Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lmao, people really out there just Thoracling newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Back when I was a youngin hanging out in the last gasps of Mall arcades and back when pizza places had actual arcade fighting games. I'd get pubstomped a gently caress load of times, against dudes that were bigger than me had way more quarters than me and just played the games more.

You know what they did a lot of the time? They'd kick my rear end in game, and then would be like here man this is how you block this is how you dash, you like playing this guy this is how you make him do cool poo poo. This is how you fight against my character I like to use.

That is a huge huge reason why I enjoy playing something of higher powered EDH that doesn't go full competitive. And enjoy teaching while going a little easier and then testing them when I don't pull punches.

That guy? He's gonna go on the internet and brag to his shitbag friends and cry into his thoracle alone cause he's a piece of poo poo.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jiro posted:

Back when I was a youngin hanging out in the last gasps of Mall arcades and back when pizza places had actual arcade fighting games. I'd get pubstomped a gently caress load of times, against dudes that were bigger than me had way more quarters than me and just played the games more.

You know what they did a lot of the time? They'd kick my rear end in game, and then would be like here man this is how you block this is how you dash, you like playing this guy this is how you make him do cool poo poo. This is how you fight against my character I like to use.

That is a huge huge reason why I enjoy playing something of higher powered EDH that doesn't go full competitive. And enjoy teaching while going a little easier and then testing them when I don't pull punches.

That guy? He's gonna go on the internet and brag to his shitbag friends and cry into his thoracle alone cause he's a piece of poo poo.

Yeah that story is totally true, not at all made up and totally representative of cEDH players.

It’s not at all true that most “funhards” are actually gatekeeping twats that use expensive cards that are ok because they got them in a pack 12 years ago and are always playing the morally correct power level of cards.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah that story is totally true, not at all made up and totally representative of cEDH players.

It’s not at all true that most “funhards” are actually gatekeeping twats that use expensive cards that are ok because they got them in a pack 12 years ago and are always playing the morally correct power level of cards.

That last reply, though, lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

That right there is what makes cEDH great compared to wildly varying powerlevel EDH. In full competitive, you go into the game doing your best to win but knowing that your chances of winning are, on average, 25%. You get your rear end kicked, you learn from it, and you discuss with people at the end of the game what you could have done better-- what they could have done better.

One of the core elements I've found among most cEDH players I've played with is that we all want to learn and get better at the game, and understand that the best way to do that is get your rear end kicked and figure out why, and how you can react to things better, react to things differently, and anticipate it next time.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

That's gotta be the biggest draw for cEDH, right? No hurt feelings about strong, well tuned decks, because that's what everyone is supposed to bring to the table. Everyone's playing a 7!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

That's gotta be the biggest draw for cEDH, right? No hurt feelings about strong, well tuned decks, because that's what everyone is supposed to bring to the table. Everyone's playing a 7!

My personal experience of playing with true competitive players, in any format of magic, is that it's often the most fun, because we are all explicitly playing to win, but people don't really care about winning for winning sake - they care for the sake of playing to get better.

I'm trying to think about a way to work some cringy katana metaphor in here...

Okay well it's like if you fence with someone (without sensors) and if they really care about getting better at fencing, they are of course going to call out when you get a touch. Whereas if you play against a "funhard" they actually really care about winning that particular bout, enough to cheat or be lovely about things, or whine about how your saber is lighter or it's cheesy that you are wearing ultra light silk knee-high socks or something absurd instead of their "authentic" Scottish highlands absurd tartan socks or whatever.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

It really is. You get to play what you want and no one complains about it, and people are (generally) graceful at winning and losing because expectations are different.

On the other hand, it's not uncommon to get unsolicited advice about your card choices though, which can be a little grating, but I feel that's something that happens all throughout TCGs in general. It's not a criticism of "your deck is too strong and some of your cards should be banned", it's "your deck is not optimal because you're running XYZ instead of ABC".

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Framboise posted:

There's lots of fun stuff you can do with Locust God. Load up on draw spells, and run red enchantments like Impact Tremors or Goblin Bombardment to weaponize the insects. And Skullclamp, because Skullclamp.

Now I kinda want to build it too.

EDIT: This actually gave me a really neat idea. Gimme some time to put it together.

OKAY. It is almost 5 in the morning but I think I've got this list to a place where I am satisfied with where it is at. Still a rough draft concept deck, but here it is!

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/ENMoNNidb02-ewa_X14HQw

Behold, a modular powerlevel Izzet deck, where you can adjust the power level of the deck based on the commander you choose and strategy intended around them, while the rest of the cards in the deck synergize well with any choice-- even if they're the other commander choices in the 99.

Just gonna paste the primer I wrote and go the gently caress to bed.

The concept of this deck is to be able to change commanders on the fly to suit the needs of varying power level tables.

There are 4 intended commanders for this deck:

- The Locust God
- Rielle, the Everwise
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun
- Krark, the Thumbless/Sakashima of a Thousand Faces

I have chosen these commanders because they all operate differently, allowing for different primary strategies while still sharing the same general card synergies-- that is to say, they have payoffs in casting spells and/or drawing cards. On top of this, these commanders operate the deck at different power levels, wherein The Locust God and Rielle work at lower power levels, while Niv-Mizzet and Krark/Sakashima operate at a higher power level. While the more powerful commanders would still be a part of the 99, I feel they'd be far less threatening than in the command zone and able to be available right away and reusable. On top of this, every unused commander option can still work as a powerful value piece when used.

I designed this deck under a few constraints.

1. No mana positive mana rocks aside from Sol Ring.

2. Aside from Niv-Mizzet, Parun + Curiosity/Ophidian Eye/Tandem Lookout, no infinite combos-- this deck has the potential to storm off, but it is never deterministic. The deck does run Underworld Breach for value purposes and for facilitating storm lines, but the deck does not run Brain Freeze, Lion's Eye Diamond, or Lotus Petal to facilitate too much abuse.

3. Aside from Sakashima, no cards over $10, as of 8/31/2022. I am intending for this list to be able to be built at a reasonable price for a casual EDH deck. You could choose to make further budget substitutions, but I chose the cards I did to maximize the number of effective staple cards that would be good for using in other decks, while minimizing niche chaff cards that wouldn't have much of a home elsewhere. So if a card is more on the $5+ side, it very well should be a card that's a solid, good card in general.

4. There should be a minimal number of cards that don't work with other commander options. This falls a bit more in The Locust God and Rielle's department, since some cards that enable them don't do a whole lot for Krark/Sakashima or Niv-Mizzet. Examples: Goblin Bombardment, Skullclamp, Devilish Valet, Fateful Showdown, Tolarian Winds, etc. Because of this, I tried to include some cards in the deck that provide some degree of redundancy to make these cards a bit more useful, like Talrand, Murmuring Mystic, and Young Pyromancer. Aside from those, most other cards should not feel dead at any given point of the game.

5. The deck is not intended to be optimized. My target power level range for this deck, at least in my perspective, should be around 5 to 8. Niv-Mizzet and Krark/Sakashima are both potent commanders in cEDH, but I am intentionally powering both of these down by drastically slowing mana production potential and not facilitating Breach/Freeze combo. Both commander should feel good to play at a high power table, but not be approaching cEDH optimization. On the other hand, playing The Locust God and Rielle should facilitate a slower game plan if run as commander, without feeling too weak or ineffective. Since most cards chosen were intended to be useful in all strategies of the deck, this shouldn't be a problem.
This is a deck that wants to cast a bunch of spells and draw lots of cards. Aside from Niv-Mizzet and Locust God, the curve of the deck should be low. All cards in the deck aside from them are 4 CMC or less, and there are some cost-reducing pieces (Electromancer, Baral, Djinn) as well as some mana-generating pieces (Birgi, Storm-Kiln Artist, Sorcerer Class) to help keep spells flowing well. (Note: Submerge should almost always be available as a free spell.)

Game Plans:

Rielle, the Everwise - Aggro/Combo

I intended Rielle to be the lowest power level option with the slowest game plan. Discarding cards gives you more cards and makes Rielle stronger, allowing you to dig deep in the deck for whatever card you need, and then swing in for commander damage. With how many cards Rielle can let you draw, you can construct various combos with the other commanders in the deck. Discard a bunch of cards with Wheel of Misfortune, Windfall, Fateful Showdown, and Tolarian Winds to draw a massive amount of cards and sculpt a combo and back it up with interaction.

The Locust God - Aggro

Probably the most straightforward commander (and the default choice I built around), you want to get The Locust God out as soon as you can and start drawing cards and generating tokens. You can use the insects to attack, and you can generate some extra tokens from Talrand, Young Pyromancer, and Murmuring Mystic. You can generate further value from these tokens by making them cause damage when they ETB with Impact Tremors or Witty Roastmaster, or sacrifice them with Skullclamp to draw more cards or Goblin Bombardment to deal further damage. Get a Devilish Valet on the battlefield before making a bunch of tokens and see how high you can get its power!

Niv-Mizzet, Parun - Combo/Control

Curious Control is a cEDH theme that has shown up frequently over the years. This is a commander that can leverage that strategy, but powered down so that it is not quite as easy to generate mana to cast Niv-Mizzet, nor is it quite as easy to tutor up his payoffs: Curiosity, Ophidian Eye, and Tandem Lookout. You'll have to dig for them as you control the board, picking off creature threats and countering opponent spells while pinging opponents' life totals down. Pairing Niv-Mizzet and one of the payoffs should deal enough damage to end the game.

Krark, the Thumbless/Sakashima of a Thousand Faces - Combo

The cEDH menace, but somewhat defanged. Part of what makes the full cEDH version of this deck so strong is how deep its redundancy can go in terms of duplicating Krark's coinflip spell copying/returning to hand. I've limited that by avoiding cards like Spark Double, Veyran, and Krark's Thumb, but still included some clone effects that are somewhat more fragile, like Phantasmal Image, Twinflame, and Heat Shimmer. Harmonic Prodigy is also in the deck as it synergizes well with Rielle and Niv-Mizzet. Use Krark's ability to copy and recur spells along with the ability to duplicate that trigger through the aforementioned cloning effects and triggered ability duplicators to keep using those spells. Cards like Birgi and Storm-Kiln Artist can help you generate mana to fuel the spellslinging. The spells you should ultimately dig for are Snap and Frantic Search, which allow you to untap lands as you cast and copy them to bounce creatures or draw cards. With some luck (or getting creative with Twinflame and Heat Shimmer), you should reach a point where you are able to keep using these spells with an extremely small chance of fizzling. You can then proceed to wipe out the table with countless copies of Lightning Bolt or storm off with Grapeshot. Be careful not to deck yourself if you have Archmage Emeritus or Teferi's Ageless Insight active!

One more thing: probably the most fun thing about Sakashima that I hadn't really intended from the start is that if you play him in the 99, he can become a copy of any other commander you choose. Have fun drawing a ridiculous number of cards with a second Rielle, amassing a token army with a second Locust God, or doubling your card draw and pings with Niv-Mizzet. Yes, he's the one card in the deck over $10, but it's because it's such a cool card, I just couldn't not include it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 31, 2022

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
That deck is a fantastic idea!

Regarding casual vs competitive EDH: I have literally never run into a "funhard" as described ITT. I don't know if I've been lucky in the shops I've played in or if you people have been exceptionally unlucky but the last page of posts sounds like a stdh.txt post even more than that posted message string about pubstomping. I'm not saying these things literally don't happen, rather that based on my experience they sound unlikely, but again maybe I'm just lucky.

Also, the secret second villain of that pubstomper story is the newbie who loses one game and quits on the spot like a brat. :colbert:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My one single experiment with Warhammer 40K was asking my friend who played every week and had 10 armies painted to teach me to play, and we spent 90 minutes setting up the table and explaining how my pieces worked, and then on his first turn he used his legendary moon wizard sniper to kill my legendary hero unit and half of my regular guys and I lost like 1-2 turns later. Some people, either through spite or just a lack of empathy or sheer stupidity really don’t understand how ruining someone’s first game can sour someone on an entire experience forever. I’ve never even thought about playing mini-games since then.

I promote Into the North in here all the time but today’s episode with Tier 1 Champion Ken Bauman is absolutely illuminating and very much worth everyone’s time. The TLDR is that high stakes tournament cEDH is 100% about using playskill to create political opportunities which then allow you to reward your own playskill. It’s a delicate balance of using your opponents as a resource vs shutting them down and denying them resources, and sometimes that comes down to begging them on your hands and knees not to punt. Really interesting and awesome stuff, makes me want to check out his content.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

This reminds me of a deck I made a year or so ago called "Bullshit Simic Commander Tribal". Basically just a mana base, 15 or so standard utility cards, and then every Simic commander/partner pair ever printed. You pick a commander at random each game.

I put it together in 15 minutes and had to stop playing it because it was overpowering my playgroup :(

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

LanceKing2200 posted:

This reminds me of a deck I made a year or so ago called "Bullshit Simic Commander Tribal". Basically just a mana base, 15 or so standard utility cards, and then every Simic commander/partner pair ever printed. You pick a commander at random each game.

I put it together in 15 minutes and had to stop playing it because it was overpowering my playgroup :(

I genuinely want to see this list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course it happens sometimes. It's a pay to win hobby, every one of those attracts assholes.

Often? Probably not, the other players are going to know you're that guy fairly quickly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

lmao

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

TotalHell posted:

I genuinely want to see this list.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/simic-commander-tribal/

I think I made this around Strixhaven? You could probably update it with some newer stuff.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LanceKing2200 posted:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/simic-commander-tribal/

I think I made this around Strixhaven? You could probably update it with some newer stuff.

Thanks, I hatelove it

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
In cEDH, you should be your only opponent. Winning is on you to build the best deck and play it in the best possible way. If you lose, what could YOU have done differently?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

In cEDH, you should be your only opponent. Winning is on you to build the best deck and play it in the best possible way. If you lose, what could YOU have done differently?

* thinks back to a bunch of M:tG pros * C-cheated?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I would try it with any other color pair but there’s no way any are quite as hilarious.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Try doing it with all the color pairs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Simic Commanders have definitely been the most transparently “Commander-centric” legends since 2018 and they are indeed pushed as gently caress.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't think anyone in my group has ever had a Simic deck. They just look completely unfun

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cosmicjim posted:

Netdecked from a different user.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

cosmicjim posted:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Heath posted:

I don't think anyone in my group has ever had a Simic deck. They just look completely unfun

It seemed that way to me until I built a Experiment Kraj combo deck that's a lot of fun. I built it to be a combo deck that isn't linear, or at least doesn't execute the same way twice.

But, really, it is an open secret that blue and green are the best colors in MTG and the two together is hard to gently caress up. It pains me to say that as a devotee of black.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Top 16 decklists are out from Eminence's Punt City tournament.

Tournament report from Elder Drunken Highlander.

Vods are up on the eminencemtg twitch channel. Winner was Winota Stax

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I hate how many simic commanders are just generic good stuff compared to most/all other color pairs that are mostly more focused.

Thrasios is of course the ur-example of this but there's loads that are just "draw cards and play lands".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Blue & Black are unambiguously the most powerful colors in Commander, and that Red & Green are the best support colors, and that White is basically the gatekeeper to a handful of key cards that help to define the format and the game as a whole. In a vacuum, I favor the Dimir deck over the Simic, Izzet, or Golgari every day of the week.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I feel Izzet is the best right now because nothing beats amoral techno wizard scientists.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Blue & Black are unambiguously the most powerful colors in Commander, and that Red & Green are the best support colors, and that White is basically the gatekeeper to a handful of key cards that help to define the format and the game as a whole. In a vacuum, I favor the Dimir deck over the Simic, Izzet, or Golgari every day of the week.

It depends on what power level you're at. If you're playing cEDH with full Necropotence/Ad Nauseum/etc shenanigans then yeah, but at any other power level Green will dominate. Green's only weakness is time and lord knows commander games go long.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

But, really, it is an open secret that blue and green are the best colors in MTG and the two together is hard to gently caress up. It pains me to say that as a devotee of black.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with this as well. I say that as someone that stubbornly uses a pet mono white deck with Nahiri, The Lithomancer as the Commander filled with swords, Land Tax, Tithe, Esper Sentinel, stoneforge mystic, just to try and not get completely wiped out early in game, because I know already what a disadvantage I'm already at. I love that deck though was my first precon gifted to me and the way I got back into playing Magic. :smith:

Atropha posted:

Hi thread! Figured this might be a good place to ask some questions. I'm looking to get back into Magic. I stopped playing forever ago and sold all my cards, so I'd be starting from scratch. I don't much care for being competitive or anything, right now I'm mostly just looking to get enough cards for me and my husband to mess around with some casual deck-building and playing against each other. I've been eyeing the 5 New Capenna precon Commander decks as a starting point. Are those any decent for getting a (very basic) card base or are they too focused on their own deck-specific mechanics to allow for much mix and matching? I know getting a pile of commons/uncommons from a third-party store is always an option for some cheap bulk cards, but I got some Amazon gift-card balance I'd prefer to spend on this. Anyway, any advice is appreciated to get back into this money sinkhole of a game. :shepspends:

Welcome back to your new/old addiction! I would recommend looking back a few years at all the different precons maybe starting around Zendikar Rising or slightly before, some of them are fun and really really cheap, while some have expensive chase cards in them either new or reprints those will have their price jacked up. Strixhaven had some fun themed decks to pull apart and combine with other stuff, same with original Adventures in the Forgotten realms precons. The Ikoria that didn't have Fierce Guardianship or Deadly Rollick may still be pretty inexpensive as well. Same with Neon Kamigawa at being pretty inexpensive, Capenna not sure as far as fun level I didn't play those unfortunately, though I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 1, 2022

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hi thread! Figured this might be a good place to ask some questions. I'm looking to get back into Magic. I stopped playing forever ago and sold all my cards, so I'd be starting from scratch. I don't much care for being competitive or anything, right now I'm mostly just looking to get enough cards for me and my husband to mess around with some casual deck-building and playing against each other. I've been eyeing the 5 New Capenna precon Commander decks as a starting point. Are those any decent for getting a (very basic) card base or are they too focused on their own deck-specific mechanics to allow for much mix and matching? I know getting a pile of commons/uncommons from a third-party store is always an option for some cheap bulk cards, but I got some Amazon gift-card balance I'd prefer to spend on this. Anyway, any advice is appreciated to get back into this money sinkhole of a game. :shepspends:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Does edhrec have an option to filter recommendations based on set? I want to pull useful cards out of my giant archive boxes, thousands of cards, and I'm trying to think of the simplest way to do it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

big cummers ONLY posted:

Does edhrec have an option to filter recommendations based on set? I want to pull useful cards out of my giant archive boxes, thousands of cards, and I'm trying to think of the simplest way to do it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
You can also just search for stuff on scryfall and sort by edhrec rank.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

thank you both, these are intimidating to operate when you are essentially a boomer

elephant deck coming together! not a lot of rat cards in my collection though, might have to use a backup tribe.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Aranan posted:

Oh poo poo this changes everything

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

Yeah, but that's a very general ranking and doesn't mean a whole lot other than "this is what user-submitted decks on an unmoderated website play a lot of", and isn't linked to actual card quality or influencer by what commander you are playing, so consider the value dubious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Obviously you go to EDHREC and sort by salt value.