Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grand Fromage posted:

The cool thing is because of weird things that happen to the way soil absorbs water, you can have severe flooding during a massive drought.

In fact a bad drought makes flooding more likely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thetoughestbean posted:

In fact a bad drought makes flooding more likely!

but droughts are lack of water and flood is like the opposite.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
While the drought/flood connection can happen, I think that the specific flooding/dam breaking story that a lot of people read was just Chinese Scientology being Chinese Scientology.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ups_rail posted:

but droughts are lack of water and flood is like the opposite.

Basically, sufficiently dry ground has a harder time absorbing water than more moist ground. That means that when it does rain, if it’s enough to cause a flood, less of the water will be absorbed into the soil and more of the water will be in the flood

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

While the drought/flood connection can happen, I think that the specific flooding/dam breaking story that a lot of people read was just Chinese Scientology being Chinese Scientology.

The dam thing was nonsense but there was a shitload of flooding not that long ago. I remember Chengdu had some bad ones and now Sichuan is dry as a Shapiro.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's like a sponge - a damp one absorbs water faster than a dried-out one.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

The dam thing was nonsense but there was a shitload of flooding not that long ago. I remember Chengdu had some bad ones and now Sichuan is dry as a Shapiro.

Yeah, the wechat video shares continue to alarm.
Every time someone suggests that I move out of Boringville, East China, I get a slight twinge of recollection re: SUVs, bridges, and small houses being carried away on raging torrents.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I'm late for China-neighbors chat, but Vietnam was super cool to visit.

When you apply for your visa they give it to you in a packet hat also has the personal info and passports of other random tourists who are also applying, which was cool.

We visited around the time Star Wars Rogue One came out. When we'd cross the sea of scooters that unceasingly flowed down every street, we would repeat "I am one with the force the force is with me..." over and over. It was fun.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vietnam is super cool and good except i never wanna visit again because of the insanity of traffic yeah. speaking as a turbo-pedestrian

maybe if they stuck even more pedestrian bridges everywhere

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Now listen here buckaroo, Vietnam doesn't have insane traffic on city streets at all. Everyone's on mopeds and going slow* If you want to cross that, simply walk predictably and people will predictably be able to drive around you like anyone else. Walk at constant speed, straight lines, common sense.
And when you need to go somewhere you can always start a taxi app and get up on one or in a car. The most unsafe pedestrian land I've ever been to is Toronto

*not trucks. The cars are annoying generally but the trucks are downright unnerving. Also city traffic =/= country traffic =/= highway traffic, yet trucks are the same

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Now listen here buckaroo, Vietnam doesn't have insane traffic on city streets at all. Everyone's on mopeds and going slow* If you want to cross that, simply walk predictably and people will predictably be able to drive around you like anyone else. Walk at constant speed, straight lines, common sense.
And when you need to go somewhere you can always start a taxi app and get up on one or in a car. The most unsafe pedestrian land I've ever been to is Toronto

*not trucks. The cars are annoying generally but the trucks are downright unnerving. Also city traffic =/= country traffic =/= highway traffic, yet trucks are the same

Well yeah, the Cash Cab guy lives there now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The most unsafe pedestrian land I've ever been to is Toronto
:lol: try NYC or Rio someday. Or better yet don't try Rio until we see how Bolsonaro's iteration on Jan 6th plays out.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I'm not walking in Rio. That's insanity.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Come on, it's not that bad. There's one or two walkable square miles. But only take what you can afford to lose. Not safe otherwise.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Come on, it's not that bad. There's one or two walkable square miles. But only take what you can afford to lose. Not safe otherwise.
I was about to say "there are far worse things to worry about in Rio than traffic," but you preempted me. Only taking what I can afford to lose? Um, hellooo, my life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhTQrqyiHK0

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yeah, dancing on the sand is the correct way to get around there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mooncake gifts have begun

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As someone who has crossed the road multiple times in Chennai and Bengalaru, I laugh at you babbies with your safe efficient vehicular thoroughfares.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Visiting Vietnam after having lived in China for a while I didn't find the Vietnamese traffic to pose any issue to me. I also want to concur that Vietnam is a great place to visit.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/flash43191300/status/1564968613055954944?s=21&t=pYSV3beKoprYI4tiJvmjVA

This vaguely reminds me of how the top female executive at Japanese rail was a cat.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Marshal Prolapse posted:

https://twitter.com/flash43191300/status/1564968613055954944?s=21&t=pYSV3beKoprYI4tiJvmjVA

This vaguely reminds me of how the top female executive at Japanese rail was a cat.

like a cat? or like a lady with cat ears?....god I need to stop watching anime.

years ago I saw a video by that laowhy86 talking about how he had to buy a house to marry his wife.

This video made me laught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKZ8twhTOLM

because his house or apartment just wasnt buildt well.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AI is actually the perfect board appointment, in that it presumably doesn't vote and the rest of the directors don't have to listen to it.

Another brilliant innovation!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ups_rail posted:

like a cat? or like a lady with cat ears?....god I need to stop watching anime.

Actual cat, not the Finnish PM, but the late Tama. Adorable cat and was legitimately a great boon for that railway and stop. They even had a Tama train car and gave the station building cat ears.

RIP girl, but you were loved and got a hell of a send off.

https://youtu.be/WpAMHB7IlWU

https://youtu.be/qwjB2DiVetw

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strategic Tea posted:

AI is actually the perfect board appointment, in that it presumably doesn't vote and the rest of the directors don't have to listen to it.

Another brilliant innovation!

Yeah, sure, gulag our CEO for corruption. :smug:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Trailer for the new Xi horror film just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRNKt3rWKzY

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And in news surprising no one who isn't an apologist for brutal authoritarians, the UN finally released their report on human rights violations against the Uyghurs in China.

quote:

China may have committed crimes against humanity in Xinjiang - UN report

The UN has accused China of "serious human rights violations" in a long-awaited report into allegations of abuse in Xinjiang province.

China had urged the UN not to release the report - with Beijing calling it a "farce" arranged by Western powers.

The report assesses claims of abuse against Uyghur Muslims and other ethnic minorities, which China denies.

But investigators said they uncovered "credible evidence" of torture possibly amounting to "crimes against humanity".

The report, which was commissioned by the UN's Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights, said prisoners had been subjected to "patterns of ill-treatment" which included "incidents of sexual and gender-based violence".

Others, they said, faced forced medical treatment and "discriminatory enforcement of family planning and birth control policies".

The UN recommended that China immediately takes steps to release "all individuals arbitrarily deprived of their liberty" and suggested that some of Beijing's actions could amount to the "commission of international crimes, including crimes against humanity".

While the UN said it could not be sure how many people have been held by the government, human rights groups estimate that more than a million people have been detained at camps in the Xinjiang region, in north-west China.

Earlier this year, the BBC obtained leaked files which revealed an an organised system of mass rape, sexual abuse and torture of Uyghur Muslims at a network of camps.

The Xinjiang Police Files, as they're being called, were passed to the BBC and revealed a targeting of the community on orders leading all the way up to Chinese leader, Xi Jinping.

And in 2020, then UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab accused China of "gross and egregious" human rights abuses against its Muslim population after a video emerged appearing to show Uyghurs being blindfolded and led to trains.

The footage provoked international outcry, but Liu Xiaoming, then Chinese ambassador to the UK, insisted that there were "no such concentration camps in Xinjiang" while appearing on the BBC's Andrew Marr show.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
That hurts the feelings of the Chinese people. Please delete it

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

quote:

China had urged the UN not to release the report - with Beijing calling it a "farce" arranged by Western powers.
If it's so fake, why you gotta tell them "plz, no, don't publish this, no, Yuen plz"? Huh? China?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It really doesn’t say anything we don’t already know but at least it’s all in one verified place.

Here’s the full report

https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/documents/countries/2022-08-31/22-08-31-final-assesment.pdf

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

We regret to inform you the AI is racist

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
US Orders NVIDIA to stop selling some of its chips to China. Mostly used with machine learning. Voice/facial recognition and possible "military use".

https://www.reuters.com/technology/nvidia-says-us-has-imposed-new-license-requirement-future-exports-china-2022-08-31/?utm_source=reddit.com

quote:

Aug 31 (Reuters) - Chip designer Nvidia Corp (NVDA.O) said on Wednesday that U.S. officials told it to stop exporting two top computing chips for artificial intelligence work to China, a move that could cripple Chinese firms' ability to carry out advanced work like image recognition and hamper Nvidia's business in China.

Nvidia shares fell 6.6% after hours. The company said the ban, which affects its A100 and H100 chips designed to speed up machine learning tasks, could interfere with completion of developing the H100, the flagship chip Nvidia announced this year.

Shares of Nvidia rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD.O) fell 3.7% after hours. An AMD spokesman told Reuters the company had received new license requirements that will stop its MI250 artificial intelligence chips from being exported to China but it believes its MI100 chips will not be affected. AMD said it does not believe the new rules will have a material impact on its business.

Nvidia said U.S. officials told it the new rule "will address the risk that the covered products may be used in, or diverted to, a 'military end use' or 'military end user' in China."

Asked for comment, the U.S. Department of Commerce would not say what new criteria it has laid out for AI chips that can no longer be shipped to China but said it is reviewing its China-related policies and practices "keep advanced technologies out of the wrong hands.

"While we are not in a position to outline specific policy changes at this time, we are taking a comprehensive approach to implement additional actions necessary related to technologies, end-uses, and end-users to protect U.S. national security and foreign policy interests," a spokesperson told Reuters.

The announcement signals a major escalation of the U.S. crackdown on China's technological capabilities as tensions bubble over the fate of Taiwan, where chips for Nvidia and almost every other major chip firm are manufactured.

Without American chips from companies like Nvidia and AMD, Chinese organizations will be unable to cost-effectively carry out the kind of advanced computing used for image and speech recognition, among many other tasks.

Image recognition and natural language processing are common in consumer applications like smartphones that can answer queries and tag photos. They also have military uses such as scouring satellite imagery for weapons or bases and filtering digital communications for intelligence-gathering purposes.

Nvidia said it had booked $400 million in sales of the affected chips this quarter to China that could be lost if Chinese firms decide not to buy alternative Nvidia products. It said it plans to apply for exemptions to the rule but has "no assurances" that U.S. officials will grant them.

Stacy Rasgon, a financial analyst with Bernstein, said the disclosure signaled that about 10% of Nvidia's data center sales, which investors have closely monitored in recent years, were coming from China and that the hit to sales was likely "manageable" for Nvidia.

“It’s not (investment) thesis changing, but it’s not a good look,” Rasgon said. “What happens on both sides now is the question,” he said about possible escalations going forward.

The chip ban comes as Nvidia last week already forecast a sharp drop in revenue for the current quarter on the back of a weaker gaming industry. Nvidia said it expected third-quarter sales of $5.90 billion, down 17% from the same period last year.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I’m not satisfied until an actual corporeal android gets physical possession of the company chop

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

I’m not satisfied until an actual corporeal android gets physical possession of the company chop

the first law of chabuduo; do not input more effort than is required

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I dont know what people think of K pop but this bevies and butthead riffing on BTS made me laught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8tzzzsYwoE

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ups_rail posted:

I dont know what people think of K pop but this bevies and butthead riffing on BTS made me laught

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8tzzzsYwoE

The new movie and new series are amazing and I highly recommend them both.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/StuartLWallace/status/1564911323301007360

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Save the consumers, president Xi!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

And Xi looked down upon the consumers, and whispered "no why".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

imo it's kind of hilarious that economists are so invested in China's economy being secretly bad that they're sitting there reviewing satellite imagery of where delivery trucks are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

imo it's kind of hilarious that economists are so invested in China's economy being secretly bad that they're sitting there reviewing satellite imagery of where delivery trucks are.

It's kind of their job to want to know, even if they weren't interested in it being secretly bad.

Also, boy there's some.... takes about the report and also "Oh yeah I saw an Uyghur once and they were obviously evil terrorists so China good."