Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

This is the one I went with, black dye on everything makes it a ghostly oil slick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I suppose if I don't have a mount it is best to get a raptor skin for now as that is the first one you get?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I suppose if I don't have a mount it is best to get a raptor skin for now as that is the first one you get?

Get the skin that you like the most

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

wrote up some words on Power Vindicator for someone else so might as well post it here. Easy mode raid/fractal/strike spec for revenant. you must look at my touhou inspired revenant as the tax for the writeup. build shamelessly stolen from mr mystic but i'm saving you having to watch a video.

this is not the build you play because you want to do the top 0.1% of DPS, but you aren't playing revenant in the first place for top 0.1% dps. this is a easy build with a bigass sword, a dragoon jump, and cool ghost magic powers, and you play it because you want to be in melee but also want a low intensity, easy build like mecahnist.

this is not a open world build but it'll probably work fine there.

ingame build code: [&DQkDPg82RR3cEdwRBhIGEisSKxLUEdQRyhHKEQIDAwQGEisS1BEAAAAAAAA=] pasting it might not work because revenant build codes have been buggy fuckin forever so there's a image above too.
gear: full berserker's
weapon: greatsword. you can technically do sword/sword too for a damage loss but the lack of greatsword 4 really sucks.
runes: eagle because i'm bad but scholar is also a option
sigils: force & air. you can also do force & impact but impact's like, 4 fuckin more gold for barely a dps increase.
food: +100 power/+70 ferocity or budget alternatives. you just want power and ferocity from your food because you're naturally crit capped. or birthday cakes i guess if you're cheap like me.
utility: superior sharpening stones or whatever's cheap and power & feroctiy.

basic gameplay loop is dodge whenever you're at full dodge juice and the boss in about to move. use upkeep skills (vengeful hammers and impossible odds) whenever in melee range. you work off a priority system of dodge > greatsword 5 (Eternity's Requiem) > greatsword 3 (Phantom's Onslaught) (throw in some greatsword 2s (Mist Unleashed) if you feel spicy.). you can just spam 2 instead of 3 if dashing would kill your rear end or be risky. Swap legends when you're at <5% energy.

you can start in jalis to be optimal and prioritzie jalis during downtime but snzzzz.

greatsword 3 (Phantom's Onslaught), Jalis's Forced Engagement are your main CC buttons. Jalis's Inspiring Reinforcement is stability if you ever need that. Shiro's Jade Winds is also a CC but it's a last resort as it costs a shitton of energy.

Greatsword 4 (Imperial Guard) serves as your dodge, effectively. it lasts for 2 seconds so it's as good as a double dodge. Make sure to do the follow up (true strike) for some extra damage if you need to use it. If you're not used to a fight, you can swap at around 10 energy to make sure you always have enough in the tank for imperial dodge. If you ever need even more dodging, remember that you can spend 20 energy with your f2 (Energy Meld) for 50 out of 100 juice you need to dodge, and Shiro's Riposting Shadows is a evade that also stun breaks and gives 25 dodge juice (whilst cleansing immob chill and cripple).

If you're stuck in Jalis and still need more Not Dying, his Forced Engagement reduces the damage you take by 33% from a single target, and Rite of the Great Dwarf is a panic button for 50% less strike damage taken (wont do poo poo against condis). You're also taking 20% less damage at all times with Vengeful Hammers up. Finally, Soothing Stone cleanses 5 conditions on top of the heal and 5 seconds of Resolution so it can be worth panic swapping to Jalis early even if you're not out of energy if you're about to die.

Remember that Shiro's Impossible Odds makes you 50% faster. This combined with Greatsword 3 (Phantom's Onslaught) can really let you zoom and haul rear end when need be, with Shiro's Phase Traversal for a 1200 range shadowstep to a target.

if that's all still too much for you because you've got a physical condition or you're just watching netflix, upkeep + dodge + greatsword 5 + autos or even just upkeep + dodge + autos is probably still going to outdamage 90% of people you come across.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 1, 2022

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

bagrada posted:

I made a norn male with a bowl haircut and a dumb expression intending to see what they get from the makeover kits but now I love the doofus as he is. I think I want to make him a druid and go follow the WvW crowd around.

While looking at skins I found there is a barefoot appearance for each armor weight and there are tons of the market but they are all thousands of gold (~$100 worth of gems). Apparently they are from a HoT treasure mushroom you can only see if you have the nuhoch stealth detection mastery.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Reliquary_of_the_Raven_Ceremonial_Sandals are cheap and will get you 90% of the way to barefoot

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Mohawk Potato posted:

So is there a way to earn gems in game or is buying them the only way?

There's the gold conversion and for every 5000 cheevo points, you get 400 gems

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Speaking of bare feet has Jennah put on shoes at any point in the game yet? It's so weird

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trying hard to make a classic Final Fantasy Dragoon for my Vindicator and it's friggin hard!

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

According to the wiki, mount size actually scales with the height slider from character creation. So you could use a makeover kit to set your height and mounts to the smallest size. Assuming you haven't already, since you might also prefer characters that take up minimal screen space

Okay, thanks. Yeah, all my characters always have the height slider all the way down already. Only reason I'd ever go the other way would be for a Charr to function as a soaker in WvW.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Luggage posted:

Okay, thanks. Yeah, all my characters always have the height slider all the way down already. Only reason I'd ever go the other way would be for a Charr to function as a soaker in WvW.

IDK, I put the height glider on MAX for my Asura guardian. I figured, I should opt for the largest possible weapons to scale

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

bagrada posted:

I made a norn male with a bowl haircut and a dumb expression intending to see what they get from the makeover kits but now I love the doofus as he is. I think I want to make him a druid and go follow the WvW crowd around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1NdGBldg3w

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For the past few weeks the -autologin switch has like a 50% chance to do nothing and it's annoying :(

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Picked the Lyssa outfit from the free box and am immediately regretting it. So hard choosing with all of these free cosmetics!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ort posted:

Picked the Lyssa outfit from the free box and am immediately regretting it. So hard choosing with all of these free cosmetics!

Where do I get this from? I got the t shirt from prime gaming.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

orcane posted:

For the past few weeks the -autologin switch has like a 50% chance to do nothing and it's annoying :(

It is trying to get you to sign up for the SMS feature, when that prompt pops up (like 50% of the time) it blocks auto launch.

tarbrush posted:

Where do I get this from? I got the t shirt from prime gaming.

It was a twitch loot thing that is over now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Actuarial Fables posted:

Get the skin that you like the most

Well sure, but I have no concept of how long it takes or how hard it is to get all of these various mount types aside from that you start with the raptor and get the warclaw through wvw. So for example I don't want to pick a skin for a mount I may never get.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Skyscale, Griffon, and Roller Beetle are the only mounts you actually have to go out of your way for, with Skyscale being the most drawn out and Roller Beetle being pretty chill. Griffon is mostly just expensive but relatively quick if you have the gold. The thing is that Skyscale is such a huge quality of life upgrade that you would be cheating yourself not to get it, eventually. Although there's some seriously cool premium skins (not in this free selection) for Skyscale so it would be kind of a waste to get one from this if you end up wanting the faerie or robot one later. I guess you can just hang on to the license until you feel like using it if you're really stuck.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the Skyscale obtainable without having to buy access to a previous season's content? Is it something I can/should go out of my way to stop what I'm doing in HoT now and go do asap?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I've got so many unused selection crates in my bank waiting for me to get a plan to use them. I don't want to burn it on something cool then have an idea down the line and not be able to do it anymore. This goes back decades of gaming and I guess falls into the RPG "but I might need it later" bags of unused potions meme.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

explosivo posted:

Is the Skyscale obtainable without having to buy access to a previous season's content? Is it something I can/should go out of my way to stop what I'm doing in HoT now and go do asap?

You need all of Season 4 to get Skyscale. I waited to get it until I finished PoF and the story content of LS4, but I also had gotten the Griffon so I had some access to flight already.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Felt like I was neglecting the griffon so I took it to a tall place and launched off getting maximum speed.

It really is a goddamn fighter jet. The Skyscale is sluggish by comparison, even though it's more useful.

Skyscale is a workhorse, Griffon is a luxury toy.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Griffon owns in Drizzlewood for the boss rush at the end of South meta.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

whydirt posted:

You need all of Season 4 to get Skyscale. I waited to get it until I finished PoF and the story content of LS4, but I also had gotten the Griffon so I had some access to flight already.

Blech, okay. That stinks but ~$12 worth of gems may be worth it I suppose.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

explosivo posted:

Blech, okay. That stinks but ~$12 worth of gems may be worth it I suppose.

Hopefully it goes on sale for you soon.

It might stink, but LS4 is one of the high points in the story imo. If you spend the money at least you get some good story out of it.

It’s definitely on par with content:cost as other game dlcs would be, plus the return to living world achievements give you a lot of currency and stuff for those zones.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

new expansion seems a lot more cool and interesting than I expected. the over fishing event was amusing, and you can get ascended versions of the class specific accessories which is probably not worth the effort but i'm still gonna get them. the thief shadow is super fun

anyone got a gen 3 legendary? i haven't looked into them too much yet but they don't seem great?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

CODChimera posted:

new expansion seems a lot more cool and interesting than I expected. the over fishing event was amusing, and you can get ascended versions of the class specific accessories which is probably not worth the effort but i'm still gonna get them. the thief shadow is super fun

anyone got a gen 3 legendary? i haven't looked into them too much yet but they don't seem great?

The big appeal of the gen 3is that, once you craft the base Aurene version, you can do smaller collections to unlock variations based on every elder dragon, each with a unique skin, new projectiles, new on kill effects etc.

Those variations are being rolled out over time but so far iirc the Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Kralk are all in wo far

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ineptitude posted:

It is trying to get you to sign up for the SMS feature, when that prompt pops up (like 50% of the time) it blocks auto launch.
Weird, I'm already using the SMS thing and it never shows any prompts, just sits there not logging in until I click the button :confused:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ort posted:

I thought the Lyssa one worked really well on a Norn, but I also hide the helmet. I was considering Marjory's too, which I think would work well with the hood though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Inzombiac posted:

Felt like I was neglecting the griffon so I took it to a tall place and launched off getting maximum speed.

It really is a goddamn fighter jet. The Skyscale is sluggish by comparison, even though it's more useful.

Skyscale is a workhorse, Griffon is a luxury toy.

If I can't fly somewhere with the griffon then I shouldn't be flying there.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to get a flying mount without having to buy an additional season of content? Is the Griffon just a standard Path of Fire unlock and would it probably be good enough until there was either a sale and/or I was inebriated enough to buy $20 worth of gems for LS4?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Is there a way to get a flying mount without having to buy an additional season of content? Is the Griffon just a standard Path of Fire unlock and would it probably be good enough until there was either a sale and/or I was inebriated enough to buy $20 worth of gems for LS4?
Yes the griffon is part of PoF and doesn't require any additional expansions/living world seasons to unlock. The main roadblock is coming up with the 250 gold for the vendor items you need to buy for the unlock collection.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Also the griffon is a gliding mount, which I feel like is a worthwhile distinction to make. From the ground, it has a pretty substantial hop + flap for verticality, but you'll still get higher with the springer. If you need something for a long vertical ascent, or even just a moderate ascent across a longer distance, the griffon won't quite cut it. IMO it's still a lot more fun to use than the skyscale though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

orcane posted:

Yes the griffon is part of PoF and doesn't require any additional expansions/living world seasons to unlock. The main roadblock is coming up with the 250 gold for the vendor items you need to buy for the unlock collection.

Oh goddamnit lmao.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I didn't realize they had fixed it so you can dismount your skyscale in the air. My new favorite method of travel is flying as high as I can with the skyscale, dismounting, using the jade bot glide boost for more height, then mounting the griffon and zooming across the map. It's pretty great and now my griffon gets more attention after years of neglect following the skyscale!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Hakarne posted:

I didn't realize they had fixed it so you can dismount your skyscale in the air. My new favorite method of travel is flying as high as I can with the skyscale, dismounting, using the jade bot glide boost for more height, then mounting the griffon and zooming across the map. It's pretty great and now my griffon gets more attention after years of neglect following the skyscale!

Are you talking about the Aurene mastery leap or can we actually dismount midair now?

Regardless, that's still one of the ways I get a good start on mapwide traversal in those maps with sparse waypoints.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IDK about skyscale since I've barely even done LS4 but at least in the past year or so I've been hopping off raptor/springer mid-air and transitioning to gliding for getting to vistas etc. with no issues. e: with just the regular mount/dismount button.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I have 2x 80 boosts (I guess because the collection gave me 2 collections I didn't have) taking up my shared inventory space. I used one on a thief who I've always wanted to play because all of the elite specs interest me. For a newer player without tons of money which specs would you all recommend for mostly PvE and WvW play? I'm thinking Daredevil or Specter. Deadeye seems like it might be fun in WvW but from what I've read it is underperforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Xerol posted:

IDK about skyscale since I've barely even done LS4 but at least in the past year or so I've been hopping off raptor/springer mid-air and transitioning to gliding for getting to vistas etc. with no issues. e: with just the regular mount/dismount button.

Yeah, that must be some LWS or EoD mastery. I only have HoT and PoF (with masteries of both left and no Griffon unlocked) and I can't do that.