Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

For what it’s worth I think at least half of the broadcast crew is actually happy about this - a season full of travel and potential COVID exposure adds up for folks.

Yeah I'm fully on board with the idea that the Blazers are doing this to be cheap, but, also it's the right thing to do. Announcers announcing through COVID was loving awful last year, not just from the "wow and they've traveled through three major metropolitan areas in the last 24 hours" but from the auditory aspect of listening to the guys call games that could barely talk. Most were remote in 2020 and it was barely noticeable, because they're already broadcasting off of broadcasters placed in the worst seats in the house in half the arenas currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/umphreysmcgee/status/1560627653140422658
I don't get this, like at all. It's. It's not like there are enough Umphrey's fans to meaningfully drive subs for Marquee.

There's probably a dedicated Umphrey's fan on the staff somewhere who made it happen. Source, I have several coworkers who spend all their free time flying to Umphrey's shows, who still have to explain who the gently caress they're going to see on a regular basis. But they'd cut a bitch to make sure they get their Umphrey's time.

Ninja edit: I still have never listened to a single song of theirs, despite sitting next to one of said superfans for almost a year in the past.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/chrisvannini/status/1560713432499994626?s=21&t=zLdNUb18VSwrOno12Kt9qQ

Fox sports firing up that image rehab machine

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/umphreysmcgee/status/1560627653140422658
I don't get this, like at all. It's. It's not like there are enough Umphrey's fans to meaningfully drive subs for Marquee.

It's one of Tom Rickett's favorite bands. Really not much else to it. He was getting them paid gigs when he was on the city tourism board a decade ago.

Most of the hires at Marquee are just people Tom likes personally or players he liked watching when he moved here for college.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Niwrad posted:

It's one of Tom Rickett's favorite bands.

Well now I feel dirty for agreeing with Tom Ricketts about something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Billionaire jam band guy is an extremely awful type of guy to be

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

It's one of Tom Rickett's favorite bands. Really not much else to it. He was getting them paid gigs when he was on the city tourism board a decade ago.

Most of the hires at Marquee are just people Tom likes personally or players he liked watching when he moved here for college.

https://twitter.com/madkenney/status/1218535475079593984?s=20&t=eJbv5nVpCLPqbc8Leyw07g

Boo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Billionaire jam band guy is an extremely awful type of guy to be
Is "billionaire jam band fan" better or worse than "billionaire jam band member?"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Please, the Straight Shot are just blues rock.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/ChadinRipCity/status/1561871288490070017
Bullying works

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rejoice!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
But I thought there was “nothing you could do about it”

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticWBB/status/1562063948928761858

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mahoning posted:

But I thought there was “nothing you could do about it”

I think you misread that tweet. The reporter was saying it was a financial decision, "No way around it", meaning there was no way to justify it other than for financials.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1562084769038475266

fake edit:

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1562092756360626177

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1564409579953623042?s=21&t=KjpvUQznL1aI5DKQubcGng

so, um, who wants to invest in this

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is that good I can't tell anymore

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How many times have these RSNs been sold in the last decade?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bird in a Blender posted:

How many times have these RSNs been sold in the last decade?

Twice, but only because the Walt Disney Company couldn’t legally own them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So what does Sinclair think they're going to do to make $$$$$ on these because I'm sure not seeing it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Crazy Ted posted:

So what does Sinclair think they're going to do to make $$$$$ on these because I'm sure not seeing it

Yeah I'm not really seeing the play here. Regionals have been slowly bleeding money for a while now and Bally's just continues to eat poo poo since acquiring the Fox Sports Regionals.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There's no good answer for what solves Bally Sports' problems.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

There's no good answer for what solves Bally Sports' problems.
The Barstool Regional Sports Network

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

The Barstool Regional Sports Network

I said GOOD answer.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

I said GOOD answer.
The Hooters Regional Sports Networks

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The likely result IMO is you're gonna get owners in a lot of markets buying the individual channels like Leonsis is doing in DC.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How about we just go back to local sports teams being broadcast OTA? Wouldn't that be crazy? :sigh:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The likely result IMO is you're gonna get owners in a lot of markets buying the individual channels like Leonsis is doing in DC.

Makes the most sense.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Bird in a Blender posted:

How about we just go back to local sports teams being broadcast OTA? Wouldn't that be crazy? :sigh:

You would think, if there was one team in the universe that would understand the fanbase you can generate by making your games freely available worldwide it would be the Cubs. Unfortunately, the next generation of fans is the next suckers problem.

In short, the Marquee Family of Regional Sports Networks.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think so too. Ilitch wanted to create a Detroit station years ago, but the idea got stopped, maybe for this reason.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It would take probably a huge amount of capital but if the NBA took it over and started offering real packages streaming and over came, without blackouts, offerings like marquee games or 4th quarter only, etc I think they'd do really well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Lockback posted:

It would take probably a huge amount of capital but if the NBA took it over and started offering real packages streaming and over came, without blackouts, offerings like marquee games or 4th quarter only, etc I think they'd do really well.

Three things:

1) if the NBA believed this, it would have happened by now

2) unless your name is Netflix, you have never made money in the streaming game

3) the NBA doesn’t even run its own TV channel, what makes you think they have the desire to do this?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think it would take too much money to buy back the rights and do it, which is why I made that the very first sentence.

I think the day and age of sports being tied to a regional cable package is coming to an end and a combination of national games and getting access to games that doesn't rely on location and getting around blackouts is the way forward. It's just that we're in a middle time when that's not possible but the old methods are falling apart.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Can you lock out a TV channel?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

throwing this out there

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1565336274801930241
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1565344339017883650

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Those out of touch retirement age streamers. Probably don't even know how to Brain Dance like the edgerunners do.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
no idea if there's any sophistication to how those metrics are gathered, but i wonder if "using my parent's prime account" is being accounted for somehow

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder what the median age of the average NFL game is.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That's not terribly surprising. My 65-year-old mother is practically allergic to computers but I was able to teach her to use the basic functions of a Fire Stick without too much of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mahoning posted:

I wonder what the median age of the average NFL game is.

Probably pretty close since about half of those viewers are from the local broadcast, according to his later tweets. Or maybe it is just the older crowd that are enough of die-hards to tune into a local pre-season game. Or maybe it is related to the age of the owner of the account and not the viewer, like a previous poster mentioned.