Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Jeez, leagues getting army wide armor of contempt and no rerolling wounds or damage against them seems hilariously awful to play against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

AnEdgelord posted:

Codex leaked online and after skimming it a little I dont see much MW defense

Gotta say this has been the best April fools prank ever. They even did a fake codex to follow up the fake model announcements!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cynic Jester posted:

Jeez, leagues getting army wide armor of contempt and no rerolling wounds or damage against them seems hilariously awful to play against.

it should be noted that 4+ save is by far the most common in the army especially on units you'll be taking more than one of

theres only two units with a 2+ save, one of which is the land raider equivalent and the other is a character model

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Listen I made the "GW makes the game faster by letting squats skip steps" post as a joke, okay, I didn't know there was a monkey's paw in my basement, please forgive me

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Cynic Jester posted:

Salamanders have been doing that for a while.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

New Land Fortress looks like the Turtle Van imho but luckily I love TMNT

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hell yes!

Wait isnt this kinda thier old color scheme?

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

This is my Salamanders and I still get wiped out in two turns by Tau.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Robo Captain posted:

This is my Salamanders and I still get wiped out in two turns by Tau.

and as I said, most of the Votann poo poo is a 4+ save, with their basic troops only having 1 wound, the Einhyr are really REALLY tough but outside of them and the Hekaton you're not getting any 2+ saves

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Giving Ork choppas AP 1 seems like a mean prank at this point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

neaden posted:

Just give them the old choppa rule. No AP, but saving throws made against wounds caused by this weapon will always fail on a 1-3.

:getin:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Is this the right place to complain about how fiddly and annoying some newer kits are to make? I am doing the Voidscarred corsair kill team at the moment. I thought the tau grenadier who has a grenade attached by two fingertips was the easiest broken model I'd ever build. But some of these pieces are just ridiculous.

The tiny daggers for the rogue guy are not only thin as hell but also modelled with melty holes like swiss cheese... the dagger is so delicate it almost broke just taking it from the sprue, I had to coat it with superglue to harden it because I bent/stressed it trying to remove the flash, even using tweezers. It annoys me because I intend to play games with these models, so I can pretty much guarantee such bits will break and get lost eventually. The sniper and others have tiny dangling pouches all over that are so easy to break off as well, but less important than the weapons...

Another issue is the monopose rifle arm sets all come in 3 pieces rather than 2 which takes so much more patience and precision to stick them together even close to flush... and the sprue and instructions themselves are laid out in a really poo poo manner compared to what I remember older kits being like.

The whole experience just brings back memories of first trying the hobby as a kid and brimming with frustration, struggling as arms slide out of place or glue sets at the wrong angles. The models do look great and all and I assume the sprue layout is cos a computer said so but jesus they could do with some more consideration for the humans trying to build and play with these models.

I bought a gang of ironhead squats to give necromunda a try, they'll be next after the corsairs. I hope what I heard is true and necromunda stuff is a more chill experience to build.

The loving bird it comes with broke 3 times over when I clipped it off the sprue.

The thing that upsets me about newer kits is it is super non obvious which parts go with what. Things also aren't always next to other parts that you'd think they'd be. You actually need to read the instructions to avoid stuff just not fitting.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 2, 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
that's really a compliment huh, that you have to read the instructions?

*laughs in GunPla*

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Awwwwww hell yeah

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Do we actually know 'Void Armor' in that leak - the one that says Void Armor gets the Armor of Contempt rule - is all the armor Leagues get? Or is Void Armor a specific thing on some, but not all, units? Just hearing the name, it sounds like it should be airtight - like power armor - but the Hearthkyn guys don't look like they're wearing airtight suits. Maybe the fabric sections can be airtight and they just put helmets on.

As someone who's been playing DG since their 9th ed book came out, yeah, no matter how amazing your rules are, a 5" move still significantly limits your options and makes it difficult to control the flow of the game. The reason Tau are scary isn't because they have amazing shooting, it's because they're super mobile and have amazing shooting... on top of some annoying defensive tools.

I don't think they focused the previews on them specifically, but in the big panorama shot you can see there's some kind of lighter vehicle with more of a hump shape than the land fortress thing - probably their version of a Rhino, but not flying - which would suggest they're still reliant on Rhino-style gameplay if they want to get around the board fast, which comes with some significant risks and point sinks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

https://twitter.com/CommissarDraeci/status/1565272445497610240

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Coldbird posted:

Do we actually know 'Void Armor' in that leak - the one that says Void Armor gets the Armor of Contempt rule - is all the armor Leagues get? Or is Void Armor a specific thing on some, but not all, units? Just hearing the name, it sounds like it should be airtight - like power armor - but the Hearthkyn guys don't look like they're wearing airtight suits. Maybe the fabric sections can be airtight and they just put helmets on.

Even the berserks, who don't wear armor, get the rule.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

God-DAMNIT, remembering the assassins just made me realize what the joke was about polymorphine.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cynic Jester posted:

Even the berserks, who don't wear armor, get the rule.

They have void-armoured pants. You know, for topless space walks.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

S.J. posted:

Just give them the old choppa rule. No AP, but saving throws made against wounds caused by this weapon will always fail on a 1-3.

:getin:

That's a 4+ daemon save these days lol

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

neaden posted:

TBH the entire game could use everything losing a point of AP, units like gaunts shouldn't be AP 1

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think a lot of the difficulty is the fact is the impression given by the old system of AP being disconnect from the new one pre-AoC.

Take the boltgun. In the old system it was AP5 which mean a 5+ or 6+ save couldn't be taken against it. As a result it was brutally good at cutting down Guardsmen and Eldar Guardians etc. Orks and Kroot didn't get their 6+ against it either. It started to hit trouble when you shot at Aspect Warriors, Fire Warriors, other Space Marines etc.

Now it has 0AP, if you do 6 wounds to my guardsmen I save two of them, maybe 3 if I'm lucky. That doesn't feel the same as you just gunning them down. Before there was a type of infantry they were real good at killing (light infantry) but now they don't really seem that good at much.

On the other hand though, if you give them - 1AP (without AoC) they become really effective at not just killing light infantry, but even space marines. When a unit's price is partially predicated on the fact they have a 3+ armour save, dropping it to a 4+ with a large volume of shots is a big deal.

So the problem is 0AP boltguns feel lame, - 1AP boltguns feel maybe a bit strong.

Now personally I think boltguns should feel stronger, they are pretty awesome weapons and all boltguns should probably be -1AP, but a lot of stuff probably shouldn't have it as it makes it too good against heavy armour with the volume they chuck out.

This is where I think the rumour of a "reset" comes in for 10e, it's probably a toning down of AP, maybe toning down invulnerable saves, and removal of AoC.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm not a 40k knower, can someone tell me if the guard in the guard vs league battle report had any chance at all? It looked like the guard player had to be incredibly lucky to do anything, while the league had to get very unlucky to fail to do anything. E: I get it was a bad match up, but it seemed like an impossible match up.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

OK, but now give me the Pizza Thrower

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

I'm not a 40k knower, can someone tell me if the guard in the guard vs league battle report had any chance at all? It looked like the guard player had to be incredibly lucky to do anything, while the league had to get very unlucky to fail to do anything. E: I get it was a bad match up, but it seemed like an impossible match up.

Considering Guard still has no 9th ed book, and the biggest band aid they've gotten so far is Armor of Contempt for vehicles it was very much an impossible match up to show how cool the Votann are.

Speaking of interesting Votann colour choices, someone I've been following has had some interesting ideas:
https://twitter.com/AndyCRuns/status/1565326546935730182
https://twitter.com/AndyCRuns/status/1565332492680196100

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 2, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Greggs one is the winner

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Greggs one is the winner

Squats would definitely eat at Greggs

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

The loving bird it comes with broke 3 times over when I clipped it off the sprue.

The thing that upsets me about newer kits is it is super non obvious which parts go with what. Things also aren't always next to other parts that you'd think they'd be. You actually need to read the instructions to avoid stuff just not fitting.

I have gotten the bird off the sprue ok but trimming the flash off it was nerve wracking. I like that they put a sprue connection right at the front top of its head, the most prominent place to end up with a nice big patch of scuffed detail on this otherwise super cool piece.

One more annoying thing with the kill teams in general is it's super easy to put together an illegal configuration just following the instructions. Most people will instinctively make all the special operatives and fill the rest with normal guys, but with Corsairs especially if you do that you'll end up with 3 gunners when you can only take 1, and miss out completely on a special close combat guy because he's misprinted in the instructions as a regular warrior configuration.

Thanks to a helpful reddit post I avoided thise pitfalls, and on the good side, I think I'm finally getting the hang of cloning pieces with blue stuff and milliput when needs be for magnetizing options!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I'm 3d printing all of the infantry for my new guard army even though I have been waiting for Kasrkin for a decade, because the Tau army I put together at the beginning of covid completely burned me out on the hobby for over a year. Putting together all of the fiddly bits, doing scavenger hunts for pieces on the floor, and having super glue all over your fingers for days just sucks.

On the other hand, GW seems to be getting a lot better at vehicle kits. The last Leman Russ I put together (that kit is on its what, 4th iteration now?) was easy and took like 30 minutes.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Thanks to a helpful reddit post I avoided thise pitfalls, and on the good side, I think I'm finally getting the hang of cloning pieces with blue stuff and milliput when needs be for magnetizing options!

Any tricks for cloning using blue stuff and milliput? I have an arm I'm trying to clone and I've been having issues getting a clean enough copy.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Floppychop posted:

Any tricks for cloning using blue stuff and milliput? I have an arm I'm trying to clone and I've been having issues getting a clean enough copy.

When making the mold push the piece in firmly and then gently push the edges of the blue stuff in around the sides a little but not enough to lap over. Then when putting on the top blue stuff push it down on the piece firmly but in both cases stop mushing the blue stuff around asap and just let it cool after the initial push down... it hardens quite quickly against the cool plastic so you will only be smushing your details around.

Dusting talc in the mold before adding the milliput helps pop the piece out later even if it's really snug, and then I put the closed mold under a heavy stack of paperback books for 24 hours (I heard 3 or 4 is enough). I specify paperback because the stack conforms to the irregular shape of the top of my molds and applies pressure more evenly in my head at least.

Also using the minimum amount of milliput possible seems to have been the biggest difference for me, using too much milliput means the sides won't close fully and you'll get a monster moldline.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I used to play back in 5th edition, and ended up selling all my armies etc off when kids came along. I've had the itch to paint again though and ended up buying myself the Kill Team starter box and some other Ork models since I never owned any, or painted them.

I have now painted my first mini in nearly 10 years

The "new" contrast paints are pretty great, this was a roughly 2 hour paint job. Need to pick out some more details and start highlighting but happy with how it's turned out so far.

Main 40k seems so complicated now compared to what I was used to, but Kill Team looks rad as hell and hopefully I can get some games in locally

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah the game is absurdly bloated / overcomplicated now and while I hope they do a soft reset with 10th they'll probably just end up piling endless bullshit on top of that too like they did with 9th.

I wish AoS was more popular locally because it is infinitely easier / faster / more fun to play but 40k is all anyone plays here and I do also prefer the lore / models.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
So all I want in this world is to run chaos knights with Be’lakor. I’ve got the knights to kind of run whatever configuration, and a Be’lakor, but no other daemons. What would I need to pick up to make it work? What would the detachments be like?

I know codex doesn’t officially come out until tomorrow, just wondering if anybody picked up this info already.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

So all I want in this world is to run chaos knights with Be’lakor. I’ve got the knights to kind of run whatever configuration, and a Be’lakor, but no other daemons. What would I need to pick up to make it work? What would the detachments be like?

I know codex doesn’t officially come out until tomorrow, just wondering if anybody picked up this info already.

You can...

a) Run Chaos Demons (with Belakor) with a single unit of Knights (either a unit of Wardogs or a big boy) using the Freeblade rule (or whatever the chaos equivalent is called).
b) Run Knights with 25% of your points spent on Demons using the Demon's rule that lets you soup them in at 25% of your points
c) Just say "gently caress it" and dumpster all your faction rules and run as pure Chaos soup and not win any games against competitive people

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
There was also an article in WD 475 that had extra bonuses specifically for running House Korvax with Be'lakor

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Speaking of wd, anyone need the necron rules from this issue?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

smug jeebus posted:

There was also an article in WD 475 that had extra bonuses specifically for running House Korvax with Be'lakor

It's in the Daemons book too. Specifically you can take a Super-Heavy Aux with one House Korvax unit, and it still gets all the things it would normally get in a detachment even though Aux doesn't usually, and if you give it an upgrade with a Favor it has to be the Dark Master one. Which is actually amazingly good for a Knight so who cares? Downside for Be'lakor's special army is there is no way to buy anyone Warlord traits and no way to buy anyone but Daemons Relics. Also there is some fuckery with secondaries depending on what you take. If you want you can absolutely take a Supreme Commander detachment with Be'lakor, a Battalion with all your Daemon and Space Marine stuff, and an Aux with a Korvax knight.

You'll lose out on a bunch of stuff mono-army could do, but you'll also have two roughly 400 point models with amazing saves running around so....gently caress it, that's enough against a lot of people. "Are you going to win tournaments?" as a question of army viability is always answered with "Are you even going to tournaments?". I'm sure there is a viable list there, but mostly you pick it because you want to have the diverse range of Chaos stuff on the table in one army, with more rules viability than "They are all Chaos and all my special rules don't work". With Be'lakor and his army you can go anywhere from "All" to "Most" of your rules work.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How the hell did the League of Votann leak before Daemons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Gw knows theres more money to be made in a new army than in an updated army