Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Why do people do kratom? From listening to podcasters who do kratom, the only thing I know about it is that it's a drug and that it tastes like poo poo. Is there some uniquely wonderful high you can only get from Kratom, The Drug That Tastes Like poo poo?

Kratom is an opioid that is legal (in some/most states; it's actually illegal in TN where I live now) and cheap. So the appeal is kind of straight-forward. It's also safer than other opioids because there's a cap on its effects (anything beyond a certain dose just makes you feel kind of nauseous and bad, so you can't overdose on it). It's still absolutely addictive, though. I think it should be legal, because it's immensely useful for trying to get off stronger opiates, but I would never recommend that someone inexperienced in opiates use it.

Reactions to kratom are mixed largely because, from my understanding, most kratom sold in headshops (or in brick&mortar shops period) is garbage that might not even actually be kratom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Ytlaya posted:

Kratom is an opioid that is legal (in some/most states; it's actually illegal in TN where I live now) and cheap. So the appeal is kind of straight-forward. It's also safer than other opioids because there's a cap on its effects (anything beyond a certain dose just makes you feel kind of nauseous and bad, so you can't overdose on it). It's still absolutely addictive, though. I think it should be legal, because it's immensely useful for trying to get off stronger opiates, but I would never recommend that someone inexperienced in opiates use it.

Reactions to kratom are mixed largely because, from my understanding, most kratom sold in headshops (or in brick&mortar shops period) is garbage that might not even actually be kratom.

Excuse me are you talking about Super Speciosa?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ytlaya posted:

if you're wearing underwear take em off

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It’s also an especially effective OTC painkiller. I’m not really a big drug guy anymore but when I had a tooth blow up in the middle of a weekend semi-recently even the lovely gas station kratom took the pain from “unbearable, excruciating” to “mildly unpleasant” until I could get proper treatment on the following Monday.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Danger posted:

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Danger posted:

also lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hell yea john dolan back on chapo

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Decided to check up on 538 out of sheer morbid curiosity and Nate is openly snapping at and shutting down his female cohosts for not making GBS threads on student debt relief, reminding them that he is a University of Chicago trained economist

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Decided to check up on 538 out of sheer morbid curiosity and Nate is openly snapping at and shutting down his female cohosts for not making GBS threads on student debt relief, reminding them that he is a University of Chicago trained economist

his female cohosts???? ??!!!!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Danger posted:

What's that? I haven't used kratom in like 8+ years. Google says it's some vendor, but not one I remember.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Didn't know he was a literal Chicago Boy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i tried listening to the 538 podcast but even with my cursory grasp of statistics i could tell it was just uninformed bs, i’m not sure that they actually understand how to interpret basic surveys tbh

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Listened to it pretty regularly for a number of years and noticed the quality of discussion get worse and worse. Clare Malone was the only one willing to get to root causes of issues and would regularly get interrupted or ignored, and then was turfed. The more I learned about politics the more important issues I noticed their conversations doggedly avoiding.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

What's that? I haven't used kratom in like 8+ years. Google says it's some vendor, but not one I remember.

what are you doing in this thread

as for the rest of you, feel free to bet on what Ytlaya is doing in this thread at mybookie.ag

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

nate only did undergrad so it's not like he's an academic - lol his only real job experience was being an entry level accountant at KPMG

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AgentF posted:

Listened to it pretty regularly for a number of years and noticed the quality of discussion get worse and worse. Clare Malone was the only one willing to get to root causes of issues and would regularly get interrupted or ignored, and then was turfed. The more I learned about politics the more important issues I noticed their conversations doggedly avoiding.

This is the worst part about lib media in general. "Look how bad this is." Is there a root cause? We'll never know but isn't it terrible?

And the worse whatever it is they're talking about the more obvious both the root cause is, the more awkwardly the presenter avoids actually discussing it, and the less attention paid to any possible solution.

NPR was built on this formula.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I can't believe I fell for the "new ALAB coming tomorrow!" prank

vanishedimam
Nov 15, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

I can't believe I fell for the "new ALAB coming tomorrow!" prank
i didn't tell andy to do that! anyway within the first 5 seconds of the episode you'll understand when i say i am sitting here waiting for an approval to post

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

vanishedimam posted:

i didn't tell andy to do that! anyway within the first 5 seconds of the episode you'll understand when i say i am sitting here waiting for an approval to post

I have a four hour drive this afternoon so if you could get this out prior to like 3 central time that'd be great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thank you all for the information on kratom. I think I definitely have no reason to ever eat that stuff.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Why wouldn't you want to be this

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

vanishedimam posted:

I will allow it

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Futanari Damacy posted:

Why wouldn't you want to be this

...is that gelatin??? what the gently caress

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

so it's hashishe

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
New alab out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

big pimpin'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is loving incredible

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm staring at a goddamn wall trying to keep up, i genuinely love that y'all are not bothering to explain things to the audience

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’m about to go run and listen to some lawyers talk about law

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm not. gently caress the French

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

turn up

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
court ordered podcast appearance is loving me up, as a concept

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Newest alab kind of boring since I remember nothing of e8. That said, I look forward to the 5-4 rivalry

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
What's the best intro ep to ALAB or should I just listen to this

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I think listen to episode 8 first

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Futanari Damacy posted:

Episode 13

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Futanari Damacy posted:

Not this one its a sequel episode with a man who sued them, listen to 13 its about big dick gender morph wolves

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

4 and 5 are also all timers, and the two parter that it ended on before hiatus is just idk it’s a hard listen but fascinating

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nah this newest ep is 10/10 since there's so much back and forth and i can't decide is coach is more intelligent or a bigger rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

:siren:NEW ALAB THIS IS NOT A DRILL I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILL:siren: