Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Lol what a turn this thread took. I admire the micro USB defender but jesus, micro USB sucks so much that there are entire small businesses out there who make a living by repairing micro USB ports in phones and baby monitors etc cos they're so fiddly and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I will hear arguments in favour of mini USB though, nice chunky connector.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

usb-c pd means you can have one or two chargers that work with literally everything instead of a bunch of phone, tablet and laptop chargers that all have different charging capacities but still use the same cables. it is also inherently more durable, both the port and the connector. that is both safer and much less wasteful in the long run and the sooner we get rid of microusb the sooner we can live in the glorious future where you can wail and gnash your teeth as microusb is retired to the landfill of bad ideas.

i mean why don't we use floppy disks anymore anyway, it's such a waste that all those perfectly good 1.44mb floppies ended up in the trash :(

I have sixteen different devices that all charge perfectly fine with the same microUSB cable and wall wart.

It’s fine. Charging them with microUSB won’t ruin my life or yours.

You’ll be here in six years saying that USB-C is antiquated for the purpose of pushing 3.3w of electricity into a battery and that it must be replaced by USB-F, which does the exact same thing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 1, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Lol what a turn this thread took. I admire the micro USB defender but jesus, micro USB sucks so much that there are entire small businesses out there who make a living by repairing micro USB ports in phones and baby monitors etc cos they're so fiddly and stupid.

MicroUSB is rated for 10,000 insertions. If you charge your headphones every day, that's about 27 years.

If you're trashing MicroUSB ports before those 27 years are up, it ain't because of the connector.

I have never once in my life seen a trashed USB port of any sort. Not a single one.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh come on now. This has to be a bit

Apr 7, 2003

MicroUSB is perfectly fine for charging a pair of headphones that you might plug in once every three days and getting bent out of shape that they aren't USB-C is dumb.

Same thing with a kindle, which you charge even less frequently.

A newer plug design will not fix the problems in your life.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Give up now, he will literally never stop arguing.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i don't think what he's doing is arguing, that implies some sort of back and forth, this is just screaming into the void with fingers in your ears

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Man I saw all the unread posts, came here for headphone stuff! Wish I had left them unread, I feel like we are being punked.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone here tried the Pixel Buds Pro? I've seen some conflicting reports on them and was hoping to get some goon feedback

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Unfortunately, Google massively dropped the ball and didn’t provide a Micro USB charging port.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nrook posted:

Unfortunately, Google massively dropped the ball and didn’t provide a Micro USB charging port.

In 2022?? It's like they don't even know that micro USB is perfectly adequate for getting 3.3w out of the wall and into the battery.

Fast charging any of these devices be damned.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Micro USBs are perfectly adequate for transferring themselves into the trash can.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I've had engless problems on both windows 10 and 11 getting the mic to work on my hyperx cloud 2 wired headset. I'm otherwise quite satisfied with the sound from the headphones themselves.

I am still within the return period I think so considering going to return them tomorrow and getting something else. Any recommendations of something at roughly the same level that's not too hard to find in Sweden?

NLJP fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 1, 2022

Passburger
May 4, 2013

NLJP posted:

I've had engless problems on both windows 10 and 11 getting the mic to work on my hyperx cloud 2 wired headset. I'm otherwise quite satisfied with the sound from the headphones themselves.

I am still within the return period I think so considering going to return them tomorrow and getting something else. Any recommendations of something at roughly the same level that's not too hard to find in Sweden?

What kind of problems?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've had a pair of Jaybird X4s for a few years and really like them (mostly wear them around the house or walks around the neighborhood, only ever paired with my phone) but there's a problem with the cord connecting the two earbuds and one of them sadly no longer works. Does anyone want to persuade me into getting a different type of headphone instead of just getting a new pair of X4s? Maybe convincing me to get something totally wireless so that I don't run into this issue again?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Passburger posted:

What kind of problems?

Recognises the mic is there, absolutely no input detected.

Done all the usual stuff, updated drivers both looking automatically and then manually, disabled all other audio devices in device manager other than headset and it's mic etc.

This last step is what fixed it on windows 10 but no go on 11.

Edit: I don't know if I've just been unlucky but imo windows has always been a pos when it comes to sound stuff.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 2, 2022

Passburger
May 4, 2013

NLJP posted:

Recognises the mic is there, absolutely no input detected.

Done all the usual stuff, updated drivers both looking automatically and then manually, disabled all other audio devices in device manager other than headset and it's mic etc.

This last step is what fixed it on windows 10 but no go on 11.

Edit: I don't know if I've just been unlucky but imo windows has always been a pos when it comes to sound stuff.

this might seem silly, but have you done this? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-on-app-permissions-for-your-microphone-in-windows-10-94991183-f69d-b4cf-4679-c98ca45f577a

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

How good/bad/worth it are the 598s? My gf is absolutely in love with their beige looks as they fit her room's aesthetics incredibly well and I imagine they're an obvious improvement over the porta pros but now I'm vaguely wondering how they compare to the 600/650s.

I couldn't find 598s here so I bought the 599s which after research are much more suitable, sound-wise, for her preferences.

I gave it to her, she listened to it a bit, went "wow" and t-posed for a few minutes then gave me the biggest hug I've ever seen. Sound is a huge deal to her and she had no idea things could sound this good.

I went to sleep and 7 hours later I wake up to her in the lower bed not to wake me up, still listening to stuff going "I can hear instruments I never did before" and "everything sounds close to me but not in my head, it's like they're here". She said her audiobooks became in her words "transcendental".

I'm glad because those were not cheap (2000 Brazilian Reals or 400 USD, which is... not a small sum here) but seeing her happy was worth every penny.

Mr. Mercury posted:

5dB too much energy between 80 and 300Hz, but solvable with EQ (or not being a stickler)

She'll like 'em I think, most people do

This ended up being a huge bonus for us. I'm so tired of the harman curve, when I heard them I felt the impact back again and it loving kicked so much rear end. I was considering buying a 650 for me, do they have the same kind of bass impact? Because it felt so, so good. It felt like HE-400s except easier to drive, it has about the same bass texture as the Koss PortaPros except on a much fancier cans.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 3, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do y'all leave your wireless buds on the wireless charger 24/7? I thought it would help with my hatred of having to keep everything charged but I noticed that the whole case of my Buds Pro stays pretty warm even after they're fully charged and the LED turns green. That's not ideal from wasting power but also can't be great for the battery either :(

Also does anyone know what model these are? I was watching Tokyo Vice and this was the opening shot of an episode. It's set in the 90s and I'm pretty sure I had the exact same ones as a kid back then.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty sure those are a Sony headband model, or a knockoff.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
yeah that is the Sony MDR-W14

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm nostalgic for late 90s/early noughts Japanese consumer audio stuff - especially the Sony/Sharp/Panasonic MD lineup but they probably sound like poo poo by modern standards

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

shrike82 posted:

i'm nostalgic for late 90s/early noughts Japanese consumer audio stuff - especially the Sony/Sharp/Panasonic MD lineup but they probably sound like poo poo by modern standards

Minidisc is just digital audio, so it won't sound any worse than a decently encoded modern mp3 or stream. Minidisc is much cooler than both mp3s and streaming as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looks like Minidisc was 292 kbps ATRAC so high bitrate but old codec so probably sounds fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have MD but from I've never heard normal people (I mean the type that cares about weird audio poo poo, but not cuckoo audiophiles) complain about how they sound.

trem_two posted:

yeah that is the Sony MDR-W14

Thanks! I see a couple on ebay and they do look exactly like how I remember them. Would be neat to relive that but not neat enough to deal with someone's gross used earbuds lol.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Elentor posted:

This ended up being a huge bonus for us. I'm so tired of the harman curve, when I heard them I felt the impact back again and it loving kicked so much rear end. I was considering buying a 650 for me, do they have the same kind of bass impact? Because it felt so, so good. It felt like HE-400s except easier to drive, it has about the same bass texture as the Koss PortaPros except on a much fancier cans.

It doesn’t have the same bass, no. Also harder to drive. I really like my 6XX (drop’s 650) but they don’t have those qualities. I do consider the 598->6XX an upgrade for my uses, though.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah that sucks. I'm also having a lot of trouble finding an amp for anything above 64 ohms here in Brazil, the cheapest dac costs an outrageous amount of money and just doesn't seem worth it.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao mental illness posting

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Elentor posted:

Ah that sucks. I'm also having a lot of trouble finding an amp for anything above 64 ohms here in Brazil, the cheapest dac costs an outrageous amount of money and just doesn't seem worth it.
I think it probably isn't worth it, especially if you're stretching your budget to get one.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Elentor posted:

This ended up being a huge bonus for us. I'm so tired of the harman curve...

ahh yeah I think Samsung really needs to work on the messaging for that thing because I think it's not well advertised that this target is a descriptive snapshot of listeners not a prescriptive ideal. While it does appeal to quite a lot of people, there are significant amounts of people who like less bass than the shelf Harman has

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the 2000s brushed steel aesthetic of japanese audio still lives on with smaller brands like technics - their recent bluetooth earphones/headphones are pretty neat

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

the 2000s brushed steel aesthetic of japanese audio still lives on with smaller brands like technics - their recent bluetooth earphones/headphones are pretty neat

I have their TWS EAH-AZ70W set, and while it can’t compare with Sony’s flagship in terms of app, battery life, mic, and ANC, in terms of pure sound I prefer the Technics. I basically use the Technics when it’s more convenient to use a TWS set around the house instead of wired IEMs, and I use the Sonys when I’m out of the house, or like vacuuming or something.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah i have the AZ60W which i'd argue have better sound and ANC than Sony's flagship wireless earbuds once you consider that the Sony ones achieve their best in class ANC with a tight physical seal which is less comfortable

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Mercury posted:

there are significant amounts of people who like less bass than the shelf Harman has

or more

or ironically I like bass anemic poo poo that gives me extraordinarily resolution and every harman sucks for that at their price points available to me.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 4, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Llamadeus posted:

I think it probably isn't worth it, especially if you're stretching your budget to get one.

Maybe I need to be clearer, budget would not be an issue if bought locally - I'd be fine spending 2k usd on one. However due to our lovely rear end importation taxes that add between random roll of 1.6x to 2.2x multiplier to a product, and also because the power connection not suit, importing one is an expensive gamble that will take 3 months.

I found a Hifiman EF2C which suits my needs perfecylb ut the site seems shady so theres that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Due to the yen being in the gutter lately, I picked up a Sony NW-A105 from Amazon Japan for about 200 bucks new including shipping. I'm already going to pair it with my Sennheiser PC38X while at home which I like a lot, but now I'm looking at budget IEMs for work/commute. I've been looking at the Moondrop Chu's and the Final E1000 (or if the E500 are just as good despite the 5 dollar difference).

I know the Moondrops have a larger than normal barrel which makes replacement tips a bit of a challenge apparently while the Finals are a bit more standard and apparently people buy their tips anyways for other sets. Anyone have any experience between the 2 or could recommend something something else in that price tier? Or stick with my old standbys, the Panasonic Ergofits? :shepface:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 4, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Due to the yen being in the gutter lately, I picked up a Sony NW-A105 from Amazon Japan for about 200 bucks new including shipping. I'm already going to pair it with my Sennheiser PC38X while at home which I like a lot, but now I'm looking at budget IEMs for work/commute. I've been looking at the Moondrop Chu's and the Final E1000 (or if the E500 are just as good despite the 5 dollar difference).

I know the Moondrops have a larger than normal barrel which makes replacement tips a bit of a challenge apparently while the Finals are a bit more standard and apparently people buy their tips anyways for other sets. Anyone have any experience between the 2 or could recommend something something else in that price tier? Or stick with my old standbys, the Panasonic Ergofits? :shepface:

I have no issue using various tips with my Chus, though I also love the spring tips they come with too much to ever do that. The other 2 options at $20 right now are the Tanchjim Zero, which seem pretty well liked but didn't get much attention when they came out and the 7hz/Salnotes Zero which is extremely well liked.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

njsykora posted:

I have no issue using various tips with my Chus, though I also love the spring tips they come with too much to ever do that. The other 2 options at $20 right now are the Tanchjim Zero, which seem pretty well liked but didn't get much attention when they came out and the 7hz/Salnotes Zero which is extremely well liked.

Thanks! I took a look at them. Ended up going with the Final E1000's. Did some soul searching and remembered I prefer bullet style so it was down to the Finals and the Tanchjims. Both of them were actually what I was looking for in the terms of tuning being mostly neutral. What the Final edged the Tanchjim on was bass. Noticed a trend of reviews saying bass wasn't the Tanchjim's strong suit and the Finals had just enough for some. Finally, a bit mundane, but since I intend for these to be a portable set, I preferred the right angle jack instead of straight. More pocket friendly I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
PSA: after testing a LOT of iems, amps.. I have to recommend anyone that cares about natural organic sound, get an AK based DAC. I can a/b/x test Sabre 10/10 times and tried it over the last 3 days. I cant stand Sabre dacs, even my most expensive one. My least expensive AK dac beats it sounding more realistic and nicer and more musical.

*shrug*