Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

sinburger posted:

All done!

Cooked the ribs around 270 for 3 hours on each smoker.

Pellet grill:

Offset:

Then wrapped in butcher paper with some tallow for another hour:

Finished product, offset cooked on the left :

Both were pretty drat good, however the offset was more tender and had more smoke flavor. All in all I'd go for the offset when cooking, but if I didn't have time to tend the fire the pellet grill with a smoker tube would do nicely.

Looking good!

I’m in a WSM and this summer I was over a friend’s house and had ribs off a pellet smoker. The difference in the smoke flavor was crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Those are some drat fine looking ribs. Beef back ribs are my wife’s absolute favorite.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Those look amazing, I'll tell you what.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Yea it was a fun experiment. Both ribs probably could've used an extra hour wrapped and cooking, but children needed to be fed.

I absolutely think if I had a smoker tube running that the pellet ribs would've been a lot better.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
If you like back ribs you should definitely track down some chuck or plate ribs. Better in every way though they will cost a lot more and take longer to cook.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Kaddish posted:

If you like back ribs you should definitely track down some chuck or plate ribs. Better in every way though they will cost a lot more and take longer to cook.

I’ve been trying to find big old beef dino ribs to smoke all summer :mad:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This weekend is the yearly buy one get two sale for ribs. The st Paddy's day of baby backs

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I find them easy at Costco but lately they want 7.50/# for them. I don't feel like spending 80 bucks for a two pack.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Don’t know what communities you have around you but Brazilian butchers around where I live usually carry beef chuck ribs.

Edit: also hump meat, which, uh I’m not sure how you prepare.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wanting to do a brisket on my Weber since it’s been awhile since I smoked anything and I really want to give it a go on the Weber rather than my electric—I need to get it dialed in because a temp controller isn’t in the budget right now, usually I just go by time when doing normal grilling and go on the indirect side. But for smoking I know I want to be able to get it to 225 and keep it stable. Does amount of charcoal just kind of control how long it’ll burn for, or is it going to vary the temperature in accordance with the amount? It’s gonna take some time to dial in the grill, I feel like, and my Weber BT probe is being wonky and not wanting to read half the time. Guess I shoulda gotten my IR thermometer from my toolbox at work or something.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Wanting to do a brisket on my Weber since it’s been awhile since I smoked anything and I really want to give it a go on the Weber rather than my electric—I need to get it dialed in because a temp controller isn’t in the budget right now, usually I just go by time when doing normal grilling and go on the indirect side. But for smoking I know I want to be able to get it to 225 and keep it stable. Does amount of charcoal just kind of control how long it’ll burn for, or is it going to vary the temperature in accordance with the amount? It’s gonna take some time to dial in the grill, I feel like, and my Weber BT probe is being wonky and not wanting to read half the time. Guess I shoulda gotten my IR thermometer from my toolbox at work or something.

Assuming you mean Weber kettle, you'll want a water pan under the brisket to help as a heat sink. Use the minion method (basket or small pile of unlit coals and wood chunks, light a chimney with a handful of coals, then dump the lit on the unlit).

You'll need to keep an eye on vents because the kettle takes in a lot of air. I usually had to run bottom vents nearly closed and top vent maybe half open / adjusted as needed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Assuming you mean Weber kettle, you'll want a water pan under the brisket to help as a heat sink. Use the minion method (basket or small pile of unlit coals and wood chunks, light a chimney with a handful of coals, then dump the lit on the unlit).

You'll need to keep an eye on vents because the kettle takes in a lot of air. I usually had to run bottom vents nearly closed and top vent maybe half open / adjusted as needed.

Thanks!

And yeah it’s a Weber kettle, basic size and model. Usually I leave the lid vent in one position and control heat with the bottom vent, will give your suggestion a try. I forgot about using a water pan and didn’t know about the minion method with charcoal. Is there a better kind of charcoal to use or is kingsford briquettes just fine? Is there an advantage to lump charcoal or more natural charcoal etc?

I’ve been smoking for a bit, still somewhat inexperienced, and I am still trying to get the hang of charcoal as I’ve almost exclusively used gas up til recently mainly because charcoal can be a lot of work.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks!

And yeah it’s a Weber kettle, basic size and model. Usually I leave the lid vent in one position and control heat with the bottom vent, will give your suggestion a try. I forgot about using a water pan and didn’t know about the minion method with charcoal. Is there a better kind of charcoal to use or is kingsford briquettes just fine? Is there an advantage to lump charcoal or more natural charcoal etc?

I’ve been smoking for a bit, still somewhat inexperienced, and I am still trying to get the hang of charcoal as I’ve almost exclusively used gas up til recently mainly because charcoal can be a lot of work.

I've only used Kingsford briquettes but haven't had any issues.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Thanks!

Is there a better kind of charcoal to use or is kingsford briquettes just fine? Is there an advantage to lump charcoal or more natural charcoal etc?

The general consensus is that briquettes burn cooler and more consistently. And lump burns a bit hotter and is more susceptible to temperature fluctuations.

I tend to like lump because it burns cleaner, leaves less ash, and in my opinion tastes better.

I’ve been using lump after switching from briquettes about two years ago. However this weekend I gave briquettes another try. Really couldn’t tell any difference in the WSM.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Brissssket

Ran at 250F overnight unwrapped, hit 200F internal at 10am this morning, wrapped in foil and held in a 150f oven all day until ready to slice this evening.

Pretty good, but seemed undersalted which I cannot believe because historically I over salt everything.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

The general consensus is that briquettes burn cooler and more consistently. And lump burns a bit hotter and is more susceptible to temperature fluctuations.

I tend to like lump because it burns cleaner, leaves less ash, and in my opinion tastes better.

I’ve been using lump after switching from briquettes about two years ago. However this weekend I gave briquettes another try. Really couldn’t tell any difference in the WSM.

Cowboy brand started selling briquettes that are just hardwood and a vegetarian binder. I have really, really liked using it, you get the consistency of briquettes with the flavor and heat of lump.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So, The Stall.

You're supposed to just wait it out right?
Like just wait like 4 hours and move on with your life?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HootTheOwl posted:

So, The Stall.

Depends on the item; some methods wrap at that time to help get through it faster I think

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

Depends on the item; some methods wrap at that time to help get through it faster I think

I'm going to be making ribs on Friday and a Brisket on Sunday.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So, The Stall.

Yes.

You just have to be zen with it. I feel like I spend the majority of my smokes in the stall. Just have a couple of beers and ride it out.

The number 1 killer of good bbq is impatience.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

HootTheOwl posted:

So, The Stall.

Mad Scientist BBQ has a great video about cooking brisket, and in the most recent one he goes into detail in when he wraps. It has nothing to do with getting through the stall, and everything to do with fat render, color, and shrinkage. He only checks temperature before wrapping to make sure something super squirrly hasn't happened.

So yea, ride it out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sinburger posted:

Mad Scientist BBQ has a great video about cooking brisket, and in the most recent one he goes into detail in when he wraps. It has nothing to do with getting through the stall, and everything to do with fat render, color, and shrinkage. He only checks temperature before wrapping to make sure something super squirrly hasn't happened.

So yea, ride it out.

The recent stuff he did with Goldee’s bbq (#1 in Texas now?) where they were like, “eh we cook it till it’s done and only then wrap it in foil to rest in a warming oven.” Kind of shows that there isn’t a right way, just your preference.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Anyone here have an opinion on “country ribs”. My old man has gotten hardcore into them and now will cook a couple each time he’s doing burgers. They’re decent but not amazing imo.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

Anyone here have an opinion on “country ribs”. My old man has gotten hardcore into them and now will cook a couple each time he’s doing burgers. They’re decent but not amazing imo.

I cook them like pulled pork, because that’s essentially what they are. My wife likes them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Warbird posted:

I like to sear them like steak

E; I'm talking about the boneless ones.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 7, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are a couple different kinds. My favorite kind are the ones that are basically just bone-in pork chops with half the eye. I cook 'em like pork chops

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 7, 2022

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Murgos posted:

The recent stuff he did with Goldee’s bbq (#1 in Texas now?) where they were like, “eh we cook it till it’s done and only then wrap it in foil to rest in a warming oven.” Kind of shows that there isn’t a right way, just your preference.

Was Goldee's #1 on the Texas Monthly list? If so, TM's report was that the BBQ at the top 10 was effectively interchangeable in quality and it was as much a judgment on the quality/innovation on the sides. There's always the potential for a restaurant to get a brisket or rack that just doesn't turn out well, but they've all gotten so good that you're in good hands regardless.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Moved into the new house and fired up a kettle for the first time in over a decade. Smoked a couple chickens over post oak. The skin didn't turn out quite like I wanted (though acceptable) but the meat was perfect.

Pardon the moving chaos just out of frame. We had literally been in the house less than 24 hours.

Next time I need to start with more lit coals so that I don't struggle so much to get up to 300. I wanted to do 350 but spent most of the cook at 250-275 with the vents wide open. At least I stumbled onto a good starting point for the ribs I'll do this weekend :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
3-2-1, ok actually like 1.7 ribs:
I added the sprouts and corn after 3

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Just did a batch of wings. I was gonna do it yesterday but our AC died. You'd think grilling outside's perfect for that, but when it's over 90 inside I didn't want to go out and get all sweaty dealing with the coals when I come inside and just feel even more gross.

Excited to try out these new sauces I picked up at a random store I ran into in Atlantic City.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
smoked a chuck roast and pulled it

just made a shepard's pie with the leftovers

still can't take a decent photo to save my life tho

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I love smoking chuck roasts but haven’t thought to make shepherds (cottage?) pie with it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kaddish posted:

I love smoking chuck roasts but haven’t thought to make shepherds (cottage?) pie with it.

i was just clearing out the fridge, but it worked pretty well

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stringent posted:

Humble brag here about your mouth watering photo skills
I want to make this.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Stringent posted:

How’s the smokey flavor work with shepard’s pie? I know I like to add a good amount of spices and veggies to my pies, and wondering if it would clash with the smokiness or work together.

I’ve got a poo poo ton of leftover brisket in the freezer and this seems like a good idea to repurpose.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

How’s the smokey flavor work with shepard’s pie? I know I like to add a good amount of spices and veggies to my pies, and wondering if it would clash with the smokiness or work together.

I’ve got a poo poo ton of leftover brisket in the freezer and this seems like a good idea to repurpose.

i liked the smoke, the bigger problem was the rub kinda overwhelmed everything. it wasn't bad at all, but the bbq was definitely the main flavor.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put a butt on this morning and I’m so I pleased with myself, I haven’t lifted the lid once. So should I check it at 195 or so or wait til 203? Normally at this point I’ve been futzing with it a lot so I can easier judge when to pull it. But not this time.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Put a butt on this morning and I’m so I pleased with myself, I haven’t lifted the lid once. So should I check it at 195 or so or wait til 203? Normally at this point I’ve been futzing with it a lot so I can easier judge when to pull it. But not this time.

I always let it go past 200. Never had one that “felt” ready at 195. Just let her go bud.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob A Feet posted:

I always let it go past 200. Never had one that “felt” ready at 195. Just let her go bud.

Roger that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought a super discounted brisket the day after July 4th and froze it. Thawing it now.