Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
gotta toss it over your shoulder after, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/clapifyoulikeme/status/1565184398152159235?s=21

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
next steps: Potassium Iodide tablets

step after that: Prussian blue pills

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like that's where you call the NRC or something before Mr. Radon ends up like David Hahn.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Iodide tablets and chelation or ion affinity treatments are fallout treatment specific. Not gonna do anything for radon.

Radon treatment is GTFO, get it the gently caress out while you're gone, and tell your GP about your newly found elevated lung cancer risk for long term monitoring.

The lessor probably has clauses that will evict them but also OP either gonna get evicted too or moved to another unit out of caution or left to wallow in it out of neglect.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Radon just goes hog wild ruining the soft tissue in and around your lungs. It'd be a lot less dangerous if it wasn't a nice, breathable noble gas.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mustached Demon posted:

Radon just goes hog wild ruining the soft tissue in and around your lungs. It'd be a lot less dangerous if it wasn't a nice, breathable noble gas.

At least the fact that it's a noble gas means it doesn't have any biological activity and is gone as soon as you breathe it out.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

At least the fact that it's a noble gas means it doesn't have any biological activity and is gone as soon as you breathe it out.

It has that whole being much heavier than air problem though, remember to do a handstand for a few minutes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Midjack posted:

It has that whole being much heavier than air problem though, remember to do a handstand for a few minutes.

Radon's atomic weight also helps prevent it from accumulating too much, except in very poorly ventilated spaces or gravity traps

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It honestly sounds like the 19-year-old just has an irradiation fetish.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Are we talking about radon or radium here?

Radium is the one your body mistakes for calcium.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

radium was also mistaken for a competent website developer at one point :dadjoke:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Unlike, say, a short-lived iodine daughter product associated with nuclear fission. That thing's going right to your thyroid.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

I remember radon in basements being a scare when I was a kid in the 80s.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midjack posted:

I remember radon in basements being a scare when I was a kid in the 80s.

I mean, that's a real issue, lots of the eastern US has enough uranium in the soil for poorly-ventilated basements for radon to be a concern, and inspections for it when you buy a house are pretty much standard in those areas. It's a significant cause of lung cancer in the US. Not as much as smoking, but it's up there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I mean, that's a real issue, lots of the eastern US has enough uranium in the soil for poorly-ventilated basements for radon to be a concern, and inspections for it when you buy a house are pretty much standard in those areas. It's a significant cause of lung cancer in the US. Not as much as smoking, but it's up there.

It’s the leading cause of lung cancer in people who don’t smoke. Still trails behind smoking as the actual #1, though.

https://www.epa.gov/radon/health-risk-radon#head

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Phanatic posted:

Ditto the Rockies. We had a whole elaborate system of air exchangers in the full basements of the houses I grew up in to keep it from pooling and becoming an inhalation danger.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Scandinavia, too - Sweden mined some of their slate for Uranium back when they were enriching it in case they wanted a weapons program. The concentration isn't high enough for it to ever have been economical, but it's not exactly a surprise that that same slate belt is a bit of a radon source. Oh, and that slate transitions into a whole lot of granite that also offgasses just enough radon to be inconvenient.

I'm fortunate enough that all the places I've lived have been either porphyric rocks or old sea bottom, but big parts of the inland have routine radon measurements and ventilation.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Radium decays into radon, so it's both?

This is the kind of thing that happens when someone collects artifacts for the novelty, without thinking too much about why radioactive pseudoscience quackery went out of style the same way that the fad of alchemists prescribing ["snort a bunch of mercury/antimony/lead"] to cure syphilis did?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Ditto the Rockies. We had a whole elaborate system of air exchangers in the full basements of the houses I grew up in to keep it from pooling and becoming an inhalation danger.
Thorium has enough affinity for traces of it to be present in most primeval rock so radon is gonna show up wherever concrete is used as a building material, as well as anywhere the concept of "geology" applies. Which is everywhere that isn't outer space.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

silentsnack posted:

Radium decays into radon, so it's both?

This is the kind of thing that happens when someone collects artifacts for the novelty, without thinking too much about why radioactive pseudoscience quackery went out of style the same way that the fad of alchemists prescribing ["snort a bunch of mercury/antimony/lead"] to cure syphilis did?

Thorium has enough affinity for traces of it to be present in most primeval rock so radon is gonna show up wherever concrete is used as a building material, as well as anywhere the concept of "geology" applies. Which is everywhere that isn't outer space.

Does that mean you can get radon poisoning from a mildly radioactive meteorite slamming into your basement?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Does that mean you can get radon poisoning from a mildly radioactive meteorite slamming into your basement?

Chances of earning a formal Darwin probably depend on whether your basement is still basement-like or whether it gets ventilated all over the countryside by the impact, but if you really believe in yourself and put in enough effort, you can injure yourself all sorts of implausibly silly ways.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
We had to have the sellers of our house install radon mitigation before we moved in. The basement was juuuuust over the limit that was fine, so we asked that they put it in and they did. It's basically just a constant-on vacuum pump that goes to a pipe under my basement and sucks the gas out. There's a little water barometer on the pipe and as long as it's under ambient pressure, you're good.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Remember when people were paying to hang out in radon-filled tunnels to cure or protect against disease? Ah, the long-distant past. 2021 seems so far away.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Remember when people were paying to hang out in radon-filled tunnels to cure or protect against disease? Ah, the long-distant past. 2021 seems so far away.

The weird thing is that it does seems to have a symptomatic effect on a few specific chronic diseases (autoimmune arthritis, maybe?).
I'd love a proper study to see if there's anything there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The one down the road from where I grew up is called The Merry Widow :v:

There is the radiation hormesis theory, which says repeated low doses of radiation cause small amounts of damage which the body repairs and then subsequently becomes more resistant to future damage, but the sort of people pushing that the hardest are people like failed Oregon politicians who also tell you to drink your own pee.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I want to see the controlled experiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZkusjDFlS0

It’s stupid, but if people are doing it anyway, might as well collect data.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Autoimmune diseases are just weird enough that I can't conclusively rule out "a bit of radiation damage gives the immune system something better to do than attack your joints" or whatever. It's probably not a thing, but... yeah, I'd like to see a proper study.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The one down the road from where I grew up is called The Merry Widow :v:

There is the radiation hormesis theory, which says repeated low doses of radiation cause small amounts of damage which the body repairs and then subsequently becomes more resistant to future damage, but the sort of people pushing that the hardest are people like failed Oregon politicians who also tell you to drink your own pee.

Same jerk bags that whine about fluoride in water too.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

There is a town not far from here called Radium Hot Springs

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BMan posted:

There is a town not far from here called Radium Hot Springs

Yeah? I wonder what their draw is?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I don't know but they are always in hot water. :dadjoke:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

The friendly and docile rubber boa, obviously

quote:

The rubber boa has established populations around Pemberton, British Columbia,[8] Williams Lake, British Columbia,[5] Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia.[9]

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Computer viking posted:

Autoimmune diseases are just weird enough that I can't conclusively rule out "a bit of radiation damage gives the immune system something better to do than attack your joints" or whatever. It's probably not a thing, but... yeah, I'd like to see a proper study.

Well, I know they've been looking at using parasite eggs to trigger the immune system to reduce allergic reactions (since that's the actual purpose of the IgE and related stuff that cause allergies, parasite response), I believe there was some success doing that. I'd probably prefer if they had an artificial antigen setup over theoretically "killed" parasites if it went to actual treatments though for obvious reasons :barf:.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MadDogMike posted:

Well, I know they've been looking at using parasite eggs to trigger the immune system to reduce allergic reactions (since that's the actual purpose of the IgE and related stuff that cause allergies, parasite response), I believe there was some success doing that. I'd probably prefer if they had an artificial antigen setup over theoretically "killed" parasites if it went to actual treatments though for obvious reasons :barf:.

Yeah, I read about that - and that this is an approach that a) has been studied seriously, and b) seems like it may actually work, is one of the reasons I don't feel safe writing off weird radiation-induced effects offhand.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, I read about that - and that this is an approach that a) has been studied seriously, and b) seems like it may actually work, is one of the reasons I don't feel safe writing off weird radiation-induced effects offhand.

The parasite thing was even something that one of my microbiology/immunology professors mentioned in lecture last year.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There have been studies before IIRC indicating that live parasites can offer some benefits against some kinds of autoimmune issues, although there's been obvious reluctance to pursue it as a treatment.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Well, one of the things to see in Radium was Rolf, the Wizard of Radium.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2021/6/2/1_5453491.amp.html

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

might take hookworm over hayfever tbh

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Weight loss anti autoimmune worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Weight loss anti autoimmune worms

I'm honestly surprised tapeworms as a weight loss method hasn't come back into vogue from the early 1900s.

People literally took the larva concealed in a capsule.