Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

and USB-C too hopefully with decent PD capabilities - it's annoying how often gaming monitor manufacturers halfass USB-C support (for laptops)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A couple other news items:

LG announced a bendable monitor using the 42" W-OLED panel. Again, it seems very niche. (edit: Oddly, LG is simultaneously marketing this as a desktop computer display and as a TV. They never call it a monitor, but they only show it doing monitor things)

Gigabyte also showed off a new desk-mounted arm that will be available as an option for the M32U and M28U, among others. It looks... bad. It's just a single straight arm that can only swivel and tilt forward. So the panel can only move in an arc instead of straight up and down or forward and backward. Who thought this was a good idea?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 1, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Samsung has finally unveiled their QD-OLED 21:9 monitor, now officially titled the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8: https://www.techpowerup.com/298421/samsung-electronics-unveils-odyssey-oled-g8-gaming-monitor-at-ifa-2022

Key differences from the AW3423DW include the lack of g-sync ultimate (may be a plus), HDMI 2.1 support, integrated smart TV functionality with IoT bullshit, and for some mystifying reason, the use of micro HDMI and mini DP instead of full-sized connectors. Seriously, what the hell.

I've heard Samsung was planning this, but it really does seem like they intend to add smart TV stuff to all of their high-end monitors going forward. This isn't completely pointless if you intend to watch media on your monitor. A lot of streaming services heavily gimp their web streaming, presumably for anti-piracy reasons (even though it has zero impact on piracy). So having a built-in way to access non-gimped, 4K HDR streaming services is actually kind of nice. I just hope it doesn't increase the cost too much. Hopefully this thing is still cheaper than the AW3423DW since there won't be a g-sync ultimate module.

lol wut

Samsung why

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

A couple other news items:

LG announced a bendable monitor using the 42" W-OLED panel. Again, it seems very niche.

Gigabyte also showed off a new desk-mounted arm that will be available as an option for the M32U and M28U, among others. It looks... bad. It's just a single straight arm that can only swivel and tilt forward. So the panel can only move in an arc instead of straight up and down or forward and backward. Who thought this was a good idea?

You don't understand, it's a 4K arm. You couldn't possibly use a 1080p arm with a 4K monitor.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The Samsung QD-OLED TV is really tempting since it's down to about 2100$ for the 65'' model, but i'm already on an LG OLED that is about 2-3 years old and think it's too soon for the upgrade but it looks so nice...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

infraboy posted:

The Samsung QD-OLED TV is really tempting since it's down to about 2100$ for the 65'' model, but i'm already on an LG OLED that is about 2-3 years old and think it's too soon for the upgrade but it looks so nice...

Maybe wait for the new phosphorescent blue oled material to find its way into retail QD-OLED panels, probably in 2024's models. That might be better enough than the C9/CX to be worth paying a premium price for.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

shrike82 posted:

and USB-C too hopefully with decent PD capabilities - it's annoying how often gaming monitor manufacturers halfass USB-C support (for laptops)

Dell just needs to start throwing the KVM capabilities of their ultrawide Ultrasharps into the Alienware ultrawide line.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Maybe wait for the new phosphorescent blue oled material to find its way into retail QD-OLED panels, probably in 2024's models. That might be better enough than the C9/CX to be worth paying a premium price for.

My b6 from around 2015-2016 actually had some burn in effect, I feel partially to blame though for not peeling the plastic on the back, watching news too much in vivid mode, and never using the pixel refresher. Its all screwy trying to display anything yellow or reddish.

Newer BX panel from 2 years ago seems better with pixel shift, I removed all the plastic this time and it doesnt get as hot as the older one. Also not really watching news on it but the logo dimming probably helps. Having experienced OLED its hard to go back to a cheapo TV.

Afaik QD OLEDs dont have the polarizing filter so the panels dont have to be driven hard to generate brightness so i’m even less worried about burn in effects. The S95b is barely more money than the LG too, ill probably stay disciplined though and see what Samsung releases the 2nd version.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the pixel refresher stuff on the Alienware is interesting - it goes automatically if i turn my monitor off after using it for (i think) >4 hours at a shot

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TFT Central posted their review of the Asus PG42UQ: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg42uq-oled

This is Asus' 42" 4K monitor using LG's latest 42" W-OLED panel. Unlike previous monitors that have repackaged a TV OLED into a monitor, this one actually has some interesting unique features. One of these is the "Uniform Brightness" mode that disables the ABL altogether. You get brightness topping off at around 200 nits, which is the best full-screen brightness we've seen from an LG OLED panel, I believe. (maybe the G2 gets there too?) This is no-doubt thanks to the huge heatsink attached to the back of the thing. Unfortunately, the calibration in both SDR and HDR seems not great. The built-in sRGB mode mostly suffers from a wonky gamma curve, which can be corrected by doing your own calibration or downloading an icc profile. The HDR mode suffers from... a lot of things. The EOTF curve seems too dark across the brightness range, color temperature is all over the place across the different modes, and color accuracy isn't great either. The HDR Cinema mode seems pretty usable on the new firmware though, thankfully.

Overall it seems okay-ish? HDR peak brightness is a bit higher than the LG C2, the heatsink should help reduce the risk of burn-in, and the uniform brightness mode should make it better for everyday computer use.

infraboy posted:

My b6 from around 2015-2016 actually had some burn in effect, I feel partially to blame though for not peeling the plastic on the back, watching news too much in vivid mode, and never using the pixel refresher. Its all screwy trying to display anything yellow or reddish.

Newer BX panel from 2 years ago seems better with pixel shift, I removed all the plastic this time and it doesnt get as hot as the older one. Also not really watching news on it but the logo dimming probably helps. Having experienced OLED its hard to go back to a cheapo TV.

Afaik QD OLEDs dont have the polarizing filter so the panels dont have to be driven hard to generate brightness so i’m even less worried about burn in effects. The S95b is barely more money than the LG too, ill probably stay disciplined though and see what Samsung releases the 2nd version.

QD-OLED works by using quantum dots to convert blue light to red and green, which is much more efficient than whatever LG does.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 1, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

infraboy posted:

I feel partially to blame though for not peeling the plastic on the back

you loving monster

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

codo27 posted:

you loving monster
Speaking of which is there any danger in keeping the wrapping on the front until/if it starts coming off on it's own? Picture looks great and I've kept it on in case some idiot guest touches the screen before I can bat their hand away.

BTW this is an LG 32GP850

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 1, 2022

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

and for some mystifying reason, the use of micro HDMI and mini DP instead of full-sized connectors. Seriously, what the hell.

Am I remembering right that micro HDMI is a notoriously fragile connector, and they have a high failure rate in laptops? Does mini DP suffer similar issues? Admittedly, laptops tend to have things plugged/unplugged far more frequently than a desktop or monitor would, which I assume would put a lot more stress/wear on the connector, but still seems like a horrible choice.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

codo27 posted:

you loving monster

In my defense I didnt notice the back peel for a long time since it wasnt easily visible, peeled it off my next TV though.

Peel all the plastic since you definitely dont want heat trapped, especially for OLEDs.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Death On Toast posted:

Am I remembering right that micro HDMI is a notoriously fragile connector, and they have a high failure rate in laptops? Does mini DP suffer similar issues? Admittedly, laptops tend to have things plugged/unplugged far more frequently than a desktop or monitor would, which I assume would put a lot more stress/wear on the connector, but still seems like a horrible choice.

Mini DP has been kinda finicky/can have signal drop out if it gets knocked by accident on my dad's old Lenovo T540p but it took a couple of years of unplugging and plugging to make it that way. Need to get him a new cable to make sure it's not the laptop port. That laptop is really old by now.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any IPS die-hards who have tried a VA panel and been happy with it? I'm even open to (gasp) curved. I'm always tempted by the color & contrast but am worried about the viewing angles especially on a 32" that's so close to my face.

Trying to replace my VG27A because the lack of a source button or macro is driving me loving insane, I have to switch between HDMI and DP multiple times a day because of my setup, and it's like 9 presses & moves with the lovely little joystick. Unfortunately a KVM doesn't help because it's two different formats in this case (I already have a KVM on the DP side)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Trying to replace my VG27A because the lack of a source button or macro is driving me loving insane, I have to switch between HDMI and DP multiple times a day because of my setup, and it's like 9 presses & moves with the lovely little joystick. Unfortunately a KVM doesn't help because it's two different formats in this case (I already have a KVM on the DP side)

Have you tried ControlMyMonitor for switching the input?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Some of the Samsung Odyssey VA monitors are good enough to be worth considering. They have downsides, like a ridiculous curve and extremely questionable QA for monitors made in current year, but they do have some of the best response times of any LCD and far better contrast than IPS if your head is in the right place. They might actually be just right for you, because the 1000R curve means that the ideal head position is 1 meter from the monitor.

IDK if they have one button source switching, but Dr Video Games 0031 has one and can answer that I'm sure.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I got a Neo G7 this week. It's more a three button source switch, but at least I don't have to navigate separate menus like on my old Dell.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Any IPS die-hards who have tried a VA panel and been happy with it?

Do you have terrible posture and move around to various offset reclined positions throughout your day? VA looks like poo poo from there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

Any IPS die-hards who have tried a VA panel and been happy with it? I'm even open to (gasp) curved. I'm always tempted by the color & contrast but am worried about the viewing angles especially on a 32" that's so close to my face.

My first three LCDs were TN displays, then I went to a quantum dot IPS with a very wide gamut, and now I'm on a Samsung "Neo QLED" (VA). The VA has the best overall picture quality of all the monitors I've used. The colors don't get quite as saturated as my IPS (when not clamped to sRGB), but the black levels are so much better that it's not even funny, even with local dimming turned off. And most of the time your color gamut is clamped anyway.

The problem with VA panels is the response times, particularly in the rise times of near-black colors. This results in what people call "VA smear," where dark colors will smear across the screen when moving. Text can be a problem too. Samsung has solved this issue with their high-end VA panels, but nobody else has. Samsung's 240hz panels can have other problems though ("scanlines" and VRR backlight flickering are two big ones, though the latter was largely solved in their new 4K panels). And they can be quite expensive, so they're not easy to recommend.

I have not been too bothered by the viewing angles on my Neo G7. Perhaps I'm used to it due to years of TN panels, but I can shift around in my seat and without noticing any real change in picture quality. The exception is for bright highlights on dark backgrounds, which is when the mini LED backlight can become apparent while viewing it off-axis. This wouldn't be a problem on a model without local dimming.

I wouldn't recommend a VA unless you're willing to splash out on a Neo G7 or something. I previously called the Neo G7 the best LCD on the market despite its flaws, and after about six weeks of use, my opinion of it has gotten even better by a little. But it's hard to justify such a high price ($1100), and the cheaper 1440p samsung VAs don't have enough pros to outweigh the cons in my opinion. You're better off just getting a normal IPS if you just want something midrange.

Oh, and yeah, input switching is a three-button affair. The OSD controls are four curved buttons in a circle with a round button in the middle. Push the left button to bring up the input menu, push up or down to switch to the other input (there are only three total inputs), then push the middle button to select the new input. It's reasonably fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 1, 2022

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Have you tried ControlMyMonitor for switching the input?

I'm on linux but the command line ddcutils can't seem to find any controllable capabilities from the ASUS, even though they detect it properly. Might not be supported I guess.

K8.0 posted:

Some of the Samsung Odyssey VA monitors are good enough to be worth considering.

I wouldn't recommend a VA unless you're willing to splash out on a Neo G7 or something.

Thanks! This basically confirms where I was leaning... The super high end samsung VAs might work but if I want to stay in the $400-600 range max, better to stick with IPS for now. I was using IPS from the first days of the Dell 2000FP (which cost about as much then as the Samsungs do now), and frankly I don't know if I've ever seen an IPS that had that uniform of a backlight & viewing angles since then. It just wasn't very bright.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I ordered an Aorus FI32U from Amazon warehouse as "acceptable" condition for just over 500$. Worst comes to worst if there is anything wrong with the screen I can return is relatively hassle free. I've generally had zero issues getting things from Amazon warehouse though so i'm pretty confident. https://www.amazon.com/AORUS-Monito...cs%2C131&sr=1-1

I know the M32U is also basically the same panel but they are also about the same price.

There really aren't many Flat-4k-IPS-32'' high refresh rate monitors to choose from surprisingly, there is an LG model that hovers around 1000$ and a really expensive Asus model.

I've been using an LG VA 32'' 1440p 144hz monitor the last couple of years and while pretty nice for games I feel like the computer I've spent too much money on deserves a screen upgrade. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLGR2PN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm on linux but the command line ddcutils can't seem to find any controllable capabilities from the ASUS, even though they detect it properly. Might not be supported I guess.

I tested ControlMyMonitor on my VG27A and it managed to switch the input. So should be possible if ddcutils starts supporting it at some point. VCP code 60 is for input select with possible values 0, 15, 17, 18.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Saukkis posted:

I tested ControlMyMonitor on my VG27A and it managed to switch the input. So should be possible if ddcutils starts supporting it at some point. VCP code 60 is for input select with possible values 0, 15, 17, 18.

Hot drat, I can read & set that VCP even though I can't query the capabilities! Now I can automate executing that command when I start & stop VMs that do GPU passthrough! This is awesome because I'm otherwise reasonably happy with my VG27A, you saved me a bunch of money.

EDIT: Yep, got libvirt to run the input switching automatically when I start & stop VMs. Now I feel like an idiot for putting up with it manually for so long. Also the ddcutils in arch linux is way more up to date (not surprising) and works fine with the VG27A, it's the debian/ubuntil one that's old.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm having a weird issue with my Odyssey Neo G7 that I wonder if anyone has any insight on. While using HDMI 2.1, my resolution and refresh rate options become extremely limited. This is all I get:

It's stuck at 165Hz, too, which is annoying for when I want to watch 24 fps movies. I have all the options available to me when using DisplayPort, and I can get the full range of options to return for HDMI 2.1 after doing a full round of DDU and driver reinstalling, but then I'll lose them again on my next reboot. The cable used doesn't matter, and this happens when using all the different color depth and range modes. This seems like it's probably a driver issue, but it's only happening with the Neo G7. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

edit: And I should add that I have no ability to add custom resolutions in the nvidia control panel or CRU.

I figured out how to fix it. In the nvidia control panel, make sure your scaling is set to happen on your display and not the GPU. When set to GPU scaling, almost all of your resolution and refresh rate options go away. I remember setting it to GPU scaling so I could try to get integer scaling to work, but the nvidia control panel refuses to expose that option, probably because it won't recognize the full range of resolution options. Nice drivers, nvidia.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 2, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not that it matters at this point since I already got the Neo Geo 7, but all that discussion about refresh rate reminded me that I wondered what the actual idea was behind going from 165 -> 240Hz, which I gather would be the Geo 8? Is that actually noticeable?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The Joe Man posted:

Speaking of which is there any danger in keeping the wrapping on the front until/if it starts coming off on it's own? Picture looks great and I've kept it on in case some idiot guest touches the screen before I can bat their hand away.

BTW this is an LG 32GP850

Oh my gently caress peel the plastic off, the mental image is making my skin try to crawl off of my body

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

tehinternet posted:

Oh my gently caress peel the plastic off, the mental image is making my skin try to crawl off of my body
I'm just gonna peel one of the corners a bit to leave a lil' flap (for venting)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looks like Gigabyte is clearing out its inventory

48” FO48U 4K OLED Monitor/tv $800, $600 after mail in rebate

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824716003

E:typo

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

48-inch. :ssh:

The FO48U is kinda lovely, if I recall correctly. It has a really aggressive ABL and it is pretty dim overall.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Generally I don’t think a TV screen size can ever be too big but 48’’ for a monitor on your desk is quite massive at normal sitting distances. I think an argument could be made for 42’’ though.

I think that gigabyte model uses an older OLED panel and is quite susceptible to burn in as well, still a strong deal.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I know the 'P' in the model means that it's a 'Professional' monitor for Dell. What does that actually mean? I'm trying to decide between a couple of their 32" 4k monitors.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-32-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-p3223qe/apd/210-beqz/monitors-monitor-accessories The P3223QE (£470 after discount)

Is it just the fact it comes with USB-C and has a few more ports? If so, I really don't care. Specs don't seem anything special.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sad Panda posted:

I know the 'P' in the model means that it's a 'Professional' monitor for Dell. What does that actually mean? I'm trying to decide between a couple of their 32" 4k monitors.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-32-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-p3223qe/apd/210-beqz/monitors-monitor-accessories The P3223QE (£470 after discount)

Is it just the fact it comes with USB-C and has a few more ports? If so, I really don't care. Specs don't seem anything special.

There's a lot of variation but the P series often have better/more adjustable stands and accessories like USB hubs built in, like you mentioned.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They may also come with a better panel bin (less backlight bleed, ips glow, etc). Though Dell still seems to like to ship wide-gamut monitors without an sRGB mode, as seen in the RTINGS review of the P3223DE: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/p3223de (the 1440p version of the monitor linked above)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M32U is $610 at Newegg after a coupon code: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012042
And the M28U is $480 after the coupon code: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012040

Both are new all-time lows. high-refresh 4K is getting pretty affordable.

I've been playing around with upscaling, and while doing basic resolution upscaling on my older 1080p and 1440p monitors always resulted in horrible, blurry images, doing it on my Neo G7 results in a much better image. A native-resolution display would still look better in games, but not that much. I think the higher pixel count just makes the upscaling work better. I wouldn't be surprised if a 1440p image looked nearly indistinguishable on a 27"/28" 4K display compared to a native-res display.

With so many games supporting DLSS and FSR now, this is becoming more of a moot point, but there are still some games like Elden Ring where basic resolution upscaling is your only option (ER doesn't even have a resolution scale slider). I think this makes worrying about whether your GPU can drive 4K a lot less of a concern than I've been making it out to be.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 3, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The M32U is $610 at Newegg after a coupon code: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012042
And the M28U is $480 after the coupon code: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012040

Both are new all-time lows. high-refresh 4K is getting pretty affordable.

I own a bunch of Gigabyte hardware, and have to admit to finding the M28U kind of tempting, but it's kind of embarrassing how little effort they are putting into their English ad copy:

Gigabyte posted:

It's time
The last mile for your gaming system

As an unseen player, monitor is often being underestimated. The truth is monitors form as a synergistic effect and bring out the best performance of PC components. GIGABYTE gaming monitors offer the ultimate specifications and quality, users can truly enjoy upscale performance without the need for extravagance.

Like, Google Translate level gibberish.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte G24F 2 for $130: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...2&source=region (edit: On Amazon, too.)

24" 1080p 180Hz. Word of mouth is that the panel in this is pretty good, but there haven't been any good reviews of this model to verify this. Still though, that's dirt cheap for a high-refresh 1080p IPS.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 5, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Costco started carrying the S95B TV, the 5 year warranty they add is kind of appealing but it apparently doesn’t cover burn-in. The QD OLED shouldnt have an problem but part of me feels like it hasnt been around long enough and I have yet to see one put through a screen stress test.

I’ll probably get one towards the end of the month regardless, only thing really stopping me is an injury preventing me from lifting something even a little heavy for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've finally found a use case for the USB hubs that come default with most monitors these days - plugging my bluetooth and 2.4 adapters into the monitor hub seems to extend the range versus having them plugged into a mini PC