Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Hausu Usher posted:

The defensiveness of the horrible scrotes ITT. :sickos:

Thanks for making this a better place dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"Please start treating people nicely and respect when they disagree with you. Also YOU'RE ALL HORRIBLE SCROTES"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I was with the dude when his point was that it was a situation that wouldn't have gone on as long if people were asked to just move on. But god drat has it become a stupid hill to die on.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think you horrible scrotes should be nicer

yea ok posted:

Genuinely sorry for assuming someone listens to Cornette just for asking an abrasive question that sounds just like him.

Oh right it wasn't an assumption. Getting really old having to defend myself and being called a Horrible scrote because I didn't let some guy know the thing he definitely really wanted to know.

Cavauro posted:

nobody was being a horrible scrote in any way, or rounding anyone up. why do you believe this?

Gumball Gumption posted:

"Here's an example of a post where a mod could of helped"

"Oh wow yeah, that's a really bad post that obviously was trying to upset people"

"FIRST OFF YOU HORRIBLE SCROTE"

Cavauro posted:

Thanks for making this a better place dude

Rarity posted:

"Please start treating people nicely and respect when they disagree with you. Also YOU'RE ALL HORRIBLE SCROTES"

Wait, what the gently caress is going on?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Feedback thread bullies

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Hausu Usher posted:

Wait, what the gently caress is going on?

It is late and I'm tired, mea culpa

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Scrotes

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Scrote Driver off the top of the triple cage

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

It seems people have taken "horrible scrote" in the wrong way, so I apologise. I was just using fun flowerly language for fun and for a moment thought people were joining in with the bit which confused things.

In proper terms I just meant being nasty to someone because you believe they are secretly here to ruin your hobby by repeating lines from a podcaster is probably an attitude we should move away from.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hate the word scrote. Feels bad to read and to say it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The Hausu Usher posted:

It seems people have taken "horrible scrote" in the wrong way, so I apologise. I was just using fun flowerly language for fun and for a moment thought people were joining in with the bit which confused things.

In proper terms I just meant being nasty to someone because you believe they are secretly here to ruin your hobby by repeating lines from a podcaster is probably an attitude we should move away from.

If you want to post Corny stuff do it in the Courantine thread. It's a thread where you can post about Cornett and his opinions and thoughts unimpeded.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

Word, I guess this is how a solid example of how most of the problems here are people coming in with hyperbolic and insulting language and then being shocked people are mad and had a reaction to their post. I don't think anyone was being nasty because they think the dude was secretly a listener to a podcast. They quite clearly have posted that they were being nasty to a dude who has said he listens to the podcast and likes it and then opened the thread with a question that matches the podcast opinions and is worded in a way that's going to start bickering.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Im sorry taking about daddy magic reignited the powder keg of opinions

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

lol remove the cornette element entirely and you're still left with:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If you jump into a thread to "ask a question" that is really just you expressing an opinion like an rear end in a top hat in any thread on SA associated with a niche or a hobby it's probably going to go the exact same way.

so is that, "conspiracy theory" even worth discussing when the post by itself is still worthy of derision?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

If we’re gonna relitigate this one let’s at least do it with something fun like “did the CM Punk promo start well?”

Which actually went reasonably okay.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
last page and a half a good thread example of why we need a more active moderation imo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KungFu Grip posted:

last page and a half a good thread example of why we need a more active moderation imo

Oh no it isn't

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Shard posted:

For my own two cents since my post was pointed out I think I gave them the response they deserved which was disbelief at the idea that someone could think Moxley is such a bad wrestler he had to be carried by Jericho. It just didn't make any sense. But I did actively attempt to not be mean in my post

I can't find it but pretend I posted the gif of Claudio carrying Moxley.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'm not entirely clear on what's going on, but whatever's happening seemed to escalate pretty quickly.

The initial question and discussion, about the post about Moxley being bad, was interesting to me because it was a good look at what a bunch of posters thought about what was and was not an issue. Here's a post that was dealt with kind of harshly, here's why some people thought that was fine. What's kinda vexing to me is how the discussion of that managed to take off into some slapfight so quickly.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

What's the uterine equivalent of "scrote"?

"Fallope?"

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Doesn't seem that hard to understand. Dude asked why someone who admitted to liking Cornette got driven away for posting a horrible Cornette take and then accused everyone involved of horrible conspiracy posting and being horrible scrotes. For some reason the people being called horrible scrotes took offense to it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hand Knit posted:

I'm not entirely clear on what's going on, but whatever's happening seemed to escalate pretty quickly.

The initial question and discussion, about the post about Moxley being bad, was interesting to me because it was a good look at what a bunch of posters thought about what was and was not an issue. Here's a post that was dealt with kind of harshly, here's why some people thought that was fine. What's kinda vexing to me is how the discussion of that managed to take off into some slapfight so quickly.

I don't think it's very confusing tbh. usher asked what the problem with the post was, got told why it would rub people the wrong way, and then responded with 'well nobody who isn't a hosed in the head conspiracy theorist about other posters would be fine with it' which obviously feels kind of rear end to the people who answered them in good faith the first time around

also I didn't know that the original poster had admitted to being a cornette fan in the first place for all that says about whether or not people can see the wave crest on the horizon about that whole deal

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I was wrong. From the context of what escape artist said in that thread it seemed like they were brand new to AEW threads; but their post history sure has a few posts on there.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 2, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i just think people should react to being told that their gripes are weird and possibly not based in reality in some way other than having a big fit about Thread Bullies and Toxic Posting Culture

Alaois fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 2, 2022

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The mods can't force people to like someone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m reading through the last dozen pages of today and like you can see it pop up again and again. People asking HOW anyone could have criticisms about AEW. People saying that it’s “performative” or “disingenuous”. These appeals to like fans owing AEW something or I don’t know what. “How can you watch a show this good and not be appreciative?”

It’s weird and like… people have subjective opinions. “Good” and “bad” are subjective. The weird need some posters have to make every poster criticizing something not just “wrong” but outright deceptive and with some kind of ulterior motive seems very constant. Like at some point you have to be able to accept that some people just don’t like X or appreciate it in a different way.

And yeah. Maybe someone WILL be carrying a grudge or trolling or something. But if people are asking “how can anyone criticize this show?” then there’s no room for anything else.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

???

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Walla posted:

Doesn't seem that hard to understand. Dude asked why someone who admitted to liking Cornette got driven away for posting a horrible Cornette take and then accused everyone involved of horrible conspiracy posting and being horrible scrotes. For some reason the people being called horrible scrotes took offense to it.

I get the person coming in to the thread with a dodgy opinion. I see that happen in the other sports threads plenty, someone comes in and shares one of those opinions we associate with the bad internet Out There. And they get dunked on and made fun of, all in due course, but I don't see it escalate like in here. I guess this goes back to what I mentioned earlier, about being more patient and tolerant. That doesn't mean you have to treat every bad opinion with hugs and love (though, I mean, we did all come from somewhere ourselves), but rather that someone being dumb and wrong isn't the end of the world. And even if the other person escalates first (and most people will always believe the other person escalates first), that doesn't mean you have to respond in kind.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I’m reading through the last dozen pages of today and like you can see it pop up again and again. People asking HOW anyone could have criticisms about AEW. People saying that it’s “performative” or “disingenuous”. These appeals to like fans owing AEW something or I don’t know what. “How can you watch a show this good and not be appreciative?”

It’s weird and like… people have subjective opinions. “Good” and “bad” are subjective. The weird need some posters have to make every poster criticizing something not just “wrong” but outright deceptive and with some kind of ulterior motive seems very constant. Like at some point you have to be able to accept that some people just don’t like X or appreciate it in a different way.

And yeah. Maybe someone WILL be carrying a grudge or trolling or something. But if people are asking “how can anyone criticize this show?” then there’s no room for anything else.

But...this complaint itself is disingenuous. The thread last night and today has had a ton of discussion about the positives and negatives of the show last night and the build to the PPV. Is it not possible to focus on the vast majority of the discussion thread that is discussion, instead of this desire to point out that there are some unknown number of people who have deemed it impossible to criticize AEW? I didn't see anyone saying many of the things you're accusing, and I did a lot of thread reading today, but I could have just missed it. (The one I did see was a couple of people calling 1glitch0 disingenuous, and then that part of the argument was quickly moved on from)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I get the person coming in to the thread with a dodgy opinion. I see that happen in the other sports threads plenty, someone comes in and shares one of those opinions we associate with the bad internet Out There. And they get dunked on and made fun of, all in due course, but I don't see it escalate like in here. I guess this goes back to what I mentioned earlier, about being more patient and tolerant. That doesn't mean you have to treat every bad opinion with hugs and love (though, I mean, we did all come from somewhere ourselves), but rather that someone being dumb and wrong isn't the end of the world. And even if the other person escalates first (and most people will always believe the other person escalates first), that doesn't mean you have to respond in kind.

Idk about anyone else but I thought that guy in here was calling me a mean name so I was just giving my side :razzy: Just a misunderstanding since, as we all know, tone is difficult to ascertain at times.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

yea ok posted:

But...this complaint itself is disingenuous.

Or: “hey, I disagree with how you see things but I know you believe what you’re saying, so let’s talk.”

Or just use the ignore button.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I typed more than that and clarified, but I'm not going to ignore people in the thread for talking about the forum, even if they disagree with me. Thank you for your suggestion.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

STAC Goat posted:

yes, people have subjective opinions, but the only times people get met with 'yo i don't think what you're saying is, like, factual' is when someone comes in with an opinion that doesn't actually, yknow, match the facts. stuff like people appearing on the shows, match finishes and lengths, stuff like that. there's been people swinging into the threads on tuesday complaining that there hasn't been a followup on a match angle that was last mentioned on friday (the last time the show was on tv). the only good answer to why that sort of thing happens is usually 'they're getting their opinions in places other than watching the show,' though some goons do have media literacy poor enough that it happens even to those who watch it all. other discussions happen fine and go on constantly

also, point to exactly one person anywhere who's legitimately said it's impossible to have criticisms about aew or in disbelief that anyone said anything

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

yea ok posted:

I typed more than that and clarified, but I'm not going to ignore people in the thread for talking about the forum, even if they disagree with me. Thank you for your suggestion.

And for the record I completely respect and appreciate you coming at me in good faith. And the truth is I probably conflated too many ideas into a "theme" in that post and made it seem more like a universal mantra than it is. I'm sorry about that. I see posters like yourself disagreeing in good faith and engaging and then saying simple fair things like "we just like different things." I also see stuff like "Performatively criticizing a small component of AEW's build to a main event ppv match between their two biggest stars to own the weekly discussion thread" or "gonna just keep disingenuously calling a producer of the show Some Dude so I don't actually have to understand the story". And these are individual posts on the extreme end of things but I think the basic problem we have is that they come in this huge maelstrom of posts so then all that other stuff... the "ribbing" and the friendly name calling and the heated exchanges and the passionate defenses of their favorites and the callouts of people with pasts or supposed hidden agendas. It all kind of tends to blur together. Which I guess is what I did an I apologize for it. But I also think its kind of easy to do and then it becomes easier to just assume the worst or get tired of it all.

And I think that's just why I think people need to at some point hold back a little. Myself included. I regret the post I made. I should have just stepped back and taken a little more time make sure I saw what I saw and interpreted things fairly. Don't punch just because you think you're justified. Give someone a little more benefit of the doubt than maybe they deserve. I just think its a tone and vibe that needs to break somewhere.

flatluigi posted:

also, point to exactly one person anywhere who's legitimately said it's impossible to have criticisms about aew or in disbelief that anyone said anything
I think the post/discussion that I kind of knee jerked to was this and the resulting discussion and its very much NOT "you can't criticize AEW." And I don't see the more inflammatory posts closer to that so I can only assume they don't exist and I was just overreacting to things. So mea culpa. I'm sorry. That's on me.

Its weird because I swear I saw a post that said something like "people forget we're watching the best north american wrestling of all time" and for the life of me I can't find it. So I guess I'm losing my mind. My bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like I'm not even talking about anyone else but me at this stage. There's that part of me that wants to keep looking for the posts that I was reacting to. Sure they must be there somewhere in the dozen pages and people i have on ignore. But there's another part of me that simply says "get over it, let it go, accept you were wrong, apologize, move on."

And I dunno. I feel that first voice is always on around here and the second isn't heard enough. But that starts with me. And I'm sorry.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the ignore function would be far more useful if it didn't put that stupid notice on there asking you to click to see the post taking up nearly as much space as the bad post would have

just make the post invisible altogether like it never even happened

I tried using it once many years ago and those notices were more annoying than the posts I was trying to ignore so I gave up on the feature forever

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think one source of animosity on the forum is that there is one camp who engages in the tribalistic “my guy is better than your guy” posting because it’s fun, while the other camp is genuinely getting angry that people like the wrestler that they don’t.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Orange Carlisle posted:

the ignore function would be far more useful if it didn't put that stupid notice on there asking you to click to see the post taking up nearly as much space as the bad post would have

just make the post invisible altogether like it never even happened

I tried using it once many years ago and those notices were more annoying than the posts I was trying to ignore so I gave up on the feature forever

there's some scripts and addons that hide those notices iirc, but the problem i found is that even when that happens other people end up responding to the posts from the people you have on ignore anyway, so you still get to see the conversation that happens

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I think one source of animosity on the forum is that there is one camp who engages in the tribalistic “my guy is better than your guy” posting because it’s fun, while the other camp is genuinely getting angry that people like the wrestler that they don’t.

Says the flip flopper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I absolutely pick sides based on what will make people angry because lol don't be angry about that