Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Scotland is actually extremely diverse, since only 62% identify as Scottish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Centrist egirl Supertanskiii is having a wild time on Twitter, she just said that the jews did 9/11.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nice that everyone is having a good time

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Never mind, she said it in 2019. The left under corbyn really were anti-semites.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
i think it's time to apologise to keith -supertankie3 (hates fascists, russia, and the left, but she repeats herself)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the private plan to solve the energy crisis, at a glance

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the energy middleman guy is like, hrm you know what we need one state organization to do all the purchasing. no, i won't follow that thought to any kind of logical conclusion, what do you take me for - the government needs to step in and protect my profit.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
insulate britain were entirely 100% correct

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1565234015069769729

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
it's called strong leadership

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

so many people are going to die therell be a cutesy neologisms for them

blexit for bleak exit, as in "mi da took the blexit last week, he's up there now with nan who died of covid last year".

e: the easiest way to prevent energy rationing is to let the market sort it out

no need to ration when a lightbulb costs hundred quid a week

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
there is no possible way this winter could kill as many people as covid did

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we have this tendency to treat it as a binary i don't and have never really understood. we will need to be dealing both with our new seasonal covid normal (haven't cleared a winter without a new major variant yet fwiw) and the energy crisis all at once.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

gonadic io posted:

there is no possible way this winter could kill as many people as covid did

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CoolCab posted:

the private plan to solve the energy crisis, at a glance

Love how they are planning on giving money to debt advisory charities, like someone is going to be able to advise your way out of having to pay an extra grand a year not to freeze

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

CoolCab posted:

we have this tendency to treat it as a binary i don't and have never really understood. we will need to be dealing both with our new seasonal covid normal (haven't cleared a winter without a new major variant yet fwiw) and the energy crisis all at once.

it's this. disentangling pandemic deaths from energy crisis deaths will probably be too difficult for anyone to bother to do, since packing more people closer together indoors is a tried and true way to both stay warm and spread airborne viruses

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i suppose my point is a counter for when people say "so many people are going to die this winter the gov has to do something or there'll be riots" or whatever. two hundred thousand people are avoidably dead and we're just trucking on as normal.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mass death doesn't seem to bother people as much as mass misery

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

MikeCrotch posted:

Love how they are planning on giving money to debt advisory charities, like someone is going to be able to advise your way out of having to pay an extra grand a year not to freeze

right, it's almost like all three of them will ensure the energy companies get every penny before people start defaulting, identify in advance who is likely to default and also provide a bunch of support to the people who will ultimately structure their debt to pay them back once they default. these are all urgent.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

extreme hardship on middle classes who have “bought” into the system is a new and interesting dynamic which we didn’t really have during covid as people with money could just outsource their exposure risk / WFH

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you can even be cynical and say that the energy companies are probably gaining functionally nothing over this period with an additional surcharge on prepayment meters given more or less everyone on it will have bills they can't afford regardless and as such won't ultimately be buying that much power anyway. it's nakedly unfair but we're talking like i don't know well under 5% of total bills, it will do nothing.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

gonadic io posted:

insulate britain were entirely 100% correct

yeah but that one guy who was interviewed didn't have insulation in his house, therefore they are hypocrites

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it dont matter posted:

yeah but that one guy who was interviewed didn't have insulation in his house, therefore they are hypocrites

wasn't the point to get the government to pay for it though?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MikeCrotch posted:

i advise you to get three more jobs

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1565335035183796225?s=20&t=rv_6xje_TVQkrZgcWRhtBA

if i'm not extraordinarily mistaken every electric kettle is exactly as efficient, ie almost perfectly. it's extraordinarily difficult to build an electric kettle that wastes energy, it's just a resistive heater submerged in water.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

CoolCab posted:

https://twitter.com/eiecampaign/status/1565335035183796225?s=20&t=rv_6xje_TVQkrZgcWRhtBA

if i'm not extraordinarily mistaken every electric kettle is exactly as efficient, ie almost perfectly. it's extraordinarily difficult to build an electric kettle that wastes energy, it's just a resistive heater submerged in water.

I think you can gain efficiency with timing the heating right?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

genericnick posted:

I think you can gain efficiency with timing the heating right?

maybe and insulation? neither are going to save you a tenner a year tho

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Instant water pots ensure you only heat exactly the amount you use and you can dial them to less than boiling for e.g. coffee

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As if people will be able to afford warm tea soon lol.
You'll be considered lucky if you get room temperature water.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Instant water pots ensure you only heat exactly the amount you use and you can dial them to less than boiling for e.g. coffee
At current prices, this would save the average Brit a little over £6/year, assuming they make all their coffee at home. If they aren't, it'd probably be orders of magnitude more effective to stop buying it elsewhere.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

CoolCab posted:

Depends how much water you put in it. I bought an energy monitoring plug which measured how many units were used by different appliances. If I boil 200ml of water 4x a day using my day rate (rarely boil kettle in night rate hours I have economy 7 but I don't make coffee at 1am! It costs me 4.5p per day averaged over a couple of weeks. Before I would fill the 1.7litre kettle right up (even though I knew it cost more I now had the numbers to prove it)
Plug thing has paid for itself on 4 months just in kettle use behaviour change. Obviously if you have more than 1 person at home and you do big tea rounds every time it won't save you that.
BTW I fixed my rates just before everything went pear-shaped so your savings maybe even more if you change your use of kettle.
Likewise I found my 'control centre' or my chair where I WFH and have 1 or 2 laptops TV, satellite box and lamp with 2 LED bulbs costs me about 25p per 24 hours and switching things off instead of standby saves bugger all but incurs pain in the rear end waiting for things to cold reboot during the day.

Sorry for all the typos phone posting with fat fingers.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So the FT doesn't consider Northern Ireland as part of the UK now.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

happyhippy posted:

Nobody this side of the Irish sea does hth

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

happyhippy posted:

It never was.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

i say swears online posted:

it's not a good troll because any list like that should have had st augustine

my adult catholic convert friend who is now a priest fuckin loves that guy

Surely not convert to Catholicism from Anglicanism?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its funny that the UK has so completely obscured and mystified government to the point we're now just all hoping that the blind historical processes will take hold and do something

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

TACD posted:

i advise you to get three more jobs

poo poo never thought of that. Money well spent!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i just want to say the thread title makes me laugh every time i see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

its funny that the UK has so completely obscured and mystified government to the point we're now just all hoping that the blind historical processes will take hold and do something
the financial times want communism