Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And I was just in the mood to continue playing Kuro today, I was in the final chapter :(

Just stuck forever trying to find the text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terper posted:

And I was just in the mood to continue playing Kuro today, I was in the final chapter :(

Just stuck forever trying to find the text

theres a hardcoded patch (not made by zerofield)

https://mega.nz/folder/AYthzT6C#CzegMJ8nUEDi3HhsqYd2Aw

if this is ~files~ a mod can blam me but it should work

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm using the Overlay program while playing on PS4, not the PC version, sadly. That program points to the spreadsheet on their site and loads that text, and since that's been restricted, it can't access it. If someone had it and uploaded it elsewhere I could potentially make it point to that spreadsheet instead, but

I could get the steam version and play all the way back up, but ugh. Maybe someday. Thanks anyway I'll save the link!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's not like Ys 8 alone, or the robotic-like script of CS3 and CS4 didn't make me miss XSEED. But it certainly bears repeating: I really miss XSEED being the one localizing Falcom's games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I miss the people XSEED fired and scrubbed from their credits.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Motto posted:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Motto posted:

Uh, what's this about?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1137132042863251457

Unfortunately that's a very standard video game company policy. It does suck a lot though and really should not be tolerated.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It came out a little while ago that XSEED only credits the people who currently work at the company regardless of any prior work they might have done on a title. So if someone left the company between, say, the original release of Cold Steel 1 and the PS5 port, they would no longer be credited on the latter even though it's still their translations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Additionally Hatsuu specifically had gotten appointed series localization editor then was let go when they stopped getting falcom games.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

If a company gets upset that fans are performing unpaid work so they can play their game then maybe that company should decide whether to get their act together so this issue doesn't arise in the first place or if they should switch industries.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah. xseed was a bad company that had good people working at it.

i also think the cs3/4 scripts were fine. they werent as good as 1 or 2 but they still had plenty of good lines. a lot of the people from the cs1/2 translations came over, they just had less time.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I think part of the reason this is happening is that Falcom released steam versions of their recent games so now it's even easier to buy the game and insert text and just play and NISA gets nothing so they got scared is my guess.

And Zero is coming out soon so bad PR all around.

My opinion is still if they wanted to release the Crossbell games just make it a collection with both games, it would make some people go "ok Crossbell is done so just the new stuff next we can wait" but no, Zero is not out yet we still have Azure and then we wait for Reverie, kinda sucks imo
I dunno how the whole process works but both Crossbell games are translated they just need to be edited and inserted on the game itself and I would assume the translating part takes the most time out of the whole process and that was already done so I dunno why they decided to spread then like this except if the goal is just money because one collection full price is less than 2 games full price.

Another major reason this is happening is the way this is going Kuro will only be released in 2024/25 and Kuro 2 by 2026/2027 and unless Falcom takes a break from Trails for a while we will always be behind by alot and some fans decided to help.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It's hard to believe any serious sales were affected by some fans releasing some translated text in which they asked no money for, i've played through the Japanese versions of CSIV, Hajimari, and Kuro and still plan on buying their official releases along the with the two Crossbell games.

I think it's likely more of an issue about people using the text and being able to essentially drag-copy-replace files on the PC version to mostly make a seamless English text game. Not perfect by any means but works quite well.

Luckily I got copies of the Hajimari and Kuro translations on a hard drive.

The big bummer to me is that the same team likely isn't going to attempt a Kuro 2 translation although it's a given that some group on the internet will eventually.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NISA sucks.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, what's this about?

tldr; XSeed's policy was including everyone in the company in their game credits. Hatsuu left between the initial releases of Cold Steel 1/2 and the PS4 version so when they released the PS4 version they continued to follow their policy without realizing this was a mistake. They have since fixed this and updated their company policy in regards to credits.

Alard fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 2, 2022

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

infraboy posted:

It's hard to believe any serious sales were affected by some fans releasing some translated text in which they asked no money for, i've played through the Japanese versions of CSIV, Hajimari, and Kuro and still plan on buying their official releases along the with the two Crossbell games.

I think it's likely more of an issue about people using the text and being able to essentially drag-copy-replace files on the PC version to mostly make a seamless English text game. Not perfect by any means but works quite well.

The big bummer to me is that the same team likely isn't going to attempt a Kuro 2 translation although it's a given that some group on the internet will eventually.

can you post a link to the hajimari one like that other guy did for kuro? Thanks.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was thinking on it, if this is an issue with any mods it can be edited out.

Kuro https://mega.nz/folder/AYthzT6C#CzegMJ8nUEDi3HhsqYd2Aw

Hajimari https://mega.nz/folder/FVQglRyZ#Ko2ORdPVz6MEXx_hx3aKFQ

Mostly drag and replace affairs with the Clouded Leopard versions on steam, use the readme files.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Huh, I'll need to check that I have the actual files for my Hajimari/Kuro. I think I do, because the patching process involved replacing directories in the game folder (so I don't think it's grabbing the translations from the internet).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Saoshyant posted:

Emma's important bonding event in CS4 was the first time in the series I actually felt those two were in any way compatible. Rean would have done the exact same thing if their positions were reversed. The two are cut from the same cloth in that respect.

Of course Rean would have done the same thing, and he has attempted that sort of thing before. But that doesn't mean he wants other people doing that for HIM. Is that hypocritical? Absolutely, but that's a clearly established part of Rean's personality.

secretly best girl posted:

Chewed through some more Sky 3rd this weekend, made my way to chapter 6. I'm convinced every one of these minigame doors is dogshit, especially since the two I just cleared are RNG-based (fishing tourney, gambler jack). Was legitimately surprised by the final party member, kind of wish they hadn't given away the game with Pater-Mater standing over her drat stone. I was legitimately out of candidates even when Richard showed up, so that would have been a hell of a lot more effective without the giant banner. The story doors are beginning to get a little swingy for me. Tita's family are psychopaths on one end, and I was just jamming through buttons to end that, but on the other, I legitimately think the Muller/Olivert door was some of the best stuff I've seen this game pull out, especially since chronologically that would have been the first on-screen appearance of Chancellor Osborne, no? Also this is recontextualizing a lot of cast I've seen for like... two minutes in Cold Steel. Lechter being a sociopath is less surprising given his name, but boy, what an abject piece of poo poo.

Kind of feeling like I'm going to be incredibly shagged out by the amount of doors still remaining unfound when the game is telling me "hey the main villain is on floor 7" as I enter #6.

Tita's father seems fine. It's just her psychotic mother is a caricature instead of a character, and not a funny one at that.

I find Lechter to be annoying at best, and any attempts at giving him a sympathetic backstory are undercut by him immediately turning around and being an abject piece of poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Of course Rean would have done the same thing, and he has attempted that sort of thing before. But that doesn't mean he wants other people doing that for HIM. Is that hypocritical? Absolutely, but that's a clearly established part of Rean's personality.

I mean yeah. That's what's interesting about that event and makes the relationship seem compelling.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Regardless of how you feel, please don't forget that games are sector of business and if the games don't make a profit, they will stop licensing them, and a license always trumps a fan translation.

Atleast save the boycotts for something that isnt so far grey it's almost black legally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

lol

Nobody's mentioned a boycott. What are you talking about

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

holy poo poo, you're telling me that businesses do business things? wow that changes my perspective completely, and makes everything they do right and good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

If someone had it and uploaded it elsewhere I could potentially
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kYcu0nI7JMHnqcbPguf7njl-aF9F_4lm/view

Here's an earlier version that I found. So I can play, hooray.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

infraboy posted:

It doesn't really matter whether any "serious sales" (what would even be the dividing line?) were affected or not. NISA (presumably) paid for exclusive localization rights in the English-speaking market, Clouded Leopard (who only paid for an Asia-territory license) essentially gets revenue from the English market, so NISA is definitely in their legal right to ask Zerofield to stop. If during Sky SC's seemingly endless development cycle, someone would have jumped up and said "well, you've waited long enough, here's a fan translation for SC", XSeed would have taken that down too.

And the same team now not doing Kuro 2 may have been the point behind the timing. That or NISA is actively negotiating for Kuro's license with Falcom and is doing this on Falcom's behalf since nobody at Falcom speaks legalese English.

Anyway, this is kind of why fans are usually better off focussing on older games whose commercial viability is extremely limited due to their platform being dead or the game's stuck in some legal limbo (Crossbell definitely fit that category), rather than current-gen releases of active franchises whose localization rights are actively marketted to interested parties.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 2, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What do you mean people should focus on the older games? Like if people want to play these newer games then they should go ahead imo.

I mean i'm pretty sure most people playing Reverie and Kuro brought the game officially through legal channels. Buying and playing these newer games is supporting the franchise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yes but nisa doesnt get the money. thats what this is about really, theyre mad that people arent buying THEIR versions. (their versions that wont be out for another 5 years)

even though most everyone whos using these would gladly double dip. the time gap between releases is so massive that people would be down to actually replay the games, even.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No I get why NISA wants it down but super weird that anyone else would be like "This is why fans should only play officially localised games". That's just strange to me. It's not like you're doing something illegal.

Nothing wrong with buying games if you want to play them imo.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm pretty sure simply translating some text from a game and putting into a spreadsheet isn't really illegal especially if no money is being asked for it. NISA was likely annoyed that people were able to insert and replace the text directly into the game for both Reverie and Kuro PC versions, which again is sort of meh since you can legally buy them both right off of steam and you should be free to modify games that you own.

Looks like they've taken down the spreadsheets for good but at least the translation files are out there. Still a bummer the same team probably wont do the translations for Kuro 2 but i'm sure some people will on the down low.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I wasn't going to boycott until that poster earlier brought it up

now I will boycott by simply forgetting about the games when they come out 500 years from now

thanks for the idea, poster

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maybe I missed something but if someone buys the (eventual) english release version of the game off of Steam and plays with the fan patch translation isn't NISA still getting their cut anyway? There's no piracy involved, they just skipped the queue?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

No Dignity posted:

Maybe I missed something but if someone buys the (eventual) english release version of the game off of Steam and plays with the fan patch translation isn't NISA still getting their cut anyway? There's no piracy involved, they just skipped the queue?

Yeah, NISA seems to be operating on the logic of "everyone playing this now, via an officially-bought copy or piracy, is a lost sale for US", and this is their guns-blazing response to that thought.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

No I get why NISA wants it down but super weird that anyone else would be like "This is why fans should only play officially localised games". That's just strange to me. It's not like you're doing something illegal.

Nothing wrong with buying games if you want to play them imo.

What I said wasn't "people should only play officially localized games". (I've played both Geofront versions of the Crossbell games and I completely supported their efforts) What I said was "people doing fan projects should concentrate on older stuff that's falling by the wayside, not spend their time and talent sniping current-gen releases that are actively being licensed to official publishers". If someone puts around a year of work into a project, it'd be nice if that work would last for several years to come, but the Zerofield guys knew in advance that the result of their work would be around for a year, maybe two, before an official localization would be announced and they'd be expected to take it down. (and that's disregarding the very real possibility they'd be asked to stop sooner)

To use a figure of speech; if you're gonna squat in a building you don't own, pick an abandoned one, not one you know is actively being brokered to interested buyers. And if you still insist on doing the latter and making yourself at home there, don't be surprised if the legal owner turns up at some point and politely asks you to vacate the premises even if he's not intending to immediately move in yet.

infraboy posted:

I'm pretty sure simply translating some text from a game and putting into a spreadsheet isn't really illegal especially if no money is being asked for it.

Umm, yes it is. A fan translation is a "derivative work" that's directly based on a script that's Falcom's intellectual property. There's a big difference between "not legal" and "will this cause the IP holder to take action" and companies generally pick their battles, but whether money is entering the equation (in this case it indirectly is) doesn't factor into the legality, only into the cost-benefit analysis the IP holder tends to make while considering on whether to intervene or not.

No Dignity posted:

If you buy the (eventual) English release, NISA makes profit off of that. If you buy the current Asia-only version right now, that money goes to Clouded Leopard, who did not pay for a share of the English market. The issue here isn't really piracy anyway. It's the idea of fan translations blurring the lines between localization license holders.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 2, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itll be more like 5 years before kuro 2 comes out tbh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Erpy posted:

If you buy the (eventual) English release, NISA makes profit off of that. If you buy the current Asia-only version right now, that money goes to Clouded Leopard, who did not pay for a share of the English market. The issue here isn't really piracy anyway. It's the idea of fan translations blurring the lines between localization license holders.

Ah right, I'm getting the new Trails games mixed up with the Ys style spinoff Endorph posted earlier. So many untranslated games lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it’ll be 4.

Anyway I think it’s very cool that these guys did some fan TLs for newer games in a series that is only getting more delayed for Western releases. Hell, even what NISA is doing now isn’t going to make it impossible to play these TLs, just more difficult. So the work they did is still going to help a lot of people play these games. And that’s only a good thing imo.

So people going “hmph these folks shouldn’t be surprised by the consequences of their actions”. Like, why be such an rear end about it. They got their work out there, it’s not like their TL was wasted or whatever. It’s def not the same scenario of say, a fangame getting a cease and desist.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
NISA does have other games they work on besides Falcom stuff and they are a relatively small company but they also seeming stuck in the Kiseki curse of the games taking quite a long time to localize. Here we are waiting 10-12 years for the Crossbell stuff to officially be released which started on the freaking psp. Not knocking the graphics because I love pixel games and they're sort of a cool retro thing as of late.

I suspect Kuro 1 will take them quite a while if they officially announce anything, it took that fan translation quite a while to finish it. After playing through it once there is quite a large branching of possible dialogue paths late into the game that probably took them quite some time to sort out.

I'll just have to do things the hard way when Kuro 2 is out with good old google lens.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think it’ll be 4.

Anyway I think it’s very cool that these guys did some fan TLs for newer games in a series that is only getting more delayed for Western releases. Hell, even what NISA is doing now isn’t going to make it impossible to play these TLs, just more difficult. So the work they did is still going to help a lot of people play these games. And that’s only a good thing imo.

So people going “hmph these folks shouldn’t be surprised by the consequences of their actions”. Like, why be such an rear end about it. They got their work out there, it’s not like their TL was wasted or whatever. It’s def not the same scenario of say, a fangame getting a cease and desist.

It's not my intention to be an rear end about it, I simply feel that the Zerofield team was wasting their talent by focussing their time on the newest games that were guaranteed to receive a commercial release announcement in the (relatively) short term. And I say that as a former fan-game developer who spent nearly 8 years working on fan-remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they worked on hajimari and kuro because they loved them and wanted to