Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm kind of enjoying Farmer Against Potatoes Idle for now but still hate the whack-a-potato and how many upgrades are tied into it. I also find it hard (at least at this stage) to see a difference based on my choices in the skill tree so I'm mostly just blindly upgrading nodes based on what sounds good and idk the numbers keep going up so :shrug:

I am looking forward to trying the mobile version of this; it was weird how many differences there were between the PC and mobile clients for WAMI yet the progress still carried over so I am hoping for more feature parity between versions while still allowing cross saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RE: Idle research
I basically hit tubs liked that is was another game basically and made the other feature go into offline along with having challenges (ice) run along side it without resetting that layer. That was fun. Tubes itself isn't very fun it needs to get automated away and additional features added. If it becomes the primary feature it's just another battle slide slow. Basically Click Heroes with more abstraction. Clicker Heroes formula always leads to a dead end there's nothing interesting there to explore.

explosivo posted:

I'm kind of enjoying Farmer Against Potatoes Idle for now but still hate the whack-a-potato and how many upgrades are tied into it. I also find it hard (at least at this stage) to see a difference based on my choices in the skill tree so I'm mostly just blindly upgrading nodes based on what sounds good and idk the numbers keep going up so :shrug:

I am looking forward to trying the mobile version of this; it was weird how many differences there were between the PC and mobile clients for WAMI yet the progress still carried over so I am hoping for more feature parity between versions while still allowing cross saves.

re: FAPI
I'm liking it, I talents feel like well I'm mostly gunning for the +1 worm drop nodes (5 each) and getting a few million worms over night. You can expand them by getting +1 stat point per level (25pt) nodes. Generally you also want the class nodes (1 on each side) I also take the worm drop nodes there's 3 for each class one in each wing and one in the center that says level 3000 which I haven't hit so I don't know what's there yet.

As for Whack a Mole it's not bad once you get the 15 minute timer it works overnight, been getting massive amounts of coins overnight. Just play if you want a longer buff or to get a new high score. It really just falls apart once you get 10k in a run was quickly at 100k. The big thing is keep your combo up! Make sure you have a long enough timer you are actually maxing our combo out I mostly stayed with 40-50 max combo. I'm currently at 70 and can get like 2-3 whacks in with 3 seconds from max timer I don't see the point in going high without that big money combo.

Really the reincarnation followed by the 10k diamond upgrade for whack a potato is pretty important if you don't want to get left behind there.

Green turds should be high priority they not only are negative points if you click them, they stick around for longer than clicking a good one is, so they eat time even though they do add to your combo. Don't forget your combo shields losing your combo is devastating. Golden turds are also really good to upgrade they upgrade +10 per coin upgrade (since they are 5x the normal one)

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 30, 2022

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

For FAPI, the discord channel has some codes in it for free gems or whatever the premium currency is. I think one of the codes is good for 10k, so that auto auto whack a potato upgrade if you want it. For those that care, while the auto auto whack a potato is on a 15 minute timer, it doesn’t override the normal 5 minute whack a potato timer. So if you do happen to be actively playing for a time, you can hit the regular button a few times in between.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orvin posted:

For FAPI, the discord channel has some codes in it for free gems or whatever the premium currency is. I think one of the codes is good for 10k, so that auto auto whack a potato upgrade if you want it. For those that care, while the auto auto whack a potato is on a 15 minute timer, it doesn’t override the normal 5 minute whack a potato timer. So if you do happen to be actively playing for a time, you can hit the regular button a few times in between.
pasting it here for the lazy

daily - (use it everyday when the quest timer is reset)

frenchfries - (10k soul)
ipoopdaily - (cosmetic)
80water20solid (1 potion & 250 soul)
Lovelypattie (2 potion - thanks for all the support & the review <3)

more codes will come later, no promises that i'll update this

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Daily so far has been 500 gems souls (really these blue things are souls? okay) and a potion that has rotated. I'm pretty sure it's actually grabbing a daily bonus from a server, so probably something larger for holidays and other events unless they are going to run completely separate and replace the code system. People like codes it increases community attachment rate, but a daily code that's just "daily" doesn't promote that unless it's changing weekly or something.

Project overnight silkworm was a success work up to 1266 worms producting 6659ppm (poop per minute) someone have 7 to spare? Also 120 unasigned Larva. Getting that reincarnation bonus is huge that 0.1% is doubling it the first level and it's cheap, get all 10 levels the before going to bed the night you unlock that ( level 300?)

Leveling all the classes seems to be the fastest way to progress, you get 1 talent per 100 levels in every class (the first day it was 1 for every class that isn't your current class and a bonus point every 100 you now start with every 100 bonus talent from your own class you don't have to re-earn them). Not only that you get +1% class XP per level you have previously gotten the class to.

Freeloader is extremely good when you are stuck and have time. Inventory fills very fast at 2% drop rate (most classes have a max of 1%).

Don't forget to do challenges for bonus worms, talents, and equipment bonus. After you finish it turns into a normal run. I used a class that meshed with the challenge (use the crit based one if only crits can damage enemies duh).

I think I'm doing something right I'm 97th for highest classes levels right now.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 31, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any recommendations for first challenges to tackle?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Did you know that on the talent tree page, if you pull up the bonus summary and click on an individual bonus, it'll highlight every node for that bonus in the tree? Why did I just find that out accidentally, FAPI?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

Any recommendations for first challenges to tackle?

I just did them in order top left top right bottom left bottom right, I got 2 more that just unlocked that I need to look at but I'm stubornly pushing for 2-8-50 to get whatever that teased feature is. This push was a mistake but now I'm only a few rounds away so it makes no sense to finish it up.

Starting with a small amount of worms is huge.

The Adventure is basically a normal run, your talent points and class bonus from levels just unlocking this probably out weight your gear bonus. Hammer took a bit of a grind maybe do a normal run before it to grab a few more talent points?

I had an overnight run that shot my stats up a ton, I did it as Freelance and had a ton of gear levels from grinding 1-9-100 in a normal run and just checking in and shredding the gear for the +5 gems from the full reincarnation bonus. This let me get the better gear to level 29 and everything to 9 all yellow rarity (highest in World one, this is easy though because you can make it the min quality drop). Gear jumps in cost every 10 levels level 9 is 18 points, and level 10 is 40 points, level 11 is 44, level 20 is 160, then it was like 400s and 1000s.

That run made both Greedy and Blind complete jokes I basically spent the talent points and set it to auto advance and ended up in 2-4, which is where I stall a bit and can push to 2-7 easily enough made it through 2-7 with the overnight grind last night and well here I am trying to finish up 2-8-50 so I can check out Double Dragon and Neo challenges.

e: I'm gonna add my gear, this look like how other people are building? Currently rocketed from 3k yellow orange to 6k orange blue to 11k blue.

okay 2-8-50 feature isn't worth pushing to (you can spend worms on another feature, starting at 1,000 I have 1,500 total after the overnight I mean I have poop and don't need the worms but this is the end of the run and I don't think this will let me push this run further).

e2: no that is worth pushing they stay through reincarnation it's cows you are somehow turning worms into cows

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 31, 2022

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

tinstaach posted:

Did you know that on the talent tree page, if you pull up the bonus summary and click on an individual bonus, it'll highlight every node for that bonus in the tree? Why did I just find that out accidentally, FAPI?

It was added at like noon on Monday, so that's probably why. I find skimming patch notes very important in idle games especially early on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

I had an overnight run that shot my stats up a ton, I did it as Freelance and had a ton of gear levels from grinding 1-9-100 in a normal run and just checking in and shredding the gear for the +5 gems from the full reincarnation bonus. This let me get the better gear to level 29 and everything to 9 all yellow rarity (highest in World one, this is easy though because you can make it the min quality drop). Gear jumps in cost every 10 levels level 9 is 18 points, and level 10 is 40 points, level 11 is 44, level 20 is 160, then it was like 400s and 1000s.

That run made both Greedy and Blind complete jokes I basically spent the talent points and set it to auto advance and ended up in 2-4, which is where I stall a bit and can push to 2-7 easily enough made it through 2-7 with the overnight grind last night and well here I am trying to finish up 2-8-50 so I can check out Double Dragon and Neo challenges.

I did Double Dragon overnight with gear about half as good as yours, so you should be able to crank it out really quickly. The Stun on Crit just pushed this run to 2-7, so I may just do Neo as well for the Evade ability. I'm just pushing my last two classes to 1000 levels for the class tree starting points today.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Jhet posted:

I did Double Dragon overnight with gear about half as good as yours, so you should be able to crank it out really quickly. The Stun on Crit just pushed this run to 2-7, so I may just do Neo as well for the Evade ability. I'm just pushing my last two classes to 1000 levels for the class tree starting points today.

I did double dragon after I finished 2-8-50 auto did it then switched to medium difficulty and glided to ugh let's call it M2-4-200 Medium isn't much harder but the spawns per wave are higher so you need to push skulls harder to make it worth it (it drops double worms)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Xand_Man posted:

Thread title

let's pretend the op didn't know how to change the thread title, what would you tell them to do?

theoretically

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Feline Mind Meld posted:

let's pretend the op didn't know how to change the thread title, what would you tell them to do?

theoretically

I think it takes a mod to change the title.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Orvin posted:

I think it takes a mod to change the title.
yeah the best way to get one changed is to report the post and put "thread title please" or similar as the reason

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Feline Mind Meld posted:

theoretically

PM the mod directly asking for a thread title change

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is WAMI still worth playing, or should I jump straight to FAPI?

I've pretty much bear Research Idle at this point, looking for a third idler.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Is WAMI still worth playing, or should I jump straight to FAPI?

I've pretty much bear Research Idle at this point, looking for a third idler.

Wami always felt unfinished to me, but there’s content there if you want.

Fapi is unfinished still, but there’s a lot more polish to it for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I've barely touched FAPI but I played WAMI for months until I finished all the content it had at the time. I thought it was pretty great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Never thought I'd get into it but I am kind of enjoying the cruelty and obtuseness of Sandcastle Builder

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FAPI: completing the infinite challenges starts you with 100/100 on easy and 200/200 on medium for that zone making it worth completing so you don't have to go back and do as many zones before reincarnating, Waves beat is a multiplier. On medium you can manually move zones after you clear 50 and you'll want to because you have no way to reduce how many potatoes you need to mash per wave in this challenge since you can only play with talents and milk. Since you have to run it as farmer and it turns into a normal run after might as well update your starting zone on a difficulty every time you go to level up farmer.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 1, 2022

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

goferchan posted:

Never thought I'd get into it but I am kind of enjoying the cruelty and obtuseness of Sandcastle Builder

the guide on the wiki is 85% written by me and good for anywhere you get stuck. if you get past what I wrote well congratulations you have more stomach for punishment than me

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Trying to understand FAPI challenge reward structure. The text under "Reward" is given once (?) per unique class clear? Or every clear, including repeats? Or just once, for the very first clear?

The text under "Special" is awarded only once, on the first clear?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

KazigluBey posted:

Trying to understand FAPI challenge reward structure. The text under "Reward" is given once (?) per unique class clear? Or every clear, including repeats? Or just once, for the very first clear?

The text under "Special" is awarded only once, on the first clear?

You only do the challenge once unless it's an endless one (2nd tab).

The rewards are all extremely good and the challenges should be doable when you unlock them and turn them into a real run at the end where you push a new high level for the class.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I did the first 6 challenges yesterday and they actually weren't really that bad. Nothing like the first NGU ones that felt like they went on forever if you weren't prepared.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Feline Mind Meld posted:

the guide on the wiki is 85% written by me and good for anywhere you get stuck. if you get past what I wrote well congratulations you have more stomach for punishment than me

Ha thanks! I have definitely looked at it. I'm still very early on -- I molpied down after a couple days because I was curious about it and unlocked time travel naturally but didn't really understand how the temporal incursion newpixbots worked until looking it up. I did feel very clever when I realized I could hit the cap, build a bunch of castles, then sell them off to lower the price, rebuy some, and then get 30 again from time travel. Up to 60 now and working on getting all the doublers I can.

edit: also appreciated the heads-up in there on the importance of kitties. Got enough to unlock the DORD bonuses and some of those boosts seem crazy

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
ok idle research is fun

gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which i desire

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

Yeah I did the first 6 challenges yesterday and they actually weren't really that bad. Nothing like the first NGU ones that felt like they went on forever if you weren't prepared.

Apparently people in the discord are hitting them before they can be reasonably done somehow. Are people just running to unlock them in their first life before trying all the classes and massing insane talents? Talent points are like 90% of your power. I think worms / cows is going to be the bulk of your power in the long run it seems to be shifting around level 3000 / reincarnation 1250.

e: holy poo poo beyond the 3k gate every node is talent point locked at an increasing amount required "500 spent points, every time you buy a node with this message this value goes up" I have 480 talents. The gate stays open on all classes after you unlock it, you'd need to path to that part of the tree but this could get interesting depending on how this expands.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 2, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is Kiwi Clicker any good? Never seen it discussed here but the presentation seems slick and the reviews are really positive. Anything with "clicker" in title makes me nervous though

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

goferchan posted:

Is Kiwi Clicker any good? Never seen it discussed here but the presentation seems slick and the reviews are really positive. Anything with "clicker" in title makes me nervous though

I like it, it has a choice of clicker/short-afk/long-afk specializations fairly early on and the updates have been fairly large so far, feels like active development.

I've mostly messed with the short-afk spec, Alchemy, which has you mixing potions up until a maximum tier and then dumping them on the boss for massive reset currency gains. Each potion takes like a minute to make, I can stack a lot and the max tier is six, so if I leave the game open or closed for around an hour or so I'll have enough potions to get the two tier sixes needed to fully clear a boss. Potions can also be used on your various stations for temporary % buffs but I don't see the use.

The long-afk spec is for afking over days for a slowly accruing % bonus that needs no real input from you. The click spec is, well, a clicker spec.

Short AFK seems fantastic right now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
NGU Idle question.
Trying to unlock Greasy Nerd, I get to 125 on evil mode, rebirth, and manually level up the bosses to make sure I get to the correct levels to press the correct letters.
So I get to 121 and have typed in the last letter of FARTS, but still doesn't unlock.

Do you have to enter them all in one 'go' as in you can't do anything else in between like do other stuff?
Does it have to be upper case or lower case letters when you type it in?
Does it show anything if you type them in correctly?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

happyhippy posted:

NGU Idle question.
Trying to unlock Greasy Nerd, I get to 125 on evil mode, rebirth, and manually level up the bosses to make sure I get to the correct levels to press the correct letters.
So I get to 121 and have typed in the last letter of FARTS, but still doesn't unlock.

Do you have to enter them all in one 'go' as in you can't do anything else in between like do other stuff?
Does it have to be upper case or lower case letters when you type it in?
Does it show anything if you type them in correctly?

Did you defeat 125 on evil mode? You need to be seeing 126 as your next level to get this to work.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Zetsubou-san posted:

ok idle research is fun

gimme fuel gimme fire gimme that which i desire

yea i've been hooked on this for the past week or so. unfortunately i think i've basically gotten to the content cap unless there is something i'm missing? have dark flasks and dark tubes running, my ice rewards are capped for both, so there is nothing to do but run up the dark flask timer as far as I can tell. is there some way to uncap the ice rewards? I haven't unlocked black ice tubes yet either, but i can't really seem to do anything else to get more numbers

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dark flasks are the end of current content so they're deliberately tuned to be a super slow grind until more stuff is added.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jhet posted:

Did you defeat 125 on evil mode? You need to be seeing 126 as your next level to get this to work.

Yeah, can see him listed, but when I try to fight its his mum.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, can see him listed, but when I try to fight its his mum.

You have to beat her first. Then do the word, then you get the nerd if I remember the order right.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The code will also appear as you type the letters correctly when you hover over adventure

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017

goferchan posted:

KazigluBey posted:

I like it, it has a choice of clicker/short-afk/long-afk specializations fairly early on and the updates have been fairly large so far, feels like active development.

Short AFK seems fantastic right now.

Was wondering if I'd have to be the first person to post about it here :) I picked it up after reading the patch notes posted last week, which impressed me by showing an actual sense of game design. Compared to the genre standard of regurgitating the creator's favourite existing idle game, that seemed like a good sign. After a week of playing it fairly hardcore, I'm at the endgame, so it's not a stretched out forever game.

I've had a lot of fun with it, and I think it's quite well-paced with consistently viable progress in any of the builds. And it's nice to play a new game with an intentionally designed endgame, not something where you post in a forum asking "so am I done, or what?"

I'm glad I bought it and I think people should check it out. Worst case it's a couple bucks and you bounce after seeing the kiwi puns.

----------

Re: builds, other than the obvious option of spamming quick runs to farm currency, I think the longer AFK one ("carpenter") is great if your run is at least 8h. If you're able to get the top half of the skill tree maxed, after 8h you've got a 2000% bonus on everything, which brings me to a much higher max than the active build ("archer"). Especially once you unlock the "subclassing," I take the archer for its autoclicks, and it seems like a perfect combo.

Right now I'm just doing 1-2 resets a day with that build, picking up ~10k currency each time. I'll probably have purchased all the upgrades in a few days, then I can wait for the next patch.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
oh wow that's really thoughtful in a genre that just yolos it way too often, yeah, I'll nibble on that

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FAPI: you can quick switch gear by twin clicking (clicking left and right at the same time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Or double clicking.

Which also works on the 'Scrap Inventory Items' button.