Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

They hired a temp agency and had at least one guy go out for lunch and just never come back, so the temp agency decided to stop working with them.

temps do that all the time and temp agencies are terrible and only care about making money.

not really sure there is actually any other way to get dropped by an agency other than not paying the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i've nope out of temp jobs at lunch three or four times in my life, lol

gently caress that poo poo

vvv yeah me too vvv

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 1, 2022

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I read that as the temp told the agency how bad it sucks to work there. The agency decided they'd lose more workers if they sent them there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boar guy posted:

"we're a family' means 'you're the children'. families keep secrets. families are patriarchal. families put up with unreasonable poo poo.

I have a simpler version; "Do as you're told, or Daddy gets his belt"

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

evobatman posted:

Every brewery also makes a beer named something like "Slutty horny Blonde spreading her pussy for you to put your manly cock in".

I had an amazing Cream Pistachio Ale at the Iowa State Fair.

It was named Pants Off Dance Off for no discernible reason. Maybe they really liked that show on Fuse hosted by Topanga from Boy Meets World?

But, hey, I do remember the name and know what to look for!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I recently had a Brut IPA named Zane Lost His Avocado Bag.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

McGavin posted:

I recently had a Brut IPA named Zane Lost His Avocado Bag.

Pro-tier name. drat.

Better than Hoppy the Hoppo bitch hopped to the sockhop 420-69 or whatever.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's a local brewery here that has the best beer names. The funniest one roughly translates to "poo poo, the camper van is burning down!"

https://www.uiltjebrewing.com/product/fck-de-caravan-staat-in-de-fik/

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used to drink a cider called Rough Old Wife. It was very dry.

They also did Tasty Old Wife (medium), Blushing Old Wife (sweet with raspberry) and, at least once, Punchy Old Wife (vintage and about 11%).

They were at least from the village of Old Wives Lees.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Got a recruiter fishing me for a senior position. Asked about benefits and they listed PTO as “PTO/Sick time 10 days, non-negotiable”. Good luck with that!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fun update: The senior dev who disabled all of his security software has now been found to have an unauthorized sysadmin level account in our production SQL server and has been doing undocumented work, including adding permissions for his team.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He must have a lot of dirt on someone.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Sywert of Thieves posted:

That reminds me of a new software engineer we hired last year. Everything went great for a couple of weeks, and then he just stopped showing up. Just calling in sick every day. We got worried, but when boss went to check in on him, he wouldn't answer the door. When we got really worried we had police check on him but he just told them he was fine. He didn't show up for literal months before his contract was ended.

Only way, way later we heard that his father had suddenly died, and he relapsed into a serious clinical depression and just laid on the couch all day. Poor guy. He was a fun co-worker too, very fanatical about random stuff (like he'd always bring a thermos of his own special brand of tea).
:smith:

uhhhhhhh

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Got a recruiter fishing me for a senior position. Asked about benefits and they listed PTO as “PTO/Sick time 10 days, non-negotiable”. Good luck with that!

It's great when they give you all the information you need right up front so you don't have to waste your time.

tak posted:

uhhhhhhh

Oh, it's not just me who looked at that and said "what the gently caress"? Because that's pretty hosed. If I'm employed by you I may or may have not given you an emergency contact. You can use that information if it's an actual emergency like, I got hurt at work. Not that I didn't show up. gently caress right on off.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Motronic posted:

It's great when they give you all the information you need right up front so you don't have to waste your time.

5 minutes into a recruiter call they excitedly told me the opportunity worked from home 2 days a week!

Yeah I never got a call back after telling then I'd need to be remote.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Blue Moonlight posted:

My team is 75% remote. And not just “a couple-hour drive” remote like me, but ”across the country” or “a whole other country” remote.

My not-remote boss interprets feedback he received about team building to necessitate circling the wagons and bringing everyone on-site once a quarter, saying it’s optional if you can’t make it.

I can read between the lines there.

He gives three-weeks notice for the first one, scheduled for a week and a half from today. Everyone makes travel plans (luckily, the company reimburses for such travel, but a not-negligible financial ask in the interim).

But then this morning, he hits the work chat, points out a big company event happening the following week, and “asks” if it works for everyone to move the on-site to match.

I have in-laws in town that week, and while my wife certainly doesn’t need me around to hang out with her family, I told my boss that I already had made plans for my hours outside of work.

The ask is just so loving inconsiderate, and that makes it wildly out of character - I actually have a very reasonable job otherwise. It’s not a serious problem like those that so frequently pop up in this thread, but uhg, just needed to rant.

just say no

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Motronic posted:

Oh, it's not just me who looked at that and said "what the gently caress"? Because that's pretty hosed. If I'm employed by you I may or may have not given you an emergency contact. You can use that information if it's an actual emergency like, I got hurt at work. Not that I didn't show up. gently caress right on off.

Checking that you haven’t been involved in some terrible accident or god forbid done something to yourself which has caused you to fall off the grid is a perfectly valid reason to use an emergency contact or request a welfare check on someone, imo.

I would rather call someone’s emergency contact and check they’re ok than have HR send a bunch of “we are going to fire you if you don’t show up at work” letters to be picked up by a potentially grieving family.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Checking that you haven’t been involved in some terrible accident or god forbid done something to yourself which has caused you to fall off the grid is a perfectly valid reason to use an emergency contact or request a welfare check on someone, imo.

I would rather call someone’s emergency contact and check they’re ok than have HR send a bunch of “we are going to fire you if you don’t show up at work” letters to be picked up by a potentially grieving family.

Except in this situation they didn't call the emergency contact and he had called out of work before he stopped showing. His boss showed up at the door of his private residence. gently caress right on off. Then they sent cops. gently caress off even more.

This is highly inappropriate "company as family" paternalistic bullshit.

And lol at your imagined scenario where he died. Yes, the letters from HR are what's gonna send the grieving family off the edge. If it weren't for that everyone would have been fine.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pretty much any time someone dies you're going to be getting all kinds of hosed up mail for them into more or less perpetuity. Random HR poo poo is pretty far down that list imo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If your employee goes off sick and then stops responding to all contact, checking they're not dead seems pretty reasonable to me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

goatface posted:

If your employee goes off sick and then stops responding to all contact, checking they're not dead seems pretty reasonable to me.

That HR req is going to take forever, best get an early start.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Motronic posted:

Except in this situation they didn't call the emergency contact and he had called out of work before he stopped showing. His boss showed up at the door of his private residence. gently caress right on off. Then they sent cops. gently caress off even more.

Interesting. Fun story which is probably why I have the opinion of it that I do, a couple of years ago I had a guy call out sick and then vanish off the face of the planet after about a week of checking in to say he still wouldn’t be back to work yet, so I called his emergency contact who immediately burst into tears and told me that he’d tried to kill himself and we were the first people to have reached out to anyone and wonder where he’d gone.

quote:

And lol at your imagined scenario where he died. Yes, the letters from HR are what's gonna send the grieving family off the edge. If it weren't for that everyone would have been fine.

My bad I totally forgot that if someone is having a lovely time it’s totally ok to make it even just a little bit more lovely, I mean they’re already in a bad place so what’s the big deal?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

goatface posted:

Nobody said it wasn't.

What I specifically said was having their boss show up at their residence and calling the cops on them is bullshit.

Interesting. Fun story which is probably why I have the opinion of it that I do, a couple of years ago I had a guy call out sick and then vanish off the face of the planet after about a week of checking in to say he still wouldn’t be back to work yet, so I called his emergency contact who immediately burst into tears and told me that he’d tried to kill himself and we were the first people to have reached out to anyone and wonder where he’d gone.

My bad I totally forgot that if someone is having a lovely time it’s totally ok to make it even just a little bit more lovely, I mean they’re already in a bad place so what’s the big deal?

I literally don't understand your point, unless you think showing up/calling the cops is the same as calling their emergency contact.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Motronic posted:

I literally don't understand your point, unless you think showing up/calling the cops is the same as calling their emergency contact.

Motronic posted:

If I'm employed by you I may or may have not given you an emergency contact. You can use that information if it's an actual emergency like, I got hurt at work. Not that I didn't show up. gently caress right on off.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yup.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And? Id' prefer you did none of that. But you really don't see the difference between calling an emergency contact and doing what started this entire derail:

Sywert of Thieves posted:

That reminds me of a new software engineer we hired last year. Everything went great for a couple of weeks, and then he just stopped showing up. Just calling in sick every day. We got worried, but when boss went to check in on him, he wouldn't answer the door. When we got really worried we had police check on him but he just told them he was fine. He didn't show up for literal months before his contract was ended.

Only way, way later we heard that his father had suddenly died, and he relapsed into a serious clinical depression and just laid on the couch all day. Poor guy. He was a fun co-worker too, very fanatical about random stuff (like he'd always bring a thermos of his own special brand of tea).
:smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Believe it or not some people are genuinely concerned about the well-being of the people around them, not everything is out of some warped sense of ‘because job’.

Sorry you don’t seem to share that part of the human experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Believe it or not some people are genuinely concerned about the well-being of the people around them, not everything is out of some warped sense of ‘because job’.

Well, enjoy your "work family" I guess.

I suppose I have enough socialization outside of work that I'm not in need of treating employees like children and bosses like parents.

Lots of families have no sense of boundaries too, so I guess this all tracks for you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

if you're concerned about someone's wellbeing pretty much the last thing you should do is call the cops on them

like even calling their emergency contact in this situation would be inappropriate. "no call no show" is not an emergency

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I quit a job without telling anyone once because I was too depressed.

My boss actually did show up at my apartment and got the landlord to do a wellness check.

I was pretty annoyed but I guess they were trying to do the right thing so I can't really be that mad.

This was before cell-phones though so now you should probably just text them instead.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Artonos posted:

I read that as the temp told the agency how bad it sucks to work there. The agency decided they'd lose more workers if they sent them there.

Some truly awful positions can just keep getting re-filled if the client is big enough. Literally my first office job was a posting through Kelley. I showed up Monday to the complete surprise of the manager I would be reporting to. Apparently I was the fifth temp they'd had covering the group admin role, and the previous one had quit to the agency on her way out Friday. I lasted five weeks, one day, five hours, and 36 minutes.

The group I was working for was the retirement group at a major pharma company (McKesson). They had a manager,4 preparers, and an admin (me !). They were behind on processing pension requests by two years - as in you retire and checks don't show up for two years. It's 1995, so processing a pension activation was a largely manual process, with some light use of mainframe apps. And heavy use of paper records pulled from Iron Mountain, processing those in and out was my primary function.

The preparers were a hoot. One woman who was angling to transfer to another department, any other department, and was out socializing to try and get a transfer most of the day. One temp accountant who absolutely hated that his CPA experience was getting staler and staler the longer he was stuck here, so he was super bitter. And then there was the former group admin. She'd been doing that for 20 years and finally couldn't another raise without changing jobs. So she jumped over to preparer.

She was worse at that than at being the group admin. I was young, full of energy, and had some modest organizational skills. I started getting record requests over to Iron Mountain in good time, so the preparers couldn't ask for records and then do nothing until they eventually showed up. Now they had to work, and productivity started going up. Which was noticed, positively by the manager, unfavorably by the preparers, and it enraged for former admin that someone was showing up how bad she'd been at her job. So I was in the doghouse with the team. I had a lot of downtime between handling records and dealing with our mail. Letters from widows that their husband had died and we could stop sending the checks were awful. To keep busy during week two I went through our filing cabinet, a full height, full width unit. It was about three quarters full, but completely unsorted. Almost nothing was in a hanging folder, all our paperwork was just in piles in the drawers. When I was done, we were about a quarter full of stuff we actually needed to keep, and it was all sorted, if only by date. This made the former admin even more incandescently furious over my existence, and the other preparers were awfully put out at their new workloads.

During my five weeks tenure we went from two years to six months behind. The manager (Hi Joan !) loved me but she was hit with a "he goes or we all quit" ultimatum from the preparers, and she needed them more than me. Kelley found me more work, which I sucked at. Luckily I managed to get ahold of my rep between the client calling in to getting me replaced, and tell Kelley I wasn't right for the role. They appreciated the honesty and I actually got more work from them.

So that's how I got fired from a job where the manager loved my work.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Lazyfire posted:

I was on a call with a vendor yesterday and the site manager ended up venting to us about his absolutely dire staffing situation in a way that was at once completely honest and not at all reassuring for a company we thought would be a growth supplier just a year ago. They lost at least one person to a competitor a few weeks ago and that started a cascade of people just quitting or being reassigned to cover high need areas. They tried hiring but aren't getting resumes from experienced enough people that they won't need weeks of training just to not bungle basic operations. They hired a temp agency and had at least one guy go out for lunch and just never come back, so the temp agency decided to stop working with them. Worst of all, their most experienced guy on one of their most vital operations just stopped coming in a week ago and so their lead engineer is on the floor covering for him while they call the guy several times a day trying to figure out where he is and when he'll be back.

I've never heard of a supplier collapsing like this so fast; they've entered a tailspin and will have a hard time pulling out of it.

Ah, the "just in time" approach to staffing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Crackbone posted:

String them along for as long as possible and decline at the last minute possible citing 'lack of PTO and sick days'. It doesn't cost you anything to cost them a lot of frustration

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Motronic posted:

I suppose I have enough socialization outside of work that I'm not in need of treating employees like children and bosses like parents.

Lots of families have no sense of boundaries too, so I guess this all tracks for you.

I'm going to be completely honest, this is a "you" thing, as in I've never seen anyone else this hostile to the idea that employers and/or coworkers might be concerned about you as a person.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You'd feel the same way about nosy coworkers after being in the same office as Leslie Knope.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Calling the police, specifically, as anything other than a last resort is not just inappropriate but dangerous.

I don't see anything wrong with calling an emergency contact or even showing up in person. Sure, we're all adults with our own lives and boundaries -- and that includes not disappearing on people who have no reason not to expect you and might worry terribly. If you hate your job you can quit by text and block the number, at least people won't think you're dead.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

I guess being a utter rear end in a top hat would prevent anyone from giving a poo poo about you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I live in a country that isn't insane, and I'm pretty sure most people here would probably consider calling for a welfare check-in from the police. So I'm guessing sheltered white Americans would have the same reaction. They don't see the cops as dangerous people because they're myopic and haven't had a bad experience themselves.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Outrail posted:

I live in a country that isn't insane, and I'm pretty sure most people here would probably consider calling for a welfare check-in from the police. So I'm guessing sheltered white Americans would have the same reaction. They don't see the cops as dangerous people because they're myopic and haven't had a bad experience themselves.

I’m also not American, so calling the police here also doesn’t mostly end with someone getting unnecessarily shot either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

fisting by many posted:

Calling the police, specifically, as anything other than a last resort is not just inappropriate but dangerous.

I don't see anything wrong with calling an emergency contact or even showing up in person. Sure, we're all adults with our own lives and boundaries -- and that includes not disappearing on people who have no reason not to expect you and might worry terribly. If you hate your job you can quit by text and block the number, at least people won't think you're dead.

We just had a dude on another shift pass away, and his supervisor calling emergency services was what got the Staties to find his car at the trailhead and initiate SAR for him.

I understand that calling the police can be a big moral issue, but if I've been calling you and your emergency contact for a couple shifts, I'm at least going to make sure you're alive one way or another, again, because Motronic refuses to recognize any context clues in a heavily abbreviated story, after exhausting all other forms of contact.

Like, all you have to do is text me, or one of your 20 peers, or my boss or whoever else you have contact info for "can't come in, sick" or "gently caress you I hate you, I quit and I'm not turning in the computer".