Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Well from the description it is a unity of the four Scottish rite jurisdictions in the US. News to me there are four, I just knew North and South, but then I'm not a Scottish Rite mason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Sub Rosa posted:

Well from the description it is a unity of the four Scottish rite jurisdictions in the US. News to me there are four, I just knew North and South, but then I'm not a Scottish Rite mason.

Hell I didn't even know there were four..

You'd think they'd be less vague about this. I didn't see anything about it in the journal or online. I also haven't been to a SR meeting in a long time so maybe it's been discussed in local temples, I dunno.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm technically in both the SJ and NJ and even I had no idea this was a thing!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

They're doing a real good job spreading the word.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Please don't tell me that, in the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty two, this is another American province/district that has *yet* to recognise prince hall freemasonry.

If so good but um *checks watch* could have maybe done it sooner?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

deported to Canada posted:

Please don't tell me that, in the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty two, this is another American province/district that has *yet* to recognise prince hall freemasonry.

If so good but um *checks watch* could have maybe done it sooner?

We don't recognize them here in Arkansas. I've generally been told that they don't want to be recognized but I don't have any direct information on it. I'm pretty sure my best friend is the only black non-prince hall mason in Arkansas. If not the only one, he's one of a very very small group.

Some of that mixed with local lodges' political expressions and open disgust with gay folks has cause me to reconsider my status as a mason on several occasions.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Actually apparently that is what the Scottish Rite thing is about? It's unity with Prince Hall SR!

Which should put pressure on hold out states.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Contentious opinion I know but maybe it's time we started considering the validity and fesability of overall membership of these "holdout" states.

Frankly it disgusts me everytime I hear about it. Nothing personal, I hope nobody here is offended by my sentiment.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

deported to Canada posted:

Contentious opinion I know but maybe it's time we started considering the validity and fesability of overall membership of these "holdout" states.

Frankly it disgusts me everytime I hear about it. Nothing personal, I hope nobody here is offended by my sentiment.

We've had states refuse to recognize other states for petty reasons... Why not something valid for once?

Speaking as a member in a state that'd be considered clandestine by your metric.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Worthy Masons all

:(

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Tennessee was briefly unrecognized by some states when they kicked a guy out for getting gay married.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well I missed the event but fast forwarding through the proceedings, in true masonic fashion, it took 1hr and 17min give or take before they finally vaguely described what they were talking about. Looks to me like PHA and "regular" Scottish rite all recognizing each other.

EDIT - This map makes me real mad.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 8, 2022

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'm kinda surprised by W Virginia since they broke off from Virginia during the Civil War, but the rest is unfortunately expected

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Congrats to North Carolina for being the first jurisdiction (I think?) to elect an openly gay Grand Master.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sub Rosa posted:

Congrats to North Carolina for being the first jurisdiction (I think?) to elect an openly gay Grand Master.

Huh, I've met Kevan a few times and had no idea. That's pretty cool though, we desperately need more queerness in masonry.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Apparently it was a contentious and difficult election even though he had been in the grand line the usual years. So I'll say I expect the people making it difficult had an idea.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sub Rosa posted:

Apparently it was a contentious and difficult election even though he had been in the grand line the usual years. So I'll say I expect the people making it difficult had an idea.

Ah, okay, yes, now that sounds a bit more like the NC Masonry I know. :(

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The most disappointing kind of bigotry is the kind that comes from people who, at least nominally, should be holding themselves to a higher standard.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Anyone attending the 4th International Scottish Masonic Conference in Edinburgh next month?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Looks like GBS just discovered Freemasonry

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now
My grandfather was a mason and it always fascinated me as a kid. Now I'm adult with the time to devote to a new cause I'm looking to join. Unfortunately my grandfather has passed I need to find a lodge / someone to vouch for me. Are there any resources or do I just walk into a lodge? I've looked on some local lodge websites and sent inquiries but have not heard anything back. I'm in Atlanta, GA if that helps.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Depends on your jurisdiction. If you’re not having any luck contacting local lodges directly, you might try reaching out to your states Grand Lodge and see if they can point you in the right direction.

I’m in Australia under the United Grand Lodge of Victoria, they just have a form you fill out on the website, your regional Grand Lodge may have something similar. At the very least they should have a phone number you can ring.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Probably the most direct route and the most likely to have a streamlined and easy process would be to figure out what lodge your grandpa was a member of and contact that lodge directly, identifying yourself as his grandson and telling them more or less exactly what you posted here. If you have access to his collection of masonic paraphernalia there's almost certainly something if not a lot of things with the right lodge number on it.

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now

Paramemetic posted:

Probably the most direct route and the most likely to have a streamlined and easy process would be to figure out what lodge your grandpa was a member of and contact that lodge directly, identifying yourself as his grandson and telling them more or less exactly what you posted here. If you have access to his collection of masonic paraphernalia there's almost certainly something if not a lot of things with the right lodge number on it.

His lodge was in Ohio and I live in Georgia. I’ll try that route. I do have some of his paperwork and a bible. Maybe they can help me get in down here. I know the lodge I’d like to join (closest to my house) and go from there.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

The United Grand Lodge of England have rolled out Membership Officers in all lodges now and they all chat and share candidate details across the various provinces - I'm not sure if this has found its way across the pond yet (maybe a US buddy can say) but I'm sure there will be something similar in Georgia where you can ask.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

they what? Is that for placement of new bods? Doesn't sound very gdpr

anyone else had an earful about the new online filing system? apparently a tool for befuddling 75yr old secretaries with a mix of web1.0 and brazil

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chubby Henparty posted:

they what? Is that for placement of new bods? Doesn't sound very gdpr

anyone else had an earful about the new online filing system? apparently a tool for befuddling 75yr old secretaries with a mix of web1.0 and brazil
Youd think the aliens or the goat would provide better UX.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

Nessus posted:

Youd think the aliens or the goat would provide better UX.

Geez just give all the secrets away why don’t you, weren’t you taught to be cautious

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I never ended up joining and then my life got nuts, but I’ve only recently started poking at all in NJ.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I was trying to explain Freemasonry to my girlfriend, she ended up describing it as “a bunch of nerds cosplaying the Illuminati”. She’s not exactly wrong.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bargearse posted:

I was trying to explain Freemasonry to my girlfriend, she ended up describing it as “a bunch of nerds cosplaying the Illuminati”. She’s not exactly wrong.

This is more correct than I am willing to admit.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The Illuminati lost to the Strict Observance at the Convent of Wilhelmsbad in 1782 and I for one will never let them live it down.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

As of last night, I have now been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. It was an unforgettable experience, and very deeply moving.

That said, if I'd known about the goat in advance, I'd have worn something a little more appropriate.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Bargearse posted:

As of last night, I have now been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. It was an unforgettable experience, and very deeply moving.

That said, if I'd known about the goat in advance, I'd have worn something a little more appropriate.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy yourself. If you get lots of invites to visit other lodges and join new orders, I'd recommend focusing on the former for the first year of so at least.

Meanwhile, I got sprung with a major bit that is just going to have to be read out on the night, I don't have the time to learn it. Feels good to make peace with that.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey want to see someone try to bring charges against the Grand Junor Warden Elect of Texas just before he is installed? Because you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpATBQWBrJ8&t=2050s

Outgoing Grand Master Most Worshipful Brad Billings shuts the poo poo down with an epic multipronged point of order!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

I try to steer clear of Grand Lodge drama, though we did have a Past Grand Master expelled from Freemasonry not that long ago, for reasons I’m not clear about.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

lol they made it private. What was actually going on there, I'm not sure who was meant to be owning who, like I think they just said 'thank you for your epic point of order, moving on...'

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Bargearse posted:

I try to steer clear of Grand Lodge drama, though we did have a Past Grand Master expelled from Freemasonry not that long ago, for reasons I’m not clear about.

Well done, young man. Well deserved. Plenty of pissheads in that jurisdiction. :)

The third is a remarkable night.

Don’t feel compelled to join other orders right away as folks will push it on you, not in a bad way, they just do with the best of intentions.

And yeah GL can be problematic. Steer out of that crap. Leave it to the old pasties to bemoan!!

Great job!!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

Well done, young man. Well deserved. Plenty of pissheads in that jurisdiction. :)

The third is a remarkable night.

Don’t feel compelled to join other orders right away as folks will push it on you, not in a bad way, they just do with the best of intentions.

And yeah GL can be problematic. Steer out of that crap. Leave it to the old pasties to bemoan!!

Great job!!

Thanks, everyone involved did a great job and it certainly was a memorable night. Our WM even made allowances for my girlfriend to visit us in the south afterwards and I even got to let her in on the secret location of the fourth floor beer fridge.

I've had a few people approach me about joining Mark and Chapter, and I think I may take them up on the offer, at least get to see what it's all about.

I've found that there's a lot you can learn from GL drama, and apply those lessons to your own Freemasonry, but only when observed from a safe distance. Popcorn optional but recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Joseph Banksy
May 9, 2009

boing...boing...boing...boing...

Bargearse posted:

Thanks, everyone involved did a great job and it certainly was a memorable night. Our WM even made allowances for my girlfriend to visit us in the south afterwards and I even got to let her in on the secret location of the fourth floor beer fridge.

I've had a few people approach me about joining Mark and Chapter, and I think I may take them up on the offer, at least get to see what it's all about.

I've found that there's a lot you can learn from GL drama, and apply those lessons to your own Freemasonry, but only when observed from a safe distance. Popcorn optional but recommended.

The fourth floor beer fridge - a Masonic secret within masonry.

Don’t get me wrong about mark/chapter. Both ceremonies of initiation are magnificent when done well. You should speak to the current bloke sitting in the chair in the south about it. If that makes sense..