Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a history of the board state the first time Deep Blue beat a Grandmaster Chess Player, and is it something that chess people would recognize on sight?

Highly reccomend watching Alpha Go on YouTube if you’re interested in the battle between humans and computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If a a truck driver in a 16-wheeler is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and they have to change lanes for an exit, what do they do? Cus as far as I can tell you're never gonna get a big enough gap there, and good luck getting strangers on the road to cooperate

I've never driven a truck but I did work at a loading dock and apparently the solution was "Just do whatever you want as slow as you can. The cars will move."

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Yeah, I call it the "gently caress you I'm a bus/truck" rule, turns out if a giant vehicle starts merging in front of people they usually stop.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Trapick posted:

Yeah, I call it the "gently caress you I'm a bus/truck" rule, turns out if a giant vehicle starts merging in front of people they usually stop.

This works for normal passenger cars as well

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Think about changing lanes in a regular car with crawling bumper to bumper traffic. People don't leave enough room to stick an entire car in. You just gotta take a little space and the guy behind you will not advance because if he does he will hit your car.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If a a truck driver in a 16-wheeler is stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and they have to change lanes for an exit, what do they do? Cus as far as I can tell you're never gonna get a big enough gap there, and good luck getting strangers on the road to cooperate

Aside from the previously mentioned method of "just make room", other truck drivers, reasonable drivers, and motorcyclists will typically let big trucks over. I've both been a Harley rider and driven big trucks across the country and there is a weird understanding between the real little guys and the real big guys. It feels like being one of those little cleaner fishes that hang out with sharks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ironhead posted:

Aside from the previously mentioned method of "just make room", other truck drivers, reasonable drivers, and motorcyclists will typically let big trucks over. I've both been a Harley rider and driven big trucks across the country and there is a weird understanding between the real little guys and the real big guys. It feels like being one of those little cleaner fishes that hang out with sharks.

Or, you know, the guy on the motorbike is dead if the truck doesn't see him or care.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Or, you know, the guy on the motorbike is dead if the truck doesn't see him or care.

What a shock it would be if the stupidly loud modified exhausts that rattle my dishes and terrify my cats didn’t save them

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Weed edibles question: who regulates the THC concentration on manufactured edibles? Obviously not the FDA. Who could confirm that the stated amount was accurate?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

More about driving around trucks in general than the original question, but one of the things people don't realize about trucks is just how many gears they have and what a colossal pain it is to change speeds. The truck driver usually just wants to maintain a consistent speed, work with them (eg don't change lanes in front of their nose) and they're not going to get in your way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CzarChasm posted:

Weed edibles question: who regulates the THC concentration on manufactured edibles? Obviously not the FDA. Who could confirm that the stated amount was accurate?

Each state is going to have their own rules and their own standards. Some states are much more stringent than others.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can some/any creatures that reproduce via parthenogenesis also reproduce sexually, with a partner?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there any truth to 'dream analysis', or is it hokum? Seems to me to lean heavily on subconscious universal archetypical concepts, which feels a little bit too close to the theories of a certain popular right-wing psychologist for my liking. But IDK much about psychology, maybe it is more commonly accepted that certain themes can exist in our subconscious?

All I know is I feel weird googling "what does ____ in a dream mean," it's maybe me at my most superstitious and I should just drop that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mister Facetious posted:

Can some/any creatures that reproduce via parthenogenesis also reproduce sexually, with a partner?

Barnacles are capable of reproducing both sexually and non-sexually, as they are hermaphroditic and can fertilize themselves if there aren't any mates nearby.
It's not parthenogenesis though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mister Facetious posted:

I think nearly all of them.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 3, 2022

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there any truth to 'dream analysis', or is it hokum? Seems to me to lean heavily on subconscious universal archetypical concepts, which feels a little bit too close to the theories of a certain popular right-wing psychologist for my liking. But IDK much about psychology, maybe it is more commonly accepted that certain themes can exist in our subconscious?

All I know is I feel weird googling "what does ____ in a dream mean," it's maybe me at my most superstitious and I should just drop that.

I think there’s a difference between “You dreamed you were eaten by a shark, that means you feel like someone in authority over you is abusing you.” And, “You dreamed you were eaten by a shark? What do you associate sharks with, what was the affect when you were being eaten?” The latter seems valuable.

Edit: Valuable in a therapeutic setting, I mean.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Anything very literal or prescriptive interpretation is indeed hokum. Guys like Freud and Jung popularized dream analysis around the turn of the century. They may have kickstarted the fields of psychiatry and psychology but almost all of their ideas have been thoroughly debunked at this point and aren’t used in a clinical setting or even taught in schools apart from some brief history in introductory 100-level classes.

E: Also Jordan name-dropping these dudes from a century ago is pretty cringe for someone who is ostensibly a medical professional and mostly done to impress impressionable young folks.

There's still some truth to dream interpretation but its kinda obvious stuff like nightmares during/after stressful periods and a competent talk therapist is going to ask what's bothering you instead of weird poo poo like explaining symbology and looking for repressed memories :v: A cognitive psychologist is going to give exercises to help focus thoughts while awake and maybe give you a sleeping pill prescription

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 3, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is it possible to ship a mattress?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

kalel posted:

Yes, but you'd have to contact UPS/whoever to check on details.

Depending on distance, it might make more sense to look into a moving company. There are a few that will do cross country moves.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

kalel posted:

EDIT: Never mind, I no read gud.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

CzarChasm posted:

Not the same thing, but I have bought cbd gummies that came with a certification from a lab about the contents.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On Firefox Developer Edition 105.03b, there are now chips in the URL suggestions drop-down:

I don't see anything in the settings to make these go away, and the ? icon leads to a 404 page. Does anyone know how to remove these?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to find this sort of hinge thing, any idea what they might be called properly? I'm failing badly at google so far.

https://i.imgur.com/K9RCW3Y.mp4

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm trying to find this sort of hinge thing, any idea what they might be called properly? I'm failing badly at google so far.

https://i.imgur.com/K9RCW3Y.mp4

You can get a start by searching for "blind corner" organizers or pull-outs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to make a plastic thing work to touch a capacitive screen? Like a tape or a little nubbin I can stick on?

Thinking of making a button pusher robot but I don’t know how to make it work with a touchscreen.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Can't you just buy a cheap stylus? We end up with pens and stuff all the time as swag from conventions that have a little rubber bit on the end that my tablet always registered.

Try searching stylus replacement tips on Amazon

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 4, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ironhead posted:

Can't you just buy a cheap stylus? We end up with pens and stuff all the time as swag from conventions that have a little rubber bit on the end that my tablet always registered.

Try searching stylus replacement tips on Amazon

Does that work because of the nub material alone?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I honestly have no idea, and it might have to do with what kind of touch screen it is? But I just wrapped a rag around my stylus to break the circuit between the phone and my skin and it still worked.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tuyop posted:

Is there any way to make a plastic thing work to touch a capacitive screen? Like a tape or a little nubbin I can stick on?

Thinking of making a button pusher robot but I don’t know how to make it work with a touchscreen.

Anything electrically conductive should work, try wrapping the tip in a scrap of aluminum foil.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Anything electrically conductive should work, try wrapping the tip in a scrap of aluminum foil.
This doesn't work if you're not holding it with your bare hands.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Flipperwaldt posted:

This doesn't work if you're not holding it with your bare hands.

I just tried my stylus on my phone with it wrapped in a rag, holding it with my pack of smokes, and with an insulated pair of electricians plliers, putting my stylus on a wood table and pinning it with a block of wood and moving my phone around on it, and it worked everytime? I know nothing about it, just saying what I discovered.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thank you for your thorough testing. Wrapping it in tinfoil sounds like the way to go haha

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Some touchscreens sense pressure, and a stylus will work for those. But there are others that are based on bioelectricity, and they're pretty hard to activate with anything that doesn't have the same characteristics as a finger. If you can operate your device with gloves on, it's pressure based.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Some touchscreens sense pressure, and a stylus will work for those. But there are others that are based on bioelectricity, and they're pretty hard to activate with anything that doesn't have the same characteristics as a finger. If you can operate your device with gloves on, it's pressure based.

Yeah these are definitely capacitive screens here

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Stylus tips aren't made of tinfoil, so proving that the stylus works without skin contact does not prove that tinfoil will. And it won't. I know because I did test it before I posted that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I wonder why "tin foil" is so ubiquitous a term for aluminum foil. Foil hasn't been made of tin since before we were born. I guess it's just easier to say.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

I wonder why "tin foil" is so ubiquitous a term for aluminum foil. Foil hasn't been made of tin since before we were born. I guess it's just easier to say.

I assume it's momentum, just like you don't "hang up" a phone anymore either.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

regulargonzalez posted:

Now that you mention it, I have heard the term "alfoil". Maybe it's an Australianism or Britishism :shrug:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone know where I could find stuff to read about the current state of thought about the reason behind religious prohibitions around semi-simple behavior? (e.g. not eating pork, circumcision, not eating beef) I recall people initially thought it was a health or survival thing, but now more recent thought is that it's more about cultural separation, but that could be wrong, and I don't know what search terms to use to find useful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Carillon posted:

Does anyone know where I could find stuff to read about the current state of thought about the reason behind religious prohibitions around semi-simple behavior? (e.g. not eating pork, circumcision, not eating beef) I recall people initially thought it was a health or survival thing, but now more recent thought is that it's more about cultural separation, but that could be wrong, and I don't know what search terms to use to find useful stuff.

The answer isnt very straight forward at all, but this video is pretty thorough in explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0ZUhBvIx4

(This is just about pork though.)