Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

mind the walrus posted:

It's a fascinating characterization, easily on par with Wolverine, Storm, and Kitty Pryde for GOAT status in the franchise. It just hits a weird loving note to reduce him to thumbs up or thumbs down.

The Celestial's given Captain America a thumbs down and Warlord Kro a thumbs up; whatever standards its using to judge people clearly isn't good/bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Angry Salami posted:

The Celestial's given Captain America a thumbs down and Warlord Kro a thumbs up; whatever standards its using to judge people clearly isn't good/bad.

Plus the whole point is that it's monstrous thing to do in the first place.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Why would you build a DIY Celestial? It seems about a good idea as inviting Galactus around for dinner.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mostly because druig is a dick

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Druig had the Eternals invade Krakoa because he found evidence of excess deviation.

The heroic Eternals tried to create their own Celestial to tell the fundamentalist Eternals that maybe a little deviation from the norm isn’t such a bad thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elissimpark posted:

Why would you build a DIY Celestial? It seems about a good idea as inviting Galactus around for dinner.

The whole story is that Druig (and some other Eternals that are a little on the evil side) are trying to exterminate mutants and since you can't really stop Eternals (since they're, you know, Eternal and will keep reviving even if you kill them) conventionally, the best idea is to get a Celestial to make them stop since Celestials are their bosses. And since the Avengers currently live (well, lived) in a Celestial corpse, a couple of the good Eternals thought that would be a good start for making their own and since Tony had interacted with a few Celestials on prior adventures he'd make an ideal conduit for them to basically upload their OS.

*insert Arrested Development narrator voice here*

It wasn't.

So you know, it's not entirely Tony's fault, just like, 1/5th his fault. It did do its intended job a little though, forcing Druig and his big death machines into a temporary ceasefire. So you know, it's like that scene in Avengers Endgame when Hulk turns Ant-Man into a baby and calls it a win

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

Druig is leading the Eternals, and to shore up his power is using mutants as a political boogie man because they technically count as Deviants (it's noted in the comics that so does a small majority of all life on planet Earth). Because the Eternals are programmed on an instinctual level to combat Excessive Deviation, he's successfully convinced most of the Eternals that Krakoa, with it's immortality and terraforming of Mars, counts. The Eternals two religious leaders, Ajax and Merkari, disagreed, and decided that the quickest way to end the conflict would be to have a Celestial come and personally tell them to cut that poo poo out, but since they can't get hold of any living Celestials, decide to revive the dead one currently being used as the Avenger's base. Granted, they'd already been considering this even before the conflict due to an ongoing crisis of faith caused by the Celstial's increased distancing from the Eternals and questioning of the Celestials motives and methods, and so had wanted to found a new religion by literally making a new God. Because Phastos, the resident science Eternal, correctly called that plan insane, they kidnapped Mr. Sinister to put the plan in action. After the Eternals attacked Krakoa, Tony Stark joins in, partly as a hail mary to prevent a never ending war between two powerful races of immortals, and partly out of (surprise) vanity.

Was this a good idea at any level? No. Is it in character for those involved and incredibly entertaining? Hell yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elissimpark posted:

ajak is a zealot and really stupid

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It seem to me the mutants have several ways of dealing with Eternals without killing them. Most of them named Iceman.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I mean, to be fair, the DIY Celestial did stop Druig and his minions from attacking the mutants.

Now all they need to do is build an even bigger Celestial to stop the DIY Celestial from attacking all life on Earth!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Elfface posted:

They remembered how well it went when he cloned Thor?
I guess that's why they recruited Sinister: his expertise could hold Tony in check.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

I mean, to be fair, the DIY Celestial did stop Druig and his minions from attacking the mutants.

Now all they need to do is build an even bigger Celestial to stop the DIY Celestial from attacking all life on Earth!

Just bigger and bigger Celestials until eventually they get some real ones to stop by and then they just have to sweet talk them into setting everything right without killing anyone.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The topic of Celestials judging people reminded me of something, so I made this

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Harley Quinn - The Animated Series - The Real Sidekicks of New Gotham Special

Kind of surprised no one caught that apron

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why are you all acting like Celestials care about domestic poo poo.

Oh no Cyclops had some domestic problems, why should they care

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Electric_Mud posted:

Nice blood splatter.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Electric_Mud posted:

Seems pretty on brand for the Harley Quinn show.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Elfface posted:

It seem to me the mutants have several ways of dealing with Eternals without killing them. Most of them named Iceman.
Human-scale ones, maybe.

(Preceding context: "People of Earth, I am Druig of the Eternals. We apologize for letting the Mutants get so powerful, and as your protectors, we are going to do something about it. To that end, please do not be afraid of the towering death machines that just appeared off North America's western seaboard...")

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Electric_Mud posted:

The show is really funny, so if the comics are close to that I am all in.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i haven't read that particular issue but the eat, bang, kill tour mini was good

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
Daredevil is sick of this Mar-A-Lago bullshit

From Daredevil #203

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

evilmiera posted:

The show is really funny, so if the comics are close to that I am all in.

site posted:

i haven't read that particular issue but the eat, bang, kill tour mini was good

Yup I highly recommend the Eat Bang Kill Tour series, The Real Sidekicks of New Gotham Special was mostly good.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #32 (1945)

Future Quest Presents #7 (2018)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

This drove me absolutely crazy and just stunk of self-indulgent writing, which stunk because I quite like Judgment Day's whole set up of "You're all being judged by an impossible unknowable force, you can't punch your way out of this, it's down to you to be worthy."

But instead Duggan just writes ole condom head to just go up and say "Um, do you know who my wife is?" and completely castigates the main threat.

At least it's not in the main book.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Has Jean Grey still been the Phoenix in this continuity? This could very well be read as Scott waving his dick around going "I already have a comsmic force judging me, it's... [Borat voice] my wife!"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no she's not the Phoenix right now

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Jean Grey is more scary than the phoenix.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GPTribefan posted:

Daredevil is sick of this Mar-A-Lago bullshit

From Daredevil #203

Next panel:

DAREDEVIL: Ah, well. Nevertheless…

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Grendels Dad posted:

Has Jean Grey still been the Phoenix in this continuity? This could very well be read as Scott waving his dick around going "I already have a comsmic force judging me, it's... [Borat voice] my wife!"

The Celestial in question just punked Jean Grey in psychic combat, so she's no threat here.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #20 (1946)

Galaxy Quest: The Journey Continues #3 (2015)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Jean Grey is more scary than the phoenix.

Invisible Woman once cracked a Celestial's armor with her forcefields, I kinda feel like Jean Grey's TK has been powered up enough to be roughly equivalent.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Invisible Woman once cracked a Celestial's armor with her forcefields, I kinda feel like Jean Grey's TK has been powered up enough to be roughly equivalent.

But wasn't the reason for that they said that Sue's invisible force fields work using hyper space which is the same energy that runs through Celestials?

Like it wasn't so much raw power as the energy it worked with (and raw power )

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I have no idea, I just remember it being brought up in some essay about how Sue Richards was the most powerful member of the F4

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fantastic Four #119 (1972)

Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #3 (2012)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like (x) with jetpacks is the one thing Rocketeer is explicitly best at saving you from.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like (x) with jetpacks is the one thing Rocketeer is explicitly best at saving you from.

I think he means that all he has is a jet-pack, which won't do much good against dinosaurs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wait til you see what the next 3 decades are like, random character in a Swamp Thing comic.

Swamp Thing #81

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uthor posted:

Wait til you see what the next 3 decades are like, random character in a Swamp Thing comic.

Swamp Thing #81

His dick looks really weird.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

His dick looks really weird.

It's Swamp Thing. You can't expect normal bodies (or the plant equivalent of a body) for any character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Spidey Super Stories #50 (1981)

Quasar #42 (1993)