Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

and all of his weird and intense (and maybe gay?) spoken word stuff

That Bob Dylan cribbed for songs on Time Out Of Mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I saw a Henry Rollins spoken word like ten years ago and I still think about it every so often, it was that good

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Back in the mid-late 90s a buddy and I were watching MTV one afternoon and saw that Rollins was doing a spoken word show that night at Kansas University, which was like a 3-hour drive away. This was during a pretty intense blizzard in the region, but we decided to hop in his car anyway and try to make the show. 3-hour drive turned into a 6-hour drive, and we get to the campus at least an hour past when the show was supposed to start. Rollins was also stuck in the blizzard, and rather than cancel the show he phoned ahead to have the whole auditorium stay put. It was after 11:30 when he finally started, and nearly 2am when he finished. Still one of the best theater experiences I've had.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got my new Mountain Goats album in and whole poo poo is the hole tight on spindle. Like really tight, so much I feel like I’m gonna snap the record working it off the spindle. Is there a way to make the hood less snug? I’ve heard turning a ball point pen back and forth in it does the trick?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Henry Rollins is weird and intense and half the people that know who Henry Rollins is are convinced he's gay, which he denies. He's also somehow still sorta famous even though he was mostly known for his music which hasn't really been a thing in a long time.

I think the gay rumor was based out of basic homophobia in the 90s. He used to wear skirts on stage if I remember correctly, and he was friends with RuPaul back in the day.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got my new Mountain Goats album in and whole poo poo is the hole tight on spindle. Like really tight, so much I feel like I’m gonna snap the record working it off the spindle. Is there a way to make the hood less snug? I’ve heard turning a ball point pen back and forth in it does the trick?

This has been a problem with new pressings lately. Like I said I just gently twist a sharp knife in the hole. It usually doesn't take much. Or a drill bit works too

Love Rollins but haha the label is not as important as keeping your grooves clean and unscratched. Definitely not #1.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

I always thought DK were very particular with their mixing/production. Lotsa textures pumping out of a half-broken speaker in a post-apocalyptic garbage truck a block away.

God, I love how those albums sound.

This is true for the rest of their stuff but it's pretty obvious they didn't have the money or resources they would later on that first record. It's very weak sounding on any format I've ever heard it on.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

This is true for the rest of their stuff but it's pretty obvious they didn't have the money or resources they would later on that first record. It's very weak sounding on any format I've ever heard it on.

Very true. I'm trying to recall where I read it, but Jello was saying there is a whole new remaster of the album thats nearly complete, but because all the former band members cant get their poo poo sorted out personally it may never see the light of day. It apparently sounds wonderful, just night and day. I'll try and rustle up the story about that.

It took me awhile, but I found all of DK's stuff in their first run pressings

https://www.discogs.com/user/dorium_Tres/collection?search=dead+kennedys

My copy of Fresh Fruit is a SUPER minty original UK pressing I found in a bin like 6 years ago for $20. It has the original back cover art, poster and the jacket and disc are crisp. Apparently it came from a local SF radio DJ's private collection. They definitely never played it. Still sounds like it sounds though lol

https://www.discogs.com/release/372568-Dead-Kennedys-Fresh-Fruit-For-Rotting-Vegetables

the only album of theirs I would like to replace with a better sounding copy is In God We Trust. It skips pretty bad during Nazi Punks gently caress Off which is a drat shame. Even found a copy of Frankenchrist with the hype sticker and shrink wrap on and the banned HR Geiger poster.

Found a story about the Fresh Fruit remix by Chris Lord-Alge

https://blabbermouth.net/news/dead-kennedys-iconic-debut-fresh-fruit-for-rotting-vegetables-gets-remix-treatment

quote:

"Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables - 2022 Mix" will be available September 30, 2022 via Manifesto Records.

I'm definitely interested!

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 1, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Very true. I'm trying to recall where I read it, but Jello was saying there is a whole new remaster of the album thats nearly complete, but because all the former band members cant get their poo poo sorted out personally it may never see the light of day. It apparently sounds wonderful, just night and day. I'll try and rustle up the story about that.

It took me awhile, but I found all of DK's stuff in their first run pressings

https://www.discogs.com/user/dorium_Tres/collection?search=dead+kennedys

My copy of Fresh Fruit is a SUPER minty original UK pressing I found in a bin like 6 years ago for $20. It has the original back cover art, poster and the jacket and disc are crisp. Apparently it came from a local SF radio DJ's private collection. They definitely never played it. Still sounds like it sounds though lol

https://www.discogs.com/release/372568-Dead-Kennedys-Fresh-Fruit-For-Rotting-Vegetables

Some kind of remaster (or possibly a remix) came out recently and he put out a big angry letter about it and how it's credited as a project by the band except he wasn't consulted. He actually listed off which were his preferred pressings and one of them is the UK one that has "Porky's prime cuts" in the deadwax which is probably what you have. I have the red UK second press which has that etching and it's the same lacquer as the first press. Whether or not this new reissue is subpar or he's jsut still pissed off at the other three I can't say for sure. But he had nothing but bad things to say about it. It's hard to tell because he's famously a curmudgeon when it has anything to do with the other three and any reissue of the DK back catalog. Though I totally understand and agree with his constant rage about it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jello is gunna be Jello and be pissed how the DK stuff shook out in the end. I'm still curious to see what happens with the remix and how it sounds. the worst that happens is its bad and a waste of 30 minutes to listen to or its actually decent and Jello is just upset about how it came to be. we'll see in about 29 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDJf7aa9dI

I dont hate it.

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Picked up an interesting one at goodwill. Obviously an Asian market release, but Discogs doesn’t seem to know it exists

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

Jello is gunna be Jello and be pissed how the DK stuff shook out in the end. I'm still curious to see what happens with the remix and how it sounds. the worst that happens is its bad and a waste of 30 minutes to listen to or its actually decent and Jello is just upset about how it came to be. we'll see in about 29 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDJf7aa9dI

I dont hate it.

gently caress supporting the other three though.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Slight overreaction on the Fresh Fruit disc. The distortions in Jello's voice happen on the same places as it does on the digital, just slightly emphasized.

loving lol

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Picked up an interesting one at goodwill. Obviously an Asian market release, but Discogs doesn’t seem to know it exists

https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/7vky9o/between_the_50s_and_70s_a_record_label_in_taiwan/

I have a couple of these bootlegs floating around. A Kingston Trio and of course a Whipped Cream that I have probably posted here before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sporklift posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/7vky9o/between_the_50s_and_70s_a_record_label_in_taiwan/

I have a couple of these bootlegs floating around. A Kingston Trio and of course a Whipped Cream that I have probably posted here before.

Whoa

quote:

Here is a cool bit of record history, between the 50s and 70s, The United States Taiwan Defense Command saw over 30000 US troops station in Taiwan. “First Record”, a record label situated in Taiwan took advantage of this and made counterfeit copies of hit albums and sold them to the soldiers at discounted price. The covers were printed on paper instead of cardboard and looked like washed out reproductions, these were typically wrapped in thin cellophane. The matrix numbers on these tended to be identical to official releases, suggesting that a new counterfeit master was made from an existing record.

That’s wild. Mine is definitely paper wrapped in cellophane and the internal divider that keeps the records separate appears to be a local Taiwanese newspaper

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Took advantage of the dollar being strong relative to the Euro to pick up a Therapie Taxi album that hadn't previously been at a price where I would pull the trigger:

The seller shipped DHL and man, that's a sweet way to get a record across the Atlantic.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

funk_mata posted:

It was sent straight to your local thrift store. That is where you will find them.
Oh. In that case, I probably picked it up at some point.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Slight overreaction on the Fresh Fruit disc. The distortions in Jello's voice happen on the same places as it does on the digital, just slightly emphasized.

loving lol

If I created a whole body of work that was rightfully considered all time classic poo poo and had it stolen out from under me by greedy liars I'd probably be really salty about it too. Jello Biafra has been fairly consistently making new music since Dead Kennedys split up. The other three still occasionally tour as a glorified karaoke group that's never produced anything new in 35 years and continue to cash in on songs Jello Biafra wrote. As for the actual reissue in question, the original recording just isn't very good. You can only polish it so much.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Don’t forget to order your Tay Tay vinyls people.

https://store.taylorswift.com/?utm_...Lsvgg%3D.R4Bhid

Your choice of Blood Moon, Jade Green, or Mahogany.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretzellogic posted:

Oh. In that case, I probably picked it up at some point.

Dall-E Mini is getting really accurate

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
still not sure whether this has been sent or if he is saying he wants to issue a refund :confused:

I guess I'll start a PayPal dispute if I haven't received it in a couple weeks time??

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Don’t forget to order your Tay Tay vinyls people.

https://store.taylorswift.com/?utm_...Lsvgg%3D.R4Bhid

Your choice of Blood Moon, Jade Green, or Mahogany.

Her last two major albums I've just waited till they were $10 on Amazon or eBay, and now they're both $50 on discogs. Seems like they overproduce them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Been here almost three months but I just found out I moved practically next door to a record store (Long in the Tooth, Philly). My wallet is turbofucked.

:getin:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

All future Taylor Swift releases should be 45 RPM for comedy purposes.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Local place finally got a copy of Aphex Twin's "Ambient Works", so I swooped. :dance: My partner assumed it was some kinda Half Life 2 thing, haha.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I need SAWII so bad. :argh:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I have a Herb Alpert record, but it's not that one.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Left this one alone

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That’s easily a $10,000 record right there. What a treasure.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Dead Goon posted:

I have a Herb Alpert record, but it's not that one.

I got the lonely bull from the free bin when I didn’t know any better

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Do the cats actually play the harmonicas?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Spun some records at the radio station again.

Less miscues this time at least.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Thanks. Listening to this while messing around with AI art generation haha. Nothing as terrible as FN Mecca but pretty scary in it's own right.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

CPL593H posted:

All future Taylor Swift releases should be 45 RPM for comedy purposes.

A great moment in vinyl history.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BigFactory posted:

Left this one alone

What? Why would you not get that for the cover art alone :3:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’ve spent 20 years never saying no to dumb records like that and now there’s no place in my house where I can’t smell disintegrating lp jackets

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a pretty strict "no buying records for the cover alone" rule. So unless it is a record of actual cats playing harmonica (it isn't) then I would pass...but that would be a tough one.

BigFactory posted:

I’ve spent 20 years never saying no to dumb records like that and now there’s no place in my house where I can’t smell disintegrating lp jackets

Pretty much this.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 4, 2022

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love it when it matches. :allears:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

They used Suicide in a perfume ad for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdrw--sqRV4

I guess Alan Vega had kids and they need money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

They used Suicide in a perfume ad for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdrw--sqRV4

I guess Alan Vega had kids and they need money.

The most bizarre music choice for an ad was for Britbox and the song Enola Gay by OMD. Because when I think of British comedy, my mind literally goes straight to a horrible war crime in which an atomic bomb was dropped on a Hiroshima, killing many innocent citizens.

And when I think of the A-bomb, I think of Mr. Bean.