Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mister Olympus posted:

Also demon wall/demon book are still in that ARR to early/mid HW zone of “the devs hadn’t fully figured out what sort of mechanics go in what content” so it’s still janky. I can’t think of any other dungeon that has a knockback

demon wall is even a 2.0 fight. It's in the wave of content that they made before they started receiving feedback by releasing the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

quote:

[13:26]The paissa evaded your trap despite remaining blissfully unaware of your presence.
[13:26]The paissa evaded your trap despite remaining blissfully unaware of your presence.
[13:26]The paissa sensed your presence and scampered away.

:negative:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh! Quick question: the relic books sucked rear end, but you had to elect to pursue them so whatever no biggie. However! When you were tasked with killing a specific dungeon boss, you would only get credit if you were alive when it died.

Does anything like that ever come back? Cause hot drat I'm never touching books again but I'd like to make sure if a similar mechanic is down the road ahead of me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not to my knowledge, no.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The animation for messing it up is real funny multiplied by the amount of people messing it up.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The harder the sprout eats poo poo during the dungeon the harder I open palm slam the commend button on that sweet soul.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

The animation for messing it up is real funny multiplied by the amount of people messing it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEsQ18U-e1g

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arist posted:

Not to my knowledge, no.

:cheers:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

In the Orbonne Monastery (third StB Alliance Raid) the first boss does a big fancy animation and the text says that he sees your blind spot. Around your feet is a circle with one open side. Contrary to your initial instinct, you want the open side to face the boss.

In other words, you want to show him your hole.

The visual disconnect there is that people parse the sides as, like, shields, and not glowing weak points which is what they function as (the debuff on each player is <direction> Unseen, implying that's the only weakness Mustadio doesn't have in his sights, but it can be really hard to check the names of your statuses in a hurry). Well, when they're not just being unaware that they have to face a certain direction in the first place, as also happens.

As far as trying to help with mechanics, well, I usually don't have time to type before someone pulls, or when I do it's well in advance of something actually happening, and combat's so active it's hard to spare a moment from the controller to type something out as things are happening. Plus I've had numerous instances over the years of people being annoyed someone explained mechanics unprompted because they wanted to go in fairly blind, so I usually don't say anything unless asked or it's a mechanic I see catch new players constantly and it requires something new, like the duty action button (I usually just remind them that it exists). I'll try explaining gotcha mechanics after a wipe or two, though. Sometimes it helps.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a LOT of FATE grinding in future relics, though. Just keep that in mind.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Every month or so Normal Raid throws me to Omega M/F and I remember the knockbacks the hard way.

Hra Mormo posted:

The harder the sprout eats poo poo during the dungeon the harder I open palm slam the commend button on that sweet soul.

Thank you stuff like this makes me feel better about going back to Puppets Bunker for the second time to farm fashion and immediately walking off the railway at the first boss because of course there's an invisible wall there I don't need to pay that much attention. It was 1 second before pull too. :qq:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

They really should change that text

Maybe "Mustadio reveals all of your weaknesses!"
Something to connect the idea of "lots of things that are now displayed" to "bad"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Shinjobi posted:

Oh! Quick question: the relic books sucked rear end, but you had to elect to pursue them so whatever no biggie. However! When you were tasked with killing a specific dungeon boss, you would only get credit if you were alive when it died.

Does anything like that ever come back? Cause hot drat I'm never touching books again but I'd like to make sure if a similar mechanic is down the road ahead of me.

for learning blue mage spells you need to be alive when the monster dies or you cant learn it

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

hazardousmouse posted:

ugh this feels like homework.

It is. I made a spreadsheet last night and then spent an hour staring at it before i nailed down what to make for today.

Edit: though honestly, it's not actually that complex and the problem is just in the information presentation. If the god drat supply and demand table included the base value of the items and also what categories the items were in without having to mouse over them so i could sort by those values, it would be easy enough to figure out without having to make a dang spreadsheet.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 1, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Awesome! posted:

for learning blue mage spells you need to be alive when the monster dies or you cant learn it

Oh, right. I forgot about this because I barely play BLU, lmao

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Doomykins posted:

Thank you stuff like this makes me feel better about going back to Puppets Bunker for the second time to farm fashion and immediately walking off the railway at the first boss because of course there's an invisible wall there I don't need to pay that much attention. It was 1 second before pull too. :qq:

Don't worry, I've done that even when it was current content and I was getting it nearly daily. :v:

Though today I ran into someone in Aglaia who didn't try dodging a single mechanic. I think there were a few points where both healer's Swiftcasts were on cooldown.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hra Mormo posted:

Every time I see someone in LotA racing for the safe pad on Phlegethon, not quite getting there in time, and eating the flare, that's an auto-commend for me. Bad beat, pal. I've been there.

Also, on the subject of vets not talking about mechanics: if I'm queueing via roulette, especially 50/60/70/80 roulette, there's a decent chance I'll end up in an older dungeon I haven't done in weeks or months and I'm only slightly less clueless than the newbs. I may very well only remember enough to explain after a wipe. (I am not very good at this game!)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Doomykins posted:

Every month or so Normal Raid throws me to Omega M/F and I remember the knockbacks the hard way.

The most comms I ever got was the time I fell off Bismark and made sad faces in party chat. This was before you could be revived from it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The best part is the text the game displays is something like “Mustadio seeks a gap in your defenses!” which many first timers interpret as “do NOT show the boss the gap in the circular bands around me.” But the three quarter circle bands around you are supposed to represent the sides your defense is weak on or something

Oh missed a new page lol

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hra Mormo posted:

Yeah, any newbies get commendations from me as long as they're trying. It's not whether they screw up, it's whether they give up.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I hate seeing a group saying "blind prog/prog from the start!" for endgame content I'd like to try just as I'm burned out because I had to do P8 multiple times for the drop :sigh:. Honestly normal raids shouldn't be 10+ min long with bad DPS when it's content you're gonna run for several weeks in a row for gear.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also sometimes, a veteran's "understanding" of the mechanics of an old fight is "I still don't know how this works but I know just enough to survive it." I recently realized that I have no idea how the first boss fight works in the 5.1 dungeon, which I've run at least a dozen times and have decent mechanical understanding of otherwise, because "dance around bads" works acceptably to beat that first boss and I've never bothered to look up a guide.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Antivehicular posted:

Also, on the subject of vets not talking about mechanics: if I'm queueing via roulette, especially 50/60/70/80 roulette, there's a decent chance I'll end up in an older dungeon I haven't done in weeks or months and I'm only slightly less clueless than the newbs. I may very well only remember enough to explain after a wipe. (I am not very good at this game!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsYWWyn-rQ

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zomborgon posted:

They really should change that text

Maybe "Mustadio reveals all of your weaknesses!"
Something to connect the idea of "lots of things that are now displayed" to "bad"

Having played too much Star Trek Online, the visuals feel backwards to what I was used to. The segments are basically identical to STO's shields, with one depleted making it look like that's the part you're supposed to point away from the boss.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I'm curious, how do people actually go about finding cool pieces for Glamours? I feel like there's not a great resource outside of like, just looking at armor in game but that's not ideal for a lot of reasons.

(Also, side note, if anyone wants to slide me the locations of some cool axes I'd appreciate it. I'm using the Gold Saucer axe, which is admittedly super cool)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thanks, I was trying to find that and couldn't.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

My feeling about the mustsdio mechanic is I get why dieting would misread it but do you really think they would give you three correct answers and one wrong one

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Awesome! posted:

That makes sense at least. Can suck hard but it seems fair.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

RME posted:

My feeling about the mustsdio mechanic is I get why dieting would misread it but do you really think they would give you three correct answers and one wrong one

best I can imagine is that they translated the debuff version of that mechanic to an on-person marker for easier instances, but it doesn't read nearly as well as the actual debuff (especially when you read the description).

on the one hand I could see the argument for touching up the marker, but also you die to it once or twice in an alliance raid and either you see everyone else do it the right way or someone explains it to you so in the long run it's not a big deal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arzaac posted:

So I'm curious, how do people actually go about finding cool pieces for Glamours? I feel like there's not a great resource outside of like, just looking at armor in game but that's not ideal for a lot of reasons.

(Also, side note, if anyone wants to slide me the locations of some cool axes I'd appreciate it. I'm using the Gold Saucer axe, which is admittedly super cool)

The easiest is just browsing the marketboard. All of the crafted and vendor gear is available right there to preview, including all the glam-specific gear.
After that you can just peek at the tomestone/raid vendors. Smaller selection though.
If you click on a bed in the inn you can preview the cash-shop stuff.

You can look at https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ to check out peoples' submitted glamour sets to see if anything gets your attention, but it's limited to just what people use/submit.

There have been websites here and there that show dungeon or raid sets in an easy format, but they never historically stayed updated, or online too long. I'm not sure if there's a good out of game resource currently.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Everybody gets it wrong the first time. It's fine. You get killed and then you know.

Like half the color based mechanics in the game are "match the color" and the other half are "go to the opposite color," and there's no way* to know before you gently caress it up one for the first time.

*the tooltip for the debuff probably tells you

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 1, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arzaac posted:

I just keep an eye out and try any drops on to see if they speak to me. Usually I get a weapon or chestpiece that just looks like something to build a glam around, and then I go digging through my dresser/crafting log to see what fits it.

Let's look at a recent one for example:

I'd had the chest (Endwalker Alliance Raid) sitting around waiting for inspiration to strike, and someone using the same piece for their glam told me it was time. A lot of my Maiming gloves are bulkier than I wanted but the Garuda ones (Heavensward Splendors Vendor, Primal Gear tab) had some good lines and the feather fir the light cloth. Metal boots are very common, but I picked up the Shadowless Greaves (5.3 dungeon, the 87 Endwalker dungeon has them too in black) a while back while running that place for a different glam. Those aren't dyable so they dictated the color theme for the rest of the gear, fortunately I was able to match it with a cheap Bark Brown. Then for the mask (Replica Allagan Visor, crafted if you want dyeable or get it from Coils) I wanted metal that wasn't a full helmet and it fit the description.

Pants were just something that looked fine, not sold on those if I can find something that fits the drapiness of the chest but it works well enough. Weapon... I have a lot of those in my glam dresser and just grabbed one I hadn't used in a while (ARR relic weapon).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arzaac posted:

I just get incredibly nosy and right-click examine when I see a cool piece.

Then I look it up and it's exclusively on mogstation for $20. :negative:

Also like the Dwarven axe cause it's a hammer.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Everybody gets it wrong the first time. It's fine. You get killed and then you know.

Like half the color based mechanics in the game are "match the color" and the other half are "go to the opposite color," and there's no way* to know before you gently caress it up one for the first time.

*the tooltip for the debuff probably tells you

I'm also a fan of "is this a circle I need to be standing in, or is this a circle I absolutely should not be standing in"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"right clobberbuster"

the boss's right or my right????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

I'm also a fan of "is this a circle I need to be standing in, or is this a circle I absolutely should not be standing in"

In a similar vein a huge fan of having to remember if I have to match colors or not.

Awesome! posted:

"right clobberbuster"

I hate P3 just for this.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 1, 2022

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I know there's a visual difference in the debuff icon for Swindler's height check but I can never parse it in time even knowing what it's supposed to represent, I just have better luck quickly swiping the mouse over to see if I'm supposed to stand high or low.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Awesome! posted:

"right clobberbuster"

Are there any cases where it's not the boss's right?
I only remember O11 spinning around after each one, but it was still the indicated side relative to the boss

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's never not the boss' right, but in the heat of the moment you can easily own yourself like that

or someone calls "right" and you don't know if it's the boss' right or the area right (aka "east")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tamba posted:

Are there any cases where it's not the boss's right?
I only remember O11 spinning around after each one, but it was still consistent.

Every instance I can think of is based off boss facing.