non-linear and will let you tackle chapters in any order, and switch at any time if you're stuck. Demo available.

Wayward Strand (9/15) - A story game with real-time clock/character behavior set on a floating hospital ship. Befriend people, learn their secrets. Eavesdrop on conversations. The game is meant to be played multiple times as many characters will be doing things/conversing simultaneously so it's up to you whose story you decide to follow.

Trifox (9/16?) - I can't really say that this one was for me after playing the demo during a Steam festival, but it's definitely a polished game. It's an overhead action game but with a 3D platformer aesthetic to it... the game claims to be inspired specifically by 3D platformers but I didn't quite feel it in the gameplay itself. It's definitely going for that look though.

Return to Monkey Island (9/19) ($25) - At this point you either like the art or hate it, but either way, it's a legitimate Monkey Island sequel for the first time in over a decade (longer if you decide that Telltale's doesn't count or something??), written by Ron Gilbert, with Dominic as Guybrush. We'll see if it finally restores MI's good name or if it ends up being another disappointing sequel.

Soulstice (9/20) - Despite the title, Soulstice has more in common with splashy action games than anything from From. This is a highly slicey and dicey game with uptempo combat and large bosses. It looks kinda mid-budget so it will probably struggle in comparison to the heavyweights, but maybe it'll be priced reasonably. Demo available.

Salt 2 (9/20) (Early Access) - I include this game for the one person who raved about Salt once in this thread a long time ago. I know this dev more for Wild West & Wizards which was a respectable (if poorly-optimized) bedroom-dev attempt at bridging a Skyrim-type game with a Wild West setting. Salt is more about open seas exploration with an infinite procgen world, not really my thing personally.

No Place for Bravery (9/22) - Top down pixel ARPG with some really nice looking architectural set pieces and "Sekiro-esque" combat.

Beacon Pines (9/22) (Gamepass) - CYOA with a unique charm mechanic where you receive charms with words on them during the course of the game, and use them to replace words in the narration to alter the story. Has some really gorgeous hand painted environments.

Slime Rancher 2 (9/22) (Gamepass) (early access) - After five long years, it's time to harvest plorts again. The sequel is set on a new island with new slime types and new gadgets.

Serial Cleaners (9/22) - The sequel to one of my favorite arcade-stealth games of the last few years, brings Serial Cleaner into the third dimension, as well as adding multiple protagonists with their own abilities. While Serial Cleaner was set in the 80s, Cleaners is set in the 90s in NYC.

The Diofield Chronicle (9/22) ($60) - This is, like, the 500th game Square has released this year, and it's another SRPG. In a year that's already been dominated by SRPGs, will Diofield do enough to rise above the competition, some of which is from Square itself? Demo available.

Potion Permit (9/22) - A life sim about an apothecary that defeats monsters and uses their ingredients to create potions to heal the many sick and wounded of the town. Demo available.

Outcore (9/26) - One of those "meta" games that involves your actual desktop and applications. I include it here primarily for the novelty. Demo available.

Monorail Stories (9/26) - Not too dissimilar to Wayward Strand, here's a CYOA on a series of trains where you choose who to interact with and how you impact them. Has an 'asynchronous' mode where a second player plays the other protagonist separately from you.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits (9/27) - Kena was, I thought, a pretty good game, even for a (shudder) open-world title. A game that has nods to the old PS2 days but with a modern sheen and CG animated film look. Despite its looks, it actually has pretty challenging combat and tenacious bosses.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (9/27) - Falcom made some really good Trails games, and then, because they were so behind on localizing, decided to skip over the "Crossbell" arc to get to the more modern Cold Steel series so that they could, y'know, sell their games on modern consoles. Now, whether you liked those bad games or not, you can't argue that the aesthetic of CS is quite different from the PSP days of Falcom, and boy have I missed that pre-rendered sprite on 3D look. That's right, good Trails is back baby.

Dome Keeper (9/27) - I just posted about this one last week during Gamescom, but it's already coming out this soon. A roguelite mix of dig-down resource mining games and missile commandy tower defense, I'm curious to see what endgame looks/feels like. Is this one that can even be beaten or purely a score chaser/how long can you last kind of game?

Moonscars (9/27) (Gamepass) - While the grim aesthetic won't be for everyone, I really like the well-animated sprites and... well, it's a Metroidvania so you know I gotta geek out about that. I found the demo to be decent but not spectacular.

The Fridge is Red (9/27) - An analog PS1-style horror game, the likes of which you'd likely see on a Haunted Demo Disc if they had done one this year (did they announce anything of the sort at EEK3 by the way? I missed it).

Moonbreaker (9/29) (Early Access) - Another game announced at Gamescom, Moonbreaker is a dramatic shift from Subnautica devs Unknown Worlds into the TBS genre, where you fill out a roster of characters represented as minifigs, which you can even paint yourself.

From Space (9/29) - A good ol' fashioned twin stick shooter with 1-4 player coop. Note, by the dev of AereA, one of the few games to have a Mostly Negative rating on Steam (35% score). Hopefully they've learned from that game.

Brewmaster (9/29) - A simulation game all about homebrewing. Enter competitions, create recipes, unlock new equipment, and design your own labels/brands.

What I'm looking forward to: Gerda, Railbound, Gloomwood, Jack Move, Roadwarden, RPG Time, Freedom Planet 2, Sunday Gold, Return to Monkey Island, Beacon Pines, Slime Rancher 2, Serial Cleaners, Potion Permit, Trails from Zero

Other possible September games, based on their current position in the Steam queue: The Spirit & the Mouse, Crimson Tactics, Fraymakers, ValiDate, Wylde Flowers, Monster Outbreak

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 31, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

here i am trying to cut salt out of my diet and they made salt 2, the sequel to salt??

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"whateverland" is the most low effort name i've ever seen good lord

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Pumped for Slime Rancher 2. Sometimes I want to jump back in and suck up more plorts, but I've got 69 hours on my playtime - you know I can't mess with that.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

First new gpu in 6 years and I'm going to play a fmv game on it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bless your goddamned heart, 7th Guest.

Come to think of it, I never played the 7th Guest game.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
gently caress you I am buying Steelrising day 1.

All jokes aside, they are the absolute best jank-fest games modeled after big name western AAA games that have an insane amount of their own charm.

Although, yes, Bound By Flame was bad and I think actually broken (had to cheat at the halfway point to even beat the game) but Technomancer and Greedfall were shockingly good.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 31, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

Railbound (9/6) - An adorable looking train puzzler by the developer of Golf Peaks and Inbento.
I don't even generally like puzzle games and I want to buy this purely based on the art style

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Whoops wrong thread

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

spaceblancmange posted:

First new gpu in 6 years and I'm going to play a fmv game on it.

The circle of games

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hellsinger demo was great.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

pentyne posted:

All jokes aside, they are the absolute best jank-fest games modeled after big name western AAA games that have an insane amount of their own charm.

Although, yes, Bound By Flame was bad and I think actually broken (had to cheat at the halfway point to even beat the game) but Technomancer and Greedfall were shockingly good.

I actually prefer War Logs to Technomancer myself; the game just felt a lot more gritty than Technomancer's flashier presentation, at least for me.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

pentyne posted:

I really enjoyed Technomancer, but haven’t gotten Greedfall yet. It looks like fun, too. The jank in Elex was charming to me, so I guess I need to get the gold edition of Greedfall next time it’s near its atl again.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
The name Technomancer deserved a better game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

The name Technomancer deserved a better game

Good news then, because it's also a class in Square Enix's AAA franchise, Outriders.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mordja posted:

Good news then, because it's also a class in Square Enix's AAA franchise, Outriders.

Why would you do this to someone

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The 7th Guest posted:

The Fridge is Red (9/27) - An analog PS1-style horror game, the likes of which you'd likely see on a Haunted Demo Disc if they had done one this year (did they announce anything of the sort at EEK3 by the way? I missed it).

You bet your rear end they did https://hauntedps1.itch.io/demo-disc-spectral-mall

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I just beat Doom 64, finally playing it again almost twenty five years later. It suffered from some incredibly cruel "puzzles" (?) where you flipped a switch and then wandered around the level to see what wall or door opened up, usually to reveal just a room with bad guys and another fuckin Mystery Switch. But it was a good game! The enemy redesigns were neat, and I guess they were meant to just look like higher-res versions of the Doom sprites but haha then you coat it with that N64 blur and everything just looks like garbage. The "music" is just drones with some strange sounds. Game felt just like another classic Doom. Concludes with this very appropriate Doom splash:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Spiritual successor to Flatout? Shiieeeeet.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ZearothK posted:

Bless your goddamned heart, 7th Guest.

Come to think of it, I never played the 7th Guest game.

It's great. Go play it! You'll need to read the PC wiki to fix one of the puzzles, but it's worth it. When I was growing up my grandma got me into videogames and that was one of the first games we played together. She had a kickass computer in 1993 and those FMV cutscenes were intense. She had all the 90 era mystery FMV games and we played through a ton of them together.

RIP Charlene. The end to Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within sure was some bullshit.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

Awesome stuff

hey just wanted to say thanks for all these writeups, you've pointed me toward some games I've really loved but otherwise wouldn't have ever known about.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Yeah same, thanks so much 7th Guest

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
One day I'll add all my screenshots of these posts to my wishlist, so I wanna say thanks from Future Me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

helllllll yeah

oh yeah, also the spaceventure game that was kickstarted like a decade ago is supposed to come out on the 15th

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

One more title got a release date between my post and now:

The Outbound Ghost (9/21) - Probably the most notable indie Paper Mario-like to come out since the release of Bug Fables.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

credburn posted:

I just beat Doom 64, finally playing it again almost twenty five years later. It suffered from some incredibly cruel "puzzles" (?) where you flipped a switch and then wandered around the level to see what wall or door opened up, usually to reveal just a room with bad guys and another fuckin Mystery Switch. But it was a good game! The enemy redesigns were neat, and I guess they were meant to just look like higher-res versions of the Doom sprites but haha then you coat it with that N64 blur and everything just looks like garbage. The "music" is just drones with some strange sounds. Game felt just like another classic Doom. Concludes with this very appropriate Doom splash:

You still have another episode to finish for Doom64. :P

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Looking at a fanatical bundle, anyone try:
Battle fleet gothic: armada 2
Unity of Command 2
Dead Poly
The house of da Vinci
Just die already
Farmers life
Samorost 3
Machinarium

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

house of da vinci is a decent Room clone, although it was unmemorable enough that i had bought it a second time accidentally not realizing I had already played through it, haha

machinarium is a dialog-less point and click classic by the Samorost dev, it still holds up I think in terms of puzzles because it likes to keep its solutions/items all in the same room, so it's really kind of 'level' based in that sense, outside of the one part where you're in the city going back and forth. I have Samorost 3 but unfortunately haven't played it yet so I can't give a review

not related to your post, but thanks to Kragger for the gifts! (just so they know they didn't go to an imposter or something, lol)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

This one's getting up there in years and I think they decided to update this game remade from the ground up when Flash suddenly hit EOL. At any rate I remember it being a nice solid traditional point-and-click that communicates everything without text. I'd expect Samorost 3 to fill a very similar niche, same devs and they know what formula works for them.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

fit em all up in there posted:

Unity of Command 2
Dead Poly
The house of da Vinci
Just die already
Farmers life
Samorost 3
Machinarium

Unity of Command 2 is a non-grog wargame, with some parts that feel like a puzzle game (i.e. "How do I arrange my attacks so I can take this bridge without losing my mechanised division?"). It's really good, if you're into that sort of thing. Completing a scenario is relatively easy, but taking every objective (and optional objective) according to HQ's timetable takes some real skill. It's got some neat alt-hist paths, like the US racing for Berlin, or Germany invading France before Norway. The base game is just the Western Allies campaign, Tunisia to the end of the war, which is relatively easy and generous with resources. There are also German and Soviet campaigns as DLC.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The 7th Guest posted:

house of da vinci is a decent Room clone, although it was unmemorable enough that i had bought it a second time accidentally not realizing I had already played through it, haha

I liked Da Vinci, because although it had much less style than The Room games, I felt there was a little bit of challenge there. Not loads mind you, but I find the Room games to be more like atmospheric clickers, with little to no challenge in their "puzzles", so Da Vinci was a nice change.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Unity of Command 2
Dead Poly
The house of da Vinci
Just die already
Farmers life
Samorost 3
Machinarium

BFG:A2 is supposed to be good.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are some games that have options for good German voiceovers while still keeping subtitles and game language in English?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unity of Command 2
Dead Poly
The house of da Vinci
Just die already
Farmers life
Samorost 3
Machinarium

Battlefleet Gothic 2 is an extremely good strategy game in the vein of Total War, ie. turn/action point based strategic layer with real time battles when fleets meet. It’s not as expansive as the newer Total Wars but you get a story campaign for 3 factions and 12 in total to play as in skirmishes (quick real time battles).

You can play the campaigns in co-op too. In the real time battles you decide who can control which ships (host/guest/both) so you don’t have to step over each other while in the strategic layer both players can do almost everything but only the host can build fleets and ships. The only thing co-op really removes is the ability to slow down the real time battles to half speed or pause them entirely.

It is kind of disappointing that so many of the factions are only available in the skirmish mode but the 3 campaigns are still pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The 7th Guest posted:

Slime Rancher 2 (9/22) (Gamepass) (early access) - After five long years, it's time to harvest plorts again. The sequel is set on a new island with new slime types and new gadgets.

gasp

slime rancher was pretty great so i'm real happy to hear this. thanks for doing these effortposts