Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Is there a system which does not require some form of police or law enforcement?

Policing is a recent thing in the history of civilization. A society without the extreme inequality we have would not have anywhere near the crime we do in the first place.

quote:

See, "tear down capitalism" is a step needed before "abolish the police". I do have to ask, though, is there a system of government which does NOT try to maintain the status quo which that government currently exists under? All I can think of is anarchy, which may sound great to some people, right up until they're the ones which end up under the burning bus.
The status quo under capitalism benefits the bourgeoisie, hence why police are so awful. A police system meant to uphold working-class rule would not have the same level of problems - unlike policing meant to uphold the current economic and racial order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

in addition to not getting paid, this is why no lawyers will work for trump:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1565101591891480576?s=21&t=E5_48c_BYZq1NGzTE_1Lrw

it is generally considered non-ideal to have your clients confess in writing in public to elements of crimes

I mean not really. He is saying they brought cartons and spread the contents around on the floor. Not that they were in cartons while in his possession.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

They're both slogans and neither are strategies. Strategies consist of more than three words.

Defunding the police is absolutely a strategy, as is abolition. The problem is the intractable instiutional racism and brutality in American policing.

The solution is to either get rid of them, and/or defund them. That's a strategy.

Now you're looking for how we get there. Lets look at Los Angeles again!

1) Elect a reform-minded sheriff. Result: Ooops he's a fascist who literally reversed consequences for bad cops that everybody agrees were bad cops
2) Pass Measure J, mandating funding for non-carceral strategies. Result: It's basaically stalled as the city slow-rolls it in perpetuity.
3) Elect a reformist DA(Gascon). Result: Opposed at every level of government and multiple recall attempts. Police and deputies are openly in contempt.
4) $150mm reduction in police budget Result: It's back and bigger than it was

quote:

I'm not going to waste both our times by proposing steps I think would work. I don't have enough knowledge to give an informed answer. My question is why you think some kind of instant mass abolishment of the police would both be possible and would have a positive effect?

Ah, you're not actually informed on this subject, but you're happy to criticize other people.

Neat!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1565131880072085505

Sarah Palin just ate poo poo in Alaska. Dems pick up one new house seat AND Alaska sends the first Native American to Congress :woop: :woop: :woop:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Sarah Palin just ate poo poo in Alaska. Dems pick up one new house seat AND Alaska sends the first Native American to Congress :woop: :woop: :woop:

It wound up not actually being super close:

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1565130008187863040?s=20&t=OgACOCjgoiMaO5mNX2TWjw

there will be another election in november with the same three candidates, plus a libertarian. in theory, there's no reason the result should be different. in practice: if palin voters strategically switch to the more palatable republican, he probably gets elected in november - it's a quirk of IRV that he lost (the spoiler effect is not entirely eliminated in IRV and Palin basically acted as a spoiler)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

I mean not really. He is saying they brought cartons and spread the contents around on the floor. Not that they were in cartons while in his possession.

i am sure that his lawyers are going to try to coach him to repeat that like a trained parrot, when they realize that interpretation in a week or two, but it's not the logical interpretation of what he wrote. he's saying he didn't dump them on the floor like a slob, he had them all in cartons properly.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, this is partially the result of the jungle primary and two Republicans running. There's going to be a lot of pressure for Begich to drop out or for people to more strategically vote with their second choice in the ranked vote system. Peltola only got 39% of the first round vote and Palin has a better shot at the general in November (she was only down by about 3 points after the ranked choice kicked in and it is likely that Alaska's midterm electorate will be redder). If Palin goes down twice, then that will be hilarious.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 1, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
This is why Republicans are scared shitless of RCV.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

OK this is a very bizarre excerpt from that article

quote:

She will be the first Democrat to hold the seat since the late U.S. Rep. Nick Begich, who was seeking reelection in 1972 when his plane disappeared. Begich was later declared dead and Young in 1973 was elected to the seat.

Peltola ran as a coalition builder while her two Republican opponents — Palin and Begich’s grandson, also named Nick Begich — at times went after each other. Palin also railed against the ranked voting system, which was instituted by Alaska voters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

To be fair, this is partially the result of the jungle primary and two Republicans running. There's going to be a lot of pressure for Begich to drop out or for people to more strategically vote with their second choice in the ranked vote system. Peltola only got 39% of the first round vote and Palin has a better shot at the general in November (she was only down by about 3 points after the ranked choice kicked in and it is likely that Alaska's midterm electorate will be redder). If Palin goes down twice, then that will be hilarious.

the correct thing is for palin to drop out. IRV simulates what happens if Begich drops out - he got knocked out and then his voters reallocated. the end result is, representative Peltola. him dropping out before the election probably doesn't change that - certainly not definitively change that.

however, palin voters almost certainly broke nearly entirely for Begich (they're the hard-core republican voters) so if you knock palin out first, Begich almost certainly wins. but all you need is to pursuade enough palin first-balloters to rank begich first so that the final two is begich/pelota (palin gets knocked out as the third-place finisher) and begich probably wins

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

evilweasel posted:

the correct thing is for palin to drop out. IRV simulates what happens if Begich drops out - he got knocked out and then his voters reallocated. the end result is, representative Peltola. him dropping out before the election probably doesn't change that - certainly not definitively change that.

however, palin voters almost certainly broke nearly entirely for Begich (they're the hard-core republican voters) so if you knock palin out first, Begich almost certainly wins. but all you need is to pursuade enough palin first-balloters to rank begich first so that the final two is begich/pelota (palin gets knocked out as the third-place finisher) and begich probably wins

That is the likely the correct thing from the completely rational mathematics point of view. But, nobody in Alaska Republican politics is going to pressure Palin to endorse Begich who didn't already hate her. And anybody who was maybe legitimately on the fence isn't going to come out and say the Republican who got more votes should drop out and endorse the Republican who got fewer votes. Plus, a larger chunk of Palin's voters are the people who would absolutely flip poo poo about a move like that (and they wouldn't be entirely wrong). Palin just needs about 3% more of the first round votes or the second choice votes. There's a good chance she can get that in November.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That is the likely the correct thing from the completely rational mathematics point of view. But, nobody in Alaska Republican politics is going to pressure Palin to endorse Begich who didn't already hate her. And anybody who was maybe legitimately on the fence isn't going to come out and say the Republican who got more votes should drop out and endorse the Republican who got fewer votes. Plus, a larger chunk of Palin's voters are the people who would absolutely flip poo poo about a move like that (and they wouldn't be entirely wrong). Palin just needs about 3% more of the first round votes or the second choice votes. There's a good chance she can get that in November.

well you certainly weren't wrong about Palin's reaction

https://twitter.com/RebeccaPalsha/status/1565132891289681925?s=20&t=OgACOCjgoiMaO5mNX2TWjw

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

The language is different so it's not completely canned; what this likely means is a conservative entity (maybe Leandra's employer, maybe some other one, maybe, since she's a true believer who has some political operations background, herself) is offering her up to outlets as someone offering the contra position on the matter.

Yeah, I figured as much. I thought it stuck out because WaPo framed the article as though they were talking to ordinary borrowers, but it seems likely that they got her name through political/media connections while explicitly searching for a "conservative with student debt who opposes the forgiveness" take for their article.

I'm not saying it's a canned quote, I'm sure Leandra is a real person who really feels that way. I'm highlighting the fact that WaPo wanted to represent the "contra position", to the point of actively seeking out political operatives from the opposing party.

They or may not have undermined that somewhat by noting her current job, but not enough to counteract the fact that they platformed her claims and repeated them uncritically. Rather than that, it seems like backroom discord to me: perhaps a disgruntled writer having her quotes pushed on them by editorial mandate?

Discendo Vox posted:

The article is not a focus group or a survey. Like many such articles on many subjects, the point is to give a range of different opinions on a common subject by people- in this case, people with the common trait of past student debt. The goal is not to set up a debate or present both sides, or to measure the amount of support for each side- it is to provide several different people, with different, explicitly stated backgrounds, stating different positions.

Republicans, including their political operatives, actually believe most of what they say. The story is still supposed to include these people, even if their beliefs are dumb. But in shifting to complaining about "platforming", the claim has moved from being about the construction of the article (laziness/lack of resources) to being a problem with "advertising" Westbrook's position.

Maybe Republicans believe what they say, maybe they don't. But regardless, a paid political operative for one party has extremely obvious incentives to slam the other party's major new political moves and policies, especially when the next election is just over two months away. This is why I called attention to her being in multiple articles in the first place: whether or not her opinion is real, she is actively working to get it magnified by shopping it out to as many mass-media outlets as possible, and likely has assistance in that matter. If her opinion didn't line up with the party line, she wouldn't be getting that assistance, and it's unlikely that any outlets would be interested in her take anyway. They know exactly what to expect when asking a Republican fundraiser and media figure for their opinion on a Biden policy...which means that they asked her because they wanted to hear that opinion.

And providing a range of different opinions, by itself, doesn't mean much. There's tons of opinions out there! If the Washington Post wanted some really diverse opinions, they could have grabbed someone who thinks college should be mandatory, and then put them up against someone who thinks college is a liberal brainwashing program and should be abolished. Hell, why stop there? Why not ask the flat-Earthers or the lizard man conspiracy theorists what they think of college debt forgiveness? I'm sure we'd get some real diverse opinions that way!

This is the classic opinion column curse: when the paper becomes concerned with providing a range of opinions, rather than providing high-quality information or getting a sense of where people in general stand, then that's really just the paper picking and choosing which opinions they feel deserve to be platformed. Doesn't mean they necessarily agree with all of the opinions they print...but it does mean that they think those opinions are especially worth showing to the readers. To reframe it in different terms, they're engaging in setting the Overton Window. They're picking and choosing which opinions their readers should hear, and which ones they shouldn't. They'll hedge it as they like, but they're implicitly setting the boundaries of what they consider acceptable discourse.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I would honestly like to know what a practical alternative to "fix the training" looks like.
"Defund/Abolish the police" as a slogan is a pretty bad slogan because it means very different things to different people. To some people, it means something like "Immediate revolutionary overthrow of capitalist society, police replaced by ??? (or nothing)" because they view current policing as so harmful to society that no state-run organization is preferable. That's not an unreasonable opinion either, if the only thing the police ever do in your community is hassle & murder people, while being entirely useless for crime or order. It's not a particularly popular position outside of communities with that experience though, and the slogan gets interpreted by other people as "Restructure & shrink police departments and transfer responsibility/funding to other organizations"

If I were in charge of the world, I'd do something more like the second one. Current police have a bunch of not-all-that-related-to-each-other functions that are grouped into one organization for historical reasons. I think breaking them apart would reduce abuse and is something that you could implement piecemeal by municipality.

Off the top of my head, things that police currently do that should be broken apart:

- Employ violence on behalf of the state. Stuff like arresting people, responding to 911 calls for things like "Guy brandishing a knife in the street" or domestic violence. I don't think you can actually get rid of that function (I don't think there has ever been a society without it), but you can silo it off and make it as small as possible.

- Traffic control & enforcement. Somebody who spends their day writing speeding tickets or directing traffic around stalled cars doesn't need to have a gun or be trained to use force. Some cities already separate some of this from general policing where parking tickets are done by unarmed non-cops.

- Investigating and prosecuting crimes, including crimes by the state violence people. There's no real overlap between "How to Apply State Sanctioned Violence" skills and "Investigate/Prosecute Crime" skills. If they're an entirely separate organization from State Sanctioned Violence, there would also likely be less rear end covering. Internal Affairs as a department of the police that investigates the police doesn't work. You want the people investigating & prosecuting police abuse to not have ever been police themselves and not see police as their coworkers who get the benefit of the doubt

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 1, 2022

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

They're both slogans and neither are strategies. Strategies consist of more than three words.

I'm not going to waste both our times by proposing steps I think would work. I don't have enough knowledge to give an informed answer. My question is why you think some kind of instant mass abolishment of the police would both be possible and would have a positive effect?

Is there a system which does not require some form of police or law enforcement?

See, "tear down capitalism" is a step needed before "abolish the police". I do have to ask, though, is there a system of government which does NOT try to maintain the status quo which that government currently exists under? All I can think of is anarchy, which may sound great to some people, right up until they're the ones which end up under the burning bus.

I think you're onto something with "how do we get there from here".

I also think your points are a bit stuck in a certain "preserving our way of life" trap. I don't want to accuse you of not being able to imagine existence without police, or being personally dependant on that reality... but your argument seems to fall somewhere within that.

You don't have to, like ideaologically, "believe in anarchism" to know that human constructs of order and society are just things that exist because we choose to believe in and enforce them. One could argue most people don't want to fall completely into chaotic survival, I'd agree! But history shows that societies nations and systems do fail, and chaotic survival is a "truer" more powerful reality than what we've built.

There are forces domestic and foreign that would endeavor to pull down our (USA) systems, or even the worldwide orders of power and organization. There are arguments based both in morality and science that our systems should or will fail.

"Abolish the police" being a bridge too far really just brings into question whether the entire structure of our nation/world is something that should or needs to be preserved.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Would the libertarian pick up a percentage of Begich voters?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The cries of 'What about the people anarchy throws under the bus' ring pretty hollow since those are exactly the people who the police are already there to actively persecute, brutalise and murder.

If the ex-police might be dangerous, then arrest them. Use all those terrorism laws. March them straight from the stations into the prisons. Bring in the Army, they'll love doing it. They know cops were never their friends.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So given how the judge presiding over Trump’s special master request is a Federalist Society goon he appointed, is Trump likely to get one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/us/politics/trump-justice-department-special-master.html

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

So given how the judge presiding over Trump’s special master request is a Federalist Society goon he appointed, is Trump likely to get one?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/31/us/politics/trump-justice-department-special-master.html

Probably a coin flip. Trump's judges have had a weird streak of telling him to eat poo poo as often as they go "Anything for Daddy!"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

FlamingLiberal posted:

OK this is a very bizarre excerpt from that article

This is clearly one of those circumstances where someone who's killable but otherwise doesn't age has to disappear every few decades and then reappear as their own offspring or nephew or whatever to throw off suspicion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric Cantonese posted:

It’s moot at this point because the FBI finished sorting through the documents they took

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Eric Cantonese posted:

One of the problems is they'd have to find a special master that has the proper clearances to actually see the stuff Trump hid away. The request is still so badly written and with stupid logic that I don't think any judge is going to grant it but it would lead to the possibility of Special Master Barack Obama.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How are special masters chosen? The judge?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The cries of 'What about the people anarchy throws under the bus' ring pretty hollow since those are exactly the people who the police are already there to actively persecute, brutalise and murder.

If the ex-police might be dangerous, then arrest them. Use all those terrorism laws. March them straight from the stations into the prisons. Bring in the Army, they'll love doing it. They know cops were never their friends.
Who's going to arrest them? You've abolished the police. Also why do you still have prisons if you've abolished police? And police are made up disproportionately of veterans (19-25%), who get special consideration for the job. In fact it is the third most popular profession for veterans. A lot of National Guardsmen are also police officers.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

One of the problems is they'd have to find a special master that has the proper clearances to actually see the stuff Trump hid away. The request is still so badly written and with stupid logic that I don't think any judge is going to grant it but it would lead to the possibility of Special Master Barack Obama.

Oh my God, that would be amazing!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That SC lawmaker that made the news last week for regretting his abortion stance was lying, to the surprise of no one. it all lies all the way down.

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1565055298234380289

I really don't think they realize how much of a third rail they're touching here, given the results of the special elections that have already happened the last few months their voter suppression/gerrymandering plans are going to be seriously put to the test this fall.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
One awesome thing that happened in 2018 was the Library of Congress gaining the mandate to publish Congressional Research Service work product online, for free.

For those unfamiliar, CRS is "nonpartisan shared staff to Congressional committees and members" -- in essence, a publicly funded thinktank. If this sounds dreadfully boring and irrelevant to you, then you understand why only absolute nerds like me got excited over this. With that said, it has tremendous potential as a resource to level the electoral playing field against incumbents (by allowing more challengers to engage in constituent service) and I really wish current progressive members would better serve that end by "commissioning" reports that can serve as a guide for campaigns who may not yet have the sort of dedicated, experienced policy staff that many incumbents do.

An example of what is out there, here is the recently completed Metaverse 101 For Boomers:
https://mobile.twitter.com/joejerome/status/1565088144088760320

Also, shoutout to this absolute legend mentioned in the comments of the Library of Congress' announcement of the website linked above:

quote:

This is wise of Congress and the LOC. I vividly recall, 40+ years ago working in a congressional office in which the legislative assistant commissioned a long paper from the (then) LRS, which he then submitted as his masters thesis at either GW or AU, then spun into fancier government jobs. I was appalled but too young to speak up. Perhaps abuses like that will now end.

That young legislative assistant's name? Albert Einstein.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bellmaker posted:

That SC lawmaker that made the news last week for regretting his abortion stance was lying, to the surprise of no one. it all lies all the way down.

https://twitter.com/LEBassett/status/1565055298234380289

I really don't think they realize how much of a third rail they're touching here, given the results of the special elections that have already happened the last few months their voter suppression/gerrymandering plans are going to be seriously put to the test this fall.

Or they don't see that as an actual risk. They've spent years building more than just those methods of seizing power. Further, if they don't win with the quiet, easy options outright violence is no longer off the table.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

bird food bathtub posted:

Or they don't see that as an actual risk. They've spent years building more than just those methods of seizing power. Further, if they don't win with the quiet, easy options outright violence is no longer off the table.

True. I think the fundamental GOP strategy of giving their base what they clamor for has by and large been successful, even if they're somewhat dealing with the intrusion and rise of the crazy people actually winning office and taking center stage. It's not half the country (yet) that are irredeemable monstrous assholes but it's a rock solid, unmovable, dug in 30% or 35% at a minimum and a large portion of the voters they've run off is somewhat offset by the gerrymandering and voting restrictions.

To elaborate, take something like CPAC, which represents the far right extreme of the GOP base. It might be somewhat fringe but it's also troublingly mainstream and there's really no left wing equivalent that I can think of. Nor the Mike Lindell poo poo, Newsmax, Qanon, etc. It's a considerable amount of people when you think about it - or at least more than I'm comfortable looking at since all of them should be laughed out of the room - and doing mean things for a voting bloc of mean people who's only goal is to keep being more mean has some advantages for the Republicn party I think.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This seems like the first "official" confirmation that remote learning has been a disaster for many kids. The declines were among just about every race, ethnic, geographic, and income demographic, but was worse among low income students and already low performing students.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1565281771603873792

quote:

The Pandemic Erased Two Decades of Progress in Math and Reading

The results of a national test showed just how devastating the last two years have been for 9-year-old schoolchildren, especially the most vulnerable.

National test results released on Thursday showed in stark terms the pandemic’s devastating effects on American schoolchildren, with the performance of 9-year-olds in math and reading dropping to the levels from two decades ago.

This year, for the first time since the National Assessment of Educational Progress tests began tracking student achievement in the 1970s, 9-year-olds lost ground in math, and scores in reading fell by the largest margin in more than 30 years.

The declines spanned almost all races and income levels and were markedly worse for the lowest-performing students. While top performers in the 90th percentile showed a modest drop — three points in math — students in the bottom 10th percentile dropped by 12 points in math, four times the impact.

“I was taken aback by the scope and the magnitude of the decline,” said Peggy G. Carr, commissioner of the National Center for Education Statistics, the federal agency that administered the exam earlier this year. The tests were given to a national sample of 14,800 9-year-olds and were compared with the results of tests taken by the same age group in early 2020, just before the pandemic took hold in the United States.

High and low performers had been diverging even before the pandemic, but now, “the students at the bottom are dropping faster,” Dr. Carr said.

In math, Black students lost 13 points, compared with five points among white students, widening the gap between the two groups. Research has documented the profound effect school closures had on low-income students and on Black and Hispanic students, in part because their schools were more likely to continue remote learning for longer periods of time.

The declines in test scores mean that while many 9-year-olds can demonstrate partial understanding of what they are reading, fewer can infer a character’s feelings from what they have read. In math, students may know simple arithmetic facts, but fewer can add fractions with common denominators.

The setbacks could have powerful consequences for a generation of children who must move beyond basics in elementary school to thrive later on.

“Student test scores, even starting in first, second and third grade, are really quite predictive of their success later in school, and their educational trajectories overall,” said Susanna Loeb, the director of the Annenberg Institute at Brown University, which focuses on education inequality.

“The biggest reason to be concerned is the lower achievement of the lower-achieving kids,” she added. Being so far behind, she said, could lead to disengagement in school, making it less likely that they graduate from high school or attend college.

The National Assessment of Educational Progress is considered a gold standard in testing. Unlike state tests, it is standardized across the country, has remained consistent over time and makes no attempt to hold individual schools accountable for results, which experts believe makes it more reliable.

The test results offered a snapshot for just one age group: 9-year-olds, who are typically in third or fourth grade. (More results, for fourth graders and for eighth graders, will be released later this fall on a state-by-state level.)

“This is a test that can unabashedly speak to federal and state leaders in a cleareyed way about how much work we have to do,” said Andrew Ho, a professor of education at Harvard and an expert on education testing who previously served on the board that oversees the exam.

Over time, scores in reading, and especially math, have generally trended upward or held steady since the test was first administered in the early 1970s. That included a period of strong progress from the late 1990s to the mid-2000s.

But over the last decade or so, student scores had leveled off rather than gained, while gaps widened between low- and high-performing students.

Then came the pandemic, which shuttered schools across the country almost overnight. Teachers taught lessons over Zoom, and students sat at home, struggling to learn online.

In some parts of the country, the worst of the disruptions were short lived, with schools reopening that fall. But in other areas, particularly in big cities with large populations of low-income students and students of color, schools remained closed for many months, and some did not fully reopen until last year.

The national tests, Dr. Ho said, tell the story of a “decade of progress,” followed by a “decade of inequality” and then the “shock” of the pandemic, which came with a one-two punch.

“It erased the progress, and it exacerbated the inequality,” Dr. Ho said. “Now we have our work cut out for us.”

He estimated that losing one point on the national exam roughly translated to about three weeks of learning. That means a top-performing student who lost three points in math could catch up in as little as nine weeks, while a low-performing student who lost 12 points would need 36 weeks, or almost nine months, to make up ground — and would still be significantly behind more advanced peers.

There are indications that students — fully back in school — have begun to learn at a normal pace once again, but experts say it will take more than the typical school day to make up gaps created by the pandemic.

The results should be a “rallying cry” to focus on getting students back on track, said Janice K. Jackson, who led the Chicago Public Schools until last year and is now a board member of Chiefs for Change, which represents state education and school district leaders. She called for the federal government to step up with big ideas, invoking the Marshall Plan, the American initiative to help rebuild Europe after World War II.

“That is how dramatic it is to me,” she said, adding that politicians, school leaders, teachers’ unions and parents would have to set aside the many disagreements that flared during the pandemic and come together to help students recover.

“No more of the arguments, and the back and forth and the vitriol and the finger pointing,” she said. “Everybody should be treating this like the crisis that it is.”

But solutions may be rather basic, if difficult to carry out. Martin West, a professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Education and a member of the National Assessment Governing Board that oversees the test, said that low-performing students simply needed to spend more time learning, whether it was in the form of tutoring, extended school days or summer school.

The federal government has budgeted $122 billion to help students recover, the largest single investment in American schools, and at least 20 percent of that money must be spent on academic catch-up. Yet some schools have had difficulty hiring teachers, let alone tutors, and others may need to spend far more than 20 percent of their money to close big gaps.

“I don’t see a silver bullet,” Dr. West said, “beyond finding a way to increase instructional time.”

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I wonder if anyone will think to try funding schools and paying teachers decent wages.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I wonder if anyone will think to try funding schools and paying teachers decent wages.

Huh. Not sure about that concept. Let me ask my Aunt Nimby what she thinks about that...

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

This seems like the first "official" confirmation that remote learning has been a disaster for many kids. The declines were among just about every race, ethnic, geographic, and income demographic, but was worse among low income students and already low performing students.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1565281771603873792

My wife tendered her resignation to the school she's at just last week; her 5th grade students are so far behind that they are essentially only able to perform 3rd grade level math with confidence, she's loaded up with 32 kids (teaching 4th and 5th grade math and science!), the school can't/won't hire an aid or an intervention specialist, and that swollen gently caress piece of poo poo Desantis let schools start putting cameras in classrooms

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tuxedo Gin posted:

To be fair, I don't think that would have helped much in this specific scenario since the loss occurred in just about every group and schools were closed for most of the time.

School funding is also a tricky issue because some schools are underfunded, but the U.S. also spends more per student than the average OECD country by a large margin. Luxembourg and Norway are the only countries that spend more per student. So, it isn't as simple as they are short on cash.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

To be fair, I don't think that would have helped much in this specific scenario since the loss occurred in just about every group and schools were closed for most of the time.

School funding is also a tricky issue because some schools are underfunded, but the U.S. also spends more per student than the average OECD country by a large margin. Luxembourg and Norway are the only countries that spend more per student. So, it isn't as simple as they are short on cash.

Schools should have spent a month rushing teachers through online education courses. I trained in some as part of my Master's and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes required for many state's credentials going forward. It is a TOTALLY different skillset from face-to-face classroom education.

And yeah, schools aren't "short on cash", they're just mostly short on cash that can be used for programs, supplies, and teachers (because it all goes to admin and extremely expensive grift contracts).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

cat botherer posted:

Policing is a recent thing in the history of civilization. A society without the extreme inequality we have would not have anywhere near the crime we do in the first place.

The status quo under capitalism benefits the bourgeoisie, hence why police are so awful. A police system meant to uphold working-class rule would not have the same level of problems - unlike policing meant to uphold the current economic and racial order.

Let's go back to the bygone days where outsiders to the community were shunned and barely able to function in society, and any groups of outsiders (Roma) were beaten

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mastershakeman posted:

Let's go back to the bygone days where outsiders to the community were shunned and barely able to function in society, and any groups of outsiders (Roma) were beaten
Unlike now, where ex-cons function in society just great, and are rarely shunned/forced to live under bridges/beaten/etc.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mastershakeman posted:

I mean you do know that anti migrant, minority and roma violence are still conducted now. Just a lot of it is by the police or not investigated by the police.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NJ banned single-use paper and plastic bags in stores but "forgot" to make an exception for online delivery orders or to require stores to take them back, so now people are accruing dozens upon dozens of reusable bags and have no idea what to do with them.

I presume a Menendez owns the company that makes them or something because it's hard for me to believe that this incredibly obvious consequence was as unforeseeable as is claimed by some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eXXon posted:

NJ banned single-use paper and plastic bags in stores but "forgot" to make an exception for online delivery orders or to require stores to take them back, so now people are accruing dozens upon dozens of reusable bags and have no idea what to do with them.

I presume a Menendez owns the company that makes them or something because it's hard for me to believe that this incredibly obvious consequence was as unforeseeable as is claimed by some.

Can you post the article or something because I'm not quite grasping what's going on.