Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Breetai posted:

Only thing I would change about Soma's ending is to have us actually start with the 'good' arc ending, and then smash cut to the bad ending undersea freak-out. It would have had a different and in my opinion better impact.

I don't think I could have handled that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wish I wasn't a huge baby about horror stuff, because all that sounds really cool

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Wish I wasn't a huge baby about horror stuff, because all that sounds really cool

If you mean regular horror with monsters chasing you and stuff, you can turn it off.

If you mean other kinds of horror (ie existential), then uh yeah stay away.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Samovar posted:

Well,. obviously. I mean, have you seen the DIMENSIONS of the sun?!

"In awe of the size of this lad" - Solaire

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Breetai posted:

Only thing I would change about Soma's ending is to have us actually start with the 'good' arc ending, and then smash cut to the bad ending undersea freak-out. It would have had a different and in my opinion better impact.

Tw: spiders :nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAbzEIcNxY

Convex has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Sep 1, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The best way to describe the coin toss is just "You won't care either way. One of you will be moving on, the other will be dead. Stop worrying so much, as either way, you are inevitably going to lose. The only difference is the location of where that version of you loses" Just make very clear that there IS no win condition. (I am fully aware that there IS no explaining it away as it's a logical fallacy brought on as a coping mechanism to distance oneself from an unpleasant situation)

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:44 on Sep 1, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just love that over the course of the game you share the experiences of four different Simons, two of which are given the opportunity to kill one of the others

But the part of it that was the most horrifying to me personally was when you finally solve the "interrogate the recording" puzzle, and are left standing there in front of a dead computer, literally holding someone's mind in your hand in a plastic cartridge, and there's nothing you can do except set it on the table and walk away

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
SOMA chat reminds me of the Awkward Zombie comic of Last of Us, and how there's a inf numbe rof timelines where you miss a shot and then just yeet yourself leaving your new not daughter in a lovely situation where she's probally going to die.

dont care/think, i mean care/think a little bit but not tooo much.

e: also whats her name is sortting her comics wrong and doesnt know you ignore "The" and sort under the next valid word.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 17:34 on Sep 1, 2022

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

sebmojo posted:

my favourite little thing in games is seeing the dwarf fortress nerds blissfully happy big dumb faces, there are men who are unironically living the dream. also the soundtrack for the new steam version slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgXQKqGhfIY
But how can you improve on perfection? (having an expanded soundtrack is actually nice and the songs sound pretty good. Also holy poo poo a UI that doesn't feel like it's from 1992, with mouse support even?!)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Wasteland 3, raiders set a landmine under a merchant stall during a previous raid, but we didn't have anyone who knew about explosives so I just ran over and stomped on it since I had the most health and armour. The merchant was like "I mean, I guess that works??" And proceeded to sell me stuff

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I talked about the sailing in AC Odyssey the other day, but I keep going back to how perfectly they nailed the look and feel of the open ocean:

https://i.imgur.com/YzYvSZR.mp4

I like just sailing around doing nothing but watching the ocean because it looks so drat good

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I find it endlessly amusing how every ocean game ramps up the waves to 12. Those waves have to be at least Sea State 5 (a.k.a. "Rough") and might well be 6 ("Very Rough"). Sea state 6 is waves of at least 4 meters. I can't imagine that actual sailing ships in ancient Greece would want to go out on the water in these conditions.

But hell, I'm just as much to blame as anyone. Here's "Impossible" waves in my game:

https://i.imgur.com/tfl3t03.mp4

:v:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I find it endlessly amusing how every ocean game ramps up the waves to 12. Those waves have to be at least Sea State 5 (a.k.a. "Rough") and might well be 6 ("Very Rough"). Sea state 6 is waves of at least 4 meters. I can't imagine that actual sailing ships in ancient Greece would want to go out on the water in these conditions.

But hell, I'm just as much to blame as anyone. Here's "Impossible" waves in my game:

This is Art

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just like the old seagoer's advice for heavy seas, steer into it ramp it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Can the boats ramp over each other to drop depth charges?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Can the boats ramp over each other to drop depth charges?

There is an achievement for destroying a surface target with anti-submarine weapons! The cheevo art looks like this:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Can you kickflip your boat or do a shuvit?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Can you kickflip your boat or do a shuvit?

https://twitter.com/byobattleship/status/1538200365623042048

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Yeeeeeaah buddy

e: I remember you asking around in the MilHist(?) thread and seeing early work. I thought it was an awesome idea then, super stoked to see it come along so much!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Yeeeeeaah buddy

e: I remember you asking around in the MilHist(?) thread and seeing early work. I thought it was an awesome idea then, super stoked to see it come along so much!

Thank you! I've been working on Waves of Steel for over three years now, and it's neeeeaaaarly done.

Someday soon, I will be free :unsmith:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Waves of Steel 2 when

:buddy:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Danaru posted:

In Wasteland 3, raiders set a landmine under a merchant stall during a previous raid, but we didn't have anyone who knew about explosives so I just ran over and stomped on it since I had the most health and armour. The merchant was like "I mean, I guess that works??" And proceeded to sell me stuff

The game is fairly reactive to stuff like that and it's part of the charm yeah :3:

Also I am excited for Steeling Waves

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hel posted:

At least Control and Elden Ring only affect their own players, Weird West names itself after a genre and thus screws over anyone else working in that space.

Fuckin' Cyberpunk. :argh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I find that funny since in my experience it's usually more completely calm flat ocean no matter the time or conditions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am absolutely down for video games treating the ocean like it's basically blue sand dunes when you're in a boat. Lord knows I love to ramp off a wave in a jetski at an arcade cabinet that rumbles my rear end

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hmmmm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Who can know what the future might bring

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

BioEnchanted posted:

The best way to describe the coin toss is just "You won't care either way. One of you will be moving on, the other will be dead. Stop worrying so much, as either way, you are inevitably going to lose. The only difference is the location of where that version of you loses" Just make very clear that there IS no win condition. (I am fully aware that there IS no explaining it away as it's a logical fallacy brought on as a coping mechanism to distance oneself from an unpleasant situation)

This is reminding me of Zero Time Dilemma, the third game of the Nonary Games trilogy.

The game is about a bunch of people trapped in a lab, being made to solve puzzles and make various choices about who lives and dies, with branching timelines depending on what is picked.

The very first thing that happens is the mastermind gives the imprisoned group a coin toss. Lose, and they'll be gassed unconscious and brought into the 'games'. Win, and they'll be set free.

There is indeed a very short timeline where you 'win' and the mastermind keeps his word, everyone is free and just standing there figuring out what to do next.

But then because the 'games' were about unlocking latent psychic powers to mind-hop between timelines, in the epilogue the assholes who'd been killing each other in different timelines all hop into the bodies of the 'winners' to escape.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They have a bright future ahead of them.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

While I really enjoyed the Nonary Games series, I felt like Uchikoshi was reaaaally trying to recapture the magic of Ever17, between the lengthy philosophical discourse and the wild plot twists, and not quite managing. It’s part of why I think I enjoyed AI: The Somnium Files more. It still did the discourse and plot twists but they were built on fundamentally different ground. No one mentioned Shrödinger’s cat even once!

Also, anyone who enjoys visual novels should absolutely play Ever17 and go into it as blind as you can. Absolutely one of the best things to come out of the medium

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

You have made the greatest form of naval combat simulation ever.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

My favourite little thing about Deserts of Kharak: turning Homeworld into 2D really works.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

The game is fairly reactive to stuff like that and it's part of the charm yeah :3:

Also I am excited for Steeling Waves

My favorite reactive game experience was in GTA V. I ran against a woman, took a small short cut and she called me out on it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Philippe posted:

My favourite little thing about Deserts of Kharak: turning Homeworld into 2D really works.

I'd be more excited about kharak 2 than Homeworld 3, tbh.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just like the old seagoer's advice for heavy seas, steer into it ramp it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY
But with a boat of course

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

This looks completely ridiculous.

How do I preorder

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zero_Grade posted:

This looks completely ridiculous.

How do I preorder

Available now in Early Access!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482750/Waves_of_Steel/

I have it and play it, and it is completely ridiculous in the most awesome way.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Going back to Bioshock Infinite and it’s DLC, I liked them but I didn’t enjoy them. I will not be taking questions.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Available now in Early Access!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482750/Waves_of_Steel/

I have it and play it, and it is completely ridiculous in the most awesome way.

It's good for an early access game too - the story missions aren't all completed of course, but I've found bugs to be pretty rare and the main functionality of the game seems to all be there. It's not just a glorified demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Going back to Bioshock Infinite and it’s DLC, I liked them but I didn’t enjoy them. I will not be taking questions.

I got one question though.

How are you doing today?