Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

It's been a while, but I think that is a bit goon telephoney?

revolutionary lady is not exactly sympathetic, but that's what happens in revolutions. Your society has become so poo poo that extremely violent people are a viable alternative to the stuff quo. And there wouldn't need to be a revolution if not for the racism, (which you get killed for).

I mean it could be I'm remembering it wrong and the protag states the 14 words while staring at the screen and nodding, but I got the strong impression that the game is about the historical roots of American racism and exceptionalism in a very text way, and it's a bit eye rolly to say Levine thinks racism is just like not-racism because if so why bother making a game about it?

Congratulations you actually thought about it instead of listening to the average goon nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The main character kills the leader of the revolution in order to stop them killing a kid because step 2 of throwing off the shackles of oppression is "slit the white children's throats".

Crossposting my thoughts on this from a short while ago:

Breetai posted:

Pictured: Bioshock Infinite's sole moral choice: do you hurl the ball at the young couple who are being publicly vilified for 'race mixing', or do you throw it at the carnival barker who is encouraging you to hurt them?

Note the giga-racist imagery in the background, with similar imagery used throughout the entire game in a ham-fisted attempt to make a point about racism while constantly displaying disturbingly well-crafted racist propaganda imagery, as well as the game's later assertion that "both sides, actually".

Like, I'm not saying that the developers are definitely in actuality a secret cabal of 100% dyed-in-the-wool racists, but the most charitable interpretation of a bunch of stuff in this game is that they attempted to tackle an issue that they were woefully inept at tackling and ended up creating some genuinely ugly poo poo as a result.

Breetai has a new favorite as of 02:28 on Sep 1, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am really torn between Booker and Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs 1 as my least favorite video game protagonist. They are both awful.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
While I think the game didn't treat it with enough nuance, I think there's a childrish, centrist expectation that slave revolts must be noble and dignified affairs. A protest, a speech, maybe some mustache-twirling bad people are allowed to get shot, and then afterwards the noble victims must extend a hand of friendship to their oppressors afterwards. Anything less would be plainly uncivil.

A group brutalizes, dehumanize and tortures people long enough to keep them as slaves? When that dam breaks, they're going to explode into a tsunami of rage and fear. Reprisals are not going to be targeted or clean. Revolutions are not nice.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

2house2fly posted:

The protagonist says "the only difference between Comstock (the white supremacist) and Fitzroy (the black revolutionary leader) is how you spell the name" but then the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat

Yeh anybody who does a Wounded Knee might have some biases

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Yeh anybody who does a Wounded Knee might have some biases

the best thing to come from infinite was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEjdihKnYk

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I am really torn between Booker and Aiden Pearce from Watch Dogs 1 as my least favorite video game protagonist. They are both awful.

Aiden is just kind of lovely and generic whereas Booker is literally a wounded knee vet and creator of a racist sky society. Also Aiden's got a cool coat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

2house2fly posted:

The protagonist says "the only difference between Comstock (the white supremacist) and Fitzroy (the black revolutionary leader) is how you spell the name" but then the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat

The protagonist is comstock. If you create the circumstances for violent bloody revolution, then you bear responsibility for the violence and blood of that revolution.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Kitfox88 posted:

Aiden is just kind of lovely and generic whereas Booker is literally a wounded knee vet and creator of a racist sky society. Also Aiden's got a cool coathat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Kitfox88 posted:

Aiden is just kind of lovely and generic whereas Booker is literally a wounded knee vet and creator of a racist sky society. Also Aiden's got a iconic cool coathat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

It's been a while, but I think that is a bit goon telephoney?

revolutionary lady is not exactly sympathetic, but that's what happens in revolutions. Your society has become so poo poo that extremely violent people are a viable alternative to the stuff quo. And there wouldn't need to be a revolution if not for the racism, (which you get killed for).

I mean it could be I'm remembering it wrong and the protag states the 14 words while staring at the screen and nodding, but I got the strong impression that the game is about the historical roots of American racism and exceptionalism in a very text way, and it's a bit eye rolly to say Levine thinks racism is just like not-racism because if so why bother making a game about it?

Because Bioshock Infinite's plot was kind of a mess all things considered? I know it probably wasn't intended to come off as a "Both sides are equally bad" way, but either from the plot being scrapped and patched back together so much, that you end up with a mishmash plot that relies on "alternate dimensions" to cover any areas they couldn't cleanly patch together, or Levine just ended up writing a plot where he tried to take a centrist position ("What if not racism... AND not violent revolution?") that kind of forgot that the people that were being overthrown had been depicted as being fully deserving of the revolution putting them against the wall.

Or to put it another way: Apparently Levine thinks he hosed up the portrayal of the revolutionist leader so much that Burial At Sea retcons her to just acting like a psychopath so Elizabeth will kill her and explicitly states she didn't want to kill the child.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

Aiden is just kind of lovely and generic whereas Booker is literally a wounded knee vet and creator of a racist sky society. Also Aiden's got a cool coat.

Aiden's big problem is he's clearly the victim of at least one, maybe two, big rewrites that're so clumsily executed you can still see the white-out on the pages of the design doc.

He's clearly meant to be a distant father dealing with his daughter's death badly, rather than Uncle Prepper Batman looking in on his sister and feeling guilt about his niece's death. The other is what I swear is hard swap from "The unidentified vigilante" to "~The Fox~", that doesn't even get named until Aiden gets outed as being "~The Fox~"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well yeah, obviously they weren't actually trying to say that being racist is as bad as not being racist. The problem is that they screwed up the delivery of the actual themes so bad that it really seems like they might be saying that. I actually remember playing the game and I can assure you that the heel turn of Fitzroy is sudden, jarring, and stupid. There is no (discernible) underlying theme throughout the game of oppression leading people to sacrifice their morals. The Vox Populi are the good guys who fight the racists, and then Fitzroy comes out of the shadows holding a pair of scissors to a child's throat, and then the Vox Populi are bad guys to shoot at. If I remember correctly they literally have you travel to a different timeline at some point to justify the drastic and otherwise inexplicable shift in how the Vox Populi are portrayed between the start and end of the game. I have to assume this was the result of script rewrites.

I actually like Bioshock Infinite a lot better than most people on these forums, or so it seems, but there really is not much of an argument to be made that people are being too hard on the story. It really is that bad.

How about a little thing I like in a game? How about Bioshock Infinite? The mechanics and visuals of Elizabeth's tears are extremely cool to me. I really wish the game did more with giving the stuff Elizabeth pulls out of tears attributes that show they are clearly from a different timeline. For example, there are enemies in the game called Mechanized Patriots which are statues of founding fathers holding miniguns that can walk around and shoot you. Every so often you get the chance to pull a friendly one from a tear. When you do, if you look very closely, you can see that the flags they have hanging off them are regular American flags rather than the flag of Columbia.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man I noticed that about the flags on a livestream around the time the game came out, and it was such a fantastic tiny detail that I paused and spent twenty minutes with my chat just talking about how cool it is that they implied with one enemy that there's a bizarro-Columbia where the ENTIRE UNITED STATES seceded and the floating city is the last bastion of hope and progressiveness instead. THEN we went on to considering that even this other Columbia would still be a poisoned well by being of-its-time and just as backward thinking and it was a wonderful garden path to go down overall. I agree that it should have been stuffed completely to the gills with those little garden paths to spot and think about.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I loved the final scene, it was extremely beautiful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sebmojo posted:

I loved the final scene, it was extremely beautiful.

Planting one of the unused beta Elizabeths from the very trailers that started this discussion into that moment was a really great touch. They nailed the atmosphere even if I personally don't like how the plot went, imo.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It was rad as hell when you sabotage the airship and then ride out as it crashes and guys on the ground chant your name.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Pretty much 90% of the approach to revolution and rebellion in video games, hell most media, is basically the same as bullying in schools:

"Well Billy may have shouted racial slurs and stolen little Barry's lunch, but Barry did punch him in response so both parties share some blame in this and need to work through their issues"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I loved Bioshock Infinite, I think it's biggest flaw is that the stuff with the Vox Populi doesn't really make much sense without the overall greater context of the ending, but happens like halfway through the game. Still, the gunplay was fun, the graphics were great for the time, and not nearly enough games go the route of making the protagonist completely and utterly irredeemable, even in the context of magical alternate dimensions and superscience. Plus, Elizabeth is a really fun character - she's written pretty terribly for most of the game but then at the end when she's given any real agency at all, she immediately erases you from existence as hard as she possibly can.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nothing about the vox populi makes sense regardless of context

the fact that they're given less nuance than the turbo-imperalist faction says a lot about where levine's "truth is in the middle" nonsense actually falls

Ariong posted:

Well yeah, obviously they weren't actually trying to say that being racist is as bad as not being racist. The problem is that they screwed up the delivery of the actual themes so bad that it really seems like they might be saying that. I actually remember playing the game and I can assure you that the heel turn of Fitzroy is sudden, jarring, and stupid. There is no (discernible) underlying theme throughout the game of oppression leading people to sacrifice their morals. The Vox Populi are the good guys who fight the racists, and then Fitzroy comes out of the shadows holding a pair of scissors to a child's throat, and then the Vox Populi are bad guys to shoot at. If I remember correctly they literally have you travel to a different timeline at some point to justify the drastic and otherwise inexplicable shift in how the Vox Populi are portrayed between the start and end of the game. I have to assume this was the result of script rewrites.

it's dumber than that. the vox are friendlies after the dimension hop where they win, and then fitzroy gets on the intercom and ominously says that booker "complicates the narrative," at which point every single vox instantly and permanently becomes hostile. in levine's story, the racist oppressors are given some nuance and depth, right down to a few that briefly try to shelter booker before the cops kick in their door. the communist-coded oppressed class are hooting, slavering orcs

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Sep 1, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oxxidation posted:

nothing about the vox populi makes sense regardless of context

the fact that they're given less nuance than the turbo-imperalist faction says a lot about where levine's "truth is in the middle" nonsense actually falls

It's that booker/comstock has already screwed everything up WAY too badly and trying to fix it closer to the present doesn't undo or prevent further bloodshed and tragedy

It's....like a huge part of what leads to the ending. But then there's a bunch of game left between it and the actual ending, like those trumpet guys and a ghost (? pretty sure, i played it over a decade ago)

It worked for me, because I binged through it one weekend when I was traveling every week for work, but as it's presented it's totally understandable to miss some of the connections when played "normally".

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rockman Reserve posted:

then at the end when she's given any real agency at all, she immediately erases you from existence as hard as she possibly can.

Herself as well, since she's Bookers daughter. There was a good game somewhere in Bioshock Infinite that Ken Levine did his level best to destroy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rockman Reserve posted:

I loved Bioshock Infinite, I think it's biggest flaw is that the stuff with the Vox Populi doesn't really make much sense without the overall greater context of the ending, but happens like halfway through the game. Still, the gunplay was fun, the graphics were great for the time, and not nearly enough games go the route of making the protagonist completely and utterly irredeemable, even in the context of magical alternate dimensions and superscience. Plus, Elizabeth is a really fun character - she's written pretty terribly for most of the game but then at the end when she's given any real agency at all, she immediately erases you from existence as hard as she possibly can.

yeah lmao fucken owned booker you dumb putz

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

It was Comstock's, and by extension Booker's, dead wife

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I gotta do a Bioshock replay, the trilogy was free on epic a while back so I've got em when I want em

I was ok with Infinite mostly when I played it, but it won me over with the epilogue scene where some version of Booker is out there with some version of Elizabeth and maybe those ones will be ok. Kind of Dark Tower-ish

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ty for binfinite chat goonfriends, it's annoyed me for a bit but even though i don't think it's 'both sides are wrong' i can see now how sloppy storytelling makes it look that way.

my favourite little thing in games is seeing the dwarf fortress nerds blissfully happy big dumb faces, there are men who are unironically living the dream. also the soundtrack for the new steam version slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXQKqGhfIY

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I enjoyed bioshock 1 and what i played of 2

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
vox solaris > vox populi

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

moonmazed posted:

vox solaris > vox populi

Well,. obviously. I mean, have you seen the DIMENSIONS of the sun?!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ariong posted:

If I remember correctly they literally have you travel to a different timeline at some point to justify the drastic and otherwise inexplicable shift in how the Vox Populi are portrayed between the start and end of the game. I have to assume this was the result of script rewrites.

It doesn't magically fix everything, but it is extremely telling that the version of the Vox Populi that are bloodthirsty monsters are from a dimension where Booker ended up as Daisy's right hand man before being bumped off/martyred. Once again confirming that regardless of which choices he makes, Booker is just the biggest piece of poo poo and only knows violence.

Something that the game manages to pull off even despite the hodge-podge nature of the script is that Booker's journey through Columbia is purgatorial. Every problem that arises is directly born from one of his prior sins and subsequently interrogated. It's not even all that subtle but it's at least a coherent throughline that helps justify some of the game's excesses (ghost mom).

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 07:45 on Sep 1, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Booker DeWitt and Simon Jarrett of SOMA should form a club of games where a much more competent female protagonist has no choice but to be attached to your hip and it actively drags down her competency. I'm sorry Simon was written to be a huge idiot Catherine, they did it on purpose and it's really clever and I will always be sad Some Dickhead is the guy who has the job of preserving humankind. :(

I think Simon might be my favorite Intentionally Dense protagonist. You get to see the exact moment at which he is accidentally misled and where his naivete toward the far-out concepts presented to him takes over. Speaking about his opinion of the 'coin toss' moment, for those that have played. The scan that was saved of Simon had a relatively fresh brain bleed injury, but even if you don't allow some forgiveness in his retention of information based on that, consider what it's like to have a concept like body-jumping actually explained to you. He's told early on not to think too hard about the nature of his existence or face overloading by Catherine, who also faces that threat, and so he trusts her from then on to elaborate on all the stuff that involves his body. If the tutor isn't very good (Catherine), and you aren't a very good learner (Simon), nobody's gonna retain anything, which results in the 'coin toss' mentality. It's brilliant because it's very human. She just didn't get it across very well and a more intelligent person would have understood what she meant, and it very nearly screws them in the end.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Sep 1, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only saw an LP of SOMA but I loved the moment at the end where Catherine gets so frustrated with Simon that she has a cyber-aneurysm and short circuits

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I always loved that Simon still has human hands after you emerge from the brain scan, but before you're forced to confront the reality of PATHOS facility. Fun fact, you can turn on your flashlight in SOMA before the game lets you know that you have one. if you do so, Simon has a line where he is confused and can't even understand where it's projecting from (because it's coming out of his chrome dome robot face). That line is so utterly trippy because I think it's the first time I've seen a protagonist say outwardly, "what in the gently caress? I do not get this at all. Man, I'm just not gonna think about it." Sebastian Castellanos of The Evil Within another contender for that trophy, it actively helps him survive!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Sep 1, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

I always loved that Simon still has human hands after you emerge from the brain scan, but before you're forced to confront the reality of PATHOS facility. Fun fact, you can turn on your flashlight in SOMA before the game lets you know that you have one. if you do so, Simon has a line where he is confused and can't even understand where it's projecting from (because it's coming out of his chrome dome robot face).

Maybe it's like JC Denton where he opens his mouth to let the light out

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CJacobs posted:

Booker DeWitt and Simon Jarrett of SOMA should form a club of games where a much more competent female protagonist has no choice but to be attached to your hip and it actively drags down her competency. I'm sorry Simon was written to be a huge idiot Catherine, they did it on purpose and it's really clever and I will always be sad Some Dickhead is the guy who has the job of preserving humankind. :(

I think Simon might be my favorite Intentionally Dense protagonist. You get to see the exact moment at which he is accidentally misled and where his naivete toward the far-out concepts presented to him takes over. Speaking about his opinion of the 'coin toss' moment, for those that have played. The scan that was saved of Simon had a relatively fresh brain bleed injury, but even if you don't allow some forgiveness in his retention of information based on that, consider what it's like to have a concept like body-jumping actually explained to you. He's told early on not to think too hard about the nature of his existence or face overloading by Catherine, who also faces that threat, and so he trusts her from then on to elaborate on all the stuff that involves his body. If the tutor isn't very good (Catherine), and you aren't a very good learner (Simon), nobody's gonna retain anything, which results in the 'coin toss' mentality. It's brilliant because it's very human. She just didn't get it across very well and a more intelligent person would have understood what she meant, and it very nearly screws them in the end.

I haven’t played the game and I’ve only read the synopsis, but here’s a question regarding the coin toss
Is the point that there really isn’t one? If I make a duplicate of my body and brain, there’s a zero chance that my present consciousness will somehow transfer to the new body. There will be another me running around with my memories but they’ll have their own consciousness. The me that was around when the duplicate was made will still be sitting in the body that created the duplicate. My understanding is that the protagonist gets upset about “losing the coin flip” in the ending but that was the only possible outcome

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kit Walker posted:

I haven’t played the game and I’ve only read the synopsis, but here’s a question regarding the coin toss
Is the point that there really isn’t one? If I make a duplicate of my body and brain, there’s a zero chance that my present consciousness will somehow transfer to the new body. There will be another me running around with my memories but they’ll have their own consciousness. The me that was around when the duplicate was made will still be sitting in the body that created the duplicate. My understanding is that the protagonist gets upset about “losing the coin flip” in the ending but that was the only possible outcome

To explain the moment in full:

You're correct in your assessment, and Simon is objectively wrong (on purpose from a writer's perspective). Simon has to jump bodies to proceed deeper into the ocean, and when he does so his consciousness is copied as a new brain scan into the dormant chip, which then activates, temporarily creating two Simon's. He's never been in this situation before because if you recall back to the start of the game, his very first scan ALSO was instantaneous and done while he was awake. From his perspective, he has always won this "coin toss" that he reconciled to explain to himself how he is always 'continuing' the mission deeper and deeper into the ocean in new bodies.

That's part of the dread that builds in the game's final... I dunno, several hours after he makes that connection mentally, even. You're meant to grasp that he's wrong in the moment, as you can choose to personally deactivate the old body which is still mumbling about the scan. Simon doesn't understand the sacrifice that he's going to need to make- the one WE are playing as is not going to be present on the ARK, but because he's just not a scientist, he will never understand the concept. It's really tragic and part of why I like his portrayal so much!

SOMA is definitely worth a watch from a quality source if you don't enjoy playing horror games, and absolutely worth a playthrough if you are a fan.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:22 on Sep 1, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Such an rear end in a top hat that his daughter goes out of her way to kill him in every timeline in fact :v:

Edit: oh whoops, thread moved on

Weird Pumpkin has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Sep 1, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The thing about the "coin toss" is that it's an entirely out-of-context device. We, the audience, can only experience one perspective at a time, so when the first-person main character is duplicated the game has to choose which one we're bound to for the rest of the story. We're the ones making the coin toss and winning or losing it. The first two times he gets duplicated, we "win" by following the one with the longer and more engrossing life; at the end of the game we "lose" by following the one still stuck on the bottom of the ocean.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

CJacobs posted:

To explain the moment in full:

You're correct in your assessment, and Simon is objectively wrong (on purpose from a writer's perspective). Simon has to jump bodies to proceed deeper into the ocean, and when he does so his consciousness is copied as a new brain scan into the dormant chip, which then activates, temporarily creating two Simon's. He's never been in this situation before because if you recall back to the start of the game, his very first scan ALSO was instantaneous and done while he was awake. From his perspective, he has always won this "coin toss" that he reconciled to explain to himself how he is always 'continuing' the mission deeper and deeper into the ocean in new bodies.

That's part of the dread that builds in the game's final... I dunno, several hours after he makes that connection mentally, even. You're meant to grasp that he's wrong in the moment, as you can choose to personally deactivate the old body which is still mumbling about the scan. Simon doesn't understand the sacrifice that he's going to need to make- the one WE are playing as is not going to be present on the ARK, but because he's just not a scientist, he will never understand the concept. It's really tragic and part of why I like his portrayal so much!

SOMA is definitely worth a watch from a quality source if you don't enjoy playing horror games, and absolutely worth a playthrough if you are a fan.
Except the one we’re playing at the time is going to be present on the Ark. From the point of view of that Simon, he has an unbroken line of consciousness going back to original Simon, didn’t make any sacrifice and was completely correct to think that he could just get in the Ark at the end.

Man, I love SOMA. Existential horror that really sticks with you.

Inferior has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Only thing I would change about Soma's ending is to have us actually start with the 'good' arc ending, and then smash cut to the bad ending undersea freak-out. It would have had a different and in my opinion better impact.