Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

From the leak I remember a major frustration was changing production method only see my economy crater. Turns out lack of upstream resources or lack of skilled labor was to blame and downgrading would fix things.

Would be great if there’s a map or alert icon to this effect rather than the pink box you can only see hovering over a province saying inputs are unfulfilled for a factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

In the stream they were really really struggling with the interface too, with wiz constantly having to remind them where to click and what menu things are in. It's quite possible the "micro" for production methods and such isn't as bad as the stream made it seem.

This was honestly more stream brain than anything else, I think. It was less reminding about where the button is and remining that we should be doing this thing because streaming takes up 80% of your brainpower, leaving not much for the game.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

guidoanselmi posted:

From the leak I remember a major frustration was changing production method only see my economy crater. Turns out lack of upstream resources or lack of skilled labor was to blame and downgrading would fix things.

Would be great if there’s a map or alert icon to this effect rather than the pink box you can only see hovering over a province saying inputs are unfulfilled for a factory.

These are warnings for this when changing PM, as well as alerts in the important actions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

These are warnings for this when changing PM, as well as alerts in the important actions.

As seen in the stream, the user has to actually read alerts and warnings for them to be helpful...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Streaming, or recording live, gives you disadvantage on all perception checks.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

As seen in the stream, the user has to actually read alerts and warnings for them to be helpful...

At that point, you cannot blame the devs.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
This is why we should replace the streams with elaborate forum lps where people can get together and vote for exactly what they want Wiz to do. it could be like a virtual parliament...

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I noticed that the devs were struggling to pick out the "relevant" nations interested in the Indonesia region when planning the Brunei intervention, since there were over a dozen local nobodies mixed into the list. Wouldn't it make more sense to list the flags in nation rank order so the player can immediately see who the most influential/dangerous potential participants are?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I also really can’t wait to see gimmick runs by YouTubers. Hopefully it’s on LetsGameItOut’s radar.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

buglord posted:

I also really can’t wait to see gimmick runs by YouTubers. Hopefully it’s on LetsGameItOut’s radar.

Oh god, that fucker's gonna make Stalin look like a liberal.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The sound design seems pretty good. Lots of satisfying clicking noises and stuff

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

StashAugustine posted:

Excited to form a communist paradise as the Papal States

I am extraordinarily here for Early Church-style theocratic communism led by the primus inter pares with the big hat. I don't care how many hierarchies you flatten, someone needs to wear a particularly fancy hat.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Takanago posted:

This is why we should replace the streams with elaborate forum lps where people can get together and vote for exactly what they want Wiz to do. it could be like a virtual parliament...

I feel like such a LP might benefit very well from being set in the birthplace of democracy, Greece!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

I feel like such a LP might benefit very well from being set in the birthplace of democracy, Greece!
There's actually a whole lot of interesting and relevant decisions that could be put to a forum vote in Victoria 3. Even things like what kind of factory to build, or which general to promote could influence the balance of power of various interest groups.

If ever there were a time to revisit the glorious mess that was Crete, it would be in this game.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It'd be interesting because Goons would have to form their parties out of different interest groups and horsetrade instead of just roleplaying as the most perfect communist.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

It'd be interesting because Goons would have to form their parties out of different interest groups and horsetrade instead of just roleplaying as the most perfect communist.
The dynamic I'm imagining is that Goons would be a weird upper house and they'd have to start off choosing a non-marginalized interest group to side with. They'd have to wait for the trade unionists to form to actually work together to RP as any flavor of communist.

It also wouldn't necessarily be easy to get the country to shift so that the in-game lower house has any representation to speak of, especially if there's any opposition on the forums.

Honestly I think the gameplay mechanics in Vic3 would be perfect for it. Suspiciously perfect. I wonder if this was Wiz's long game the whole time- join Paradox and force them to make a Victoria 3 that would be perfect for recapturing the spirit of the amazing Crete LP.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Stellaris frustrates me with the need to give out obvious orders. Like any mining or research space facility that can be built should be built. I understand all of the buildings that can be upgraded should be upgraded cause even if you don't have enough people to fill them they raise the productivity of people already there. There are maintenance considerations but I never feel like I'm making a choice there, just cookie clicking. From what I've seen Victoria 3 doesn't have this issue and there's automatic expansion button for industries that you want to expand indefinitely.

I tend to feel like anything you can completely automate has a good chance of being cruft that could stand to be removed from the game entirely.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I've honestly thought before that Victoria 2 could have made for a good British parliamentary LP - goons have control of the greatest and most powerful empire in the world at the dawn of an era of new possibilities. What will they do with it? Could have been an interesting contrast from something like Crete or Azerbaijan where they scrabbled upwards from tiny power to major imperial contender and instead simply started with all the power in the world to gently caress up or direct into weird social projects or internal squabbles with each other as they saw fit.

With Victoria 3's increased emphasis on tending one's social garden, such a thing would be even more potentially interesting if the game lives up to its promise.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

One thing I noticed in the stream is that production method micro has a large potential to be the new annoying micro. It looks so easy to forget to change production methods, to change too much, and generally it looks like it will suck up a lot of time despite having fairly optimal solutions for each situation. It would be nice to have a little automation there, have an AI you can mostly trust to adjust production methods based on your local resource prices. Do you have enough affordable iron to switch from wood to iron construction, then it does so, otherwise it jumps back down to wood.

No other vicky game had this level of granular per-factroy micro management, it's cool in theory when you have a tiny country with 10 buildings, but I can't imagine managing a world spanning empire's exact production methods. Maybe they'll introduce more easy one-click options. Like to convert only the amount you currently have the resources for, or to randomly convert 50% or 25% or so on. Because right now its either all, per state, or per-factory.

It's definitely annoying ime for military stuff and switching armored trains on or off.

Especially if you just want one command to be the ones with tanks while everyone else are trench infantry.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Pre-ordered because I am not a coward.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm so bitter that they pulled the game pass release

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I was going to wait on this to avoid the inevitable day 1 jank but it's my birthday and someone bought me the preorder as a gift so I guess my conviction to not preorder this time got overturned :v:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
That stream go me super excited....

To see a steam run by a decent streamer like quill18 or mordred viking. Wonder when those will start coming out.

No offense wiz, but three people talking over each other isn't the best streaming experience.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1565369138658385920

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
This image reminds me, it was very hosed up for Paradox to include trains in both "the best of times" and "the worst of times". That's some real both sides bullshit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This image reminds me, it was very hosed up for Paradox to include trains in both "the best of times" and "the worst of times". That's some real both sides bullshit.

I mean I can think of a few groups of people on the wrong end of 19th century imperialism where seeing trains marked the worst of times.

e: edited to be clearer.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 1, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean I can think of a few groups where seeing trains marked the worst of times.

Not funny.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

I meant colonialism to be clear, like the transcontinental railroad.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean I can think of a few groups where seeing trains marked the worst of times.

lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

not hoi4 so doesn't count as godwins law :colbert:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

If you preorder you get remastered versions of the Victoria 2 soundtrack. gently caress I'm going to do it

quote:

Victoria 2 soundtrack

:sigh:

Oh well, still excited for the game.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Arbite posted:

:sigh:

Oh well, still excited for the game.

Did you want the Vicky 1 soundtrack?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ilitarist posted:

I'm much more worried about indirect control disappearing in inventions and capitalists deciding to build useless stuff than war becoming handshfree.

They should add twitch integration for Laissez Faire economies where the chat can vote for what awful factories get built and where.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Yeah...

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

VostokProgram posted:

https://youtu.be/XZp4wfAECrg

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I love falalan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is blasting my nostalgia and desire to commit imperialism hard.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Pre-ordered because I am not a coward.

Excellent post+avatar combo :D

I'm probably gonna wait, personally. But that's mostly because I have a heap of other games to play right now, so I don't mind waiting a bit and seeing what the rest of you think about it first.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Paradox sure loved their Dies Irae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Major Isoor posted:

Excellent post+avatar combo :D

I'm probably gonna wait, personally. But that's mostly because I have a heap of other games to play right now, so I don't mind waiting a bit and seeing what the rest of you think about it first.

Buahaha!