Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kiimo posted:

Your mom gave me the gift of her body's moisture and you should have seen the spirit with which it was given.

:slick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

Your mom gave me the gift of her body's moisture and you should have seen the spirit with which it was given.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh she does that for everybody

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I rewatched the 1984 Dune movie, and I swear Sting was in the space speedo in more than one scene in the movie. Certainly makes an impression either way.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1565031358149296131?s=20&t=8-GwVnVFykauI1bqdXvLGA

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Knights of the Old Republic: Corrino

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Face paint lady on the far right, fremen or Bene Gesserit?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I'm going to guess some kind of noblewoman or lady-in-waiting in the court of the Emperor.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

this is a universe you could actually get me to rp with minimal self embarassment if the gameplay is there

but there is zero chance a mmo in the current decade will be good so vOv

final fantasy 14 is the last sickened fever dream of the lost art of making mmo a fun treadmill

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
I'm running a game of Adventures in the Imperium with my friend and it's fun to play in the world of Dune. Hamming it up as various characters is a blast.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Finally, a setting where FATAL's anus circumference calculations are welcomed.

For the vitally important girty fremen dookies.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Min-maxing the closed/distended stat for an epic build

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’ve never really played an MMO in my life, I guess. Is it just a cursed game genre because of the degree of difficulty in making it good?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
MMO just means an online game with many players. People tend to read the -RPG suffix into it along with all the baggage the MMORPG genre has, which may or may not be warranted, to a greater or lesser extent.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jewmanji posted:

I’ve never really played an MMO in my life, I guess. Is it just a cursed game genre because of the degree of difficulty in making it good?

There are... a lot of points of failure for a big MMO, yeah. Like imagine all the issues around making an open-world game, even one where events and resources are going to be relatively sparse for the "survival" theme. Add in any issues around multiplayer, both moderating the players and balancing content for multiple playstyles. Add in the need to host everything on your own servers if you're talking about a truly persistent mass-multiplayer world, and will ideally be having to provide those services to many thousands of people at once. (Ideally. Not necessarily realistically.) The expectation of more content regularly drip-fed out to maintain engagement. Possibly endgame content to keep on the more... dedicated... players when they've run through the regular content. Realize that no matter how good your game might be, managing the player base is critical to keeping it alive and inviting to new players because there will be drop-off, and a toxic community will drive people off.

Meanwhile the more effective monetization schemes aren't inherently shackled to MMOs but rather to games-as-a-service in general. Cut one or more of those factors, reduce your overhead and reduce your points of failure, focus on going in deep on a narrower audience instead of as broad a one as you can, then lower the barrier of entry from computer to smartphone and you get a lot of the more successful mobile games.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LordMune posted:

MMO just means an online game with many players. People tend to read the -RPG suffix into it along with all the baggage the MMORPG genre has, which may or may not be warranted, to a greater or lesser extent.
Are there any MMOs that don't involve some level of roleplaying for the purposes of escapism?

It doesn't make sense to have players be in the Duniverse unless they get to play their own House - and then you have an MMORTS instead, and it's called Dune Generations, and I'm still bitter that it got cancelled.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bunnyhop without rhythm

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Are there any MMOs that don't involve some level of roleplaying for the purposes of escapism?

There are no games that don't involve assuming a role for escapism!

But yeah MMOs tend to lean heavily on systematized progression, where RPG (or RPG-esque) systems come in handy, but other RPG mainstays may not be the focus. Unless it's an MMORPG.

edit:

sebmojo posted:

Bunnyhop without rhythm

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Bunnyhop without rhythm

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Maker Melange Orgasm

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I WILL KILL HIM

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wooo, four black and white avs in a row!

Also, uhh, kull wahad

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It doesn't make sense to have players be in the Duniverse unless they get to play their own House - and then you have an MMORTS instead, and it's called Dune Generations, and I'm still bitter that it got cancelled.

Clearly that's what clans are for. Endgame (Lands)raading dominated by Houses Harkbonin' and Fat_Worm_420, and their terrible influence over the auction house, CHOAM.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Which of you goons suffered through LOTRO with me?

I had a cool house and no friends. And the game was impossible without friends. Wandering into the Witchking’s lair in Angmar.

Edit: holy poo poo people are still playing lol

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Apparently the new Dune tv show is set a few decades after the Butlerian Jihad. Unfortunately I think we can assume it’s failsons interpretation of the the Butlerian Jihad

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

I'd say Myst Online came close. You played yourself in a fictional environment. Sadly Cyan was too early when it came out (not enough people had cable / DSL yet) and while it's still running for free the public spaces are usually empty.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
In fremen society t-bagging is a sign of respect

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

She gives scrote oil to the dead!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
naib more like noob

WTS flying chairdog mount, 2k solari

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Proper dune mmo should have like 20 non-combat classes like water seller, dead body scavenger and harkman-spider

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
like SWG you mean

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Spider Polisher
Excresence Slave
Dust Sifter
Exhalation Hoarder
Zephyr Shunner
Pustule Organiser
Suffering Consultant and Chief Advisor in Emerging Trends in Suffering

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If the new game doesn't find some way to wedge in Weirding Modules to amplify sonic attacks, I'm probably not gonna be interested.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
If I can't run into battle with a pug under my arm I'm not interested.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Only if you're pugmaster class (available as a one-time dlc purchase)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tree Bucket posted:

Suffering Consultant and Chief Advisor in Emerging Trends in Suffering

Honestly this is one thing I wish Dune had more of. Comically useless business-class factotums

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Weirding modules should be canon and everything Brian Herbert ever wrote should be not.

Also in: heartplugs, cat milking

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
now i am imagining them bringing back Stephen Mckinley Henderson just to have him film a scene with a cgi cat.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

skasion posted:

Honestly this is one thing I wish Dune had more of. Comically useless business-class factotums

Guild Navigator Travel Tank Floor Vacuumer, Second Class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Guild Navigator Travel Tank Floor Vacuumer, Second Class.

“Only 150 more years of this and then they’ll let me squeegee the navigator’s spare tank!”