Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe they sheathed their loving steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

who the hell is maegor

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Barreft posted:

who the hell is maegor
Previous king before Jahaerys. Sorry, forgot this was the book free thread.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I could be wrong but I don't think any King has been assassinated or survived an attempted assassination at this point. The Kingsguard is largely ceremonial and a way to grant favoured positions to noble failsons in order to appease noble houses.

Recurring theme seems to be that everyone is a little gunshy, whether it's most of the knights having no real combat experience, Daemon unwilling to actually take the plunge into violent treason, or Viserys unwilling to deal with Daemon or Mr. Crab.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Barreft posted:

who the hell is maegor

Rhaenys mentions him in the pilot while mocking the knights of summer greenness of the knights at the tourney - that none have known war since Maegor's end 70 years ago.

Later, he's referenced as the bogeyman that they're risking a second version of ("or worse") if Daemon became king.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Phenotype posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1565085276703100928
Hah, that seems like a bad thing, right? Isn't Miguel Sapochnik the one guy from the original GoT show that seemed to know what he was doing?

Sapochnik joined the show during the downhill years, where he seemed like the only person to know what he was doing. His story about filming The Battle of the Bastards gave a lot of insight to just how inept D&D were.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Looks like Snow might only be a limited series according to leaks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Pennsylvanian posted:

Sapochnik joined the show during the downhill years, where he seemed like the only person to know what he was doing. His story about filming The Battle of the Bastards gave a lot of insight to just how inept D&D were.

Can you elaborate on what he said?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Probably for the best as I don't think Kit Harington can carry a show through more than one season.

Having said that, if this is just an attempt to give GOT a proper ending to the whole white walkers plotline, go nuts. All they have to do is not be as bad as season 8.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Good, I don't think there's that much story in that story. A miniseries would be a good compromise.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Can you elaborate on what he said?

I forget all of the details, but basically The Battle of the Bastards was supposed to be entirely different in the original draft of the script, but D&D scheduled a very small amount of filming time for the scene. Sapochnik kept telling D&D that the timeframe was extremely unrealistic, but they kept telling him that he'd make it happen. He pretty much had to start ripping pages out of the script just to be able to film the battle, which is supposedly why we got stuff like Jon's dumb charge, the mention of trenches but no trenches in view, the surprise Vale army at the end, etc. It came out of interviews with Sapochnik years ago, so I'm forgetting a lot of details.

It kind of lines up with the claim that the Dorne trainwreck happened because D&D thought that they would get unlimited access to a world heritage site, but could only film during daylight hours for about a week.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 2, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Roman Reigns posted:

Probably for the best as I don't think Kit Harington can carry a show through more than one season.

Having said that, if this is just an attempt to give GOT a proper ending to the whole white walkers plotline, go nuts. All they have to do is not be as bad as season 8.
Since Targaryens have prophetic dreams, you could retcon season 7 and 8 as being a warning about Brann, possessed by an evil spirit, using the turmoil of war to take manipulate all the players into destroying themselves so that he could ascend to the throne.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Since Targaryens have prophetic dreams, you could retcon season 7 and 8 as being a warning about Brann, possessed by an evil spirit, using the turmoil of war to take manipulate all the players into destroying themselves so that he could ascend to the throne.

That would actually work pretty well as one of the more popular theories from the books is that all the Bran and one eyed raven stuff is just Bloodraven manipulating events to take over his body. Which actually makes Bran ascending to the Iron Throne go from random stupidity in the show to an actually well thought out and cruel plan in the books.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If the John Snow Show was just him and Tormund and Ghost having a different spooky Scooby Doo style adventure up north each week I would totally watch that.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Barreft posted:

who the hell is maegor
King Maegor Targaryen, dubbed the Cruel, was a tall tyrannic king (the third king of the Targaryen line) who went full Valyrian on the Westori idiots. Had a full harem of wives and the tendency to have his dragon eat priests of the 7 and recalcitrant nobles. He died sitting on the iron throne, probably while insane guitars riffs were playing. Jaehaerys I, the old king who died at the beginning of the show was his heir. He reigned for like 55 years, that's why they had a conclave to choose his heir and not choose a woman.

vvv Also that, the place is like swiss cheese but full of blood. Blood and cheese.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 2, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toplowtech posted:

King Maegor Targaryen, dubbed the Cruel, was a tall tyrannic king (the third king of the Targaryen line) who went full Valyrian on the Westori idiots. Had a full harem of wives and the tendency to have his dragon eat priests of the 7 and recalcitrant nobles. He died sitting on the iron throne, probably while insane guitars riffs were playing. The old king who died at the beginning of the show was his heir.

Most famously he's the dude who killed everyone involved in building the Red Keep as soon as it was done, which is why no one knows about all the hidden passages etc.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Should I read the books? I watched every episode of the show and was able to get through them all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Should I read the books? I watched every episode of the show and was able to get through them all.

of house of the dragon? its only one book and id recommend the audio book because its dry loving read at times and having it read you by some old british dude helps it alot.

the game of thrones books a good but alot of the stuff isnt in the show or different from the show which is either better or worse depending on the thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Should I read the books?

lol no

e: ok in all fairness the first three books are very good reads, the fourth is actually not that bad but half the characters don't even appear and there's basically no progress to the main plots, and then the fifth book is kinda crap that also doesn't progress the plots very much. And then the story will remain forever unfinished so you'll never get any sort of closure (which retroactively makes the first three books worse, because they just get you invested in characters and plotlines that will never see a payoff).

Better off to just stay away imo.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 2, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The books are definitely worth reading and are much more nuanced and well written than the show was. The show has some outstanding moments and performances, but the characters are far more developed and the plots are better in text form, IMO.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dorne is still bad in the books though. But instead of stupid and cringe it's endless, boring and inconsequential.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The books are denser, more developed, and much better plotted. They're also nastier -- like, if you didn't like the sexual violence in GoT, you need to be aware that the show was significantly tamer.

But the TV show at least ends.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

But the TV show at least ends.

The books are definitely at an end :v:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

John Dies at the End wasn't a movie, it was the working title for ASoIaF.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

This is as spoiler-free as I can make it, but I'm tagging a summation of the main series as spoilers just to be safe:

AGoT: It very much is season 1 of the TV show. There are extra details here and there that weren't in the show and many characters are better developed in the books. Not much to say about it if you haven't seen the show, but there are some finer details with Ned that the show diverged away from.

ACoK: This is where the show adaptation started taking more liberties away from the book. The show started smooshing characters together to make other characters, dialed down the magic, and changed certain events. In the book, it's where you start seeing George slowing the pace down to keep character stories from jumping around too much, but you can also see in Dany's story where George changed his mind and decided to stretch the series into something bigger than a trilogy. Tyrion's time in King's Landing is fun and interesting, while Sansa's chapters are not.

ASoS: Storm is where the books really grind down and you have more characters not knowing what to do with themselves, but there are still great, notable events. People rag on Feast and Dance and a good amount of the criticism is deserved, but I genuinely think people forget how dull Storm could be at times.

AFfC: This is where people kind of start to rip on the books. George expands the POV list with this book, and while many characters are fleshed out and interesting, Feast is where the overarching plot and pacing get really turned down.

ADwD: 80% of this book is boring as poo poo while 20% of it has some of the best storytelling in the series. The stuff happening at Winterfell and with the Ironborn is cool and interesting, while Dany and Jon and Tyrion's stories are boring as gently caress (save for like the last paragraph of Dany's story and the last few pages of Jon's).

Overall, George started switching the series into character studies. Like, I think if you write up a summation of Arianne's character, I think she sounds really cool and well-rounded. Actually reading a lot of her chapters though is a loving chore. I think George just kept looking at his map and thinking "Are Dorne/Iron Islands are just doing nothing this whole time? Let's do a Dornish character. Ugh, I can't just do one character for all of Dorne- let's add in more. Then flesh them out. Oh, I just wrote a bunch of chapters for these Dornish characters without mentioning my other more established characters. Jon and Dany and Tyrion aren't really doing anything, but I can't just skip events like I used to. Well, I'll just turn their chapters into character studies where they just walk around, developing themselves." And so the books started to bloat and while they can be fun to discuss, they're not necessarily fun to read or to think about when you consider how much further the story needs to move in order to reach a conclusion.

I think the books are worth reading. There's plenty of good stuff in there and you can feel enriched by reading it all without an ending, but the flaws in things like pacing have become exacerbated by the likelihood that the series won't be finished by the man who brags about typing 2000 page books with just one finger.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Quentyn Martell chapters in ADwD rule

Book Brienne is the most boring person in the world, and she becomes a POV character in AFfC. The show's Brienne is a million times better.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

The Quentyn Martell chapters in ADwD rule

Book Brienne is the most boring person in the world, and she becomes a POV character in AFfC. The show's Brienne is a million times better.

It's not easy to find a maid of three-and-ten. Sometimes you have to spend an entire book going on the most inconsequential adventure ever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Book Brienne is nearly identical to show Brienne except for the whole zombie Cat thing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

Book Brienne is nearly identical to show Brienne except for the whole zombie Cat thing.

No in the book you can read her thoughts and they are super tedious whereas in the show she is constantly kicking rear end and doesn't talk all that much

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It's weird to read the books and I have to remind myself that she's like 19 or 20.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pennsylvanian posted:

It's not easy to find a maid of three-and-ten. Sometimes you have to spend an entire book going on the most inconsequential adventure ever.
I do like how she goes around for an entire book spouting HEY HAVE YOU SEEN ANY 13 YEAR OLD REDHEADS, JUST ASKING, NO PARTICULAR REASON and finally near the end someone says to her "yeah I'm looking for Sansa Stark too" and she's like how did he figure that out????

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I really like that the show manage to ignore 95% of the essos plot and characters and it's somehow make what's missing to the tv ending obvious: the dream team of Griff, varys blackfyre (varys with non razed white hairs!) and his nephew fake king aegon driving Daenyris mad with the BELLS.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

TV Essos just kept swinging and missing starting in season 2. They kept doing this weird thing of taking away Dany's character moments and giving them to other characters if they weren't scrapped altogether.. She doesn't even talk to Quaithe I don't think- only Jorah talks to her.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

TV Essos just kept swinging and missing starting in season 2. They kept doing this weird thing of taking away Dany's character moments and giving them to other characters if they weren't scrapped altogether.. She doesn't even talk to Quaithe I don't think- only Jorah talks to her.
If what Quaithe of asshai said is true, she isn't even there, she is just projecting her presence. She is just Daeneris' friendly ghost friend.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 2, 2022

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Pennsylvanian posted:

I loving hated the whole Pyat Pree coup storyline, such a lazy way to end that particular arc.

I did like Dany's conversation with the Spice King, especially because it foreshadows her madness brilliantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9I0W1930FE

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vichan posted:

I loving hated the whole Pyat Pree coup storyline, such a lazy way to end that particular arc.

I did like Dany's conversation with the Spice King, especially because it foreshadows her madness brilliantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9I0W1930FE
Book Pyat pree fate is so much better but anything involving Book Euron is better anyway. *DOOR HINGE SOUND*

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The problem with Dany in the ACoK/Season 2 clash is that her storyline in ACoK is GRRM at his most deliberate. Dany starts in the wilderness, is found by messengers, offered temptation, rejects it, and gains prophetic wisdom by doing so.

Dany, in other words, has gone biblical. And nobody reads the Bible for the plot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Brienne book plot is better just because it has loving Nimble Dick Crabb

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Brienne book plot is better just because it has loving Nimble Dick Crabb

I'm shocked that a Goon didn't come up with that as a username first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If GRRM had cranked out a book every few years it wouldn't have mattered if AFFC was slow or if he needed 10 books instead of 7.