Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

he's literally saying that he doesn't like ebikes because they would make biking be less exercise and feel too easy, so attributing this reasoning to this piece seems massively overly generous

It just stood out to me as something that he totally omitted in the paragraph about how e-bikes don't fix any of the problems with biking. The entire piece reads like he went out of his way to only consider his personal experience and avoid any of the literature or conversations about the topic. And then, what do you know...

https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1565043167354822660?s=20&t=ofwPqwV4hDVh86G4cN3gpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It just stood out to me as something that he totally omitted in the paragraph about how e-bikes don't fix any of the problems with biking. The entire piece reads like he went out of his way to only consider his personal experience and avoid any of the literature or conversations about the topic. And then, what do you know...

https://twitter.com/ibogost/status/1565043167354822660?s=20&t=ofwPqwV4hDVh86G4cN3gpw
Lol he just invented mopeds

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I read the article and it has no loving clear point. It seems like his problem is entirely with taxonomy, and how he is personally confused by ebikes being different from bikes (they have a motor).

lmao

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
All bikes are good bikes, Ian

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dude seems like he is being willfully obtuse. Also he should try a torque sensing bike.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I read the article and it has no loving clear point. It seems like his problem is entirely with taxonomy, and how he is personally confused by ebikes being different from bikes (they have a motor).

lmao

Ah yes quite the oddity of adding a motor to a bike. The propulsion is strange, and that makes them odd as a whole?

This whole thing is dumb. Every word of it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

blatant engagement trolling without making any genuinely interesting observations. his take is like a third-rate Matt Yglesias and not nearly galaxy brained enough.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Clearly he wants this:

https://wickedthumb.com/

(Also, obviously there are already mopeds and full on electric motorcycles if you actually want that)

T.C. fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 31, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

not gonna lie, my crank opinion is that fat-tire / chopper / SUV-lite ebikes are dumb, wasteful, and overpriced. the best ebikes very closely resemble normal mountain bikes, city bikes, cargo bikes, or touring bikes.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
You can't honestly expect me to ride shared paths and groomed trails in the woods on anything less than a 3.8" tire. And yeah, I do need a trailer for my dog.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

not gonna lie, my crank opinion is that fat-tire / chopper / SUV-lite ebikes are dumb, wasteful, and overpriced. the best ebikes very closely resemble normal mountain bikes, city bikes, cargo bikes, or touring bikes.

So what does this count as? :ohdear:

Oh yeah, I guess new e-bike report. After bouts of bad luck with tires and tubes and generally being uncomfortable for very long rides (between the stiff seat, lack of rear suspension, and the mass of the rear hub motor accentuating jolts to the rear wheel, in addition to not a big fan of the thumb throttle), I've replaced the e-Joe with Lectric's new XPremium bike. I specifically picked it for the mid-drive motor, twist-grip throttle, and opting for the comfort seat option to address the issues I had with the e-Joe plus it feels a lot more sturdy and well built. Overall, it has made a world of difference taking this thing on the Henry Hudson Trail to Sandy Hook. However, I was not expecting it to feel that much more heavy than the e-Joe going from 44 lbs to 75 lbs. I haven't tried to put the Lectric in my car and I'm not sure I would want to.

Even though I just bought a brand new toy, I've also been looking into even more compact e-bike or e-scooter options for taking the train as train station is only 1.25 miles from me. In fact, with a compact bike/scooter, I could take feasibly take the train to work. It's on the same train line (Aberdeen-Matawan to Manasquan) but it does require transferring trains at Long Branch since that's as far as New York-originating trains tend to go. As a result, a one-way trip ends up being about 1.25 hour commute instead of half an hour and I spend about $20 on tickets round-trip instead of roughly $14 in gas and tolls (and that's the worst case scenario with my gas-guzzling Subaru Forester XT and $6/gal premium gas). And while work is only 2.5 miles from Manasquan station, Manasquan station is a ground-level station with no handicap access so getting the bike down is an adventure and getting it onto the train is a non-starter. Fortunately, the next station over is handicap accessible and only adds a 10 minute ride from Manasquan station (ticket price fortunately remains the same) but that's not ideal if I were to do this somewhat consistently. I've actually taken the Lectric to and from work while diagnosing an oil leak in my Subaru that was significant enough that I wasn't comfortable driving it. As noted, the additional time and money doesn't make sense to do this outright (and I do hybrid work with enough flexibility to temporarily work full-time remote as needed) but at least I have it as an emergency option when the Subaru breaks down again. However, I definitely need something that is small and light enough to trumble up and down the steps of the train.

For reference, this is what I have to contend with getting up and down the train.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_V#/media/File:Port_Jervis_Train_at_Harriman.jpg

Except the platform isn't even slightly raised; it's gravel.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1211798,-74.047404,3a,15y,204.16h,88.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svcPFJh76wtOkTC78GsxHlQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

quote:

Counterintuitively, because the e-bike is easier to ride than a normal bike, I feel less inclined to adopt it as a regular practice, let alone a whole commuting identity. All the downsides of biking still remain, without the satisfaction of persisting in the face of adversity.
who the gently caress adopts a "commuting identity" lmao

The stupid fucker is pining for self-actualization, not a convenient and environmentally-friendly mode of transportation.

his take is like a third-rate Matt Yglesias and not nearly galaxy brained enough.
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1564743482408947712

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Edward IV posted:

folding bikes are very cool when there's a good use-case, but yes that bike still counts unfortunately. vehicle tire particulate is a terrible source of environmental pollution, and fat tires are designed for soft, unstable terrain and are otherwise inefficient. you'd see better performance and less pollution with narrower, higher pressure tires.

unless you just really enjoy cycling, e-scooters are pretty unbeatable for train commuters who live/work reasonably close to their stations.

lmao perfect. looking forward to his eventual insufferable takes on this topic

mystes
May 31, 2006

less pollution with narrower, higher pressure tires.
Oh gently caress off

Once you're worrying about the negligible difference in particulates between fat tires and normal tires you should probably just stop biking

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & better things. you imbecile. you loving moron"

mystes
May 31, 2006

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & better things. you imbecile. you loving moron"
You're in the ebike thread. Normal bikes are presumably more environmentally friendly than ebikes, so if you take this argument to its logical conclusion, and go for "better" rather than "good" you shouldn't be riding an ebike, you should be riding a road bike with high pressure 23mm tires to minimize waste, or maybe walking with shoes that don't have rubber soles. Also, I hope you aren't doing any recreational riding (which is going to create far more unnecessary particle emissions than simply switching from thin tires to fat tires) and aren't making up any extra calories you're burning biking by eating additional meat.

I guess you also shouldn't ride cargo bikes because they're heavier which will result in more wear. You also shouldn't ever ride a bike with a suspension; presumably this is also causing more tire wear (and particle emissions) when you're on roads, plus think of all that extra power you're using which, on an ebike, may be coming from fossil fuels!

My point is: a tiny difference in particle emissions between fat tires and thin tires on bikes is simply not a significant factor that anyone should make any decisions based on.

What you're really trying to say is "I don't like fat tires and I'm a snob so I'm trying to come up with dumb reasons why fat tires are 'wrong'" so, I don't know, maybe just remember that there are tons of people riding normal bikes who feel the exact same way about all ebikes.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 1, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

oh my god how dare someone suggest that some things are better than others, which they previously admitted was a crank opinion

time to have a meltdown and piss my pants

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh my god how dare someone suggest that some things are better than others, which they previously admitted was a crank opinion

time to have a meltdown and piss my pants
You don't need to get mad just because I'm pointing out that "fat tires are bad because of particle emissions" is insanely dumb take. You can still dislike fat tires, you just don't need to claim it's for environmental reasons .

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 1, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I guess you just don't take pollution seriously. that's fine. climate change can't be solved by individual action anyway, so you do you!

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess you just don't take pollution seriously. that's fine. climate change can't be solved by individual action anyway, so you do you!
Just think how much you could reduce your carbon emissions by not posting

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Have you looked into the carbon impact of digging a shallow hole and laying down in it for the rest of your life?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Time for my twice a year rant: I am going to call out ebike companies for being poo poo without reservation when they don't take stopping seriously. Most hub drive bikes are in this category. This time it is Rad power with their pad overhang and full length slinky housing. (Because I work with rad power more than any other single brand).

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

150 miles into my Lectric XP 2, I had my first flat. It was probably my fault for not checking the air pressure frequently enough. I ended up pushing the bike 3 miles home and ordering replacement tubes.

When they get here, I plan on using Flat Out to help seal them from future flats. Apart from air, brake, and chain maintenance, is there any bike maintenance I should be doing regularly? The manual recommends checking the torque specs of every bolt before every ride, but that seems excessive for liability purposes.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
10/10 would recommend taking your (class 1 only) e-bike to the old carriage roads at Acadia National Park for an early morning ride. a normal bike woulda had me struggling with all the hills and missing the great scenery, but i was able to take a leisurely ride and hop on and off for pictures without breaking much of a sweat

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is a pro tip in Acadia. There are a few good shops in Bar Harbor that rent them. I made it down to Jordan Pond House and then had a nice chat with a park ranger who helped me figure out the way back.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Here's a response to Bogost's piece that has a bit more thought put into it:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88q54x/america-has-an-e-bike-problem-that-cant-be-solved-with-more-e-bikes

I'm jealous of any place that has enough bikes on the street that it's actually straining the infrastructure.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Since I got my ebike, I'm avoiding getting t-boned on a daily basis by drivers rolling intersections and lining their A-pillar perfectly with me. Getting kind of annoying tbh having to stop or slow down to near zero until I make eye contact, but it's not going to change so stay safe e-goons.

I don't think this happens as much on my regular bikes. I'm not exaggerating when I say it happens every time I go out.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

CopperHound posted:

Time for my twice a year rant: I am going to call out ebike companies for being poo poo without reservation when they don't take stopping seriously. Most hub drive bikes are in this category. This time it is Rad power with their pad overhang and full length slinky housing. (Because I work with rad power more than any other single brand).

Took me a moment to note the issue.

So anyway, I got a new chain wear indicator and a new chain. Turns out mine was one more tour from being worn per Shimano's tool. Is 1500km a normal distance to wear a chain down?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Took me a moment to note the issue.

So anyway, I got a new chain wear indicator and a new chain. Turns out mine was one more tour from being worn per Shimano's tool. Is 1500km a normal distance to wear a chain down?

Depends entirely on the conditions. I’ve got road chains that last thousands and thousands of miles and CX chains that get absolutely thrashed after only a short period.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

CopperHound posted:

Time for my twice a year rant

drat straight. If you're a company building e-bikes there's no excuse for this.
I have two self-converted hub drive bikes. On the one I solved the issue by welding up the caliper mount myself. On the other one I need to build a custom flat-to-post adapter myself. I really should get on that, it's been a year and a half of suboptimal braking. I have all tools and materials necessary and I'm out of excuses.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Scotland looks to have the right idea (well, at least in terms of doing something instead of nothing). Ideally would be fully subsidized.
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1566771675034787840?t=CQMID3CS3QNUBYDTBCGw_g&s=19

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Yeah I found the E-bike thread on SA :)

I ordered a Tern GSD S00 e-cargo 2 months ago as a company car replacement (allowing me to protect my bonus from being taxed, saving me 3500€). I plan to use it to drive 2 children to school and go to work. I had the opportunity to test it and a few other brands around my neighborhood. I live in a street with a 30% slope and I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could climb it with 2 kids in the back without a sweat. Also it's super fun to ride. This is truly a game changer for me, I can't wait to use it everyday.

I should receive it next week :toot:

I have a feeling e-bikes are going to be huge in here (Belgium) in the coming years. Especially with increasing gas prices. We already see a lot of them, but it feels like it's just the beginning.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am disappointed with the braking on my e-bike too. I have a pretty overpowered one, so generally what should I be looking at for chonky brakes? I have a mid-drive.

Regarding overpowered e-bikes: I still think there's a use for them but I can see why people would be content now with 500W or lower in-town. Where I was before was more like an exurb. I had to cycle beside 50MPH roads with just a grass shoulder, with other areas being long, isolated stretches. So I very much fit that need of the SUV equivalent of an e-bike. In town here, I barely get up to my highest gear before I am having to decelerate again to turn off or otherwise just deal with stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

While I was on a bike ride today one pedestrian asked me about my bike and said they liked the style and then another person on a normal bike told me very excitedly that they had already ordered a Rad Power bike and it was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday but the delivery had unfortunately been delayed.
I love that people are getting on bikes but radpowers will never not look like weird americana versions of a bike. It's like "I want bottom-priced SUV, but make it a bike"

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Yeah I found the E-bike thread on SA :)

I ordered a Tern GSD S00 e-cargo 2 months ago as a company car replacement (allowing me to protect my bonus from being taxed, saving me 3500€). I plan to use it to drive 2 children to school and go to work. I had the opportunity to test it and a few other brands around my neighborhood. I live in a street with a 30% slope and I was pleasantly surprised to discover I could climb it with 2 kids in the back without a sweat. Also it's super fun to ride. This is truly a game changer for me, I can't wait to use it everyday.

I should receive it next week :toot:

I have a feeling e-bikes are going to be huge in here (Belgium) in the coming years. Especially with increasing gas prices. We already see a lot of them, but it feels like it's just the beginning.

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US.

We have a gen 1. It owns.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Scotland looks to have the right idea (well, at least in terms of doing something instead of nothing). Ideally would be fully subsidized.
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1566771675034787840?t=CQMID3CS3QNUBYDTBCGw_g&s=19
What do you get back when you get an EV that happens to have 4 wheels instead? This is ok i guess, but also dumb incrementalism.

Edward IV posted:

going from 44 lbs to 75 lbs. I haven't tried to put the Lectric in my car and I'm not sure I would want to.
LOL literally the same weight as my e-cargo bike.

Safety Dance posted:

For the thirty billionth time I've stopped at a cafe, used the cafe lock, and then yeeted my bike against the locked rear wheel because I forgot I used the cafe lock.
LOL I've destroyed a half a dozen spokes doing that. It's hilariously easy to fix with a rubberized mount too (urban arrow) but nobody does it. I just removed mine.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 8, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am disappointed with the braking on my e-bike too. I have a pretty overpowered one, so generally what should I be looking at for chonky brakes? I have a mid-drive.

What brakes do you have now?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you are lighter and are really just cruising around on open flat land and taking it slow with a 250w or something, you could probably get away with mechanical brakes. I would way prefer hydraulic brakes, especially when you're talking about the added weight of a big mid-drive ebike. If you have hydraulic disc brakes, they should at least be on par with the cheapest SRAM and Shimano brakes. Moving up those lineups gets better stopping power and things like 4 piston brakes that may be important if you do a lot of downhill riding, but anything in the lineup for the most part should be solid for normal riding. They might have put tiny rotors on the bike as well. With a big heavy ebike, you want at least 160mm rotors, but you'd get a lot better performance with 180's or a 180 in the rear and a 203 in the front.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mechanical brakes can be strong enough if the cable isn't running through five feet of compressible spring. What hydraulic gets you is automatic adjustment for pad wear.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Regarding overpowered e-bikes: I still think there's a use for them but I can see why people would be content now with 500W or lower in-town. Where I was before was more like an exurb. I had to cycle beside 50MPH roads with just a grass shoulder, with other areas being long, isolated stretches. So I very much fit that need of the SUV equivalent of an e-bike. In town here, I barely get up to my highest gear before I am having to decelerate again to turn off or otherwise just deal with stuff.

Yeah, for a while I was really itching for something really overpowered. But the more I ride around my area the less I'm wanting to go fast and more just have a smooth ride with good pedal assist than anything else. My 250w is definitely a slouch on even moderate inclines, but that's likely due to it being a 36v controller and the added weight.

mystes
May 31, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

I love that people are getting on bikes but radpowers will never not look like weird americana versions of a bike. It's like "I want bottom-priced SUV, but make it a bike"
I give this a B+ as an attempt at elitist bike gatekeeping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sorry roasting suburbanites who drive overpriced pickups that they don't need isn't gatekeeping cars any more than roasting other forms overbuilt transportation