Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.curbed.com/2022/08/landlords-sexual-favors-common-housing-lawyer.html

quote:

The news item went as follows: Allan Rothstein, a Las Vegas–area broker, manager, and landlord, was being sued in federal court for including a “sexual intercourse” clause in a tenant’s lease. The tenant was a formerly homeless single mom of five in Las Vegas using a Section 8 housing voucher; after she had refused Rothstein a hand job, he added a stipulation in her lease that she was signing over “Direct Consent for Sexual Intercourse and/or Fellatio or Cunnilingus” for five years, as well as agreeing not to have a partner that was “larger, meaner, and more physically aggressive” than Rothstein. He had even banned her from using “intoxicants” in a bizarre list including “sea cucumber, strawberries, lobster, dark chocolate, Cocaine,” and “LSD.”

quote:

You say Allan Rothstein’s behavior is not unique. How common is it?

I wish I could say that this was an outlier, but it’s not. There’s this idea that maybe what was unusual was that the landlord put it in the lease — well, that’s not unusual either. I had a landlord include in a lease a clause demanding daily lap dances. I have seen dozens — and that is not an exaggeration — dozens of leases in the past year alone with a clause that the landlord has to approve a female tenant’s overnight guests. And these are from form leases, with boilerplate language that is available on the internet. That just shows how far this has gone, that a major publisher of legal documents has it right in their standard lease that you get to approve your tenant’s overnight guest. There’s only one reason for that to be in there in the first place: because they’re so commonly used. [Ring sent Curbed examples of such contract clauses from the National Apartment Association, SignNow, and Rental Lease Agreement.com.]

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

I'm not surprised this kind of thing is happening, but to have it in writing on a lease is :wtc: What an insanely broken country we live in.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

cars are a scourge

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crusty Nutsack posted:

cars are a scourge

on the one hand, absolutely

on the other hand, if that driveway weren't there, it would be lawn and lawns are almost as bad as cars

speng31b
May 8, 2010

WampaLord posted:

on the one hand, absolutely

on the other hand, if that driveway weren't there, it would be lawn and lawns are almost as bad as cars

funny you mention that, yesterday a lawn nearby collided at high speed with a family of four and exploded on impact. really tragic, shocked the whole community

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You shouldn't live near skydiving facilities.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Crusty Nutsack posted:

cars are a scourge

driveway's in good shape, concrete panels are properly square so they don't crack in half. it's amazing how often they gently caress that up

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Crusty Nutsack posted:

cars are a scourge

The driveway would be a cracked mess in my neighborhood.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if it weren’t for cars it would be for horses or bicycles. horses take up even more space .

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

if it weren’t for cars it would be for horses or bicycles. horses take up even more space .

prior to the car, most people walked

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

speng31b posted:

funny you mention that, yesterday a lawn nearby collided at high speed with a family of four and exploded on impact. really tragic, shocked the whole community

what a shame

but a good point, my problem is really with the lawnmower, which is a car for lawns but with a rotating blade attached

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Crusty Nutsack posted:

cars are a scourge

Lol at acting like you wouldn't snap buy that house if it became affordable.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That gigantic spruce tree (maybe fir?) is awesome and gorgeous

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

TRIAL PAUSED FOR LAS VEGAS LANDLORD WHO FORCED TENANT TO SIGN SEX CONTRACT
Posted at 1:26 PM, August 16, 2022 and last updated 1:26 PM, August 16, 2022

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — The federal civil trial of a landlord accused of requiring his tenant to sign a sex contract has been paused until the fall.

Andrew Wasielewski, the attorney for former real estate broker and property manager Allan Rothstein, says the postponement came late Friday after his client received two death threats — one via text and one on the internet.

Wasielewski also confirmed that the 81-year-old Rothstein is experiencing cognitive issues.

There will be ongoing procedural actions in the case but the trial itself is not scheduled to resume until October 3.

The case centers on a Section 8 tenant with five children who says she was forced to sign a sex contract in order to lease a home Rothstein was managing.
Looks like they're trying to run out the clock.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

cars are a scourge

it wouldn’t surprise me if the garage is mostly filled with things and that there’s only room for one car in it.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Missing Donut posted:

it wouldn’t surprise me if the garage is mostly filled with things and that there’s only room for one car in it.

And that one car is a Ford F850 King Ranch 4K 2160P edition, which doesn't fit in the garage so it's parked on the driveway every night.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That's the concrete pad where I work on my BMX tricks.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Missing Donut posted:

maybe we'll be nicely suprised and there is a well kitted out woodshop in there :unsmith:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

WaryWarren posted:

And that one car is a Ford F850 King Ranch 4K 2160P edition, which doesn't fit in the garage so it's parked on the driveway every night.

no it’s still parked on the street for some reason

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
On a Facebook group where I used to live. This cabin is located in bumfuck nowhere and is an absolute shithole with a loving rotary phone.

$2350, application fee, house checks, “respectful tenants.” Might as well put a whites only sign out front.

The post is getting rightfully destroyed in the comments for being a racist shitbag.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hmm yes let me spend $15k to live in Missouri for the worst months of the year

actually are there any good months to be living in Missouri?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

Having been to Missouri in July and August I’m going to say if Sept.-May are also awful then I guess that depends on whether June is an outlier

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

i am harry posted:

April, October, and November aren’t awful depending on the location. Jane, MO wouldn’t be bad at that time of year because you could enjoy the Ozarks and NWA. The rest of the time and state would be pretty lovely.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

how about you put away that carrot and bring out the stick, sedona

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1566025716138901504

I literally just bought 5 apartment buildings to AirnB out and this happens right now FML 🤦‍♂️

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PawParole posted:

I literally just bought 5 apartment buildings to AirnB out and this happens right now FML 🤦‍♂️

Buy the dip.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

:yeshaha:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

old 5bd/3ba 2700 SF home on the mississippi river parkway (i.e. very desirable location)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

this one isn’t as fun as the others

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's my incredibly lazily produced chart of median sold home price / median real household income, using FRED data. They only had median income back to 1984.

anyway lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

Buy the dip.

already spent all of my money turning tent-cities into weworks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

PawParole posted:

:lol: My place looks to have dropped almost 10% in the last month. It's still nowhere near enough of a drop, but it's more than I expected to see here (Puget Sound area).

Maybe it'll continue and I'll actually be able to afford to move to a bigger place or something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

prices down but average 30 year fixed rate is (checks FRED) 5.66 lmao

15 year is 5.16

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That graph is kind of unimpressive since it's like prices have been steadily rising for four and a half years but go ahead and undo one month of growth (and not even the biggest month over the last year). You'd need years of decline just to get back to the already overpriced pre-pandemic environment.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

That graph is kind of unimpressive since it's like prices have been steadily rising for four and a half years but go ahead and undo one month of growth (and not even the biggest month over the last year). You'd need years of decline just to get back to the already overpriced pre-pandemic environment.

The median mortgage payment in the US was slightly under a thousand dollars as recently as 2015, and people under 35 weren't able to buy homes without parental help even then. The amount of price inflation in the past seven years is historic for such a short period of time.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/berkeleyside/status/1567943871463579648

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

prices are definitely not falling yet here in costal California even though the market has cooled off from earlier this year

it takes major economic disaster to lower prices here

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

bawfuls posted:

prices are definitely not falling yet here in costal California even though the market has cooled off from earlier this year

yeah my place is still going up based on comps, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

bawfuls posted:

I'm in the Bay and my house dropped about 10%, but it also went up 50% in the past two years, so its not really significant.

I've been watching Sacramento, its going down faster, but still not to 2020 levels.