Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

But anyway, one other thing I've noticed after updating is that Windows is just a bit less responsive. Chrome tabs take half a second longer to load when clicking on them. Youtube videos stutter when I mouse over them while they're playing. There's a whole lot of general unresponsiveness here and there—none of it a huge deal or anything, but it's still just noticeable enough to be annoying. Is anyone else seeing this? Is there some kind of logging happening behind the scenes slowing things down now that I'm in the beta channel or something?

Being on Insider locks diagnostic data to Full. So yes there's more logging happening, and even on non-Insider full diagnostic data can cause a tiny amount of lag / stutter.

However I'd guess that what you're seeing is above and beyond that level, and more likely something in the Insider build not getting along with something else on your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Browsing the web just now when my screen suddenly goes gray. No response. GPU LEDs return to stock colors. Hard resets do nothing but trigger the ever-useless automatic repair. From cmd my secondary drive shows as C:, but main drive appears in diskpart.

Whatever, gently caress this. Clean install it is. Keep important poo poo away from your boot drive, folks.

e: after going through the best part of the windows install, after associating my account and completing all the privacy breach prompts, screen goes gray again and I seem to be stuck. Wonderful.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 30, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That sounds like there could be a hardware failure. Memory corruption or storage corruption, perhaps?

Klyith posted:

Being on Insider locks diagnostic data to Full. So yes there's more logging happening, and even on non-Insider full diagnostic data can cause a tiny amount of lag / stutter.

However I'd guess that what you're seeing is above and beyond that level, and more likely something in the Insider build not getting along with something else on your system.

If the logging is the same between beta and release preview channels, then it won't be that because I was on the preview channel before. I turned on fTPM in order to get into the beta channel, so I thought that could be the cause and tried updating my BIOS, which I hadn't done in 15 months. That didn't solve the problem though. Maybe I'll just disable fTPM again and get myself booted back down to the preview channel.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Managed to get back to automatic repair (coming from windows install) and this time instead of restoring my backup from a week ago I set up as a new device. I'm in. Everything seems fine but I'm bracing for possible hardware failure.

God whys it taking so drat long to download anything from nvidia

E: was all good until I installed the graphics driver, then same behavior returned. Almost has to be the GPU doesn't it? I tried a secondary monitor over HDMI as well, rather than dp (and tried another dp port as well)

Our power grid is loving third world and we had an unexplained outage yesterday. Are surge protectors even worth it? (Jumping to conclusions here)

codo27 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 30, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Good Surge protectors generally do a good job against protecting against, well, surges. However, there are no standards on branding a product 'surge protector'. A Walmart 'Surge Protector' is about as good as fuckall.

Also, insert some lecture here about spending good money on a PSU to mitigate this problem as well.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

codo27 posted:

Our power grid is loving third world and we had an unexplained outage yesterday. Are surge protectors even worth it? (Jumping to conclusions here)

If you have that kind of power grid, get an ups.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

codo27 posted:

If you have a circuit breaker as opposed to a fuse box, see if your local electrician knows about whole-house surge protectors, for another added layer of safety.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Ok I need a sanity check on on this because holy poo poo is it just me or does Windows 11 sometimes hang briefly doing the most basic things? Opening the Start menu and starting to type is a common one. Another is if I'm opening a program, just about any heavy duty-ish one, the disk usage will spike to 100% and the (therefore?) the rest of the system will become much less responsive. I have a 12700KF, NVME SSD and a 3080, how is any of this excusable?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

every couple days ill get a big hitch from ff14 that im pretty sure shouldnt be the fault of my gpu or cpu so if its a windows 11 error i'd be happy

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

Ok I need a sanity check on on this because holy poo poo is it just me or does Windows 11 sometimes hang briefly doing the most basic things? Opening the Start menu and starting to type is a common one. Another is if I'm opening a program, just about any heavy duty-ish one, the disk usage will spike to 100% and the (therefore?) the rest of the system will become much less responsive. I have a 12700KF, NVME SSD and a 3080, how is any of this excusable?
Your SSD is broken. Get a new one asap and clone.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Pvt. Parts posted:

Do you also have have a HDD installed? If not, SSD's fucky.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'd love to hear the reasoning behind these "ssd broken" diagnoses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Klyith posted:

quote:

Another is if I'm opening a program, just about any heavy duty-ish one, the disk usage will spike to 100% and

Seems like the most obvious case of abnormal behavior and there's little about a disk software-wise that might cause it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 1, 2022

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So it's not normal for disk usage to spike to nearly max when loading something from it to RAM (such as is the case when opening an app)?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I can't say that I open programs large enough to max out the SSD read bandwith with any common frequency...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Keito posted:

I can't say that I open programs large enough to max out the SSD read bandwith with any common frequency...

i'm hoping one day i can find an ssd that'll keep pace with my collection of fork bombs

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A program is data on a disk, you have to read data from disk to run a program. Even a "small" program by install size may scan through a bunch of data on the drive when it runs (for example, an image viewer might scan pictures to make thumbnails).

OTOH many programs load so fast that the disk activity graph isn't high-res enough to see the spike. Also, Windows caches HD data in memory. So if you quit your web browser and then open it again, you'll see near-zero disk activity. The whole thing is still in the RAM, it barely needs to glance at the drive. Windows has some very smart caching systems that try to keep the most-used stuff cached for fast response.

The rest of the system slowing to a crawl is not normal, and could be indicative of hardware problems, with the drive or elsewhere. Or it could be an OS problem -- there are things like search indexing and defender that can eat lots of disk time. But making the call that it is a dying drive based on nothing more that "100% drive use" is bogus.

(For one thing, with a SSD a slow partial death is pretty unlikely in the first place. They tend to die all at once. You can have poo poo that trashes performance, like bad firmware, but that's usually correctable.)

So as an actual test of the drive, I'd:
1. get CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark to look at your drive. The first will tell you drive health, and you can use the second to look at speed and see if it's unusually slow for your expected NVMe drive.
2. Try copying some large media files -- a 1+GB video if you have one, or a bunch of mp3s, whatever. Do they copy quickly, is system performance affected while that's happening?
3. Check event viewer, particularly if 2 has bad results.

Separately from all that, always have backups.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Im an expert thats why. Also, SSDs don't hit %100 randomly, and when they do they are failing.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Windows 11: Im an expert thats why

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dodoman posted:

Windows 11: Im an expert thats why

the 10 thread already got titled from redeyes posting, he doesn't need 11 too

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

A program is data on a disk, you have to read data from disk to run a program. Even a "small" program by install size may scan through a bunch of data on the drive when it runs (for example, an image viewer might scan pictures to make thumbnails).

OTOH many programs load so fast that the disk activity graph isn't high-res enough to see the spike. Also, Windows caches HD data in memory. So if you quit your web browser and then open it again, you'll see near-zero disk activity. The whole thing is still in the RAM, it barely needs to glance at the drive. Windows has some very smart caching systems that try to keep the most-used stuff cached for fast response.

The rest of the system slowing to a crawl is not normal, and could be indicative of hardware problems, with the drive or elsewhere. Or it could be an OS problem -- there are things like search indexing and defender that can eat lots of disk time. But making the call that it is a dying drive based on nothing more that "100% drive use" is bogus.

(For one thing, with a SSD a slow partial death is pretty unlikely in the first place. They tend to die all at once. You can have poo poo that trashes performance, like bad firmware, but that's usually correctable.)

So as an actual test of the drive, I'd:
1. get CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark to look at your drive. The first will tell you drive health, and you can use the second to look at speed and see if it's unusually slow for your expected NVMe drive.
2. Try copying some large media files -- a 1+GB video if you have one, or a bunch of mp3s, whatever. Do they copy quickly, is system performance affected while that's happening?
3. Check event viewer, particularly if 2 has bad results.

Separately from all that, always have backups.

Looks okay to me? Maybe I'm just overreacting. https://imgur.com/IIPeGLl

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pvt. Parts posted:

Looks okay to me? Maybe I'm just overreacting. https://imgur.com/IIPeGLl

Without knowing what model of NVMe drive you have I can say if that's full performance, but that's pretty normal for a cheap or mid-range PCIe3 drive (or one that's a few generations old). Unlikely that anything is seriously wrong with it anyways.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Klyith posted:

Without knowing what model of NVMe drive you have I can say if that's full performance, but that's pretty normal for a cheap or mid-range PCIe3 drive (or one that's a few generations old). Unlikely that anything is seriously wrong with it anyways.

It's a Team Group MP33 M.2 1TB. Seems about right from what I can see online?

I guess I just don't understand how people's SSD can't be working hard when launching an app. Isn't that the main bottleneck most of the time? For example, launching Discord I typically get a moment of 100% disk usage as it loads.

e: also tried your copying files test, seems to be in order. maxes out the drive but I was able to lauch Edge etc. in the meantime. and it completed in around 5-10 seconds?

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

But anyway, one other thing I've noticed after updating is that Windows is just a bit less responsive. Chrome tabs take half a second longer to load when clicking on them. Youtube videos stutter when I mouse over them while they're playing. There's a whole lot of general unresponsiveness here and there—none of it a huge deal or anything, but it's still just noticeable enough to be annoying. Is anyone else seeing this? Is there some kind of logging happening behind the scenes slowing things down now that I'm in the beta channel or something?

Okay, so I'm about 99% sure the problem is related to power management somehow. There's only system stuttering going on when my hardware is at near-idle. At a moderate load or more, there are no issues. I also noticed some regular stuttering in 4K youtube videos, which went away when I boost locked my GPU (which consumes way too much power to do). It also mostly, but not entirely, went away when I changed the windows power profile to performance. So yeah, there's some weird power management poo poo going on, and I haven't found a satisfactory solution yet that doesn't cause my GPU to constantly consume 130 - 150W.

There may be some CPU power state related issues too, considering I'm getting stuttering in non-GPU-related areas such as webpage scrolling, even when boost locking the GPU.

This wasn't an issue before switching to the beta channel. I could change back, but then the issue could just come back when the update goes public later this month. Sigh...

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 2, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's a Team Group MP33 M.2 1TB. Seems about right from what I can see online?

That seems about right then, that's actually faster than reviewed performance of that model.

So personally I would write off small problems like this to "windows 11 is still less than 1 year old". If your start menu isn't responsive the first thing to do is disable bing so your start menu isn't loading ads web results.

Pvt. Parts posted:

I guess I just don't understand how people's SSD can't be working hard when launching an app. Isn't that the main bottleneck most of the time? For example, launching Discord I typically get a moment of 100% disk usage as it loads.

As I mentioned, windows does a lot of caching in memory to avoid disk reads, dating back from the spinning rust era when loading from disk was terrible. If you have a PC with lots of ram, don't reboot or hibernate frequently, and use mostly the same subset of programs, you won't see much disk use when launching an app. It's already there.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Klyith posted:

So personally I would write off small problems like this to "windows 11 is still less than 1 year old". If your start menu isn't responsive the first thing to do is disable bing so your start menu isn't loading ads web results.

Kick rear end, thanks for the tip/link

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Okay, so I'm about 99% sure the problem is related to power management somehow. There's only system stuttering going on when my hardware is at near-idle. At a moderate load or more, there are no issues. I also noticed some regular stuttering in 4K youtube videos, which went away when I boost locked my GPU (which consumes way too much power to do). It also mostly, but not entirely, went away when I changed the windows power profile to performance. So yeah, there's some weird power management poo poo going on, and I haven't found a satisfactory solution yet that doesn't cause my GPU to constantly consume 130 - 150W.

There may be some CPU power state related issues too, considering I'm getting stuttering in non-GPU-related areas such as webpage scrolling, even when boost locking the GPU.

This wasn't an issue before switching to the beta channel. I could change back, but then the issue could just come back when the update goes public later this month. Sigh...

I guess I wouldn't be surprised by this. Since putting Windows 11 on my work laptop, putting the computer to sleep consumes roughly as much power as when it's on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

As I mentioned, windows does a lot of caching in memory to avoid disk reads, dating back from the spinning rust era when loading from disk was terrible. If you have a PC with lots of ram, don't reboot or hibernate frequently, and use mostly the same subset of programs, you won't see much disk use when launching an app. It's already there.

As I recall, when this feature was new there were legions of people all over the internet asking how to turn it off. They saw it using RAM in the task manager, and just couldn't comprehend that this isn't a bad thing. Eventually, Windows just started reporting that memory as free.

It was basically the Vista version of "how do I disable swap."

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Blue Footed Booby posted:

As I recall, when this feature was new there were legions of people all over the internet asking how to turn it off. They saw it using RAM in the task manager, and just couldn't comprehend that this isn't a bad thing. Eventually, Windows just started reporting that memory as free.

It was basically the Vista version of "how do I disable swap."

I remember poo poo like that and :downsbravo: Same guides told you to disable search indexing and hardware acceleration.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think early Vista the search indexer was borked and would never stop making your drives rattle like machine guns or something.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think early Vista the search indexer was borked and would never stop making your drives rattle like machine guns or something.

Mechanical drives were so terrible for the usage pattern of a normal desktop PC and we just never knew how bad it was until SSDs. Indexing thousands of little files scattered all over a mechanical hard drive was never going to be a good experience.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Search indexing has always had the potential to get borked and be a problem, it definitely didn't stop in the vista days. It maybe got better over time, or else the increased core count over the years just made it less noticeable.

VostokProgram posted:

Mechanical drives were so terrible for the usage pattern of a normal desktop PC and we just never knew how bad it was until SSDs. Indexing thousands of little files scattered all over a mechanical hard drive was never going to be a good experience.

An index database is what you want on spinning rust though. On SSDs you can search through raw content in real time -- I've been using grep on a few thousand text files recently and it completes in less than 1 second.

The indexer made a HDD rattle with constant seeks while it was building the database, but if everything was working properly that would a) eventually be finished and b) pause whenever there was user activity. The problem was for whatever reason it often broke and didn't do either of those things.

tl;dr turning off search indexer / checking the boxes to disable it on drives isn't totally crazy. I wouldn't tell people to do it if they weren't having problems though. At least not on recent OSes because I'm pretty sure type-to-find in start menu needs an index.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Search indexing has always had the potential to get borked and be a problem, it definitely didn't stop in the vista days. It maybe got better over time, or else the increased core count over the years just made it less noticeable.

Meanwhile, Everything seems to have just hard-solved this problem...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Meanwhile, Everything seems to have just hard-solved this problem...

I think the windows search indexer also indexes file contents but everything only indexes file names.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

This was still the case as of 10. Earlier this year I told someone to get an SSD because the laptop they'd bought a few years ago with an SSHD was completely unusable due to Windows maxing out the hard drive whenever it was on and getting absolutely nothing done. Like it'd just loving refuse to not brick up the hard drive whenever the computer was on but it'd never get anything useful done. Ultimately my diagnosis was simply "get an SSD" because I wasn't about to get involved in that poo poo.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 2, 2022

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Starting today (after being out of town since last Sunday), I started seeing a /!\ on the Defender icon in the system tray. I investigated, and memory protection is not enabled. I tried to enable it, but evidently I've got a pile of drivers that would get blocked from loading if this setting were turned on. I'm aware that those programs that claim to keep your drivers up-to-date are not worth regularly running, but would something like that be useful in this case? If so, does anyone have a utility they'd recommend?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

hooah posted:

Starting today (after being out of town since last Sunday), I started seeing a /!\ on the Defender icon in the system tray. I investigated, and memory protection is not enabled. I tried to enable it, but evidently I've got a pile of drivers that would get blocked from loading if this setting were turned on. I'm aware that those programs that claim to keep your drivers up-to-date are not worth regularly running, but would something like that be useful in this case? If so, does anyone have a utility they'd recommend?

What are the drivers? Often it's the driver components of like one device showing up in the list as four or five different things. You can usually uninstall the drivers/software for that device, turn on memory protection, and then reinstall the software/drivers.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Just bought a new PC and am working with a HDD (D:) + SSD (C:) combo for the first time.

When I create new folders on the desktop, it's automatically for the SSD. Dumb question but how do I make them on the HDD / switch them to the HDD?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WerthersWay posted:

Just bought a new PC and am working with a HDD (D:) + SSD (C:) combo for the first time.

When I create new folders on the desktop, it's automatically for the SSD. Dumb question but how do I make them on the HDD / switch them to the HDD?

Open your user folder (C:\Users\YourUserName\) and right click on the folders for Desktop, Downloads, Music, etc. In the Location tab you can change to a different folder on your D: drive.

When you do this it'll ask if you want to move everything in the existing folder to the new location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

is there any difference between running Ubuntu on WSL2 and a separate partition/boot entirely?