Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Looks like Feb 8th is latest hit for 512 orders, ahead of the Feb 25th order start. I'd imagine next week is going to be slow, then pick up again after.

I think the media blitz was already beginning at this point, and that's reflected in the numbers:

40% less queue time passed this batch compared to the last one, almost certainly due to higher order density.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Just wanted to share a weird missing UI feature that others might find helpful. I like to play Destiny 2 with my friends who are usually playing on Playstation which means we use the games built in voice chat to talk. I wanted to use the Steam Deck to stream Destiny while still being able to use my microphone, from my Google searches it seemed that the response was voice chat in remote play on Deck/Linux was "not supported" but it definitely works just fine. Turns out theres just no obvious toggle in the Deck's SteamOS to unmute your microphone while in Remote Play. However, if you connect a hardware keyboard and hold down the ESC key you can access the Remote Play client UI and reach the unmute toggle there.

So if anyone wants to use the Steam Decks microphone while in Remote Play it totally works, you just need a hardware keyboard to turn it on.

Here's what the Remote Play UI looks like when you access it with a hardware keyboard. You can see my microphone is muted, if I just tap that toggle it works great.

I submitted a feature request on the Steam board to add the toggle to the regular menus. I would imagine its pretty simple to do since all the work is done but the toggle in the regular UI.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

HopperUK posted:

Uhhhh you maybe should get your deck looked at there

Not the burning plastic or other fried electronics smell. Just the typical VOC's that most new plastics emit just sitting around, but even more so if they're heated. I expect it will go away with time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Deck has a hot plastic smell when it warms up and I sniff near the top vent. Pretty normal.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my deck smells like fried chicken

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Steam Deck - I sniff near the top vent. Pretty normal.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I've copped that sniff my deck too, it's kinda like a new car smell on a 85+ deg day. Seems okay

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Paging Seth Decksniff

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Do you guys sniff your Deck haha, like imagine a giant Deck crushing you and blowing those Deck farts at you hahaha. Nothing sexual, just really funny to imagine lol.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I always sniff my fingers after holding my deck.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I sniff my deck a lot.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Anyone try to play Civ VI yet and if so, how does that play/run?

JumpyMonky
Jul 30, 2010

CORN
I'm glad I'm not the only one who regularly sniffs their deck.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Why you comin' home 5 in the morn'
Something's going on, can I smell yo deck?
Don't play me like a fool, cause that ain't cool
So what you need to do is lemme smell yo deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vic posted:

Why you comin' home 5 in the morn'
Something's going on, can I smell yo deck?
Don't play me like a fool, cause that ain't cool
So what you need to do is lemme smell yo deck

lol

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I got enough microplastics in me, what's a little more sniffing the exhaust vent?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

512gb version comes with a spritz of Gabe’s cologne on the inside

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was wondering what that cheese smell was.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Vic posted:

Paging Seth Decksniff

A freshly varnished deck is a smell to sniff that's for sure!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Getting a new disease after sniffing my overheated deck for over two hours a day.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I have just ordered one of these guys- have to wait til the 19th for a friend to bring it to me from the UK but I am pumped.

Cant wait to not be able to decide what to install on it/ lose hours of my life following guides to install something and then play it for 5 minutes/ sniff that sweet air vent.

Say I had aspirations of playing a modded gog version of bloodlines and/or new vegas- would I be dissapointed?

Or alpha protocol even!?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Zurtilik posted:

Getting a new disease after sniffing my overheated deck for over two hours a day.

So that's what killed that 71 year old and two of her nurses in Brazil :thunk:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Science_enthusiast posted:

Or alpha protocol even!?

I have AP installed on mine but actually haven’t booted it up yet. I’m quite sure it should work just fine tbh.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there an option to split the video when connecting to a docking station? Just yesterday I connected my Deck to my work docking station via USB-C and the display popped right up. Tonight I wanted to play around with it so I plugged it in, and the mouse and keyboard work but there's no display. The only variable I can think of is that the battery is low.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Did you try a reboot, and going into desktop mode?

or vice versa

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

With Deck heating on the topic of discussion when the hell is color changing plastic from the 90s going to be back in style so I can get a Steam Deck that changes rainbow colors as I use it. I remember having this dope rear end spoon like that from a box of Trix. It owned so hard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They stopped using that plastic after they found out it was making people sterile.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Have any of you tried spectating Dota2 on the deck, particularly while docked? TI is coming up and I'm pondering the most convenient way to watch a few games on my tv. Seems like it might be a big pain in the rear end without a mouse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It has a track pad though?

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

MarcusSA posted:

It has a track pad though?

While docking with my tv, I'm typically just using an xbox controller, not the Deck itself. Maybe the right answer is to just get a bluetooth mouse or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

While docking with my tv, I'm typically just using an xbox controller, not the Deck itself. Maybe the right answer is to just get a bluetooth mouse or something.

Yeah.

So I got this for couch gaming on my laptop and it actually works pretty drat well. I played a lot of hours of New World with it and it had no issues.

Image Wireless USB Handheld Finger Trackball Mouse with Laser Pointer https://a.co/12eAUBO

It’s actually surprisingly comfortable because you can just rest your hand by your side and do everything you need.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you have a PS4/5 you can use a DS4 on Steam, which has a trackpad that you should be able to use like a laptop touchpad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Detective No. 27 posted:

They stopped using that plastic after they found out it was making people sterile.

We have steam decks, we're already effectively sterile.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

If you have a PS4/5 you can use a DS4 on Steam, which has a trackpad that you should be able to use like a laptop touchpad.

Whoa finally a use for that trackpad

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How long after you pay does it usually take to ship the deck? I know this has probably been asked a million times already but I did a quick check and couldn't find anything. My steam page shows I paid but it's been at "shipping soon" for a while. When I got notice on Tuesday I was hoping to be able to get it before the holiday weekend but now I'm wondering why it's taking so long to ship.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My Thursday order only took a couple days to ship out, I had it in my hands 6 days after I ordered. I feel like the Monday orders seem to take longer to ship though, I've heard a number of stories, including the two IRL friends I know who ordered Decks, about Monday orders taking almost a week to even ship out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anybody playing Enderal SE? I had it working great but now the game crashes after opening it from the launcher. Neither the game nor the Deck took an update and I’ve tried rebooting so I’m confused about what could be going on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Medullah posted:

Is there an option to split the video when connecting to a docking station? Just yesterday I connected my Deck to my work docking station via USB-C and the display popped right up. Tonight I wanted to play around with it so I plugged it in, and the mouse and keyboard work but there's no display. The only variable I can think of is that the battery is low.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Did you try a reboot, and going into desktop mode?

or vice versa

Yeah reboot, restart, desktop mode and back, chanting, it recognizes the mouse and keyboard but no video. That's why I was wondering if there was some display option I was missing (like Windows + P on a Windows machine)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Random Stranger posted:

How long after you pay does it usually take to ship the deck? I know this has probably been asked a million times already but I did a quick check and couldn't find anything. My steam page shows I paid but it's been at "shipping soon" for a while. When I got notice on Tuesday I was hoping to be able to get it before the holiday weekend but now I'm wondering why it's taking so long to ship.

I paid on Monday and got a shipping notification an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

From what I’ve gathered they take the orders on Monday, roll the unclaimed in to Thursday and then ship everything at the end of the week.

My turn should be Monday, and I’m just bracing myself for that week or so of pretending I didn’t order it.