Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Hirayuki posted:

:stare: at that price! They're priced normally here in MI, but that doesn't make them taste any better.

Maybe that was taken at a store in Alaska or some other BFE place where the price of food is crazy high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pookah posted:

You can if you put a big ol chunk of bacon on the hook.

I was gonna say, I've caught a bunch with hotdogs during an ad hoc fishing trip using fishing line and hooks me and my friends found tangled in the trees by a river. Surprise crab camping dinner!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

uber_stoat posted:

i found a bag of wasabi doritos once, just once. vanished like a mirage.
I had Tapatio flavored Doritos once and I will forever chase that dragon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CannonFodder posted:

I had Tapatio flavored Doritos once and I will forever chase that dragon.

Thats the Sabritas logo in the upper left corner, it's the Mexican form of Lay's

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sekhmnet posted:

Maybe that was taken at a store in Alaska or some other BFE place where the price of food is crazy high.
Hawaii, yeah.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i love me some sabor. picked up some of these bad boys the other day, highly recommended.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Iron Crowned posted:

Thats the Sabritas logo in the upper left corner, it's the Mexican form of Lay's

My local liquor store/sandwich shop sells these now which are Sabritas branded and they kick rear end

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wholly owned direct subsidiary of pepsico, so corporate sibling to fritolays not a child

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:doggo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hell yeah, thread title.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My worst Dorito experience was when I first moved to Korea, Doritos were imported and tasted the same as the US. They were the only kind of chip-like thing that was imported and were good. Then a year or two in, Doritos started being manufactured locally and now they were glazed with sugar like every domestic Korean chip and thus disgusting. I was so sad I now had no non-sweet chip options.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

boar guy posted:

im experiencing a similar frustration with cinnamon bun frosted mini wheats

These do exist and I’ve had them.

They’re pretty good!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i would kill a man for just one more bowl of Maple & Brown Sugar Life

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

"You fuckin' believe this poo poo man?"

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

uber_stoat posted:

i love me some sabor. picked up some of these bad boys the other day, highly recommended.

Those are really good, they're like pork rinds but made of wheat. The powdered lime or whatever they use kind of melts the skin on the roof of my mouth though.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

My worst Dorito experience was when I first moved to Korea, Doritos were imported and tasted the same as the US. They were the only kind of chip-like thing that was imported and were good. Then a year or two in, Doritos started being manufactured locally and now they were glazed with sugar like every domestic Korean chip and thus disgusting. I was so sad I now had no non-sweet chip options.

What is up with Korean cooking, every Korean cooking video I stumble across has an add surprising amounts of sugar stage

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Isn't it a thing that Korea was extremely poor until very recently, had a boom, and is now quite wealthy, and doing the standard 'was poor, got rich, started obsessing about sugar' thing?
I've heard Korean restaurateurs in the US who emigrated 20-30 years ago serve a completely different, low-sugar menu compared to modern South Korean cuisine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

aphid_licker posted:

What is up with Korean cooking, every Korean cooking video I stumble across has an add surprising amounts of sugar stage

Basically all Korean food is sugary as hell. I was always amazed at there being most of an entire aisle at the grocery store that's just various kinds of corn/rice syrup.

When you cook Korean food just cut the sugar down. Don't get rid of it entirely, there is a reason why a little of it is in there, but you can pretty much cut the sugar in half on any recipe as a starting point. If it uses both sugar and corn syrup (pretty common; rice syrup is basically the same thing but English recipes will usually say corn since that's easier to get outside Korea) I skip the syrup and lower the sugar.

Living there, whenever you try something new you get to play everyone's favorite game, Is It Sweet? and the answer is always yes.

Pookah posted:

Isn't it a thing that Korea was extremely poor until very recently, had a boom, and is now quite wealthy, and doing the standard 'was poor, got rich, started obsessing about sugar' thing?
I've heard Korean restaurateurs in the US who emigrated 20-30 years ago serve a completely different, low-sugar menu compared to modern South Korean cuisine.

I don't know if it's a wealth thing but the timeline is about right, yeah. The bulk of Korean immigration to the US was before the sugar obsession. There's a reasonable argument that at least LA Koreatown has better Korean food than Korea nowadays.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

These do exist and I’ve had them.

They’re pretty good!

they keep showing ads for them and none of the grocery stores have them OR the red hot cinnamon toast crunch either! what a rip off

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
la also has seriously better ingredient logistics, which is why it beats out bergen county and ne prc, too

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The Bloop posted:

I would love a plain Dorito but that's not a thing I've ever seen

They'd just be overpriced corn chips anyway

Too salty for me but I'll take them over nacho cheese.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

cyberia posted:

Too salty for me but I'll take them over nacho cheese.

You need this version

Crust First has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Sep 1, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically all Korean food is sugary as hell. I was always amazed at there being most of an entire aisle at the grocery store that's just various kinds of corn/rice syrup.

When you cook Korean food just cut the sugar down. Don't get rid of it entirely, there is a reason why a little of it is in there, but you can pretty much cut the sugar in half on any recipe as a starting point. If it uses both sugar and corn syrup (pretty common; rice syrup is basically the same thing but English recipes will usually say corn since that's easier to get outside Korea) I skip the syrup and lower the sugar.

There's a few Korean dishes that are staples for me, and yeah, step one is cut the sugar in half and see how it tastes from there.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You can't fool me, these are AI generated

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Bloop posted:

Doritos are the worst chip and every variety pack is full of them :rant:

I had Herr's Old Bay Chips recently and it is by far the worst chip I've ever had.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I had Herr's Old Bay Chips recently and it is by far the worst chip I've ever had.

Well you know what that does sound really bad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I will demolish a bag of sour cream bacon ruffles

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tendie cocktail, for the sophisticated Redditor.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

what are they sitting in?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

I'm not really sure what this is or what it is supposed to be, but it brings back powerful memories of growing up in rural Indiana, and I mean that as a pejorative.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

I've seen pictures of actual restaurants in the US with crisps as a side.

I would laugh so loving loud and leave instantly if I was ever served crisps as a side. That's what you serve your children when you have given up on life.

Fat Dan has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Sep 1, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

EoinCannon posted:

what are they sitting in?

AFP analysis: a bed of mashed potatoes with gravy and melted cheese. Topped with loose corn, as is tradition.

It's like a homemade KFC bowl, right?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Are yes, an authentic sadness pile in a failure bowl

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
you know how there are asian/latino/middle eastern grocery stores? is there one for british foods? i saw a plate of bangers and mash in the carb cup and id like to make it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

you know how there are asian/latino/middle eastern grocery stores? is there one for british foods? i saw a plate of bangers and mash in the carb cup and id like to make it.

You have to have a load of the ethnicity who still want their traditional food to get an ethnic store. Not even British people traditional British food. :newlol:

I have seen a British section that's a quarter of an isle or so in regular supermarkets. But it's a middle of the store thing so it's shelf stable goods like sauces and candy bars. No bangers and or mash. And while Chinatown is cheap, everything in the British section costs twice what you think it should.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

AFP analysis: a bed of mashed potatoes with gravy and melted cheese. Topped with loose corn, as is tradition.

It's like a homemade KFC bowl, right?

Thank you, sounds like a symphony of textures

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Australian supermarkets occasionally have a UK section for their biscuits, spreads, confectionery etc. it’s not popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

There's this place in Melbourne and Sydney. There might be something similar wherever you are. Why would you need a foreign food shop to get potatoes and sausages though?