Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jean jacket is a piece of sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I haven’t even finished the movie. Haven’t read the thread but has someone else brought up the idea that the alien ship could represent slave ships? People abducted in en masse. Sold by a “model minority.” Stuffed together vomiting in proximity. I dunno. Got that vibe.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When OJ pulls the flag ripcord, Jean Jacket tries to pull up and it’s shell starts to ripple like a sheet, I immediately thought of the leader’s ufo from the Simpsons

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
In addition to the slave ship analogy, I really feel like this was a Jordan peele western. The man with no name (beside his fathers). An excess of competence but a reluctance to confront the plot of the film others push him to. An film where the wild other is confronted and drat near swallows him up. No real romance, just obligation.

It’s meaningful in a genre where the phrase “they shoot horses don’t they?” Has such a deep acceptance and in this movie of horse danger not a single horse is killed by a human.

Right toward the beginning you have the film director click at OJ like a horse. The metaphor is thick. I dunno. I don’t want to immediately interpret race from all of peeles films but this one seems SUPER obvious. The alien ship and people shoved together vomiting on one another? Come on.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

CelticPredator posted:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I felt like race was informing the movie pretty widely already, the slave-ship metaphor seems a little questionable. Especially since the people JJ eats seem to be mostly middle-class whites plus Jupe himself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I had a racial interpretation of the movie at first but it was different. Maybe because the Emmett Till trailer played right beforehand

I imagined it represented white supremacy (basic, I know) since back in the day blacks were supposed to look down and not make eye contact with whites.

The interpretation of the flying eye in the sky as fame/hollywood/audiences is stronger, but I think the racial interpretation is still compatible with it, maybe as an additional layer of meaning

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah there's an interview with Peele where he pretty much says "yeah race informs all my movies but this one was chiefly about the danger of spectacle"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah it's there but definitely not at the forefront. Themes like exploitation and desperation and ruin all tie in to that, but I don't think it's directly like the exploitation of black bodies the way Get Out is about that.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I think it's about race in that it makes some comparisons to the way minorites and animals are treated and exploited by Hollywood, but is ultimately focused on the latter. It's definitely a film where I walked out thinking "I would love to read an entire dissertation on this movie's themes".

radlum
May 13, 2013
Was the petting zoo pig in the roof instead of taken along with the rest of the people because of the commonly held idea that pigs can’t look up?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd just assumed it was in the periphery of a suck up and got kind of cast aside, that happens to the protagonists more than once.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

radlum posted:

Was the petting zoo pig in the roof instead of taken along with the rest of the people because of the commonly held idea that pigs can’t look up?

it was on the sheriff building

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Watching this now for the second time and I noticed the music they play in the studio at the start is Jodie Foster's ""La vie v'est chouette," from a movie she played in as a child actress.

e: also I think this is mixed for stereo, no problem hearing the dialogue.
e2: and it's such a good mix too

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 31, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

F4rt5 posted:

Watching this now for the second time and I noticed the music they play in the studio at the start is Jodie Foster's ""La vie v'est chouette," from a movie she played in as a child actress.

e: also I think this is mixed for stereo, no problem hearing the dialogue.
e2: and it's such a good mix too

Her feature film debut and a movie where she was almost mauled by a lion, "Napoleon And Samantha". She apparently developed a phobia of cats from the experience.

Layers, man.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'd just assumed it was in the periphery of a suck up and got kind of cast aside, that happens to the protagonists more than once.

That’s the running joke on social media and I’m going with it

CelticPredator posted:

it was on the sheriff building

This too

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Through the lens of race, I look at the symbolism in this movie (while keeping in mind that my ability to suss out deeper meaning in movies is amature at best) and I feel like it's almost too obvious, (Jupe calling JJ "the Viewers, etc.) I consider that maybe it's intentional to specifically get people like me to think I understand that it's about the movie industry. If I were a craven Hollywood critic I might think I'm very smart and good. "The black man on a horse is the one who wins the day against a big oppressive eyeball/camera/Hollywood!" I would say. "The inanimate balloon is threatening the industry and pointing a finger straight at them!" But then, maybe the balloon is just a balloon and Jordan Peele and black people in the industry have nothing to do with it because they're not balloons full of hot air. They're not a nameless black jockeys on a horse (not that the black jockey is a prop or not a real person, but to the majority of people watching this movie he's a symbol first and a human second.) They're not territorial aliens. They're not characters brought back to live through fictional names and being the fictional ancestors of other fictional characters. They're living people with names and lives. Peele is treated as a commodity by White People Hollywood because he can make a film that they can say they "get." He's not a symbol first and a human being second, and neither are any other black people, but White People Hollywood treats Peele's movies and black actors in general as symbols. They went from second class citizens who were ignored at best to nebulous beings which essentially ends up in the same place because none of that fixes any real problems in the industry or elsewhere. Maybe it's just a slasher movie that people will try to unravel for their own selfishness as things stay the same.

And yet, all that is just based on symbolism in the film anyway!

So, sorry in advance. That took me way too long to type, seems mostly contradictory, and now I'm out of steam. I can't make sense of this and I could have just not posted but I guess I just had to. If anyone cares to read or respond to my ramblings please take this all as charitably as possible for I am a simpleton :(

e: well gently caress. I meant to preview this before I posted it, but I hosed up so I might as well let it ride :horse:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 31, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

hey man never be embarrassed to share your reading. everyone is different and poo poo

I really, really liked Nope. Kaluuya's acting was on point. Keke Palmer's character was supposed to be grating initially, and her boil became a simmer when poo poo started to hit the fan and the siblings spent more time together.

The supporting cast were all capable and watching the film it seems like Peele got exactly what he wanted out of each of them.

It is a very coherent movie, and I feel like directors who take the effort to refer to experts in specific fields benefit from the genuine curiosity their input piques. The speculation about Jean Jacket is more than I've seen for anything in a very long while.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is a sort of pointless aside but this thread is probably the best place I can ask this: what, uh, what happened to Jordan Peele's friend that did comedy with him? Their skits were always brilliant but now Jordan Peele is doing this and I never hear about the other guy (Keenan?). Was is sort of revealed that Jordan did most of the writing, and Keenan was "merely" a talented comedic actor? Did his career suffer unfair from the inevitable comparisons once Peele's movies took off? Are they still friends? You'd think there could be a cameo or something.

Edit: Google suggests they're still friends?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Keegan-Michael Key is in like 50 movies a year. It seems like he sticks mainly to comedies though. But I can guarantee you that if a small little indie comedy came out in the past couple of years he at least has a cameo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

forest spirit posted:

The supporting cast were all capable and watching the film it seems like Peele got exactly what he wanted out of each of them.

What's crazy is that he got something completely different to what he initially wanted out of Brandon Perea. Angel was originally written as more comedic and offbeat, Perea auditioned him as acting like every person that's ever worked a lovely retail job and it made Peele laugh so hard he changed the character and some of the events that happened to him in the film.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Jordan Peele wrote an animated movie for Netflix called Wendell & Wild, and he and Key are the titular characters in it

Coming sept 11

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is a sort of pointless aside but this thread is probably the best place I can ask this: what, uh, what happened to Jordan Peele's friend that did comedy with him? Their skits were always brilliant but now Jordan Peele is doing this and I never hear about the other guy (Keenan?). Was is sort of revealed that Jordan did most of the writing, and Keenan was "merely" a talented comedic actor? Did his career suffer unfair from the inevitable comparisons once Peele's movies took off? Are they still friends? You'd think there could be a cameo or something.

Edit: Google suggests they're still friends?

My understanding from having watched interviews is that K&P wrote together, although it was pretty clear whose sketches were whose (Key preferred the relatable, slice-of-life stuff, Peele did the out-there, existentially weird stuff). When the show ended, their friendship was solid enough that they each just continued doing their preferred thing, this time without the other person. Occasionally they'll collaborate or appear in something together, but Key wants to be funny, and Peele wants to be thought-provoking.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What's crazy is that he got something completely different to what he initially wanted out of Brandon Perea. Angel was originally written as more comedic and offbeat, Perea auditioned him as acting like every person that's ever worked a lovely retail job and it made Peele laugh so hard he changed the character and some of the events that happened to him in the film.

My understanding of Peele's process is that he has a lot of very specific ideas but he also wants to workshop everything so there's a lot changing during the production cycle. He didn't want Jupe's Nudy suit to have a big UFO on the back either, but the costume designer had one made up and seeing Steven Yuen in it changed his mind. I think that's a good kind of director to work with, neither the "I don't know, just do some stuff and figure it out" or the "no, you need to do 30 more takes to get the inflection perfect" style, somewhere in the middle where he knows he's hiring professionals and wants their input on the thing they're supposed to be an expert on.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding of Peele's process is that he has a lot of very specific ideas but he also wants to workshop everything so there's a lot changing during the production cycle. He didn't want Jupe's Nudy suit to have a big UFO on the back either, but the costume designer had one made up and seeing Steven Yuen in it changed his mind. I think that's a good kind of director to work with, neither the "I don't know, just do some stuff and figure it out" or the "no, you need to do 30 more takes to get the inflection perfect" style, somewhere in the middle where he knows he's hiring professionals and wants their input on the thing they're supposed to be an expert on.

This movie cemented my opinion that in many ways Peele is the Millennial (or Gen X? He's on the cusp) David Lynch. The way he lets his ideas develop organically and intuitively, the way he paints emotional atmospheres with elements of Americana iconography, the mastery they both have over depicting the everyday horror of being stuck in an uncomfortable conversation. They both have a way of framing seemingly mundane objects in a fresh way that imbues them with surreal and threatening power. The way they both thread the needle in getting the perfect harmony between surreal humor and existential terror, without losing any narrative potency in the process, and so on.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Simplex posted:

Keegan-Michael Key is in like 50 movies a year. It seems like he sticks mainly to comedies though. But I can guarantee you that if a small little indie comedy came out in the past couple of years he at least has a cameo.

I mean that makes sense, but then he goes and casts Heidecker for Us

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Saw a video on Twitter, having trouble finding it, of the beginning of the Star Lasso Experience that showed everyone looking to the sky, followed by a cut to a cell phone video of the wind blowing a small, portable beach pavilion around some beach goers’ heads.

Except the audio they played for this silly video was from the vore sequence, with the close-up woman sobbing and the horrible rubber creaking noise. Oh god, the creaking. :gonk:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 1, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Key hasn't reached the heights of Peele but he's doing just fine, and I haven't gotten any sign that there's any animosity so much as they just recognized that creative partnership was out of juice. Peele has said a few times he's kind of done with front-of-camera work, once time he said it was because he was offered the role of Poop in The Emoji Movie but I think he was at least half joking.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Key and Peele are both cool and good.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Holy poo poo, this movie was just excellent.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

Key hasn't reached the heights of Peele but he's doing just fine
Considering that Peele is one of the greatest directors of our time, it is a pretty high bar. Schmigadoon was really good though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fyadophobic posted:

This movie cemented my opinion that in many ways Peele is the Millennial (or Gen X? He's on the cusp) David Lynch. The way he lets his ideas develop organically and intuitively, the way he paints emotional atmospheres with elements of Americana iconography, the mastery they both have over depicting the everyday horror of being stuck in an uncomfortable conversation. They both have a way of framing seemingly mundane objects in a fresh way that imbues them with surreal and threatening power. The way they both thread the needle in getting the perfect harmony between surreal humor and existential terror, without losing any narrative potency in the process, and so on.
Hilarious! I was reading the post you responded to and had a similar idea. How did Peele's spin with the Twilight Zone work out?

And has he been informed about Transcendental Meditation

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Nessus posted:

Hilarious! I was reading the post you responded to and had a similar idea. How did Peele's spin with the Twilight Zone work out?

And has he been informed about Transcendental Meditation

Peele's Twilight Zone was... tough...

There are certainly moments where you can see his involvement as an Executive Producer. The show was visually gorgeous, and the first season even had an option to watch all the episodes in black and white, where they ALSO looked gorgeous.

The real problem was that there were just universally weak scripts. In the first season each episode tried to do the classic Rod Serling thing of having a moral point, and people hated it. There was plenty of earnest commentary about things like race, class, and the human condition, and viewers very much did not like that. Plenty of commenters on drat near every message board were complaining about how 'woke' it was, and how they loved the original but hated this one's preaching. Of course, it wasn't any preachier or more 'woke' than the original (which was progressive as gently caress). But the perception in 2019 was that it was trying too hard, and when combined with mediocre scripts and too heavy of a hand, season one didn't light the world on fire they way they wanted.

So they did a course correction for season two and abandoned most of the moral plays, and instead leaned into science fiction. And there were some fun episodes there too, but the scripts were still just mediocre, so now they were churning out forgettable sci-fi without any moral core to it.

Had Jordan Peele taken the lead on all the scripts I suspect we would have had a substantially stronger show, but what we got was instead just bleh. I'm a pretty big Twilight Zone fan -- I've seen every episode of every version multiple times -- and even now I struggle to remember what some of the current reboot episodes were about.

Bad luck. Should have been a home run, but too little Peele in the mix IMO. Instead we got a lot of scripts from The X-Files' Glen Morgan (who wrote 20% of all episodes) and most of them feel like bad X-Files eps.

Should someone want to revisit the series, these episodes were the better ones (your mileage may vary):

Replay
Blurryman
The Who of You
Meet in the Middle
Nightmare at 30,000 Feet
Try, Try
A Small Town

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Nessus posted:

How did Peele's spin with the Twilight Zone work out?

It was mediocre as heck

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Peele's Twilight Zone was... tough...

There are certainly moments where you can see his involvement as an Executive Producer. The show was visually gorgeous, and the first season even had an option to watch all the episodes in black and white, where they ALSO looked gorgeous.

The real problem was that there were just universally weak scripts. In the first season each episode tried to do the classic Rod Serling thing of having a moral point, and people hated it. There was plenty of earnest commentary about things like race, class, and the human condition, and viewers very much did not like that. Plenty of commenters on drat near every message board were complaining about how 'woke' it was, and how they loved the original but hated this one's preaching. Of course, it wasn't any preachier or more 'woke' than the original (which was progressive as gently caress). But the perception in 2019 was that it was trying too hard, and when combined with mediocre scripts and too heavy of a hand, season one didn't light the world on fire they way they wanted.

So they did a course correction for season two and abandoned most of the moral plays, and instead leaned into science fiction. And there were some fun episodes there too, but the scripts were still just mediocre, so now they were churning out forgettable sci-fi without any moral core to it.

Had Jordan Peele taken the lead on all the scripts I suspect we would have had a substantially stronger show, but what we got was instead just bleh. I'm a pretty big Twilight Zone fan -- I've seen every episode of every version multiple times -- and even now I struggle to remember what some of the current reboot episodes were about.

Bad luck. Should have been a home run, but too little Peele in the mix IMO. Instead we got a lot of scripts from The X-Files' Glen Morgan (who wrote 20% of all episodes) and most of them feel like bad X-Files eps.

Should someone want to revisit the series, these episodes were the better ones (your mileage may vary):

Replay
Blurryman
The Who of You
Meet in the Middle
Nightmare at 30,000 Feet
Try, Try
A Small Town

It was completely outdone by Black Mirror, which did pretty timely episodes about social media and technology. The problem with Twilight Zone was it still doing 1950’s storylines and morality plays

Edit: I need to clarify, morality plays weren’t the problem, BM absolutely did morality plays. The problem was that TZ was doing morality plays from the 50’s

Was Electric Dreams any good

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 1, 2022

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

About the same as TZ2019. Good production values but nothing substantive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Good directors like any other artistic and management role work with what they've got. Even Kubrick basically promoted R Lee Ermey from consultant to near co-star for Full Metal Jacket simply because he owned the role.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

even though Get Out might be the better film, I like Nope more

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

A sheet that could perhaps be made into something, a jacket maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Steve Yun posted:

Jordan Peele wrote an animated movie for Netflix called Wendell & Wild, and he and Key are the titular characters in it

Coming sept 11

Really looking forward to this.

Keegan-Michael Key is a fantastic voice actor with a lot of range, but voice acting isn't really an appreciated acting style here in America so it doesn't get brought up much.