Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PhazonLink posted:

Similar to the Fix-It-Yourself movement here, wasnt there a robo dog toy that a toy company stop supporting, and now Japan has FixIt movement based on legal open source dog parts being available?
I think you're thinking of the AIBO, but it's more complicated. Sony sued, then backed down under public pressure, and now there's widely available open-source software. It's in spite of Sony, rather than because Japan has any sort of open-source laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

raifield posted:

I wonder why the company stopped supporting her/it/the technology, it sounds like an excuse to print money off the backs of otaku and NEETs, and that's just Japan. What's sadder is whatever led him to form such an attachment to a fictional creation and left him unable to bond with another human being. This sort of thing is bandaging that problem, which so far as I can tell, no one is interested in addressing, only laughing at.

TLDR: Don't cloud-host your wife, host local with daily backups and a DR plan.

As far as I can tell, they're quietly abandoning the consumer market to focus on large-size versions for corporate customers to use for mascots and stuff. Lonely nerds are a lucrative market because you can sell them JPGs or cheap toys at an absurd markup and keep them coming back for more, but when it comes to expensive hardware like this, marketing departments tend to be the target demo that have the best mix of disposable income and lack of sense.

It's hard to find info about what drove him to that, since most articles are only interested in the weirdo who married an anime, and not about him as a person. But from what I can gather, he faced bullying and social ostracism at his workplace, becoming depressed to the point that he couldn't even eat or sleep, let alone function at work. A doctor forced him to take a leave of absence, but with nothing to do and no real social support or mental health support, he ended up as a shut-in who spent all day on the internet until he found something that made him happy, became obsessed, and managed to lift himself out of that serious depressive episode by binging it nonstop. And reading between the lines, I suspect he found a community in Vocaloid stuff too, making friends and building a social support network around this stuff.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Ah yes I too remember NG Resonance from that Deues Ex game everyone memory holes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Ah yes I too remember NG Resonance from that Deues Ex game everyone memory holes.

project snowblind?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

raifield posted:

I wonder why the company stopped supporting her/it/the technology, it sounds like an excuse to print money off the backs of otaku and NEETs, and that's just Japan. What's sadder is whatever led him to form such an attachment to a fictional creation and left him unable to bond with another human being. This sort of thing is bandaging that problem, which so far as I can tell, no one is interested in addressing, only laughing at.

TLDR: Don't cloud-host your wife, host local with daily backups and a DR plan.

They company only licensed the character for X number of years as it was just a promotion.
Also a little weird that this pre-covid story is making the rounds again.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PhazonLink posted:

I don't memory hole Invisible War. That's the first game that let me beat a child to death with another child. :allears:

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
I've been looking at the recent advances in AI image generators and seeing artists I follow get pretty nervous about them. I'm not an artist myself, but I'm curious if there's any way that artists who don't want their art used by image generators can opt out other than just not putting their work online. As it is I'm seeing artists I admire like R.J. Palmer get sent knock offs of their own art as a form of harassment for voicing concern about the technology.

Given that a lot of prompts include "trending on ArtStation/DeviantArt/etc" I'd think those services would want to reassure their users that they're at least attempting to protect their work (especially ArtStation, which a lot of established professional artists host their portfolios on). I see that DeviantArt currently offers a service that uses AI to identify if users' works are made into NFTs. Providing a similar service to safeguard against users' works being used against their consent in this way would give them a new business niche, so it makes sense to me that they'd do this (if it's even possible).

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 2, 2022

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

There's really no way to protect against it. Whether you produce art, text, code, or anything else, people are going to use what you made for training AI.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
i mean throughout the history of art you see artists copying and iterating on each others work in every possible way, so in some ways AI art is just a pure distillation of that

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

not it isnt because the ai isnt a person

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The ai isn't the artist in ai art, it's the person running it. Ai art is like a very advanced spirograph set - you make your sprockets (build ai, feed it images) and choose your holes (keywords) and then just mindlessly move your hand (hit enter).

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

You could ague, though, that the AI copies a little too much, more than would be acceptable if a human were to straight copy pieces of things.

We've already seen it with code - AI programming spitting out functional secure API Keys from the training data.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I dunno, maybe? I guess it depends on where someone considers the value of art to be derived from.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Stexils posted:

not it isnt because the ai isnt a person

What if the AI is also a corporation?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zachack posted:

I dunno, maybe? I guess it depends on where someone considers the value of art to be derived from.

It's "is photography creative enough to copyright?" all over again.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

You could ague, though, that the AI copies a little too much, more than would be acceptable if a human were to straight copy pieces of things.

We've already seen it with code - AI programming spitting out functional secure API Keys from the training data.

code is a little more discrete than art

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
AI generated art still has human input and curation. If things like colorized mandelbrot sets or collections of aesthetically pleasing rocks can be art, then so is developing the prompts and selecting and image or images. The criticism can't really be "it's not art", it has to be "it's unfairly using others' art to inform its own" and depending on the prompt and the AI that might be hard to argue.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There were whole arguments and cases about who owns someone's image and photograph, who is the actual creative agency, etc, before the law was rewritten to clarify it. I think they're just going to have to rewrite the laws for this, as well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hexmage-SA posted:

I've been looking at the recent advances in AI image generators and seeing artists I follow get pretty nervous about them. I'm not an artist myself, but I'm curious if there's any way that artists who don't want their art used by image generators can opt out other than just not putting their work online. As it is I'm seeing artists I admire like R.J. Palmer get sent knock offs of their own art as a form of harassment for voicing concern about the technology.

Given that a lot of prompts include "trending on ArtStation/DeviantArt/etc" I'd think those services would want to reassure their users that they're at least attempting to protect their work (especially ArtStation, which a lot of established professional artists host their portfolios on). I see that DeviantArt currently offers a service that uses AI to identify if users' works are made into NFTs. Providing a similar service to safeguard against users' works being used against their consent in this way would give them a new business niche, so it makes sense to me that they'd do this (if it's even possible).

I'm pretty sure that the big ones used a curated training dataset.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fool of sound posted:

AI generated art still has human input and curation. If things like colorized mandelbrot sets or collections of aesthetically pleasing rocks can be art, then so is developing the prompts and selecting and image or images. The criticism can't really be "it's not art", it has to be "it's unfairly using others' art to inform its own" and depending on the prompt and the AI that might be hard to argue.

Yeah, I completely agree. If you listen to a cover band, it's mostly the same as listening to the actual band, if they're good. But if they're excellent and if they can play it note for note, you still don't get the same feeling out of it. If you don't add anything to it, it still falls flat.

Sorry if it sounds dumb or flakey, but the human element is still important. An AI doesn't know what is beautiful and pleasing, or what gives art meaning; it's an unthinking algorithm. If you look at the art of the late 19th and 20th century, and now, technical skill is of far lesser importance than making beautiful things. No one cares about the process, and I would argue, no one should care about the process. Gernika isn't what is is, for example, because Picasso mastered the technique of painting, but rather because he had the idea that it should look exactly the way it did (along with the technical skill to execute it).

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol if you look at the art of the late 19th & 20th century you end up straight at Duchamp and find out that "technical skill" and "beauty" and "pleasing art" are all moot

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PhazonLink posted:

I enjoyed it, even with the glaring flaws <:mad:>

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

idiotsavant posted:

lol if you look at the art of the late 19th & 20th century you end up straight at Duchamp and find out that "technical skill" and "beauty" and "pleasing art" are all moot

You can equally say that art exists to make you think, or even to offend your sensibilities. But I don't think a computer will do it beyond random chance.

A computer could generate a MCU film, I have no doubt. It would never create Freddie Got Fingered. You could very well argue that that's an argument in favour of computers, I suppose, but I think that's to overlook the purpose of art.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I completely agree. If you listen to a cover band, it's mostly the same as listening to the actual band, if they're good. But if they're excellent and if they can play it note for note, you still don't get the same feeling out of it. If you don't add anything to it, it still falls flat.

Sorry if it sounds dumb or flakey, but the human element is still important. An AI doesn't know what is beautiful and pleasing, or what gives art meaning; it's an unthinking algorithm. If you look at the art of the late 19th and 20th century, and now, technical skill is of far lesser importance than making beautiful things. No one cares about the process, and I would argue, no one should care about the process. Gernika isn't what is is, for example, because Picasso mastered the technique of painting, but rather because he had the idea that it should look exactly the way it did (along with the technical skill to execute it).

An AI doesn't have to know whether something is beautiful or pleasing. The human operator can spend a few hours tweaking the prompt and iterating on results until the AI spits out something that looks beautiful and pleasing.

The AI has no concept of "beautiful", but that doesn't mean it can't create something beautiful. It's just smashing pixels together semi-randomly. Roll those dice ten thousand times and it'll probably spit out something close enough at least once.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wasn't there this "artist" whose "work" was "I will take someone else's work and just put my signature on it and it's transformative enough do pay me obscene amounts of money while the original artist gets nothing"? It worked out for him because he knew the right people, if I recall correctly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

An AI doesn't have to know whether something is beautiful or pleasing. The human operator can spend a few hours tweaking the prompt and iterating on results until the AI spits out something that looks beautiful and pleasing.

The AI has no concept of "beautiful", but that doesn't mean it can't create something beautiful. It's just smashing pixels together semi-randomly. Roll those dice ten thousand times and it'll probably spit out something close enough at least once.

Well, that's the point. The AI is an idiot, the person that directs it can be an artist because creating art does not necessarily depend on technical skill.

The reason you can prompt these systems with "...in the style of [famous artist]" is because those artists brought something new to the table, as one could do with the assistance of these algorithms.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Thomamelas posted:

Lots of things can damage a person's ability to form bonds with others. Parentification, abuse, and other forms of trauma. Generally when someone is younger, it's worse, but you can see it with adult trauma too. Part of domestic violence is cutting the victim off from their support structures. Friends, family and social groups. It can be fixed, but having trust issues does make therapy a lot harder.

Also, with school shooters, there is just a lot we don't know about their psychology. Very few of them survive the experience, so interviewing them and sorting through what is teenager being edgy, and teenager where something is wrong is tricky.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that it's really not that complicated, Japanese shut-ins and such are usually a result of A: the same intense societal pressures to live up to impossible standards, alienation, atomisation and unrealistic expectations that cause them to simply give up because they see the writing on the wall, and 2: abuse to the point that destroys their ability to function.

Also school shooters are all literally just radicalised white supremacist terrorists.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wasn't there this "artist" whose "work" was "I will take someone else's work and just put my signature on it and it's transformative enough do pay me obscene amounts of money while the original artist gets nothing"? It worked out for him because he knew the right people, if I recall correctly.

I'm pretty sure his name is Eric

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The solution is pretty simple. Since "AI art" is merely imitating existing creative works, the person creating this art has to credit all works used as inputs, and owes royalties to every person whose art they used.

You could probably make an argument that it's very similar to sampling, though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That just sounds like capitalism.txt.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Has FN Meka been brought up on here before? For those unaware it was an "AI rapper" created and owned by a company called Factory New that Capitol Records "signed a deal with" before outcry caused them to drop it only days later.

Here's some excerpts from an interview co-founder of Factory New Anthony Martini did with Music Business World in regards to why they made FN Meka:

"Even with all the money labels devote to finding talent, the success rate is a pitiful 1%. Now we can literally custom-create artists using elements proven to work, greatly increasing the odds of success. We’ve developed a proprietary AI technology that analyzes certain popular songs of a specified genre and generates recommendations for the various elements of song construction: lyrical content, chords, melody, tempo, sounds, etc. We then combine these elements to create the song."

This next part is great:

"Not to get all philosophical but, what is an “artist” today? Think about the biggest stars in the world. How many of them are just vessels for commercial endeavors? How many fans ever actually meet the stars they idolize anyway? People’s fandom develops from digital images on screens projecting expertly designed content – who actually knows with certainty whats real and whats not? If the content is good enough, do people even care how it’s made?"

In this instance people cared enough how it was made that Capitol Records severed ties with Factory New, but it's not hard to imagine that other companies will attempt similar projects.

The icing on the cake is that someone has come forward claiming that they wrote FN Meka's first three songs (that had supposedly been written by AI) and were never compensated adequately for it.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 2, 2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Roy Lichtenstein was basically a plagiarist and made millions doing so, but the art world is basically a big scam.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GrandpaPants posted:

Roy Lichtenstein was basically a plagiarist and made millions doing so, but the art world is basically a big scam.

This was somebody active in the 2000s I could swear.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
We already had this discussion, or at least I thought it was this thread, and when it comes to "Fine Art" you have to remember: The Art is NOT the Image.

For better or for worse.

You can have a Roy Lichtenstein who reproduces a Sunday Morning comics panel in acrylics.

You can Marcel Duchamp drawing a mustache in pencil on a postcard of the Mona Lisa.

You can have thousands and thousands of white canvasses painted white.

You just gotta convince someone to like it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Congrats on your big brain revelation I guess. Art is about people, yeah.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
When I bought my house the previous owner left a giant picture frame. I've been taking photos of that giant picture frame in front of various things and calling it art for a while now

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't strong opinions about what makes art "art", really, I'm more interested in the "how will society deal with this and who will control how this propagates," which is why I brought up copyrights on photographs and how that was very contentious until explicit laws were written to address it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Art used to be art.

Now it's just inflation-resistant assets for the rich.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't strong opinions about what makes art "art", really, I'm more interested in the "how will society deal with this and who will control how this propagates," which is why I brought up copyrights on photographs and how that was very contentious until explicit laws were written to address it.

I wish there was more speculation on the potential societal impacts of this kind of tech. To me, AI being able to remove creatives from the process of making art, literature, music, etc seems like it could have unforeseen impacts of the kind of magnitude that the ubiquity of social media platforms has created, if not even more so. There's no way essentially automating the creation of culture can't have some kind of huge impact, for better or worse, and I'm both curious and kind of worried about what it will look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
hello i would like to buy an art, i have a budget of $5