Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

bloodstained rules. make all the drinks and cakes and poo poo to i get that mana regen and luck gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

copy posted:

bloodstained rules. make all the drinks and cakes and poo poo to i get that mana regen and luck gently caress yeah

hell yeah

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

i was looking through my switch library the other day and realized i own bloodstained on it and never launched it once

it's an impossibly bad port even with the years of work theyve done

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

iirc i backed it to get the 8bit game free and then just played the ps4 version. i completely forgot i owned it and had laughed for years at people complaining about the bad port

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

copy posted:

cooking for stat bonuses in games ftmfw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've tried on 3 separate files to play bloodstained on switch and on 3 different bosses I hit showstopper bugs. And in between those rooms constalling falling OOB or having the game crash and even normal performance was like sub 20fps. Just a masterpiece all around.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bloodstained kicks rear end and the retro spin-offs do as well

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

18. Cult of the Lamb

This is a base-builder with rogue-lite dungeon crawling, where you go through dungeons to gather resources and bring back to your base to improve it and make you stronger for the next run etc. It started off strong but I felt like it didn't really deliver on the promising beginning, which was a little disappointing, but there was enough enjoyment there that I'm not unhappy to have played it. I'd be interested to see where this goes, because the loop of dungeon crawl -> get resources -> improve base -> dungeon crawl was very addictive during the parts where the balance was working well.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
was resisting starting this halfway through the year and trying to remember everything I've finished but what the hell. Not in order

1. Inscryption
2. Aperture Desk Job
3. Fights in Tight Spaces
4. Monster Hunter: World
5. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye
6. Metroid Dread, Dread Mode <4 hour run + all boss rushes
7. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
8. Metal Gear Solid
9. (Various text adventures from game club)
10. Bassin's Black Bass with Hank Parker
11. Threads of Fate
12. God of War ('18)
13. Cadence of Hyrule + Octavo's Ode
14. Radical Dreamers
15. Super Mario 3D World
16. Bowser's Fury
17. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
18. Donkey Kong Country (original)
19. Link's Awakening remake
20. Ace Attorney Chronicles 1+2
21. Paper Mario
22. Kirby Super Star 100%

Not my biggest year ever but I had forgotten how much time I've spent with my Switch this year. Switch ftw

copy
Jul 26, 2007

In Training posted:

I've tried on 3 separate files to play bloodstained on switch and on 3 different bosses I hit showstopper bugs. And in between those rooms constalling falling OOB or having the game crash and even normal performance was like sub 20fps. Just a masterpiece all around.

bloodstained pc vs bloodstained switch: heaven or hell

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

19. Journey

I've been meaning to play this for ages and yeah, it was good.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1. Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster
2. Monster Hunter Rise (first credits)
3. Elden Ring
4. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Hard Mode (all main missions)
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo - hard, all side missions, all yokai
6. Chrono Trigger - All Sidequests
7. Death Stranding
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 4p co-op (Michelangelo)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
11. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
12. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade

Absolutely ownage game. The only other FE I've played was Three Houses, and while I enjoyed that I liked how no-frills and battle focused this game was. The sprite work is incredible and looks amazing all crisp on an modern monitor. It's badass there are like a billion other games in this series for me to play.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Castlevania Chronicles (Original Mode) -- I beat the Arranged Mode of this a couple of weeks ago. Original Mode is the Sharp X68000 version which is way harder with knockback and 4 hit deaths like in Castlevania III. This is my favorite classic Castlevania. The graphics and music kick rear end and there are some great enemies unique to the game. Each stage and boss after level 1 had me wondering how anyone is supposed to beat it but there's always a way...

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

67) 7 Billion Humans

Man gently caress some of these puzzles. A lot of the late game ones revolve around just letting your dudes wander around at random and eventually happening upon the right answers, too janky for a programming game imo.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

44) Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Pretty solid game, felt like they got all the classic FF monsters right, Tonberrys killed me a lot

I never got a handle on using katanas in this game, which is weird since it's got a lot of Nioh DNA.

The final boss was a good challenge. Took me about 15 attempts to learn his moves and not overcommit to charging axe strikes for major damage.

Vadun fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 31, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Threads of Fate

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

total war warhammer 3 [settra, immortal empires, complete campaign victory, vampire ascension endgame, bugged normal difficulty {normal=very hard atm}, 235 turns]

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Frenz posted:

Castlevania Dracula X - Rondo of Blood: Pretty much perfect. Maybe being able to move after jumping makes it a little too easy but I'm not complaining

went back and 100% this

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

15. Earth Defense Force 6 (jp version)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

lets hang out posted:

15. Earth Defense Force 6 (jp version)

Nice, how was it compared to 5?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vadun posted:

Nice, how was it compared to 5?

It's great, gameplay is the best it's ever been. Nice QOL additions like progress being shared between offline and online. Ranger and wing diver get a third weapon slot just for grenades, deployables, and other tools, which lets them take the weird, novel poo poo on missions without having to sacrifice one of their 2 regular gun slots. Air raider is heavily drone based now which seems wild but I haven't played with them much. Fencer's...about the same I guess. Ton of fun new enemies on top of everything from 5 so they've got a lot of variety to work with. Wildly ambitious story for an edf game, from what I could follow. Some very cool, surprising stuff in there.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

14. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse

reiterating my IZGC thoughts here but it was alright, frustrating at several points but it had its charm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

19. The Plutonia Experiment. UV continuous play, no saved like 95% of it except for MAP32 because i couldnt do it all in one go, two maps where i fell off a ledge into a inescapable pit that i rewound to correct, and on MAP30 bc i still have icon of sin and just quick saved whenever i got a rocket in.

absolutely phenomenal game, the best commercial doom release, and just the distillation of what i love about classic doom...inventive encounters, dense & constantly unfurling level design, a great sense of exploration (i think there was only a single level i got lost looking for keys or figuring out what the switch i just pulled did) and basically every level was fun. i only disliked two in the entire bunch: MAP29, even they couldnt make city levels a fun idea to me, and MAP30, ditto for icon of sin maps...

if you like doom you should pla=y this. i imagine in a year or two i might return to try out a UVMax pistol start playthrough. 5/5. sad to be done with the official releases from this era, although i guess theres always the Master Levels trash to plumb through...

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Aston posted:

18. Cult of the Lamb

This is a base-builder with rogue-lite dungeon crawling, where you go through dungeons to gather resources and bring back to your base to improve it and make you stronger for the next run etc. It started off strong but I felt like it didn't really deliver on the promising beginning, which was a little disappointing, but there was enough enjoyment there that I'm not unhappy to have played it. I'd be interested to see where this goes, because the loop of dungeon crawl -> get resources -> improve base -> dungeon crawl was very addictive during the parts where the balance was working well.

The screenshots make me want to play amazing cultuvation simulator or ring world for an hour or two instead and then give up becuase I forgot how to play them. Thank you gaben

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

19. The Plutonia Experiment. UV continuous play, no saved like 95% of it except for MAP32 because i couldnt do it all in one go, two maps where i fell off a ledge into a inescapable pit that i rewound to correct, and on MAP30 bc i still have icon of sin and just quick saved whenever i got a rocket in.

absolutely phenomenal game, the best commercial doom release, and just the distillation of what i love about classic doom...inventive encounters, dense & constantly unfurling level design, a great sense of exploration (i think there was only a single level i got lost looking for keys or figuring out what the switch i just pulled did) and basically every level was fun. i only disliked two in the entire bunch: MAP29, even they couldnt make city levels a fun idea to me, and MAP30, ditto for icon of sin maps...

if you like doom you should pla=y this. i imagine in a year or two i might return to try out a UVMax pistol start playthrough. 5/5. sad to be done with the official releases from this era, although i guess theres always the Master Levels trash to plumb through...

The only good thing about the master levels is the community midi pack that cane out a few years years ago

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
cruelty squad - really fun and doesn't overstay its welcome. the music can become grating after a certain point but i did lol like a dumb baby start to finish.

Feb 2, 2005
Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected
Piloting Kino

More RPGs need to be this length and scope. 13 hours for a 100% run through.

This evolved from the systems of Xenoblade just enough that I could appreciate the combat system again. A combat system that was thoroughly "solved" halfway through the original game. The addition of the aggro-ring (this was new right? I'm not just forgetting?) and the removal of the crafting system in favor of mining gems straight from the ground were two welcome additions.

Ponspector attacks replacing chain attacks was a streamlining change as well. In the original game, there was basically one right answer for chain attacks depending on whether it was a boss fight or not: for bosses, do the sequence that leaves the enemy dazed; for mooks, chain red attacks to instakill them. This has both of those options with a single button press and adds a third, healing and debuff neutralizer. Welcome addition. I do wish the Ponspectors had more than a single line for their attacks, however, as cute as it was.

I didn't expect the story's handling of Melia and Tyrea. What makes a family? Is it blood or can you choose? And if you choose wrong do you get a chance to choose again? More than I was expecting from an anime power fantasy RPG.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Mega Man (NES)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
xenoblade chronicles 2 torna dlc

real good DLC that pretty much addresses most of the issues in the main game

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
23. Castle of Illusion

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

20. Citizen Sleeper

I've heard this compared with Disco Elysium in a couple places but I would say that's quite superficial, it's definitely its own thing. It's somewhere between a point and click adventure and RPG, I liked the story (and apparently there's a bunch of different endings which is cool), it's not too long, and it's free on GamePass. Nice little game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

QuackShot Starring Donald Duck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Kuchitsu (2013, 6 levels for Doom II, UVmax pistol start). 4/5. Cute bitesized levels themed around dockyards and hedges etc. Nothin longer than like 10 minutes, and every level has one pretty good "oh poo poo" kinda moment alongside a great trickle of incidental firefights. Good poo poo. It's got a fun city block level too with a Bank run by imps

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Valhalla (1 map for ZDoom, 2010). 3.5/5. Really well designed map with Quake-techbase vibes, absolutely insane person level of detailing and environmental flourishes. the combat was kinda meh most big fights felt like a pretty random assortment of enemies. I did like a new enemy they added, Revenants with the Spectre effect. spooky.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I don't think this should have had limited continues. Too much of the gameplay is trial and error learning boss patterns or how to avoid hazards, so it shouldn't punish experimentation with the prospect of having to play the entire game over again. But maybe it wouldn't have been as big of a deal without RetroArch lag

Quackshot
More relaxed experience, in part because they got rid of limited continues. Although that does sometimes incentivize you to get a game over so you can start a stage with more lives

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

15. Quackshot

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

18. castle of illusion starring mickey mouse (via sega ages i love mickey mouse for saturn)

fine game but i'm more interested in playing quackshot, gonna start that up tonight too i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

36) Castle of Illusion