Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So ballistic missiles have no effect on Shigaraki, but Bakugo's explosions are his weakness. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

So ballistic missiles have no effect on Shigaraki, but Bakugo's explosions are his weakness. :psyduck:

Zoo cannon did nothing either

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Nephthys posted:

I think someone hit it on the head that maiming Mirko is Horikoshi's fetish.

Yeah tbh it’s gone from cool the first time to ridiculous when she revealed the robo limbs to gross and weird now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Having real trouble parsing the action on this one. It's just a mess of Mirko jumping around with torn-up limbs and Shigaraki's hand-blobs, with other characters popping in and out at random. I really can't follow this any more, and while it could be the translation, the dialogue isn't helping at all either.

Really starting to lean toward "wake me up when it's over".

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Nephthys posted:

I think someone hit it on the head that maiming Mirko women is Horikoshi's fetish.

It's a weird, gross pattern at this point.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

A Single Sphink posted:

It's a weird, gross pattern at this point.

Remember how Curious is the only named member of the MLA to die?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just gonna Nth the comments that what Hori is doing with maiming Mirko is really uncomfortable and gross

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is Horikoshi's revenge for that Mirko/Bakugo fanart

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arist posted:

Just gonna Nth the comments that what Hori is doing with maiming Mirko is really uncomfortable and gross

Making me finally consider just giving up at this point since it had already become incredibly boring and I was just reading for the spectacle of how ridiculous it got for fun. Maiming this character repeatedly is really adding nothing and is getting kinda weird. Like kill her off or don't but just as everything else in this arc it's incredibly dragged out for absolutely no gain.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm starting to mentally check out from this series now.

I'm sick of Shiggy just being able to magically manifest body parts (and now people I guess??) without that technically being a quirk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, if Shigaraki just showed up with a number of mutant body quirks like the tail guy, this would be significantly easier to swallow.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

You know, if Shigaraki just showed up with a number of mutant body quirks like the tail guy, this would be significantly easier to swallow.

That's not even consistent. Eraserhead can't turn off weird body quirks but tail guy supposedly loses control of his tail if Eraserhead looks at him?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is that how that works? That's weird.

What happens to Froppy if Eraser looks at her? Does she just mentally revert to a frog?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
When Erasure is used on Cementoss, he crumbles into dust.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Feels like Hori wanted to do that, but also wanted to take Decay and hyper regeneration off the table because he would just be too powerful then and this was the best he could come up with.

Probably could have gotten around this if they had just said Star and Stripe had destroyed those two quirks when she was going on that rampage in his mind or whatever. Would have meant she had an actual impact on the story at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

What happens to Froppy if Eraser looks at her? Does she just mentally revert to a frog?

That's why I said it's inconsistent. He couldn't turn off a Nomu's super strength but he could turn off tail guy's tail.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

That's why I said it's inconsistent. He couldn't turn off a Nomu's super strength but he could turn off tail guy's tail.

Nomu's super strength was not because of a quirk but genetic engineering.

She looks the same, but she won't be able to extend her tongue or jump higher and stuff. Tail guy if looked at won't be able to move his tail but it won't go away.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nomu's super strength was not a quirk it was body modification, explicitly so, and he turns off the control of the tail. They've explained it before but what Eraserhwad's quirk does is shuts down the quirk genetic factors in the brain. So for heteromorphs it doesn't remove their mutations, just their control of them.

Basically he disconnects the quirk from the body, but it's all mental not physical. For example with Tokoyami he didn't make Dark Shadow disappear, he simply stopped it from acting at all.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the most effective thing anyone's ever done to Shigaraki at this point is Mirio waving his hands in front of his face like he's playing a prank. this manga sucks

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

the most effective thing anyone's ever done to Shigaraki at this point is Mirio waving his hands in front of his face like he's playing a prank. this manga sucks

What about Mirio telling him he has no friends

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWorksWell posted:

What about Mirio telling him he has no friends

That and his apology have definitely been highlights

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What even is the basis of the Naruto/Sakura pairing? That he had a crush on her at the start of the manga? Sakura barely even knows him until after the time-skip.

The simple fact that "the person a shounen protagonist is interested in is probably the person he'll end up with"

Obviously the pairing doesn't really make sense and wouldn't be a good idea, but simply having a protagonist have an unrequited interest for most (or at least a very big portion) of a series, and then having the "end game" interest be a relatively minor side character, is unusual.

To be clear, I am saying it is good that he did not end up with Sakura

Delphisage posted:

Remember how Curious is the only named member of the MLA to die?

Also Midnight

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 2, 2022

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

CuwiKhons posted:

Maybe I'm just tired but I can't really parse this. I thought Edgeshot was going to just straight up replace Bakugo's heart, which was stupid but at least made some kind of sense. Instead he's... sewing his organs... back together? After his heart exploded?

I think the main issue, at least with this part, is that a bunch of the leaked text spoilers that came out before the past few chapters have been exaggerated or straight up wrong, and people are confusing them as actually happening in the manga.

I don't think Bakugo's heart ever exploded. There were spoilers that said he was detonating his own blood and blew up his heart, but in the actual chapter what happened was he wasn't just detonating palm sweat, but sweat all across his body he'd been unconsciously storing up in order to fling himself around fast enough to dodge Shigaraki, until he got his chest stabbed/caved in by Shigaraki's cancer hands.

Likewise, BJ did not fashion a brand new jeart for Bakugo, but tried to sew up his damaged heart with fibers. As pointed out in this chapter, that doesn't work but at that point what else could he do. Now Edgeshot is making himself suture-thin to properly surgically stitch up Bakugo from both inside and outside the organs at the same time.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

donotpost posted:

It's not Mirko, it's that Bakugo's attack had an effect he's only noticing now

I don't think it's actually anything Bakugo did, just that Bakugo looks like the second guy who had OFA and it's making AFO-Shiggy have a panic attack.

Also the Miruko stuff is just gross.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

The simple fact that "the person a shounen protagonist is interested in is probably the person he'll end up with"
I think the logic was more "the main guy always ends up with the main girl". That's what kept IchiRuki alive as well, least from what I heard.

Ytlaya posted:

Also Midnight
I was referencing how she's the only named character to die in MVA, not making a detailed account of all the moments that could qualify for Hori getting off on maiming women.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair in ichigo and rukia's case, they actually had a way more interesting dynamic and the first arc of the series was largely about exploring said dynamic. that one makes way more sense to me

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also Renji should have never gotten married

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ytlaya posted:

Also Midnight

Don't forget about Magne too.

Woozie66 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 3, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also Renji should have never gotten married

:hai:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Staltran posted:

I don't think it's actually anything Bakugo did, just that Bakugo looks like the second guy who had OFA and it's making AFO-Shiggy have a panic attack.

Also the Miruko stuff is just gross.

Bakugo seemed to notice something before he went down. So I am betting he found some weaknesses

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

to be fair in ichigo and rukia's case, they actually had a way more interesting dynamic and the first arc of the series was largely about exploring said dynamic. that one makes way more sense to me

ichigo and rukia made a lot more sense than the actual pairings that ended up happening tbh

having the lead guy and girl just be friends is a good idea but bleach didn't do a good job selling the other relationships at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

ichigo and rukia made a lot more sense than the actual pairings that ended up happening tbh

having the lead guy and girl just be friends is a good idea but bleach didn't do a good job selling the other relationships at all

also orihime got more screentime in the back half than rukia from what i remember. hinata was at least always kind of a side character so that angle still works for naruto but orihime was a pretty main character too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Orihime was also one of the most nothing girl characters in shounen by the end of the series. It sucks because she was really cool and weird in the first section but as soon as they go to Soul Society her role gets reduced to just yelling 'Kurosaki-kun!' over and over again. I don't think Ichigo and her ever have an actual conversation past that point in the series.

Also in terms of the series' being discussed, Naruto is actually a fairly great series right up until Sasuke beats Itachi. After that, his characterization goes completely off the rails and Naruto's has to follow him way over the edge of believability. Naruto passing out because someone had the gall to not forgive a mass-murderer for (seemingly) killing their brother was one of the most pathetic things any shounen lead has done. Also, the power-scaling gets ramped up past the point where we can relate or react to it and the plot gets kind of crappy. It's still a decent series but it falls into the traps a lot of late-shounen do with the added problem of one of the main characters being an irredeemable lunatic.

Bleach is just straight-up poo poo. It was great at the start until the end of Soul Society but then it just plummets into terrible back-to-back fights with no plot or stakes and awful paneling with no backgrounds until it was unceremoniously canceled. My Hero Academia has not reached even a tenth of the nadir that Bleach was in for 70% of it's run. It was only enjoyable to hate-read or in a so bad its good capacity.

One Piece is fantastic and will go down as a modern masterpiece.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 3, 2022

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

My favorite battle shonen ending arc is still the Ushio and Tora one.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bakugo seemed to notice something before he went down. So I am betting he found some weaknesses

When? If you mean in 362 then I don't see anything. If before, then... why didn't he tell Jeanist?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
This has been a standing question for like 10 chapters now but if "the ability to grow infinite hands" is not a quirk, then what the hell is it?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Mymla posted:

This has been a standing question for like 10 chapters now but if "the ability to grow infinite hands" is not a quirk, then what the hell is it?

Cancer

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mymla posted:

An rear end pull.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Mymla posted:

A ticking clock to incentivize defeating Silver Chariot Requiem.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The key to defeating AFOgaraki is to make a plot development so boring and stupid even he facepalms and accidentally dusts himself.