Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Critics warn Ottawa's new 'luxury tax' on pricey cars, planes and boats could backfire

I wonder who these critics and experts are lol

quote:

Don Drummond, a former federal assistant deputy minister of fiscal policy and a former chief economist for TD Bank

quote:

Pat Sturgeon, who sells sailboats costing up to $700,000

quote:

Mark Delaney is director of sales and marketing at a Vernon, B.C., company that manufactures boats worth up to $500,000

Great sourcing CBC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
we asked three rich people what they think about the tax on rich people and you'll never guess what they said!

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

apatheticman posted:

What system and how?

I mean uhh the political system itself for one. that is so ineffectual and so twisting itself into a pretzel to paper over its contradictions that the process and outcome itself is directly churning out and empowering fascists and other ideologues that lead to... chauvinists emboldened enough to openly and directly threaten politicians

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Ineffectual for plebs sorry. :airquote: the system :airquote: as it is works great for the interests of power obviously

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

tankie pamps

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
why the hell does the luxury tax for boats start at 250k but cars at 100? like, motherfucker, and boat worth over 100k is the definition of excess, tax the clowns that buy those into oblivion.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frank Dillinger posted:

why the hell does the luxury tax for boats start at 250k but cars at 100? like, motherfucker, and boat is the definition of excess, tax the clowns that buy those into oblivion.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how about a luxury tax on second homes and homes over a 500,000 dollars?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

How about banning ownership of second homes until everyone who resides in Canada is housed?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
man, i don't even own a first home

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
This is the tax structure brought to you by the same people that thought it was a good idea to introduce sick benefits that have a full week without any compensation before kicking in and only pay 55% of your wage. Who the gently caress can survive on 55% who isn't already working a job with sick leave?

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

let's stop electing women so they won't be disproportionately targeted by extremists bing bong

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Who the gently caress can survive on 55% who isn't already working a job with sick leave?

The landed gentry in this country :rolleyes:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If you really think about it Justin Trudeau is the real perpetrator for putting all these women in the crosshairs of extremist violence.

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit
why do we subsidize the purchase of luxury electric vehicles

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I tell my friends back in the States that Alberta is basically maple Texas, and welp

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/albertas-lt-gov-says-shes-willing-to-toss-smiths-sovereignty-act-if-unconstitutional

Article posted:

"Smith has promised, if elected premier, to pass an Alberta sovereignty act that would allow Alberta to opt out of federal legislation, regulatory decisions and court rulings that legislators believe go against Alberta’s interests."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if i were premier i would simply secede from confederation

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Ok Danielle

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

if I had a million voters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i wouldn't have to eat kraft dinner

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

megahtz posted:

why do we subsidize the purchase of luxury electric vehicles

Because Laurentian elites buy them

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

i wouldn't have to eat kraft dinner

I'd build a suburb in the green belt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but not a real suburb, that's cruel

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
You can tell that it's a tax break for them specifically when it's not means tested.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

but not a real suburb, that's cruel

if real canadians mattered in cspam this would be the thread title

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
tankie pamps in for a major diaper change operation

mr_big
Aug 8, 2022

Mr. Big is pleased
Can anyone explain why the Beer Store is such dogshit? How has the coward Rob Ford not let the FREE MARKET take over beer sales for easy political points?

Like why does this one chain of stores have a monopoly on larger cases of beer AND alcoholic bottle returns in Ontario.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mr_big posted:

Can anyone explain why the Beer Store is such dogshit? How has the coward Rob Ford not let the FREE MARKET take over beer sales for easy political points?

Like why does this one chain of stores have a monopoly on larger cases of beer AND alcoholic bottle returns in Ontario.

Wait till you hear about how hash slinging Doug hosed up the OCS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mr_big posted:

because the platonic ideal of a laissez-faire free market is a myth and big players using their economic power to establish a state-enforced monopoly that guarantees them easy returns regardless of how dogshit their services are is the "free" market working as intended

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 14:37 on Oct 29, 2022

mr_big
Aug 8, 2022

Mr. Big is pleased

flashy_mcflash posted:

Honestly my experiences with services in this province have been so awful so I haven't even tried the OCS.

It doesn't help that it feels like I'm buying rat poison every time the person at a weed store handed me a giant plastic container covered with warning symbols for a single gram.

Also what's a hotel vendor? I'm imagining a 1920s speakeasy hidden in a Holiday Inn somewhere where people drown their sorrows just to survive another day in Rob Ford's Ontario.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"the beer store" in ontario is a company run by a consortium of breweries, it's entirely privately owned

it's also the only place other than the lcbo that you could buy beer, until fairly recently. you can now buy beer and liquor from any licensed bar or restaurant*, within certain hours, but they all buy from lcbo or the beer store

the beer store is the only place that accepts alcohol bottles or cans for recycling and returns the container deposit.

*you can also buy beer from some grocery stores, but the selection is incredibly limited, and there are private wine stores that sell ontario "vqa" wines and wine based products

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I just buy online and it usually comes from BC and they don't charge tax. OCS and physical stores are waaaay too expensive

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the prime market for the OCS is people driving from Quebec because they won't sell vape carts there

mr_big
Aug 8, 2022

Mr. Big is pleased

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I just buy online and it usually comes from BC and they don't charge tax. OCS and physical stores are waaaay too expensive

I agree completely, online is less expensive, has no tax, and the product is significantly better.

I just wish the gov would actually try to compete with the grey/black market rather than just using state-sanctioned force to try put them out of business.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's generally not how government enforced monopolies work

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
bump