Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Trying to figure the fights put blind is a lot more fun imo. And honestly in dungeons there usually isn't really anything to explain that can't be sightread--at least not past ARR. The combination of memorable enough for people to be able to explain it, deadly enough that it's a problem if you fail, and obscure enough you can't figure it out after seeing it once is just a design they've rightfully moved away from over time in dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...and I guess catch more animals cause the basic nets and the game saying I couldn't catch the poo poo I wanted drove me off. God, why do we need so many vines? Is Tataru trying to revive Vine?

Couldn't catch it as in not even being able to try or the animal remained unaware/ran away? The later is annoying but it is what it is, the former may be because you're trying to catch M or L animals with the S net. You'll get the bigger net recipes with rank levels. Yeah you need so drat many of the net mats lol

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 1, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Shinjobi posted:

I haven't been tackling the harder stuff. For the most part it's just MSQ dungeons where I'm the only person going in blind. Haven't had a ton of major problems through a lot of this, but when I do take the time to ask if there are gimmicks I should be aware of people just handwave it away. For low difficulty dungeons this isn't a huge deal. I just don't see any signs that communication is going to magically get better as I advance.

Yeah, I can and do read guides. If I'm confused about a death I take in any organized fight, and no one explains how I screwed up (coin flip that this even happens), I'll look it up on my own later and figure it out. I just wish I had success asking in advance about a lot of these fights.

you might be over thinking it.

a lot of people enjoy not getting spoiled on a mechanic in a fight they're new to for dungeons & normal fights, so in general, people don't mention mechanics to look for unless they're particularly confusing or inconsistent.

and even if no one is new, people just don't usually talk much in dungeons/normals. people don't really communicate much because tbh it's just not that big of a deal at that level of difficulty! and we're all socially anxious nerds

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All I'm saying is I died to a stupid demon wall because while I dodged his highlighted moves he pushed my rear end into a death pit and it drove me nuts. Did nothing to change the overall run, or even the fight itself, but I said a cuss at my computer and I don't wanna do that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The true raiding experience to is hop into a story required raid blind and die 3+ times per fight because you have no idea wtf is happening but trying your best anyway.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just hate that you can’t set a full 24 hour schedule for island crafting, only however many hours you have left until reset. Anyone who can only play late is unfairly screwed on ever getting an efficiency chain going.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regalingualius posted:

I just hate that you can’t set a full 24 hour schedule for island crafting, only however many hours you have left until reset. Anyone who can only play late is unfairly screwed on ever getting an efficiency chain going.

You can set a schedule for future days in advance :ssh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Shinjobi posted:

All I'm saying is I died to a stupid demon wall because while I dodged his highlighted moves he pushed my rear end into a death pit and it drove me nuts. Did nothing to change the overall run, or even the fight itself, but I said a cuss at my computer and I don't wanna do that.

For that one in particular, he does at times a roomwide knockback from the centre of his hitbox. If you're too far to the side, or too far from him, and can propel you off the edge.

You're probably not going to get explanations for bosses like that ahead of time from party members. Even if they were trying to be helpful, there's a good chance they entirely forgot it had a knockback attack (I sure did) until they saw it casting an ability called Repel.

And no one except you cared that you died. It's just a thing that happens. If you must know how to avoid deaths or tricks like that, you will have to read up on them ahead of time.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It’s okay it’s pretty funny when people die like this
That’s also why people don’t bother explaining stuff in dungeons

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It does sound like that, but I'd say having only 2 animals is also pretty bad :v:

Are there any preferred animals to have for their produce? Or can I just have rare animals for funsies and name them all after NPCs so when Tataru comes back to the island she's weirded out by the alligator named Estinien.

It's okay to have lots of rare animals, as you'll probably produce more than you need anyway and having variety is a boon. Even grabbing every single rare spawn won't fill up all 20 slots afaik. With that said if you're looking to fill out, I recommend milk, fleece, claws, and eggs for things to look to get more of, as they are used in recipes with a "wide spread" of different categories, so you can cover a lot of bases. These are initial impressions though, and people who are farther along than I am may have better advice.

Regalingualius posted:

I may be misunderstanding what you mean, but you can absolutely set up a schedule for the full week, and the next week.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Welp, must have missed that in all of the tutorials when I first got to that point. :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It even helpfully shows you material totals you need for the schedule you've set up, the total you have, and if you have a deficit.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Red Metal posted:

if ppl aren't telling you the trick to a fight, it's probably because they don't remember the trick, if there even is any. a lot of fights boil down to "prioritize adds, don't stand in the bad"

This is also true. There's a bunch of dungeons and bosses and several of them get run pretty rarely by people, and I definitely don't remember most dungeon boss gimmicks until they happen.

Hell, even the new current dungeons I barely remember the gimmicks until they're happening..

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, it's cool cause it lets you gather everything one day and then have the workshop ready for the week, perfect for people with more narrow schedules.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

It does sound like that, but I'd say having only 2 animals is also pretty bad :v:

Are there any preferred animals to have for their produce? Or can I just have rare animals for funsies and name them all after NPCs so when Tataru comes back to the island she's weirded out by the alligator named Estinien.

With the randomness of demand no one animal leaving should be more valuable than another. Going all in on one forces you into a specific selection of exports, having a diverse farm gives you all options. That said, I'm pretty heavy into fang and claw producers ATM.

As for pure profit potential, the granary rare materials are worth more than farm materials.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Arist posted:

You can set a schedule for future days in advance :ssh:

2 weekly resets worth as a matter of fact

hazardousmouse posted:

honestly, i kinda wish i hadn't captured the full 20 animals as soon as possible. it feels like a burden i'm barely keeping up on.

I only have 10 animals because I realized early on how resource intensive having 20 is going to be, unless some upgrade comes along to speed up produce production, over the long term folks are probably going to just use the mid-tier stuff.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

mikemil828 posted:

2 weekly resets worth as a matter of fact

I only have 10 animals because I realized early on how resource intensive having 20 is going to be, unless some upgrade comes along to speed up produce production, over the long term folks are probably going to just use the mid-tier stuff.

You get 20 farm plots x 5 per plot per 48 hours = 50 per day.
You need 28 per day for the best food, 14 for the middle one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RME posted:

That's what I keep being told. Die in alliance raids so a vet can laugh at me. :sigh:

Again, I'm mostly venting about issues that I'm probably overthinking about. And I get it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dumb question that I never remember to check myself when things roll over: the poorly-named "demand shift" is actually how much the supply of that item will change tomorrow, right?

So for example these high-value 8-hour items are good to schedule for tomorrow, because supply will be 0 or 1 boxes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RME posted:

FFXIV's penalty for dying is also "nothing lol" so the game expects you to use dying as a learning tool at times.

Also yeah lots of console players or people with a controller on PC who don't want to reach for the keyboard, so lots of people never talk.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dying in alliance raids is just a thing that happens. Like, alliance raids are a circus in a way that is only topped by the thing that has a higher player count: frontlines. Having someone take the time to explain anything in one would be a marvel, as would everyone else giving them time to do it. Anyone with the temerity to start a countdown in adr will have the boss instantly pulled (by me).

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Dumb question that I never remember to check myself when things roll over: the poorly-named "demand shift" is actually how much the supply of that item will change tomorrow, right?

So for example these high-value 8-hour items are good to schedule for tomorrow, because supply will be 0 or 1 boxes?

i think its the opposite, the demand is plummeting so supply will go up. theres a blurb in the tutorial about it somewhere

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i think its the opposite, the demand is plummeting so supply will go up. theres a blurb in the tutorial about it somewhere

You know what? Let's sort this out.

There's my stuff today, now tomorrow when I say "I should've made a note of that" I have one and can take the same screenshot tomorrow and we have a definite answer.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, if you die it's fine, especially if you're a player that's trying to understand the mechanics and aren't dying to the literal same mechanic over and over

in my experience people have never been a dick to me in ffxiv for being new and being surprised + instead most people are happy to see someone going through the game for the first time. it's nothing to stress about

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, in alliance raids you might get some intrepid person kind enough to say something like Show Mustadio Hole or add your health for Math or something, but most every mechanic is just follow everyone else and hope not too many people are doing that and get themselves into a herd spiral.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bruceski posted:

You know what? Let's sort this out.

There's my stuff today, now tomorrow when I say "I should've made a note of that" I have one and can take the same screenshot tomorrow and we have a definite answer.

People have already done all that.
Demand shift is how the supply changed between yesterday and today, so it might seem useless, BUT
There are two things that change supply:
- The things you craft
- every item follows a random pattern that's assigned at the start of the week.

So if you don't touch an item, you can watch how the demand shift changes to guess when a certain item will be at its lowest supply:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Note Block posted:

This looks like kind of some official picture from SE, very cool!

also thank you :shobon:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tamba posted:

People have already done all that.
Demand shift is how the supply changed between yesterday and today, so it might seem useless, BUT
There are two things that change supply:
- The things you craft
- every item follows a random pattern that's assigned at the start of the week.

So if you don't touch an item, you can watch how the demand shift changes to guess when a certain item will be at its lowest supply:

Oh good, here I thought it was going to be easy... dangit.

Thanks.

Edit: so if I'm reading that right it's currently day 3 and my three money items are Sufficient/plummeting without my influence yet, so they'll either stay Sufficient (Cycle 2 Weak/Strong) or go lower on day 6 or 7 (Cycle 6 Strong, 7 Weak/Strong)?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 1, 2022

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
I got a dude killed in P6n last night because I (a tank) repositioned too early from front+back safe to sides safe. The boss turned with me before blasting front and back, and at the last moment I realized it and got out. Most everyone else did too but one poor dancer ate it.

A dude in party chat called out my big brain murder and it was pretty funny. I didn't mean to kill them, I was just tanking while high.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kalli posted:

Yeah, in alliance raids you might get some intrepid person kind enough to say something like Show Mustadio Hole.

No. Absolutely not. What.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Oh good, here I thought it was going to be easy... dangit.

Thanks.

ugh this feels like homework.
I'm gonna just create some presets and wash my hands of effort

great now I'm mad about efficiency cause it punishes just slamming three 8 hour builds

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

it makes sense in context (spoiler for SB alliance raid mechanic)
the first boss of orbonne monastery has a mechanic where he jumps to one side of the arena, and a ring is placed around every character that has a big gap in it. you have to rotate yourself so that the gap is facing the boss in order to survive

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Red Metal posted:

it makes sense in context (spoiler for SB alliance raid mechanic)
the first boss of orbonne monastery has a mechanic where he jumps to one side of the arena, and a ring is placed around every character that has a big gap in it. you have to rotate yourself so that the gap is facing the boss in order to survive

:lmao:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
they should give demon wall its bees back

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

In the Orbonne Monastery (third StB Alliance Raid) the first boss does a big fancy animation and the text says that he sees your blind spot. Around your feet is a circle with one open side. Contrary to your initial instinct, you want the open side to face the boss.

In other words, you want to show him your hole.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hazardousmouse posted:

ugh this feels like homework.
I'm gonna just create some presets and wash my hands of effort

great now I'm mad about efficiency cause it punishes just slamming three 8 hour builds

if you load up the first few days a week with some short efficiency crafts to max out groove and then do the big crafts the rest of the week that should be fine enough for the average player

you can get a lot more micromanaged but don't get bogged down in it if you don't want to. I'm sure people are working on tools to make that easier anyway

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

That's what I keep being told. Die in alliance raids so a vet can laugh at me. :sigh:

Again, I'm mostly venting about issues that I'm probably overthinking about. And I get it.

Part of why it’s funny is that most of those vets died to it when they were newbies, so it’s like a shot of nostalgia. Then there are the occasional mechanics like the Demon Wall’s knockback are like guaranteed to kill unaware players unless a vet remembers to mention it, but it’s usually not malicious and more that they forget to type it out, or assumed everyone knew already.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Magil Zeal posted:

It even helpfully shows you material totals you need for the schedule you've set up, the total you have, and if you have a deficit.

life pro tip: to easily keep track of what materials you need to go hammer out, use the snipping tool to take a screenshot of just the deficit window (windows key + shift + s by default I think? thats my keybind anyway) and then paste it into whatever discord chat you happen to have open

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Also demon wall/demon book are still in that ARR to early/mid HW zone of “the devs hadn’t fully figured out what sort of mechanics go in what content” so it’s still janky. I can’t think of any other dungeon that has a knockback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Pigbuster posted:

Part of why it’s funny is that most of those vets died to it when they were newbies, so it’s like a shot of nostalgia. Then there are the occasional mechanics like the Demon Wall’s knockback are like guaranteed to kill unaware players unless a vet remembers to mention it, but it’s usually not malicious and more that they forget to type it out, or assumed everyone knew already.

Honestly poo poo like this makes me feel better, I'm just like barely out of ARR and feel like I'm really bumblefucking around as the tank sometimes. Good to know that most people aren't gonna get too annoyed at me for that. :v: