Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Stunning strike should definitely be once per turn, as it is you can very easily burn 4 ki in one round and brute force them into either a low save or expending a legendary resistance or two.

This would only be acceptable if it cost no Ki. Monks do NOT need a nerf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Mr. Lobe posted:

This would only be acceptable if it cost no Ki. Monks do NOT need a nerf.

Yeah, brute-forcing bosses into burning their legendaries so the casters could get their spells to work was one of the few ways that my buddy's monk felt like he had something important to contribute to combat aside from middling DPR.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I try to play a monk in everything because I like the concept. I love my monk, he's just so bad that the rest of the party complains constantly about how useless I am.

Heck remember when they almost gave monk a good subclass(dragon) and then nerfed it before releasing it and now it also sucks?

If stunning strike is the reason wotc won't make the monk fun or interesting, lock it behind a subclass or high level or remove it and add some interesting features to the monk.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Stunning strike should definitely be once per turn, as it is you can very easily burn 4 ki in one round and brute force them into either a low save or expending a legendary resistance or two.

I disagree, the monk SHOULD be good at this sort of thing. Burning almost all of your ki points at low levels and still a significant fraction at high levels to force a single target negative status is fine. The problem only comes into play when the DM has decided their will only be 1 enemy on the map, and honestly, that is a bad idea anyway due to action economy reasons. Even if we assume KI is doubled for the monk, it still is a great deal of resources to stun 1 enemy. Compare a monk pouring all their resources to stun an enemy to a paladin doing the same to outright kill an enemy. Dead>Stun.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
In my most recent campaign I looked at the PCs and created a list of scenarios that each one would excel at or be challenged by.

For the long death monk in particular I decided on including vertical elements and bodies of water to move across and mobs of weaker minions he could take out with a hit or two, which would also grant him temp hp. At first I had to give the player a few suggestions of how he might take advantage of running along walls (such as running along the wall of a hallway to get on the other side of some enemies) but he eventually took to coming up with ideas himself.

In the final fight of the campaign I had a chamber with a raised platform surrounded by a sea of ghouls, as well as several flying enemies. During the battle he ran across the heads of the ghouls (I made sure to describe it as a "sea" of ghouls to get him thinking about the possibility) and at one point ran up a wall and jumped off a wall to attack a flying enemy before teleporting (he was a shadar-kai) back over the platform and slow falling to safety. He also had to deal with increasing numbers of ghouls climbing onto the platform (1d6 ghouls per round of combat), but his number of attacks allowed him to mow them down and get temp hp back.

While I'm at it, in that encounter I also included a number of monsters with particularly dangerous abilities (ideally for the rogue to judiciously dispose of) and a homebrew tentacled Earth elemental for the bard to cast her favorite spell, shatter, on (which had the added benefit of destroying the creature's tentacles, which could attempt to petrify whatever the monster grappled).

I guess my DMing style when it comes to combat encounters is to see what each PC's strengths and weaknesses are and then craft encounters that take them into account. Sometimes am encounters will have elements that let a PC really shine, and sometimes there will be ones that feature a threat one PC will need help to take down. I was actually inspired by the video game series Etrian Odyssey, where party composition and specs have a massive impact on combat effectiveness.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 2, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Oh what's that? Later on monks don't need to eat or drink water? drat that's almost as interesting as 8th level spells

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, brute-forcing bosses into burning their legendaries so the casters could get their spells to work was one of the few ways that my buddy's monk felt like he had something important to contribute to combat aside from middling DPR.

"My character exists to serve as a button for another class to be superior" is not an ideal design.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Toshimo posted:

"My character exists to serve as a button for another class to be superior" is not an ideal design.

But a surprisingly popular one if effective. Battlefield control and buffing/debuffing can be extremely fun if it viscerally feels like you're helping. Monks just don't have that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Another thing. Monks can run up walls and not take fall damage. Core feature. Once you get to higher levels the other characters have their broom of flying or boots of flying or potions of flying or any number of things. Monk design space is easily eclipsed and the feeling of cool monk stuff exists as long as players decide to not do monk stuff just so a monk can do monk stuff.

Give monks scaling reactions maybe? And let them catch projectiles not targeting them. Maybe let them catch targeted spells at 11th level or something?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

RC Cola posted:

Oh what's that? Later on monks don't need to eat or drink water? drat that's almost as interesting as 8th level spells

Warforged and autognome monks sigh in resignation

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Azathoth posted:

But a surprisingly popular one if effective. Battlefield control and buffing/debuffing can be extremely fun if it viscerally feels like you're helping. Monks just don't have that.

Give the monk more options. Blinding strike, dazing strike. Let monks target other saving throws with different strikes. Boom easy change and then you aren't burning 12 ki points to try to land a stun on an enemy with +16 to con saves

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I will say Purity of Body rules. We fought an ancient green dragon and our DM was not expecting me to be immune to its breath weapon. Top 1 monk experience

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

RC Cola posted:

I try to play a monk in everything because I like the concept. I love my monk, he's just so bad that the rest of the party complains constantly about how useless I am.

No offense, but your party complaining about your inefficiencies makes them sound unbearable. So long as you didn't actively build or play them wrong on purpose, that is.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Another problem is that monks are both designed as skirmishers (lots of improved movement options, low HP, mediocre AC) but actually skirmishing doesn't give them advantages and actually makes them worse (Step of the Wind costs both ki which could be used on better abilities, and a bonus action, meaning you lose a big chunk of damage). I feel like giving them more benefits to actually making use of their movement could be more interesting than just boosting the "stand there and punch" ability. What if Step of the Wind didn't cost Ki, and also gave you a bonus attack or damage if you attacked an enemy you didn't start your turn next to, or gave enemies disadvantage to attack if they weren't adjacent to you at the start of your turn?

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 2, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

RC Cola posted:

Give monks scaling reactions maybe? And let them catch projectiles not targeting them. Maybe let them catch targeted spells at 11th level or something?

Impenetrable Ki or something. You've honed your essence to fortress-like levels and get magic resistance

change my name fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 2, 2022

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Zurreco posted:

No offense, but your party complaining about your inefficiencies makes them sound unbearable. So long as you didn't actively build or play them wrong on purpose, that is.

We have a bunch of campaigns going on in the same world based on which players / DM can play on a given night. So its mostly "why are you playing Rain Cloud. I miss Boggles". Boggles is a cleric you see. So I go from one of the best most efficient classes to one of the worst. Its mostly the one player who misses Boggles, but Boggles is off screen trying to convert more followers to the glory of Thrym.

I miss Boggles. He is on his third god since I created him and can use tempest cleric's maximize on cold damage as well. He is fun and cool.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also apparently they stealth changed Hadozee on D&D beyond, removing like 2/3 of the description and changing Glide

quote:

When you fall at least 10 feet above the ground, you can use your reaction to extend your skin membranes to glide horizontally a number of feet equal to your walking speed, and you take 0 damage from the fall. You determine the direction of the glide.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Piell posted:

Also apparently they stealth changed Hadozee on D&D beyond, removing like 2/3 of the description and changing Glide

Well....we still have Manta Glide on Simic hybrids at least :)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Piell posted:

Yes, WotC was trending on Twitter because people found the Hadozee race origin/description racist (ape people who were uplifted for slavery before being set free and who naturally love working + have a heightened pain resistance uhhhh). It appears they've now cut all of that

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Toshimo posted:

If we're creating a dedicated support class it would be.

But of course, I didn't claim it was "ideal design". I just agreed that it shouldn't be nerfed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PeterWeller posted:

If we're creating a dedicated support class it would be.

But of course, I didn't claim it was "ideal design". I just agreed that it shouldn't be nerfed.

Making a class useful beyond a single button isn't a nerf.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Making a class useful beyond a single button isn't a nerf.

Making stunning strike 1/round is a nerf.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Monk shield? No, no, these are "wristbands". They give +2 ac and only monks can use them.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hexmage-SA posted:

In my most recent campaign I looked at the PCs and created a list of scenarios that each one would excel at or be challenged by.

For the long death monk in particular I decided on including vertical elements and bodies of water to move across and mobs of weaker minions he could take out with a hit or two, which would also grant him temp hp. At first I had to give the player a few suggestions of how he might take advantage of running along walls (such as running along the wall of a hallway to get on the other side of some enemies) but he eventually took to coming up with ideas himself.

In the final fight of the campaign I had a chamber with a raised platform surrounded by a sea of ghouls, as well as several flying enemies. During the battle he ran across the heads of the ghouls (I made sure to describe it as a "sea" of ghouls to get him thinking about the possibility) and at one point ran up a wall and jumped off a wall to attack a flying enemy before teleporting (he was a shadar-kai) back over the platform and slow falling to safety. He also had to deal with increasing numbers of ghouls climbing onto the platform (1d6 ghouls per round of combat), but his number of attacks allowed him to mow them down and get temp hp back.

While I'm at it, in that encounter I also included a number of monsters with particularly dangerous abilities (ideally for the rogue to judiciously dispose of) and a homebrew tentacled Earth elemental for the bard to cast her favorite spell, shatter, on (which had the added benefit of destroying the creature's tentacles, which could attempt to petrify whatever the monster grappled).

I guess my DMing style when it comes to combat encounters is to see what each PC's strengths and weaknesses are and then craft encounters that take them into account. Sometimes am encounters will have elements that let a PC really shine, and sometimes there will be ones that feature a threat one PC will need help to take down. I was actually inspired by the video game series Etrian Odyssey, where party composition and specs have a massive impact on combat effectiveness.

this is rad and you sound like a good DM—it’s just unfortunate (for you! and for all players!) that WotC foists all that work off on DMs instead of just designing classes and, indeed, most things, more equitably

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jack B Nimble posted:

Monk shield? No, no, these are "wristbands". They give +2 ac and only monks can use them.

Bracers of Defense straight from Baldurs Gate

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RC Cola posted:

Give the monk more options. Blinding strike, dazing strike. Let monks target other saving throws with different strikes. Boom easy change and then you aren't burning 12 ki points to try to land a stun on an enemy with +16 to con saves

This would be good. Even just adding a DEX option would be a major step up, since enemies tend to be good with con or dex, but not often both.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do you mean bracers of defense that do that and can be used by most casters and barbarians?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Are bracers of defense not a pretty standard magic item given out at reasonably low levels? That and Ring of Protection are pretty standard ones that I'll even let PCs buy for gold if they are in a big city.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

this is rad and you sound like a good DM—it’s just unfortunate (for you! and for all players!) that WotC foists all that work off on DMs instead of just designing classes and, indeed, most things, more equitably

Thanks! I partially credit this to reading and dreaming up 4E adventures (that I unfortunately never got to run). That edition had a lot of advice and tools for making combat interesting that I've tried to incorporate in 5E (synergy between monsters and reasons why they would work together, the importance of enemy placement, impacts of hazards and terrain features, terrain powers, etc) and it led me look at D&D and video game RPGs with more of an eye toward encounter design (examining how different party compositions in the series Etrian Odyssey could wildly change the difficultly of certain enemy groups was also eye opening).

Unfortunately, I feel like my RP and description skills as a DM are somewhat lacking, though I'm finally going to get to actually run a PC again soonish and will have an opportunity to practice those sides of the game without having to run the whole thing.

It would be nice for WotC to provide some kind of advice for what different classes and subclasses are strong and weak at and how to craft encounters appropriately. However, there's the wrinkle that pre-published adventures won't be able to provide encounters tailor-made to individual parties in the books.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

When it comes to monks I think the bigger issue is how 5e treats combat. Damage is king, and often times just dealing damage immediately is better than attempting to apply conditions or penalties, especially when those other options come from limited resource pools like spells per day. There are some exceptions to this that will likely increase damage output immensely (haste comes to mind) which makes those abilities worth spending the actions to use.

Monks, with their relatively low damage output, thus become stunning strike monkeys, spending their ki in the hopes that they will enhance everyone else’s superior damage.

We thus have to analyze how combat is working from a mechanical standpoint, and how players are interacting with it, to better judge how to fix a class like the monk, which gets consistently outshined by almost every class in the primary method in which they can engage with the game world, ie through combat.

4e monks are very good, and I think could be a model for how future monks should work, at least in part. Instead of a bonus action, 4e monks can attack with an unarmed strike as a free action once per turn (with additional riders, like being able to attack two separate targets at level 11, and eventually every enemy adjacent to you). This is both thematic and mechanically elegant, bound by the damage potential of an unarmed strike, and instantly makes monks distinct and recognizable from other martial classes.

I think starting with that small change is a good step towards fixing them.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Cool kids get Bracers of Defense on their Wizards just so they don't have to cast Mage Armor daily.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

RC Cola posted:

Do you mean bracers of defense that do that and can be used by most casters and barbarians?

No, I mean something as cheap and available as a shield. This is about hypothetical monk buffs, and given them a shield that isn't a shield is an easy change.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Zurreco posted:

Cool kids get Bracers of Defense on their Wizards just so they don't have to cast Mage Armor daily.

Why would that cause them to stop casting Mage Armor? Bracers of Defense don't work with Armor. Actual Armor. They work with Unarmored Defense, the natural armor like Unarmored Defense of things like Dragon Sorcerers, the 17 AC of Tortles, and with Mage Armor.

That said if you want to increase the Monk AC you absolutely have to add it in to the base AC calculation of Unarmored Defense, and not just let them use a Shield otherwise their potential AC will not actually increase, because Bracers of Defense don't work with Shields.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Toshimo posted:

I disagree with this extremely, like maybe i'm misunderstanding you but this is a collaborative cooperative game.

On a boss fight or encounter It's cool that there are things that a monk can do to help open up an enemy for a larger hit.

Like Monks I think have poor numbers in general and should get buffed, not gonna disagree there. But like one of my favorite things to do in the game is use like Commander's strike, on my battlemaster, with a pocket rogue or paladin, or like Path to the grave on a my cleric, or whatever to help other people do their thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

St0rmD posted:

I don't know about assigning variable permissions to whole wiki pages, but I'm pretty sure at least World Anvil (never used Campfire) has separate Player and GM sections on Wiki pages, so you can put info in the GM section of any page to prep it and as playes learn it, move it up into the player section.

In practice, where did you find players who will actually read your game lore wiki? I've never heard of such a thing.

It's not really intended to be like, just pages upon pages of dry lore, its just more for "Here's general information, easily searchable, that you're character knows that you can check whenever."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with monks as a controller is that at best they're a single target controller and the players are usually outnumbered. And if the players aren't outnumbered either the monk's strike won't work which is lame for them, or it will work which is lame for everyone else.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with monks as a controller is that at best they're a single target controller and the players are usually outnumbered. And if the players aren't outnumbered either the monk's strike won't work which is lame for them, or it will work which is lame for everyone else.

This is my problem with the ranger too. I'm playing one in an Eberron game and we're frequently surrounded but I just end up plinking away at single enemies while our wizard and bard are blasting/stunning groups, even with my beast companion

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

change my name posted:

This is my problem with the ranger too. I'm playing one in an Eberron game and we're frequently surrounded but I just end up plinking away at single enemies while our wizard and bard are blasting/stunning groups, even with my beast companion

So ranger has tons of answers to this, Spike Growth is foremost among them at low levels. Once you get third level spells Conjure Animals is your best way for handling mobs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Madmarker posted:

So ranger has tons of answers to this, Spike Growth is foremost among them at low levels. Once you get third level spells Conjure Animals is your best way for handling mobs.

And Fey Wanderer's Dreadful Strikes incentivize attacking multiple foes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

So, casters then? Very athletic casters. Is everyone in a wuxia movie a monk? Aren't some of them sorceresses and things? Wuxia is more a setting than a class, right? Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the genre.

The D&D monk seems more like old Bruce Lee movies and the Kung Fu tv show. That's the sort of thing Gary 'nits make lice' Gygax would have based the class on.

If they are a martial class a d10 or d12 makes sense. If they are a hybrid class that shoots lightning maybe the d8 makes more sense.

When I did a class remix, I made Monks hybrid casters, who use their ki like the spell point optional rule in the DMG. They can also do some sorcery metamagic out of ki. And they got a substantial ki boost. That extra magic can also just be spent to fuel their basic abilities.

Like Sorcerers, I think Monks get a bit underrated because they have a lot of combat versatility but so many encounters in some groups end before such things can be useful. You can run away from or toward someone if you need to, or dodge, or boost your damage (only to reasonable levels, sure, not paladin crit-fishing levels), you have a lot of potential tools especially if backed by a reasonable amount of equipment, and you are at least in theory good at hunting enemy spellcasters, triggering a bunch of concentration checks plus potentially stunning. When all the PCs are L13, stopping an enemy archmage from using a L8 or L9 spell is pretty priceless and it isn’t always going to be the paladin or warlock or wizard PC who is in a position to do it.