Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

They aren't impacted as heavily by less fertile soils. If you have good soil to plant in, plant anything else.
Potatoes are also less labor intensive than rice, but faster to grow than corn. They do have a niche if you've harvested some rice but don't have the pawns to spare for frequent rice harvesting, and also don't have enough food stockpiled to wait for corn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

Potatoes are also less labor intensive than rice, but faster to grow than corn. They do have a niche if you've harvested some rice but don't have the pawns to spare for frequent rice harvesting, and also don't have enough food stockpiled to wait for corn.

Fair. That kind of food crunch is usually when I panic cull every edible animal on the map.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Your icon is adorable.

For starter crops in vanilla (ish) Rimworld, I've been planting rice the first day, corn first day if there's time, otherwise corn, cotton, and smokeweed (skills permitting) second day. What's the advantage of potatoes?

:tipshat:

Potatoes and haygrass have low fertility sensitivity, meaning they're less effected by low-quality soil. There's a fertility overlay button in the bottom right that will helpfully point out which squares might be more suitable for potatoes.

Fertility only effects growth time, yield is still the same. For instance Sand has a fertility of 10%, so Corn grows at 10% of their normal rate, whereas Potatoes still grow at 64% of their normal rate. This is especially important in hot or cold biomes; this combination of bad temperature and bad soil may mean that corn never becomes harvestable before rotting in the ground while the more robust potatoes are growing into full harvests

Corn is still the most efficient in terms of labor

On temperate forest maps the worst fertility you usually have to deal with is 70%, usually right next to stone (e.g. stony soil). Corn grows at 70% rate, Potatoes at 88% rate. Corn is still my preference at this fertility, your daily yield is lower with corn than potatoes but your labor efficiency is way higher with corn.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If I don’t have rich soil available, I’ll usually plant a potato or half potato crop after the initial rice harvest. They’re a nice balance where you don’t need as much work as rice, but they come in faster than corn, and a faster crop is a safer crop- less chance for things like a toxic fallout or cold snap or fire or poison ship or something to wreck the harvest.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah iirc rice, potatoes, and corn are each roughly 2x growth time for 2x yield, in standard soil. So potatoes can be a transition crop to corn, if you want that

That's also true for shelf life; rice rots the fastest (unfrozen), corn the slowest. Put raw corn in a big silo next to your fields

The low sensitivity of potatoes also means you really shouldn't put potatoes in rich soil, since it benefits less from high fertility

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My crop strategy is usually running both rice and corn at the same time, since rice is good for getting experience to allow planting healroot and devilstrand. If I transition to hydroponics it'll end up all rice because you can't grow corn in hydroponics but by then I ought to have enough pawns and/or field hands that the labor isn't a problem.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Some of the artificial stomachs will also make the people they're installed in start uncontrollably vomit if they get tagged by EMP. Might not be base game though, hell if I know any more at this point.
I think the only base game interaction is colonists getting stunned/downed by EMP if they have any of the Royalty brain implant stuff. Which mind you is still hilarious on its own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the dynamic of having to selectively choose crops on biomes where even the bad soil is rare. After awhile you can move healroot, psychoid, and smokeleaf into hydroponics basins, so those can grow anywhere, but corn and devilstrand need to be planted in the ground. So do you need more clothes or more food?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

QuarkJets posted:

I like the dynamic of having to selectively choose crops on biomes where even the bad soil is rare. After awhile you can move healroot, psychoid, and smokeleaf into hydroponics basins, so those can grow anywhere, but corn and devilstrand need to be planted in the ground. So do you need more clothes or more food?

I play Rimefeller a lot so the answer is "Hyperweave silly, devilstrand is for scrubs".

As far as food crops I usually do my damndest to get hydroponics with rice going as soon as possible. I consider it my gold standard for disaster- and season-resistant food supply. If there's natural soil that's nice and I'll do whatever's available out there but it's always mentally flagged as "that dangerous, at-risk bonus stuff"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Been a while since I've played, have there been any new breakthroughs on improving performance in the last few months? Rocketman was an absolute blessing

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Anyone got a recommendation for a mod or game setting that lets you move pawns in formation? I'm getting my war squad together and I'm running into the problem that when I move them as a group they end up in an awful formation and if I move them individually it takes forever. I'd really like to be able to tell them to move and have them end up with the melee guys in front doing their job and not standing in the rear watching the shooters get loving torn to shreds.

In animal news tonight I tamed a Frilleus! loving awesome!

Frilleus 1
Alzheimer's (Major)
Dementia
Bad Back
Coronary Artery (Major)

The very picture of 150 year-old health! The motherfucker has spent like 50% of its time in a sad wander since I tamed it because its brain is at like 5% efficiency.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

JonathonSpectre posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a mod or game setting that lets you move pawns in formation? I'm getting my war squad together and I'm running into the problem that when I move them as a group they end up in an awful formation and if I move them individually it takes forever. I'd really like to be able to tell them to move and have them end up with the melee guys in front doing their job and not standing in the rear watching the shooters get loving torn to shreds.

Sounds like you need Achtung!.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Sometimes I get an error where my cooks will become obsessed with hauling every single item of unstored food on the map before they will deign to cook a single meal. This will happen even if I unassign them from hauling and try to manually force them to cook. Anyone know what might cause this?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

showbiz_liz posted:

Sometimes I get an error where my cooks will become obsessed with hauling every single item of unstored food on the map before they will deign to cook a single meal. This will happen even if I unassign them from hauling and try to manually force them to cook. Anyone know what might cause this?

First, verify that your meal job is actually able to use the ingredients that are in your kitchen and that your pawn is able to access them. Check what ingredients you have, check that those correspond to ingredients that the meal accepts, and check that your pawn can access those ingredients (e.g. check its zone assignment). Post screenshots if you want help identifying what might be wrong

If all of that stuff looks normal then it's a weird mod interaction and I have no idea what could cause it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

showbiz_liz posted:

Pick Up and Haul (I think, could be a related mod) has a setting for topping off stockpiles 'on the way' to collecting work bill items. I had to disable it because it didn't understand Deep Storage containers and ended up costing more time than it saved, but I could see it causing weirdness if your cooks are grabbing ingredients in the field.

Other potential culprits might be a mod to prioritize bringing in perishables (shouldn't be happening if you disabled hauling labor for your cook though), or a mod that encourages using ingredients closer to expiry (stuff in the field are technically closer to expiring than frozen stuff).

Have you tried setting a maximum search radius on your cooking bills? I normally do that when I don't want my cook to waste time grabbing some berries from the other side of the map.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

isndl posted:

Pick Up and Haul (I think, could be a related mod) has a setting for topping off stockpiles 'on the way' to collecting work bill items. I had to disable it because it didn't understand Deep Storage containers and ended up costing more time than it saved, but I could see it causing weirdness if your cooks are grabbing ingredients in the field.

Other potential culprits might be a mod to prioritize bringing in perishables (shouldn't be happening if you disabled hauling labor for your cook though), or a mod that encourages using ingredients closer to expiry (stuff in the field are technically closer to expiring than frozen stuff).

Have you tried setting a maximum search radius on your cooking bills? I normally do that when I don't want my cook to waste time grabbing some berries from the other side of the map.

I had to stop using Pick Up and Haul because pawns would just stuff their inventories full and then never unload.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nothing the drop all inventory mod can't handle

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The top ~25% of the map I'm on is one giant mountain, if I dig up in to it am I going to unleash hell on my poor base?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Reik posted:

The top ~25% of the map I'm on is one giant mountain, if I dig up in to it am I going to unleash hell on my poor base?

Usually no. I love Dwarf-Fortressing. Just build things from day one to tolerate bug infestations. Or mod them out because I hate them anyway.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm setting up my first kill tunnel thing, this is what I was thinking:

the barricade down the middle is meant to coerce them on to the traps without providing meaningful cover, anything big I'm doing wrong with this design?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Reik posted:

I'm setting up my first kill tunnel thing, this is what I was thinking:

the barricade down the middle is meant to coerce them on to the traps without providing meaningful cover, anything big I'm doing wrong with this design?

this looks pretty flammable, which is nice

make sure that there's a bend before you enter the death tunnel, so a raider can't sit back and pick off your turrets with a hunting rifle

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reik posted:

Yeah from time to time you'll get infestations somewhere that has overhead mountain. An infestation takes the place of some other kind of raid, and I'd rather have bugs than mechanoids, so infestations are actually kind of good with that in mind! Infestation only gets added to the raid pool once you reach a certain amount of wealth, so you don't have to worry when you're starting out.

You can use the rules of the game to draw most infestations to some other part of the map. Infestation chance is based on several rules. For every square in the game, the chance of spawning an infestation is based on:
1. Must be passable (e.g. you've mined out the square)
2. Must have overhead mountain as its roof (thin rock roof and artificial roof doesn't count)
3. Must be pathable to a map edge (including via doors, but not walls)
4. Must have player-owned structure or furniture nearby (within 30 squares)
5. Spawn chance decreases with temperature, starting at -8 C, stopping completely at -17 C
6. Spawn chance decreases with illumination, starting at 0%, stopping completely at 51% (standing lamps only provide 50%)
7. Spawn chance decreases with orthogonal distance to an unroofed square (to within 10 squares, ignoring pathing/passability)
8. Spawn chance decreases with distance to nearest walls; squares that are enclosed on 3 sides with wall have a higher chance of spawning infestations than squares that are open.
9. Spawn chance increases with pathing distance to an unroofed square (with no limit)

There's also a neat but complicated rule where you can completely block infestation chance by making sure any overhead-mountain square is pathable to a plus sign of open-roof squares on the same 12x12 grid chunk. Let's ignore that rule for now

First, you can try to minimize your own chances for infestation. Keep your base illuminated. Don't create cramped nooks surrounded by walls. Prefer digging out rooms that are closer to unroofed squares (near the mountain's edge, or near naturally-occurring valleys within the mountain). Keep multiple base entrances to minimize pathing distance to the outside. You could try to use sun lamps everywhere or keeping your entire base frozen to eliminate infestation chance entirely, but that's overkill IMO.

Then you can create a chamber where you try to increase infestation chance among a large number of squares. The chamber should be kept dark and minimally warm (e.g. you may need heaters on extremely cold biomes). It should be dug deep into the mountain, to maximize distance to open roof. You should put some of your own walls in there, because that's required. You should include lots of twists and turns in the dug-out path, since mostly-enclosed squares have a higher chance of spawning infestations and pathing distance to an unroofed square does too.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah from time to time you'll get infestations somewhere that has overhead mountain. An infestation takes the place of some other kind of raid, and I'd rather have bugs than mechanoids, so infestations are actually kind of good with that in mind! Infestation only gets added to the raid pool once you reach a certain amount of wealth, so you don't have to worry when you're starting out.

You can use the rules of the game to draw most infestations to some other part of the map. Infestation chance is based on several rules. For every square in the game, the chance of spawning an infestation is based on:
1. Must be passable (e.g. you've mined out the square)
2. Must have overhead mountain as its roof (thin rock roof and artificial roof doesn't count)
3. Must be pathable to a map edge (including via doors, but not walls)
4. Must have player-owned structure or furniture nearby (within 30 squares)
5. Spawn chance decreases with temperature, starting at -8 C, stopping completely at -17 C
6. Spawn chance decreases with illumination, starting at 0%, stopping completely at 51% (standing lamps only provide 50%)
7. Spawn chance decreases with orthogonal distance to an unroofed square (to within 10 squares, ignoring pathing/passability)
8. Spawn chance decreases with distance to nearest walls; squares that are enclosed on 3 sides with wall have a higher chance of spawning infestations than squares that are open.
9. Spawn chance increases with pathing distance to an unroofed square (with no limit)

There's also a neat but complicated rule where you can completely block infestation chance by making sure any overhead-mountain square is pathable to a plus sign of open-roof squares on the same 12x12 grid chunk. Let's ignore that rule for now

First, you can try to minimize your own chances for infestation. Keep your base illuminated. Don't create cramped nooks surrounded by walls. Prefer digging out rooms that are closer to unroofed squares (near the mountain's edge, or near naturally-occurring valleys within the mountain). Keep multiple base entrances to minimize pathing distance to the outside. You could try to use sun lamps everywhere or keeping your entire base frozen to eliminate infestation chance entirely, but that's overkill IMO.

Then you can create a chamber where you try to increase infestation chance among a large number of squares. The chamber should be kept dark and minimally warm (e.g. you may need heaters on extremely cold biomes). It should be dug deep into the mountain, to maximize distance to open roof. You should put some of your own walls in there, because that's required. You should include lots of twists and turns in the dug-out path, since mostly-enclosed squares have a higher chance of spawning infestations and pathing distance to an unroofed square does too.

So in theory if I just wanted to strip mine this mountain, I could wall up the tunnel leading in on my way out and infestations wouldn't spawn in there since there isn't a path to the map edge? I've got a pretty neat area on the outside to do an above ground base in, just gotta get a couple moisture pumps going.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reik posted:

So in theory if I just wanted to strip mine this mountain, I could wall up the tunnel leading in on my way out and infestations wouldn't spawn in there since there isn't a path to the map edge? I've got a pretty neat area on the outside to do an above ground base in, just gotta get a couple moisture pumps going.

Yeah, I believe that's the case. The only problem is that if I'm wrong then some day you're going to have a horde of insects spawning behind that wall and then digging through it, pouring out onto your map :banjo:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I believe that's the case. The only problem is that if I'm wrong then some day you're going to have a horde of insects spawning behind that wall and then digging through it, pouring out onto your map :banjo:

I can always fill the tunnel leading out with flammable stuff if that's the case.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do note that if infestations get closed in they start mining the walls at a ludicrous pace. I don't know the logic used to determine what and where they mine, but they'll get there damned fast as soon as you wall them in.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's also a mod, "Infestations Spawn in Darkness" which lets you configure the spawn chance. I keep mine set to ~20% so torches and lamps will prevent spawning, but I have to be careful to illuminate new tunnels to prevent Randy from getting opportunistic. Also in theory with the mod you can build a room designed to attract infestations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

What straight-up cheat mods do you folks run? Not rebalancing or something that could be considered a little op, but ones that make the game easier

I got to thinking about it after modding out termites. A full on cheat, but danged if I'm gonna deal with those thumper cannons

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Manager Hoyden posted:

What straight-up cheat mods do you folks run? Not rebalancing or something that could be considered a little op, but ones that make the game easier

I got to thinking about it after modding out termites. A full on cheat, but danged if I'm gonna deal with those thumper cannons

EdB Prepare Moderately. Lets you reroll characters until you get that cook you need.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Various stack/storage mods seem to be the most common examples in my experience. It's one of those inevitable things where vanilla stacks aren't unusable, but once you start throwing other mods in your stockpiles just fill up too quickly without Deep Storage or something to manage it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There really isn't much need for cheat mods. You can turn off any incidents you don't like using the scenario editor, and do anything else you want like extra resources at start or schedule beneficial events. For everything else there's dev mode which you can turn on in the options menu. That lets you immediately end any incident you want, spawn whatever you want, delete whatever you want, etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't know what you used for termites, but "turtle friendly raids" probably counts. Also the "raid limiter" mod that lets you cap the number of raid points

And character editor since it lets you edit your characters whenever you want

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
This is my base right now, just barely survived my first winter due to a nice big family of elk wandering on to the map:

You can see how gigantic this mountain is:

What all rooms do you usually build in a base? I've got my storage/battery room next to what will be my production room and I know I need to build my dormitory with separate bedrooms, a hospital, and a real prison (Urist is in a coma so they haven't minded the crime against humanity sized room). I figure I would keep the butcher table in the same room as the paste machine, should I put a door between those and the dining area for when the butcher covers the "kitchen" in blood?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tweaks Galore adds a bunch of, uh, tweaks that obsolete some other smaller mods too. Like there's toggles for breach/sapper/siege raids among a bunch of other things.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Map Reroll is so useful it's probably cheating. I know you can set it to generate maps with fewer resources when rerolling, but it doesn't by default and I never turned that option on.

I also use OgreStack to increase stack sizes, Deep Storage didn't seem to get along with all my hundreds of other mods.

MinifyEverything is not necessarily cheating on it's own, but can definitely be abused.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 1, 2022

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Arrath posted:

And elephant leather armchairs for the rec room!

Wouldn't the elephant leather be better for clothes? It's one of the better non-end game leathers for piercing protection IIRC.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

There's also a mod, "Infestations Spawn in Darkness" which lets you configure the spawn chance. I keep mine set to ~20% so torches and lamps will prevent spawning, but I have to be careful to illuminate new tunnels to prevent Randy from getting opportunistic. Also in theory with the mod you can build a room designed to attract infestations.
I like this mod too. In practice I still have to deal with infestations when I gently caress something up, but I do not like the feeling of being constantly unsafe underground. I found myself making bases that meticulously avoided having a single tile under thick roof, and honestly it just wasn't fun for me. I get that being able to prevent infestations makes it possible to create a perfectly safe base deep underground that doesn't have to deal with most threats, but that's not the kind of base I'm ever building so the default infestation rules seem too harsh to me.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I use mods that let me vastly increase stack size, on top of mods that let me store things in containers.

I also use mods that make pawns have much lower expectations when it comes to room sizes.

Both of these mods mean I don't need to make giant storerooms just so my pawns can spread tiny piles of stuff all over the floor, nor do I have to make a palatial housing complex just so my pawns don't feel terrible about their bedrooms.

It's straight up making the game easier, but I find it more satisfying to build physically smaller bases. I still have to deal with storage space and setting up housing, it just feels more cozy.

I also have mods that let me move the anima tree, and a mod that lets me make natural stone walls out of chunks so I can protect it better. I recently learned that it's not actually that bad to build near the anima tree since the penalty caps out at like 30%, but the red lines still feel bad to me so giving it room is still a significant design challenge. My tribals get insane levels of psychic ability relatively easily, but gently caress it, that's fun to me. Especially since I usually start off with robots or something so I need to go out of my way to capture tribals to be mages for me.

Reik posted:

(Urist is in a coma so they haven't minded the crime against humanity sized room).
Heh, Urist would know a thing or two about crime-against-humanity-sized rooms. That brings back some memories.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If you want a cheat mod, there’s mods out there that let you put down regular soil as a floor. Combine that with the mod that lets you till ground and you can turn 0% fertile cave floor to 200% tilled ground.

Quality of Life is another good mod because it lets you adjust everything, including building costs. Because maybe you think it’s outrageous that steel tiles cost 7 steel per tile.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's hard to say, I don't have any that are obviously cheat mods but there's definitely a gray area.

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong is providing cool and good content but occasionally just screws over an incoming raid.

Rimatomics is maybe the worst offender, it has extremely cool content and I always play with it but it has really overkill stuff that I tend to avoid. I'm cool with just eliminating power as a mechanic that I have to worry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reik posted:

This is my base right now, just barely survived my first winter due to a nice big family of elk wandering on to the map:

You can see how gigantic this mountain is:

What all rooms do you usually build in a base? I've got my storage/battery room next to what will be my production room and I know I need to build my dormitory with separate bedrooms, a hospital, and a real prison (Urist is in a coma so they haven't minded the crime against humanity sized room). I figure I would keep the butcher table in the same room as the paste machine, should I put a door between those and the dining area for when the butcher covers the "kitchen" in blood?

hey it looks like you've got some trees growing in front of your wind turbines, killing their efficiency

I like to have separate bedrooms close to a central rec room, next to a kitchen, next to a freezer. A butcher table goes in the freezer. The rec room should also have some proximity to the outside, so that food can be hauled in more easily. I like to keep a storage room next to the fields for temporarily holding plant matter. Eventually I create indoor hydroponics with a nearby drug manufacturing/brewery room. Somewhere else is a tailoring and crafting room with its own storage area full of materials

I don't build large prisons, just 1-3 beds in a small room. If I'm a tribe that harvests organs, then the prisoners don't ever need to become lucid, they just need a bed to lay in while I carve them up. Otherwise I just need to keep someone alive long enough for a justified Execution ceremony