Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Cloudflare sucks but I still use their free tier cdn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you should migrate op

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I mean, probably...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Fool posted:

you should migrate op

Unfortunately Cloudflare has an anti-migration stance.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

spankmeister posted:

:pusheen:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spankmeister posted:

lol

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

:eyepop:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

lmao

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Are you an apt because this is going to live in my head for the next six months

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

some kinda jackal posted:

Are you an apt because this is going to live in my head for the next six months

:nsavince:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Krebs stepped in it re: Ubiquiti

https://twitter.com/AlyssaM_InfoSec/status/1565002684645752834?s=20&t=jDCj7pnBdOBS0W6uIISo7w

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. I cross-posted to the home networking thread. I don't read it as religiously as I used to, but for a time there that "breach" was a big reason it turned a lot of people in that thread off from their products.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

krebs was garbage before then too

ubiquity is also still garbage

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

is there actually something he did, or is he "garbage" in the same way that anyone writing about a technical topic for a popular audience is gonna get experts mad at him? zookeepers hated steve irwin in 1997; in my experience experts very rarely actually like their those who popularize their field

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also post foodle

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'll have to find some examples, but I remember more than one occasion of him being too quick to publish a scoop that turned out to be at least partially incorrect

she gets nervous in the truck

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

is there actually something he did, or is he "garbage" in the same way that anyone writing about a technical topic for a popular audience is gonna get experts mad at him? zookeepers hated steve irwin in 1997; in my experience experts very rarely actually like their those who popularize their field

There's more than just this instance, but he got in a beef with a security researcher where he doxxed the researcher and has reporting on things based on rumors rather than solid info that eventually came out to just that: Rumors.

Krebs is not well likes in the infosec community et large.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

she gets nervous in the truck

oh my god this owns <3 (also: thank you for humoring my incessant need for puppypics)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Achmed Jones posted:

oh my god this owns <3 (also: thank you for humoring my incessant need for puppypics)

your need for puppy pics? you are not alone here. puppy rules

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

There's more than just this instance, but he got in a beef with a security researcher where he doxxed the researcher and has reporting on things based on rumors rather than solid info that eventually came out to just that: Rumors.

Krebs is not well likes in the infosec community et large.
yeah he has the problem of starting with some interesting news... then having to generate more news when his real sources dried up and he tried to turn his news into income

which is why most of his poo poo in the past 5 years is picking fights with carders and trying to get something interesting to talk about

the good infosec news folks are the ones who quiet down when there's nothing to talk about, not triple down

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Internet Explorer posted:

Interesting. I cross-posted to the home networking thread. I don't read it as religiously as I used to, but for a time there that "breach" was a big reason it turned a lot of people in that thread off from their products.

Fellow goons, I come from the networking thread, volunteering my voice to share what knowledge is known in mutual exchange. Ubiquiti still poo poo, independent of Krebs.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Still doesn't change that their products are more geared towards looking/being like Apple than usability.

* UDM (the suppository-looking thing) didn't allow you to even so much as use it as a dumb switch without an internet connection to log into a cloud account on initial setup. I'm still not sure you can, they promised they'd fix that and then went silent.
* Shipping 6E APs that DON'T have at least 2.5GbE ports. What's the point of having an AP that is capable of pushing two one-gigabit wireless streams, if you... can't push two times one-gigabits back over the wire?
* Killing off the utilitarian Edge line in favor of the white bullshit.
* The bullshit with their abrupt and unceremonious 6-month EoLing of Unifi-Video products. Who cares if you JUST installed a brand new Unifi-Video system yesterday! Six months before it gets EoLed! And if I remember correctly, six months before your recordings become COMPLETELY UNACCESSIBLE, with no provisions for continuing to use it unsupported afterwards. Not least of which so they could move you all onto their new and shiny and 100% not-backwards-compatible cloud Unifi Security platform! https://community.ui.com/questions/UniFi-Video-Products-End-of-Life-Announcement/dc529d39-0e58-43cc-96f0-8f0eed0d002c

And that's before they had their own actual, admitted data breach: https://community.ui.com/questions/Account-Notification/96467115-49b5-4dd6-9517-f8cdbf6906f3
None of which has ANYTHING to do with Krebs's reporting.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 1, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fellow goons, I come from the networking thread, volunteering my voice to share what knowledge is known in mutual exchange. Ubiquiti still poo poo, independent of Krebs.

I still like my Unifi Edgerouters and switches, so, eh. Take the good with the bad. Thank goodness I avoid their cloud stuff anyways.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I still like my Unifi Edgerouters and switches, so, eh. Take the good with the bad. Thank goodness I avoid their cloud stuff anyways.
You can still self-host the controller and keep it entirely isolated from the butt stuff.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

You can still self-host the controller and keep it entirely isolated from the butt stuff.

This is true, though the UDM (and the rest of the Dream line?) don’t allow you to use an outside controller. It’s all built in, and must be set up through the cloud. Once that’s done I think you can turn off cloud access to manage it locally, but I haven’t done that myself.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

smax posted:

This is true, though the UDM (and the rest of the Dream line?) don’t allow you to use an outside controller. It’s all built in, and must be set up through the cloud. Once that’s done I think you can turn off cloud access to manage it locally, but I haven’t done that myself.

I hate things that say basically "Don't worry you only have to feed your unencrypted wifi password through the cloud ONCE and then you can uninstall this sketchy as poo poo app from your phone." Oh great, thanks.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think newer releases let you do an entirely offline setup, though if you buy the device and it has an older firmware on then you need to flash the firmware on via SSH before the offline option becomes available.

In any case, I've never been that impressed with Ubiquiti hardware outside their PtP radios, and I suspect the only reason they seem to be all over YouTube is because they have a good marketing department who can target the right people.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rescue Toaster posted:

I hate things that say basically "Don't worry you only have to feed your unencrypted wifi password through the cloud ONCE and then you can uninstall this sketchy as poo poo app from your phone." Oh great, thanks.

How do you get firmware updates for your devices? Unless you're supporting a relatively niche set if requirements, you're going to have to touch someone else's network or application at some point. Just because it uses" the cloud" for setup doesn't make it automatically bad. I do understand, though, how it makes it bad for some workloads.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

How do you get firmware updates for your devices? Unless you're supporting a relatively niche set if requirements, you're going to have to touch someone else's network or application at some point. Just because it uses" the cloud" for setup doesn't make it automatically bad. I do understand, though, how it makes it bad for some workloads.

Oh the main example I ran into recently was an internet-connected cat litter box, which I could have proxied/firewalled to only talk to one server. BUT of course it has to be 'provisioned' using an app, since there's no way to put the wifi password into it, so you have to install their app, re-type the wifi password into the app itself so it can send it over to the device via god knows what bluetooth protocol, etc..etc...

I don't know what the right answer to all these things is, but it feels like a lot of IoT provisioning/setup stuff is often closing the barn door after the cow has escaped, no matter how much effort you are willing to put in to secure/restrict stuff, there's always that one 'well gently caress, I guess I hope nobody's listening' step, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: I know, IoT litter box, but it's actually pretty drat amazing, functionally. Also for keeping track of cats that have some health problems. The only downside relevant to this thread would be it using a dynamic AWS domain to connect to, so it's difficult to restrict it with a simple firewall setup.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 1, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Rescue Toaster posted:

an internet-connected cat litter box

The Jetsons was a documentary

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Puppy pix? Here's my office mate:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kensei posted:

Corgo spotted!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kensei posted:

I'm gonna need you to pet the good dog.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If you build a hierarchy of home networking/wifi gear by price vs. features, management, and security, unifi actually doesn't suck.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Same

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So for all of you that read this thread I want to give you some insider info.

"All Mom and Pop pharmacies in the united states are the most unsecure pieces of poo poo that might exist today."

The companies that support anyone who isn't CVS or Walgreens are solutions so poo poo and so insecure, that I can say with 100% confidence that if any of you have done business with any non-chain pharmacy that your information has been exfiltrated. I might go into the details of this one day, but understand that this isn't an exaggeration. Know and understand that any information you give them is considered public info.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
is it because it’s all running on server 2003?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

He's very appreciative of ear scritches and I do it often!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tryzzub posted:

is it because it’s all running on server 2003?

That would be modern for most standards in these environments. Lets just say that everything involved is somehow frozen in the year of 1998. I mean everything.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Sickening posted:

That would be modern for most standards in these environments. Lets just say that everything involved is somehow frozen in the year of 1998. I mean everything.

Do you think they have a pharmacy tech clean the mouse balls weekly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zil posted:

Do you think they have a pharmacy tech clean the mouse balls weekly?

Did you know you can still buy zipdisks? Did you know people still loving use them?

You joke, but in these places nothing has changed.