Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

2/1 artifact for 0 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A 2/2 for 1 with a relevant type would probably get play if the right aggro deck existed for it. But on pure stats, yeah, you need something costed way out of line with the usual cost and it would still probably need to be a cheap card, like a 4/4 for 2. A vanilla 10/10 for 6 wouldn't do it, for example.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

2/1 artifact for 0 :getin:

I do not think artifact based combos need yet another piece

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Tibalt posted:

A 2/2 for 1 with a relevant type would probably get play if the right aggro deck existed for it. But on pure stats, yeah, you need something costed way out of line with the usual cost and it would still probably need to be a cheap card, like a 4/4 for 2. A vanilla 10/10 for 6 wouldn't do it, for example.

Rakdos Cackler is bascially a 2/2 for 1 and was a staple in aggro decks for its time. (gently caress, that was 10 years ago.)

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
A playable vanilla creature is probably only going to exist in the 1-drop slot. Maybe 2-drop if it was like a 3/4 for GG or RR or something like that, but it's definitely going to be directly proportionate to its viability as an aggro creature

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I played that big dinosaur when I got back into magic on Arena two years ago but that doesn't mean it was "playable" in this thread's usual meaning.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if they'd ever do it but a one drop 5/0 vanilla creature could be possible

but you could make the argument it isn't really a one drop or really a vanilla creature

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk if they'd ever do it but a one drop 5/0 vanilla creature could be possible

but you could make the argument it isn't really a one drop or really a vanilla creature

Force of Savagry had the decency to trample.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think for modern or legacy a 3/4 for 1 without a relevant tribal would be playable, or a 3/3 for 1 with a relevant tribe.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think a 1 mana 20/20 might be acceptable but only if it's a goblin elf

EDIT: sorry if that's a little conservative for y'all I only play standard

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I wish I could show this conversation to 1995 teen me as I'm getting pinged by my penny sleeved Juzam and giving one of my opponent's monsters forest walk with my ernham just to get some slightly above rate vanilla beaters on the board.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wish I could show this conversation to 1995 teen me as I'm getting pinged by my penny sleeved Juzam and giving one of my opponent's monsters forest walk with my ernham just to get some slightly above rate vanilla beaters on the board.

Just show them jewel thief (at COMMON) and watch their head explode.

Or my favourite, Adanto Vanguard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

the Orb of Zot posted:

I unironically wonder what statline a vanilla creature would need to be even worth considering in the slightest for constructed these days.
At this point I think the only way you could have that happen is an absurdly stated 1-drop, like an unconditional 3/3 for G

You need to beat:

3/2 Flying for U.

Or 3/3 Flying but it attacks each combat if able for R.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 31, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Simply Simon posted:

I think a 1 mana 20/20 might be acceptable but only if it's a goblin elf

Goblin Elf Zombie Wizard. Come on!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Goblin Elf Zombie Wizard. Come on!

Goblin Elf Zombie Wizard Vampire Angel Rogue. Someone draw the art for that please.

e. actually wait I already know how to get this

looks like nine good magic cards to me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Going back to 1995 and showing them Questing Beast

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Do you think 4 mana 4/4 with Deathtouch, Vigilance, Haste would be enough to break them, or do you think explaining the planeswalker damage would be necessary?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup here we go

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

3/2 Flying for U.

Or 3/3 Flying but it attacks each combat if able for R.

8/8 Flying for UU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Yup here we go

CoCo-able

Would

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Yup here we go

You've basically recreated this:

https://scryfall.com/card/clb/696/irregular-cohort

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wait I made it better

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Aggressive enough Vanilla matters works. Let's go to Muraganda.

(We're never going to Muraganda. Maybe it will show up in P:AWBO is as already conquered and compleated though. A vanilla with phyrexian mana costs is still vanilla, right?)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We know that for legacy you need to be ~5/5 for 2 in order to be playable.
Oh and flying, as of MH2.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

neaden posted:

I think for modern or legacy a 3/4 for 1 without a relevant tribal would be playable, or a 3/3 for 1 with a relevant tribe.

a 3/4 for 1 would utterly warp the format around it

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Having been away from this game for so long, I am disgusted that there aren't Kird Bears, Kird Dingos, and Kird Raptors (Kird Bird represent) yet. My favorite 2/3 one drop has had many years to evolve, but the fucks down at the office are holding it back.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tibalt posted:

Do you think 4 mana 4/4 with Deathtouch, Vigilance, Haste would be enough to break them, or do you think explaining the planeswalker damage would be necessary?

Entirely possible "4 mana 4/4 with no drawback" does it, honestly.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I had to read inspiring overseer a couple of times just to make sure I didn't skip a drawback. And I've been playing consistently since throne of eldraine. I think questing beast would drive players in 1995 to madness, eldritch-like

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm seeing maddening Hex on mtgo, that's new, right? AFR: Commander, like CL2 didn't quite make it to mtgo?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I played back from unlimited-alliances or so then started buying packs again around Lorwyn / Alara and man I remember being so wowed by Wooly Thoctor.

Sure Sprouting Thrinax was better, but c'mon, a 5/4 for 3 mana!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm seeing maddening Hex on mtgo, that's new, right? AFR: Commander, like CL2 didn't quite make it to mtgo?

Yeah they brought it up to MTGO today along with Minsc and Boo and some other eternal relevant commander cards.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Kalli posted:

I played back from unlimited-alliances or so then started buying packs again around Lorwyn / Alara and man I remember being so wowed by Wooly Thoctor.

Sure Sprouting Thrinax was better, but c'mon, a 5/4 for 3 mana!

I came back around Guilds of Ravnica and I legitimately couldn't wrap my mind around Steel Leaf Champion. Still in my mind it doesn't feel right that you can get higher average power/toughness than converted mana cost without a downside.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is the mana value of a Chalice of the Void? Is it equal to 2x the number of counters on it or is it zero?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is the mana value of a Chalice of the Void? Is it equal to 2x the number of counters on it or is it zero?

How much mana you paid for it on the stack is the Mana Value. On the battlefield it's always 0.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 1, 2022

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

As a spell on the stack, it's 2*X. As a permanent on the battlefield, X counts as 0, so it's 0.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

X always equals zero everywhere except the stack, so the mana value of Chalice (or any similar card with an X casting cost) on the battlefield or in your hand/graveyard/library is always zero. The only time it's not is when you cast it and it goes on the stack, in which case it's mana value will be twice whatever you chose for X.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Drewjitsu posted:

Just show them jewel thief (at COMMON) and watch their head explode.

Or my favourite, Adanto Vanguard.

Show a 1995 player Savannah Lions downshifted to common, and then every white 2/1 for W that's just strictly better than lions

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ShaneB posted:

How much mana you paid for it on the stack is the Mana Value. On the battlefield it's always 0.

Ah... I guess I could saved mana on my March of Otherworldly Light.

Though if I had known it was zero I might have punted and cast March for X=0 and get the spell countered because chalice was on 1 lol

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Pablo Nergigante posted:

For me it was vampire nighthawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mike N Eich posted:

I came back around Guilds of Ravnica and I legitimately couldn't wrap my mind around Steel Leaf Champion. Still in my mind it doesn't feel right that you can get higher average power/toughness than converted mana cost without a downside.

The downside is that it costs GGG.

That’s not a joke.