Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DaveSauce posted:

I don't see anything wrong with hand written as long as it's accurate and descriptive enough. I've never seen anything but in a house...

I've also never met a label printer whose media sticks for any duration, especially something that's outside the heating/cooling envelope. At least, not anything that isn't expensive and commercial/indsutrial grade. Those will be durable, but the printers cost a poo poo-ton of money (edit: could probably find a place online that'll do it for you on good quality media, though).

What I'm really saying I guess is I wouldn't trust any home/small office label printer to hold up for more than a year in a typical electrical panel, maybe up to a few years if it's in a basement or something.

edit: Also to be sure, "accurate" and "legible" are two very, very different things.

I think you're mostly addressing the comment of going back to label a panel in our homes. And I agree that the craft store labellmaker might not last a long time on an exterior panel. Probably OK inside.

An electrician that you've hired to do high quality work on your home should be using commercial grade labels.

Accurate and legible are definitely different although one who cares enough to provide one will care enough to provide the other. Both fall under the umbrella of high quality. It should be a sign that every termination inside was done with care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The next owners are going to curse you when that URL no longer works.

It still does, but I also printed a copy of the spreadsheet and left it on the box as well when we moved out because older folks bought the house and I'm not trying to make home ownership even more difficult than it naturally is.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i need to spend the hour or two mapping out my breakers. my panel seriously has the labels "PLUGS", "KITCHEN PLUGS", "PLUGS", "KITCHEN PLUGS", "EXISTING LIGHTS", "FAMILY PLUGS". c'mon man, really? two labeled Kitchen Plugs and two labeled just Plugs? and one of the so-called existing lights actually goes to outlets in at least two of the bedrooms

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Poopelyse posted:

i need to spend the hour or two mapping out my breakers. my panel seriously has the labels "PLUGS", "KITCHEN PLUGS", "PLUGS", "KITCHEN PLUGS", "EXISTING LIGHTS", "FAMILY PLUGS". c'mon man, really? two labeled Kitchen Plugs and two labeled just Plugs? and one of the so-called existing lights actually goes to outlets in at least two of the bedrooms

Wait until you discover that the GFCI outlet in a bathroom covers multiple rooms on the other side of the house.

Wire must've been cheap that year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

StormDrain posted:

I think you're mostly addressing the comment of going back to label a panel in our homes. And I agree that the craft store labellmaker might not last a long time on an exterior panel. Probably OK inside.

An electrician that you've hired to do high quality work on your home should be using commercial grade labels.

Accurate and legible are definitely different although one who cares enough to provide one will care enough to provide the other. Both fall under the umbrella of high quality. It should be a sign that every termination inside was done with care.

The electricians who replaced my panel 2 years ago just used a pen to write in what each breaker went to. The labels are great too, like the one that is just "Lighting". Or the blank one that I still have no idea what it controls. They turned out to not be "high quality" electricians, much to my great disappointment.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Ok old house owners… a few months ago we had some issues with water coming in around a window. The issues were caused by two things: issues with the gutters being clogged (fixed with screens) and damaged mortar in the brick (fixed with repointing). Since then no water has come in.

Had a plaster guy come out to quote repairing the damaged plaster. He said that he can’t do that until the exterior brick is sealed - because there’s still moisture in the wall and it’s coming through the brick. He doesn’t know if it’s old moisture or new moisture. His proof of that was throwing water at the brick and the water was absorbed. But this is old brick - and when I read things online, I see conflicting information. Many people say that this is what the brick was designed to do, and sealing it ruins it because the moisture can’t escape. There’s two courses of brick in the wall, and then several inches of plaster. Anyone have thoughts here?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Beef Of Ages posted:

Wait until you discover that the GFCI outlet in a bathroom covers multiple rooms on the other side of the house.

Wire must've been cheap that year.

My house from 1978 has the garage outlet, the one outdoor outlet, and all three bathroom outlets on the same GFCI breaker. For my electric smoker (800w) I now use an extension cord through the back door to an outlet in the kitchen that is the only device on that 20a breaker.

That outlet actually had a cable running from it to ??? That is disconnected assuming I would find something dead down the line eventually. It's been like a year and I have no clue where it went to. My current theory was it should go to an outlet on the end of the peninsula or cabinets that doesn't exist.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Medullah posted:

Hey all -

I'm at the point where I need to get a generator. I'm thinking of going all in and getting a Generac whole home tied to my natural gas system, but it may be overkill. I really don't know much about them.

What would you guys recommend for a generator in a 1600 square foot single occupant home, need to keep the fridge running along with a desktop, a laptop, 3 monitors along with router/modem.

Your distribution panel is hilarious

You have air conditioning so you'll need way more than a 7kw generator, that's the largest they sell at harbor freight (~30 amps continuous, more for burst loads like your fridge compressor starting up)

The biggest factor is the start up amps on the AC unit. I forget exactly but it varies from 55-90 amps instantaneous, which is a gently caress ton of amps you use for 1-3 seconds and then never come within 50% of that the rest of the time

You have two options, 1) install a kit to reduce the amps used, to or buy a gently caress off big generator. The kit is either a smart soft start thing, or a giant capacitor the size of a softball. Either solution gets you down to about 40 amps but if you ever replace your ac unit you or the next other will have to install a new kit 2) buy a 22kw mega generator and never worry about the fixes described in 1)

Generac is the 800 lb gorilla, you'll always be able to get parts for that, and the guy servicing your generator will have trained on generac, and the guys doing the install will probably offer a service plan. Looks like there is a $1000 difference between the 14kw and the 22kw. Once you factor in installation costs the 22kw upgrade looks pretty cheap, plus it will work with everything forever

https://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/home-backup-generators#?cat=6&cat=214&cat=217&cat=249

You want the whole home permanent installation unless you have weird situation/requirements, don't buy a portable generator unless that's all you can afford and don't need a/c

Full disclosure I have the "top of the line" harbor freight* 30a inverter generator + 14000 btu floor unit portable AC** because I have a weird situation + I'm dumb, don't be me. I also have a couple Jerry cans now I have to store + a siphon and pray power doesn't go out for longer than 3-4 days

*never seen those words used together in the same sentence before, lol
** Most 120v ac units pull max 15 amps so you can run a window or floor unit to cool the living room or a bedroom, but absolutely will not cool your whole house

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 30, 2022

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Got quotes for two ceiling fan installations and bathroom exhaust fan installations. What's recommended for either? I see Panasonic and Broan for exhaust fans, but dunno about ceiling fans.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

A good compromise between lovely handwriting and sourcing a label maker are these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088ZQ9FXL/

It says they apply directly to the breaker but you certainly don't have to. I stuck as many as applied to each breaker on the cover and then drew a line to the breaker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DTaeKim posted:

Got quotes for two ceiling fan installations and bathroom exhaust fan installations. What's recommended for either? I see Panasonic and Broan for exhaust fans, but dunno about ceiling fans.

We have a bunch of Hunter brand fans in our house and they work great and are really quiet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Panasonic is like the gold standard for exhaust fans.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

I've also never met a label printer whose media sticks for any duration, especially something that's outside the heating/cooling envelope. At least, not anything that isn't expensive and commercial/indsutrial grade. Those will be durable, but the printers cost a poo poo-ton of money (edit: could probably find a place online that'll do it for you on good quality media, though).

The power company was replacing a pole around the block from us a few days ago so we went on a walk with the kids to watch. Crane, bucket truck w/ auger, pole laying down in the middle of the road, guy up on pole disconnecting stuff, it was a little kids dream.

One of the line workers came over and chatted with the kids, and gave them each high voltage placards and adhesive stickers. I am terrified of what adhesive is on the back of those things and told them in no uncertain terms were we adhering them to any portion of the house or each other. Needless to say the kids were thrilled and I deeply want to slap one on the prius.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Are KitchenAid and JennAir the only game in town on downdraft gas cooktops? We have an island and the venting goes through the floor outside versus being overhead so downdraft is my only option I guess?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TheWevel posted:

Are KitchenAid and JennAir the only game in town on downdraft gas cooktops? We have an island and the venting goes through the floor outside versus being overhead so downdraft is my only option I guess?

I think you will find downdraft is absolute trash, but you can get a vent that pops up from below and vents from behind the range if ripping your ceiling out isn't a choice.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Panasonic is also likely to still exist in 20 years to claim warranty or find a like replacement

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

The power company was replacing a pole around the block from us a few days ago so we went on a walk with the kids to watch. Crane, bucket truck w/ auger, pole laying down in the middle of the road, guy up on pole disconnecting stuff, it was a little kids dream.

One of the line workers came over and chatted with the kids, and gave them each high voltage placards and adhesive stickers. I am terrified of what adhesive is on the back of those things and told them in no uncertain terms were we adhering them to any portion of the house or each other. Needless to say the kids were thrilled and I deeply want to slap one on the prius.

Hell I'm 34 years old and I'd be jazzed about that too.

You know you need to put that sticker on your car.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ha haaaa alright, after a month of radio silence my remodelers have sent me the contract and asked me to be out of the house by September 6th so they can start demo

Finding a place to live with a cat and a dog and a car is... not easy

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Hell I'm 34 years old and I'd be jazzed about that too.

Uh yeah. It was just the kids who were excited and not nearly 40 year old me. 100%.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My electric panel is all goofy. It's only 100 amp and a number of the breakers have some kind of metal bracket thing to split them off. Idk what the hell is going on in it. The electrician who did the circuit for my mini-splits was supposed to be working on the permits and stuff to upgrade my panel to 200 amps. After 4 weeks of not hearing anything I called last friday to find out whats going on. Was told I'd hear back by monday, but nothing so far.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
You guys think you have it bad?
A plumber (or something like that) used to live in my house, and he also fancies himself an electrician.

I have one breaker that just doesn't go anywhere. My electrician has tested literally every outlet and light point, and breaker 2 just doesn't have a destination. It does have a cable leading up into the ceiling from the panel, though.

He also installed a separate breaker for the balcony. That's where he kept his washing machine, which dumped its waste water into the normal rain spout that he diverted a little pipe to. There's 16 floors worth of other balconies below mine, and rain spouts aren't meant for hot water with soap in it. For some reason he got away with this for years. It was only found out after I'd moved in and had installed my washing machine there. This was two years ago, so people were at home more often than they were before, and apparently a lot of them noticed that even when it wasn't raining, water was coming down, and that it was a lot warmer than rain usually is.

So now one of my next projects is to put the power outlets on the balcony on my bedroom's breaker, and divert that balcony breaker to the kitchen (laying cable through the bedroom that shares a wall with the kitchen) for future use for an induction cooktop. I'm not going to use anything more demanding than some string lights on the balcony anyway

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Are trees taller than the house worth keeping around in the climate change era? I feel like they just fall over now and I should clear cut but it would be hideous and piss off the neighbors and I'd lose shade.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

slurm posted:

Are trees taller than the house worth keeping around in the climate change era? I feel like they just fall over now and I should clear cut but it would be hideous and piss off the neighbors and I'd lose shade.
What? Don't cut down healthy old growth trees.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes please clear cut any plant over six feet in your vicinity. If nothing else at least it will help clear the second floor sight lines to various points of approach

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

slurm posted:

How are you such a bad poster in so many subforums? :wow:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

gvibes posted:

What? Don't cut down healthy old growth trees.

Unfortunately we have willow oaks here, which basically become decrepit instantly once they're big and pretty. It really sucks. My old neighbor's house got basically obliterated by one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Its always worth having a good arborist come by to take stock of your property and give you advice on your trees. They can tell you whats healthy, whats not, what needs a trimming, etc. There are certain trees that tend to be problems at a certain age and should be removed if they are close to your house and pose a risk of falling/breaking. I have two very large cottonwood/poplars and every arborist has told me to remove them asap as they are both nearing the end of their lifespan and will break very large branches off, and they're right over the house.

Its going to be expensive but I can't wait because they produce so many leaves and sticks in the yard and on my roof, plus it might allow a little more light into our yard but thankfully we still have a bunch of other trees around that it won't make too big of a difference. My neighbors wooded lot is next to my yard and they have a young one 10' from the fence and I'm going to ask if I can have it removed and pay for it because I don't want it getting to the same size so close to my house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

slurm posted:

Unfortunately we have willow oaks here, which basically become decrepit instantly once they're big and pretty. It really sucks. My old neighbor's house got basically obliterated by one.

Don't cut down trees wtf.

Verman posted:

Its always worth having a good arborist come by to take stock of your property and give you advice on your trees. They can tell you whats healthy, whats not, what needs a trimming, etc

And make sure to ask about adequate irrigation and strategy.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

slurm posted:

Willow and water oaks can both be pretty hazardous as they age and deteriorate, but if you keep them healthy and in good shape they can live a long time and not fall apart. I would get a certified arborist (NOT a tree surgeon or ‘tree care’ company) to look at them, possibly prune them for health and balance (to make them fall away from your house) and not cut them down until your insurance company starts fussing about them.

If you’re gonna cut down trees, make sure you replant something appropriate for your area and plant it well. Don’t get a Lowe’s tree and stick it in a tiny hole.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Willow and water oaks can both be pretty hazardous as they age and deteriorate, but if you keep them healthy and in good shape they can live a long time and not fall apart. I would get a certified arborist (NOT a tree surgeon or ‘tree care’ company) to look at them, possibly prune them for health and balance (to make them fall away from your house) and not cut them down until your insurance company starts fussing about them.

If you’re gonna cut down trees, make sure you replant something appropriate for your area and plant it well. Don’t get a Lowe’s tree and stick it in a tiny hole.

I think this is the plan, I'm hoping to get lucky with these, that they will have some life left in them. They've become a notorious menace here in NC as they age and tropical storms get nastier but at least everyone's wanting to replant properly like you said. The ones right on busy streets are typically the most deteriorated I think, so hopefully these are in a little better shape.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Verman posted:

Its always worth having a good arborist come by to take stock of your property and give you advice on your trees. They can tell you whats healthy, whats not, what needs a trimming, etc. There are certain trees that tend to be problems at a certain age and should be removed if they are close to your house and pose a risk of falling/breaking. I have two very large cottonwood/poplars and every arborist has told me to remove them asap as they are both nearing the end of their lifespan and will break very large branches off, and they're right over the house.

I...

How about a good pruning? I did that when I had three ash trees & a tulip poplar, all 90+ years old. Took the better part of ten years before I saw a twig on the lawn. (Later lost two of the ashes & the poplar to internal rot, but am re-growing one ash & the poplar from coppices of the ones that were cut)

e: what Kaiser Schnitzel said

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does stickley still make good furniture? We’re looking at some of their bedroom furniture.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Residency Evil posted:

Does stickley still make good furniture? We’re looking at some of their bedroom furniture.
yes, basically. Last time I priced them though you could about get stuff custom made by a furnituremaker for the same price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

If flying to Asheville to get custom furniture made for the price of quality premade furniture is still a thing I'd think you're a good candidate for that.

(or use "my guys" up the street that made my bedroom set: https://www.carterhf.com/)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My GC gave me a contract to sign that basically authorized them to charge ANY amount they want if "supply chain and labor shortages" increased prices

ha ha ha gently caress you

My contract lawyer is worth his weight in gold. The GC's primary annoyance is that he has to remember how to edit his Contract PDF

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

yes, basically. Last time I priced them though you could about get stuff custom made by a furnituremaker for the same price.

Motronic posted:

If flying to Asheville to get custom furniture made for the price of quality premade furniture is still a thing I'd think you're a good candidate for that.

(or use "my guys" up the street that made my bedroom set: https://www.carterhf.com/)

Thanks guys. Stickley is running a 40% off sale for Labor Day and I’ve promised my wife we’d get new bedroom furniture for the past…3 years? There’s a bedroom set she likes and it seems like the quality is decent at least. I’m not sure we have the time or energy to do custom furniture, but I’ll run it by her.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

This the place to ask for home security recommendations? Moving later this month to a new home and we want a security system. Any recommendations?

Go with a DIY system from Costco? ADT, Brinks? ATT Digital Life died today so I can’t get that.

I’ve lived in a townhouse for the last 15 years and it was a walk up so I never had the need beyond my cool neighbors that had ring doorbells.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Douchebag posted:

This the place to ask for home security recommendations? Moving later this month to a new home and we want a security system. Any recommendations?

Go with a DIY system from Costco? ADT, Brinks? ATT Digital Life died today so I can’t get that.

I’ve lived in a townhouse for the last 15 years and it was a walk up so I never had the need beyond my cool neighbors that had ring doorbells.

For what purpose do you want a security system? Actual security when you're not at home? Do you want it to include things like leak detectors?

Also, if you're expecting any meaningful homeowners insurance break that largely only come with systems that include central station smoke detectors. Which I highly recommend regardless of insurance breaks.

Also, do you want to self-install? Something like Simplisafe probably covers that. I have Abode but they seem to be falling apart as a company so I'm not sure it would be a good recommendation.

If not self-install you want to find the LOCAL alarm company. Not ADT. Talk to them about what you want and how much it will cost to install.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

For what purpose do you want a security system? Actual security when you're not at home? Do you want it to include things like leak detectors?

Also, if you're expecting any meaningful homeowners insurance break that largely only come with systems that include central station smoke detectors. Which I highly recommend regardless of insurance breaks.

Also, do you want to self-install? Something like Simplisafe probably covers that. I have Abode but they seem to be falling apart as a company so I'm not sure it would be a good recommendation.

If not self-install you want to find the LOCAL alarm company. Not ADT. Talk to them about what you want and how much it will cost to install.

Hmm cool thanks, all good points. I think we might start with a DIY so Simplisafe I will look into. At minimum wife wants some sort of doorbell camera to start.

We have a few Blink wifi cameras we use to monitor our puppy so we can do an ad-hoc motion sensor setup when we are out with those to start.

Thanks for the rec on talking to a local company. I got my HOH coverage through a local broker and it’s hundreds cheaper than a bigger company with the same coverages, deductibles etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
We've been happy overall with current gen simplisafe.

Still jammable by cheap AliExpress tech, but any wireless system is similarly foiled.

I've been happy with their customer service. Had a doorbell camera replaced for free due due to damage that was my fault. Also had a door sensor replaced for free when it stopped working.

Main complaint on the app is no way that I've been able to tell to have multiple logins for one account, so I periodically have to go thru the 2FA dance with my wife to renew her mobile access.