Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

skelly you make jokes about ed being a fat gently caress every other day there's zero way he a) doesn't know what fondue is and b) wouldn't immediately jump at the chance

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (November 21-27, 1983)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Isn't getting a pawn to the other side of the board really hard and in fact a Very Good thing to do?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Stop spying on me, Jules :mad:

Mary Worth

If she wants sandwich trivia Dawn probably has picked up way more than that from her dad.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

Success!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True July 30, 1919

And He Did! August 12, 1919

Cat Tales July 15, 1925

Oaky Doaks January 6, 1937

Mopsy March 21, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out August 8, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems September 26, 1952

Those Were the Days April 26, 1962

Wee Pals September 29, 1966

Dogbert August 8, 1967

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I wonder if Jules has forgotten that Mark talks to animals all the time, and that they talk back. It's been a while since we've seen that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Daw. :3:

Old School Peanuts (Oct 7, 1953)

HE DID IT! HOLY poo poo THIS IS NOT A DRILL PEOPLE!

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 2-3, 1992)

Big Nate

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

New employee at the bar?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus. This was me in university.

I eventually just gave up studying, attended classes, took horrendous notes and somehow graduated.

Then again, a BA in journalism involves a poo poo-ton of writing & almost no exams.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I'm glad Marlys was interested in entomology

Anyways, with that bit over, in today's Blueberry: For once, there appears to have been a speech-bubble error, as opposed to me messing up the translation... in the fifth panel, the left-most bubble should be attributed to some-one else, not El Tigre or This El Tigre fellow seems stable, or Putting the plan into action...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

I really, really hope I'm not supposed to feel sorry for this absolute and utter chump. His situation is entirely of his own making, by being stupid enough to do the dumbest poo poo imaginable

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Did that woman time travel from the 20th century or something? Otherwise she lives in a society with lizard people and people with far worse injuries and clunky looking cybernetics that look a lot more scary than a guy with bandages.

Also I've wondered why Emi gets human looking cybernetics and others have to go around looking like metal monsters. It's not like she's rich.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

His Divine Shadow posted:

Did that woman time travel from the 20th century or something? Otherwise she lives in a society with lizard people and people with far worse injuries and clunky looking cybernetics that look a lot more scary than a guy with bandages.

I don't think it's supposed to be "yikes, injured guy", I think it's supposed to be "oh poo poo it's that guy who hosed the crime boss's wife, better not go near him!" (which is what he then says in the next panel)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 24, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

kidcoelacanth posted:

skelly you make jokes about ed being a fat gently caress every other day there's zero way he a) doesn't know what fondue is and b) wouldn't immediately jump at the chance
I could see him being the type to think that sharing food is disgustingly unhygienic.

Also I've wondered why Emi gets human looking cybernetics and others have to go around looking like metal monsters. It's not like she's rich.
Maybe the chunkier ones are older. Maybe they were emergency versions for severe injuries that had to be installed in a hurry and can't easily be replaced. Maybe they're designed to do more or different things - like maybe you can get a normal-looking facial reconstruction, or you can get a big, chunky, obviously-artificial one but it's got all kinds of air purifiers and whatever else in there.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Alternately, Q-rais just wanted to draw a cute cyborg girl.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

Linn might want to get herself checked out for ADHD.

(not joking)

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus. This was me in university.

I eventually just gave up studying, attended classes, took horrendous notes and somehow graduated.

I had to learn to study in university. I coasted along through elementary school and high school getting high grades just by listening to classes and doing the minimum amount of homework. Then suddenly that didn't fly at university level anymore, and I basically wasted three years getting bad grades until I finally knuckled down, learned how to study and forced myself to do the work and graduated with very high grades. It was seriously one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Some time later I was diagnosed with ADHD and a lot of things started making sense.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 1, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/31/02

Brenda Starr 5/22/49

Smokey Stover 11/20/49

Everyday Movies 7/15/35

"I ain't never been to a Fresh Air Camp yet, but my brother was and he said the cows never bit him onct."

Fresh Air Camps were a charity that took poor kids out of the city during the summer for a vacation in rural areas where they could get in touch with nature and all that. They're still in business as The Fresh Air Fund.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thank god the phantom is dead Mozz's story can end now.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

:owned:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

"I've written a song for you, O Ghost Who Walks!

The Worms Crawl In The Worms Crawl Out-"

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Linn might want to get herself checked out for ADHD.

(not joking)

I had to learn to study in university. I coasted along through elementary school and high school getting high grades just by listening to classes and doing the minimum amount of homework. Then suddenly that didn't fly at university level anymore, and I basically wasted three years getting bad grades until I finally knuckled down, learned how to study and forced myself to do the work and graduated with very high grades. It was seriously one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Some time later I was diagnosed with ADHD and a lot of things started making sense.

Interesting how many things I've been seeing in the past year that have made me think "oh hey that person's experience that led to them getting diagnosed with ADHD as an adult sounds exactly like my life." Hmm.

I remember mocking this ad on these very forums. I can't believe that was this long ago now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

As much as I love Val, I'd like him to see how this Christianity thing has worked out over the years.

I don't know, leaving food out for a wooden idol of Thor sounds a lot better than tithing money to a church to help pay for the priest's child-rape lawyers or mistresses' abortions.

readingatwork posted:

Yeah this particular aspect of PV really hasn’t aged well. It’s bad enough on it’s own terms but also obfuscates the fact that the historical version of this would have been incredibly violent.

Yeah, I don't mind Val going off to Rome to recruit missionaries or whatever, but actively smashing idols is a little too direct for me. It's not like the pagans are doing anything wrong here. Even their burning down the church in the strip below is just a response to Val's vandalism.

There was also no christianization of scandinavia going in the 400s, Val is like half a millennia early here.

I suppose Val's efforts didn't take, then!

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 18, 1953)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Okay, here's a Heart worth complaining about. There is no joke, there is no anything, it is just story setup and basically not even that. It's not even half a conversation, it's the opener of a conversation (that comes out of nowhere when I thought we were ramping up the MtG story?) Similar to Georgia Dunn's webcomic problem, this doesn't feel like a newspaper comic, it feels like Steenz basically made a Heart of the City graphic novel and is just releasing three panels at a time, rather than each individualized strip being its own thing that also works in service of the greater story.

EDIT: Reading again, I guess ordering book six on the day book five comes out is sort of a joke? But like, people do that. If you're sure there's gonna be a book six, you might do that. It's not a very good joke, I'm saying.

Curtis

Honestly if Billingsley were smarter I'd say this is a good commentary on how fragile and fake our entire economic system is, but he's not. This is just "what if there was a downside to everyone having food?"
It's like he's trying to write a djinn fable or a Twilight Zone episode where every request comes with an ironic unforeseen side effect, but his good thing was "solving world hunger", so he has to convince us that's bad somehow.
What's really getting me is that, let's say Billingsley's right and somehow the salad bowls would put all farmers and grocery stores out of business somehow. That sucks for them, they will need to get new jobs. Fortunately for them, they don't have to worry about eating, because again, they can get magic free salad like everyone else in the world.

Also does the city have its own significant agricultural economy? If this is a nationwide economic crisis, why are they being summoned to the Mayor, and not like, Congress, or the United Nations?

Billingsley retire bitch.

Vargo fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 1, 2022

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 18, 1953)

The face on that druid is incredible. "Oh nooooo who could have done this oh nooooooo"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

This is such a weird strip

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EBB posted:

Evergreen sentiment but she should really kill her boss.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Synthbuttrange posted:

"This is just one of many stories I have forseen, O Ghost Who Walks. Number 5 will blow your mind!"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Okay, here's a Heart worth complaining about. There is no joke, there is no anything, it is just story setup and basically not even that. It's not even half a conversation, it's the opener of a conversation (that comes out of nowhere when I thought we were ramping up the MtG story?) Similar to Georgia Dunn's webcomic problem, this doesn't feel like a newspaper comic, it feels like Steenz basically made a Heart of the City graphic novel and is just releasing three panels at a time, rather than each individualized strip being its own thing that also works in service of the greater story.
You're completely right, but also this particular strip does not stand out from like 95% of Heart strips in any way

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EBB posted:

Reminder that her boss is canonically effectively blackmailing her to still working with the company!
it's super hosed up!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She has a martyr complex coupled with an economic bondage fetish.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

goatface posted:

She has a martyr complex coupled with an economic bondage fetish.
Holbrook: "Financial domination", huh? I think I know what that means, I don't need to research this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Let's start with something I completely forgot about yesterday, because OOW caught up with one of my favorite bits of extracurricular listening when it comes to mulling over the old days and the times: the complete broadcast day of WJSV Washington, DC (or the zip-filed version with a lot of supporting documents). Content warning because "the usual issues" pop up in multiple places.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 10, 1934)

Peanuts (September 4, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean, in which the five people the universe revolves around talk about that whole left-out feeling.

And speaking of "being excluded from things", hey, Les? Where's your wife, buddy?

Crankshaft, in which I guess the station's just been sending out dead air all this time all this time while these goobers have been futzing around.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (April 3, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 25-27, 1939)