Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lt. Lizard posted:

Annie really told Jerek about this whole thing just so Loup could learn about Court plans, huh? There was no in-character or in-story motivation, it was purely a device to move the story along.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to spy on the meeting that Kat had on the beach instead? Then we could have understood that he knew what was happening with a single panel that wouldn't have even required any dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

There Bias Two posted:

Wouldn't it have made more sense for him to spy on the meeting that Kat had on the beach instead? Then we could have understood that he knew what was happening with a single panel that wouldn't have even required any dialogue.

Yes, sure, but how could we advance the "tension" of a lovely love triangle by doing this? Pretty sure this page is just stalling for the remaining corner of it to show up for more romcom hijinx.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
somewhere in the back of his cracked little mind Loup must be marveling at how well this “disguise myself as a ponytailed dork” plan has worked out

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

have you considered that without her constantly personally informing loup of everything that happens for no reason, or being exposited to by random guys also for no reason, the nominal protagonist would be entirely superfluous to the back half of this story

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 31, 2022

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

One of the few good webcomics that actually ended was Problem Sleuth so think carefully before you want any more webcomic endings. Ye have been warned

On the other hand, the Schlock Mercenary ending was good, so it can happen.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I suppose the kind gesture is to assume Annie has been chatting and gotten closer and more familiar with Loup's Jerek persona off screen after he was first introduced but the comic hasn't exactly earned that kindness.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

why is Loup talking about someone that both sides of him love like she's expendable

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Xand_Man posted:

why is Loup talking about someone that both sides of him love like she's expendable

I read it as him talking about Jerrik, not Annie. Presumably leading in to him trying and failing to cast away the persona (either metaphorically because he can’t stay away from Annie/Lana/whatever, or literally because of magic stuff)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think he's talking about his robot-persona, not annie.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Maybe that was the intention but it'd be hard to more unambiguously visually convey he's talking about her than having him glare at her turned back while he says it. Maybe have a little imaginary cartoon knife sticking in there

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 31, 2022

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
I am holding out hope that Annie (and Reynard) knows it's Loup and this has all been a big trap they've set for him.

GrayGriffin
Apr 30, 2017

Snake Maze posted:

I read it as him talking about Jerrik, not Annie. Presumably leading in to him trying and failing to cast away the persona (either metaphorically because he can’t stay away from Annie/Lana/whatever, or literally because of magic stuff)

Yeah, I'm definitely assuming this is leading to a dead goose moment.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Maybe that was the intention but it'd be hard to more unambiguously visually convey he's talking about her than having him glare at her turned back while he says it. Maybe have a little imaginary cartoon knife sticking in there
Yeah offing Jerrek would make a lot more sense but visually that's a pure "so sick of her poo poo" panel.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

Nettle Soup posted:

I think he's talking about his robot-persona, not annie.

he says that part while literally looking right at her??

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lol so not only is it unclear why Annie was mad in the first place, it's also unclear who Loup is even referring to here

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

artichoke posted:

I am holding out hope that Annie (and Reynard) knows it's Loup and this has all been a big trap they've set for him.

It would make a lot of the weirdness of the last few chapters actually make sense, if it's framed like, "what we are seeing is the information Annie is feeding Loup, so of course it's just hurried exposition".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

isasphere posted:

It would make a lot of the weirdness of the last few chapters actually make sense, if it's framed like, "what we are seeing is the information Annie is feeding Loup, so of course it's just hurried exposition".

Even if this is the case, it means that the comic has to suffer several full chapters of bad writing and pacing, which is probably a really bad decision on Tom's part. Even if it does result in a good payoff, I'm not sure it's worth several dozen pages of low quality work.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
When do we learn that the Omega Device knew about Jerrek the entire time and factored him into its plans?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jerrek decides it is time for the next stage of his great plan and dons an ingenious disguise as unassuming human boy Kerrej

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

Jerrek decides it is time for the next stage of his great plan and dons an ingenious disguise as unassuming human boy Kerrej

It sucks that Jerrek disappeared. Annie is so distraught over it. Thank God there's a nice forest elf boy named Jerry to cheer her up

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Splicer posted:

Yeah offing Jerrek would make a lot more sense but visually that's a pure "so sick of her poo poo" panel.

Yeah, I basically had to reason out that he probably means the Jerrick costume.

But maybe not. Maybe he turns to Annie, about to dispose of her. But as he turns, he sees her looking at him stylistically, and he starts Jerricking again. Lol.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I honestly thought he had changed his mind on a whim and decided to get rid of Annie. Only now reading through the thread do I realize that probably wasn't the intended read.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The big question is who will Jerrek infodump all this to next? Each remaining chapter will just consist of people passing larger and larger infodumps to each other until everyone knows everything and it turns out that the Omega Device... is the comic itself, and also you, dear reader

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's you, you're the Gunnerkrigg Court: The Plot Thinnens!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The big question is who will Jerrek infodump all this to next? Each remaining chapter will just consist of people passing larger and larger infodumps to each other until everyone knows everything and it turns out that the Omega Device... is the comic itself, and also you, dear reader

Jerrek infodumps to Lana, who gets mad. It's unclear if she's jealous that he was talking to Annie, or if she's mad cus Annie told him but not her.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

CodfishCartographer posted:

Jerrek infodumps to Lana, who gets mad. It's unclear if she's jealous that he was talking to Annie, or if she's mad cus Annie told him but not her.

I think you’ve just prophesied and I really hope you’re wrong.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Loup is actually revealing that we, the audience, are no longer needed and he plans to get rid of us.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Lana's job to be saved by Jerrek is done so she's on forever vacation now. Just like our good friend Shadow.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

HiKaizer posted:

Loup is actually revealing that we, the audience, are no longer needed and he plans to get rid of us.

Finally

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Way ahead of him there

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Welp

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

This is the ad that showed up as I opened this page, and...

Same, ad box. Same

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

J.A.B.C. posted:

Same, ad box bot. Same

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I did not ask for love triangle a decade into this story.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
He's. He was her father figure??

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This feels incestuous and I'm not sure why.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
he's gonna reveal that Annie's crush was Ysengrin all along

lol

lmao

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Something people are missing is that the first two panels suggest that "this fool" Loup was referring to was indeed Annie. Despite being made out of two people who loved her and also being in love with her, he decided to completely forget about all of that until Jerrek's hormones kicked in and stopped him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Annointed posted:

This feels incestuous and I'm not sure why.

because the character who is crushing on the teenaged main character is a fusion of two immortal gods who both served as father figures during a time in the main character's life when her own father was absent. it's not QUITE as creepy as if loup was her actual dad but it's 90% of the way there