Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When I say cost of living increase I mean it's going to cost you more to stay living. This isn't obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

8:34am - Companywide email from HR. Subject: Recent Promotions

9:45am - Human Resources would like to recall the message, "Recent Promotions".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat, that's spicy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lmao it took that long before they realized?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

8:34am - Companywide email from HR. Subject: Recent Promotions

9:45am - Human Resources would like to recall the message, "Recent Promotions".

Please elaborate! This thread needs a feel-good story.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I honestly have no idea what the story is. It was just re-sent at 10:58am and everything looks identical.

All I can think of is that it got sent without some higher-up's approval.

I often feel like our HR department is working its first job out of college.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

Huh, I was a bit confused since here in Belgium we pretty never drink IPA beers, it's really unpopular. But it turns out it's just a beer style that has nothing to do with Belgian beer at all and is purely a misleading marketing trick.

I don't know dude, major breweries have IPAs, Colruyt stocks Vedett IPA, Chouffe IPA, Brussels Beer Projects, Super and probably others too. I don't know if they are popular, but there's no lack of variety in IPAs from Belgium. Still waiting on some Cara IPA though.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Well I'm back on a month of burnout leave. More time to shitpost and send out resumes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

boar guy posted:

probably doesn't help that the first beer i had after basically quitting drinking after college for 11 or so years was a blind pig, one of the best in the genre

The bar's set pretty high, for a boar guy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I honestly have no idea what the story is. It was just re-sent at 10:58am and everything looks identical.

All I can think of is that it got sent without some higher-up's approval.

I often feel like our HR department is working its first job out of college.

Just over an hour between each, easily long enough for some director levels to argue with each other about who is stealing who's staff and whether take-backsies would invalidate their collective authority.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

goatface posted:

Just over an hour between each, easily long enough for some director levels to argue with each other about who is stealing who's staff and whether take-backsies would invalidate their collective authority.

Yeah, that sounds like someone important had a problem with it, but on reflection it was decided that actually taking it back after a public announcement would be worse than whatever they disliked about it to begin with.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

The bar's set pretty high, for a boar guy.

all the ladies say I'm pretty fly (for a boar guy)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Today I have to do paperwork. Fuckin tax office.

Hopefully we can get the production schedule more set. The boss has been better about it but has a tendency to hit pause and it just sorta builds up. I got my Belgian dark strong in the tank, but I need to make that brown ale soon in I'm gonna harvest that yeast for the imperial stout which I'd like to be able to release by January at the latest.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

boar guy posted:

How ya doin', boar guy? (Oink oink, oink oink!)

boar guy posted:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

How will I protect my perfect children from 30-50 Boar Guys from running into my yard every 3-5 minutes?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Escape From Noise posted:

Today I have to do paperwork. Fuckin tax office.

Hopefully we can get the production schedule more set. The boss has been better about it but has a tendency to hit pause and it just sorta builds up. I got my Belgian dark strong in the tank, but I need to make that brown ale soon in I'm gonna harvest that yeast for the imperial stout which I'd like to be able to release by January at the latest.

All that time spent brewing up a nice healthy imperial stout only to be eaten by a wild IPA as soon as its released.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We're gonna do one soon. The issue has been a real lack of cold room space. We have six tanks but I can only get four batches in there at a time, so really I usually only ever have three or four tanks full at most. I've been trying to get them to let me fill 2-3 tanks with beers that have a longer maturation process so that way if I need to hold off on packaging it won't cause any freshness issues and could at least theoretically improve things a bit. That's sorta why I made the dark strong and plan on making the imperial stout. I'm gonna try to make a biere de Noël with yeast from a French saison we're supposed to make as well, in between make a brown ale and this tropical IPA, probably a hazy IPA at some point during the winter as well. I'm supposed to make a Belgian wit and a white IPA using the same yeast but that keeps getting pushed back for some reason.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Doctor Butts posted:

gently caress IPA. Everything is an IPA. Some breweries ONLY make IPAs. It's boring. I'm done with that poo poo.

Every brewery also makes a beer named something like "Slutty horny Blonde spreading her pussy for you to put your manly cock in".

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

evobatman posted:

Every brewery also makes a beer named something like "Slutty horny Blonde spreading her pussy for you to put your manly cock in".

Clap-having jezeblonde ale

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

evobatman posted:

I'm going to the wrong breweries

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There are breweries in the UK that do nothing else.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I was on a call with a vendor yesterday and the site manager ended up venting to us about his absolutely dire staffing situation in a way that was at once completely honest and not at all reassuring for a company we thought would be a growth supplier just a year ago. They lost at least one person to a competitor a few weeks ago and that started a cascade of people just quitting or being reassigned to cover high need areas. They tried hiring but aren't getting resumes from experienced enough people that they won't need weeks of training just to not bungle basic operations. They hired a temp agency and had at least one guy go out for lunch and just never come back, so the temp agency decided to stop working with them. Worst of all, their most experienced guy on one of their most vital operations just stopped coming in a week ago and so their lead engineer is on the floor covering for him while they call the guy several times a day trying to figure out where he is and when he'll be back.

I've never heard of a supplier collapsing like this so fast; they've entered a tailspin and will have a hard time pulling out of it. They need experienced people to get them through this crisis, but the manufacturing industry around here is a small world and if they're having trouble all the skilled people already know. That means that if they wanted to try to hire someone away they'd have to bump their pay by like 20% instead of the usual 5%-10% if you wanted to poach someone just to get past the stigma they have now. That's money they don't have because they haven't been shipping parts. Because they aren't shipping parts and are blaming their inability to keep people from quitting as the reason their new orders/new business is going to dry up fast. I'm already warning some of my internal customers about the problems with the vendor in case they were in the running for a new order. It's not a great look to try to warn customers off a vendor, but we're talking a year or more to get the first run of a new design approved, so if they are looking to be on their knees now who knows if they'll be able to produce a new design before they shut down?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like they have some bigger internal issue if one quitting could bring about that level of failure cascade.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Lazyfire posted:

They hired a temp agency and had at least one guy go out for lunch and just never come back, so the temp agency decided to stop working with them. Worst of all, their most experienced guy on one of their most vital operations just stopped coming in a week ago and so their lead engineer is on the floor covering for him while they call the guy several times a day trying to figure out where he is and when he'll be back.

That reminds me of a new software engineer we hired last year. Everything went great for a couple of weeks, and then he just stopped showing up. Just calling in sick every day. We got worried, but when boss went to check in on him, he wouldn't answer the door. When we got really worried we had police check on him but he just told them he was fine. He didn't show up for literal months before his contract was ended.

Only way, way later we heard that his father had suddenly died, and he relapsed into a serious clinical depression and just laid on the couch all day. Poor guy. He was a fun co-worker too, very fanatical about random stuff (like he'd always bring a thermos of his own special brand of tea).
:smith:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I've got 8 tasks to work, 6 of which are un-planned drop in tasks.

Don't hire more project managers though, certainly don't do that. Especially don't do it when I'm openly looking to post out of the group, you'll be fine.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Our new requirement for people to be back in the office for part of every week will extend to everybody unless they were hired during lockdown on an explicitly remote contract."

"What about the people who had full time wfh pre-pandemic and have lived hundreds of miles away from the office for years/decades?"

"Their wfh agreement would have been negotiated with an agreed upon portion of time being in the office. Their actual attendance may have slipped over time but we expect everyone to work to the new pattern."

*Pretty much everyone with an existing wfh agreement*: "You loving what, mate?"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Who could have predicted this?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goatface posted:

Sounds like they have some bigger internal issue if one quitting could bring about that level of failure cascade.

Yeah, we knew they were having staffing problems before this and were supposedly selling off equipment. I had heard as much from our Business Development guy maybe a month after we toured the facility and I had noted that their entire inspection area was unpopulated.

I just got off the phone with said BD guy and he was apparently aware there were deeper issues for a while and was "doing research" on how bad things were. He's been the BD guy for that supplier for two years and has been there twice. By comparison, he has a full on office at another supplier because he's there so much that we joke he's drawing a check from them.

goatface posted:

"Our new requirement for people to be back in the office for part of every week will extend to everybody unless they were hired during lockdown on an explicitly remote contract."

"What about the people who had full time wfh pre-pandemic and have lived hundreds of miles away from the office for years/decades?"

"Their wfh agreement would have been negotiated with an agreed upon portion of time being in the office. Their actual attendance may have slipped over time but we expect everyone to work to the new pattern."

*Pretty much everyone with an existing wfh agreement*: "You loving what, mate?"

That's a really great way to just lose all your long term employees as fast as possible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That honestly might be one of their aims. We're still staring down a politically mandated headcount reduction of 20-40% from our peak.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatface posted:

That honestly might be one of their aims. We're still staring down a politically mandated headcount reduction of 20-40% from our peak.

Then it's absolutely that. This is by far the least expensive way to do it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, replacements for the lifers (and they will need replacing, the work is still there) have a basic training time measured in years.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you ever notice that the shittier the CEO, the more they want everyone to bring their family to holiday parties? the gently caress is that?

my wife already gets spam test texts to her personal phone from our it security provider, which is loving weird and intrusive. i dont want her anywhere around you loving scumbags

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

you ever notice that the shittier the CEO, the more they want everyone to bring their family to holiday parties? the gently caress is that?

my wife already gets spam test texts to her personal phone from our it security provider, which is loving weird and intrusive. i dont want her anywhere around you loving scumbags

at our company/international megaconglomerate We're A Family

would u ask your Family for a pay raise or better working conditions? Not very considerate IMO

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"we're a family' means 'you're the children'. families keep secrets. families are patriarchal. families put up with unreasonable poo poo.

it's hilarious, every job i've ever been at, i've been the tryhard give it your all, gotta be better than everyone else guy. it just gets you more work. i took 7 years off to run a consultancy and have been back at a square job for about a year and a half now, and the more i act like a sociopath the more highly they think of me. i should have been doing this since 2007.

i think the holiday party thing is just pure ego. 'look at all these people i provide for! i can't be a bad person or a stupid rear end in a top hat!'

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

evobatman posted:

Right before I left the brewery I worked at in Seattle we had started contract brewing all the beers for a place that had an IPA called "Hoppy Bitch" and a double IPA called "Crazy Bitch". Even the semi chuddy ex marine who was just starting in the brewery after working in the taproom thought that those names were embarrassing.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 1, 2022

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Every time the HR organizes another Friday post-work hangout I always check out because 1) Friday is my regular gaming night with my buddy, 2) I'd rather watch paint dry than hang out with coworkere outside office hours.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
We’re constantly in the doghouse because we aren’t meeting pre Covid benchmarks.

Unrelated, the CEO just sent out an annual earnings email congratulating everyone for absolutely smashing the profits record for the second year in a row.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Unrelated, the CEO just sent out an annual earnings email congratulating everyone for absolutely smashing the profits record for the second year in a row.

haha this is the part that gets me. we practice open book management so everyone knows that the three owners are up more than a million each this year. net. so shut the gently caress up about the extra half a percent ebitda already fuckfaces, do you not think we're intelligent enough to know that "us" when we talk about "the company" means "the owners"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My team is 75% remote. And not just “a couple-hour drive” remote like me, but ”across the country” or “a whole other country” remote.

My not-remote boss interprets feedback he received about team building to necessitate circling the wagons and bringing everyone on-site once a quarter, saying it’s optional if you can’t make it.

I can read between the lines there.

He gives three-weeks notice for the first one, scheduled for a week and a half from today. Everyone makes travel plans (luckily, the company reimburses for such travel, but a not-negligible financial ask in the interim).

But then this morning, he hits the work chat, points out a big company event happening the following week, and “asks” if it works for everyone to move the on-site to match.

I have in-laws in town that week, and while my wife certainly doesn’t need me around to hang out with her family, I told my boss that I already had made plans for my hours outside of work.

The ask is just so loving inconsiderate, and that makes it wildly out of character - I actually have a very reasonable job otherwise. It’s not a serious problem like those that so frequently pop up in this thread, but uhg, just needed to rant.