Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Am I the only one that sees and hears Colin Firth when Elrond talks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also did they say that no elf and human have ever had sex without one of them dying?
Is that wierd Goon theory about elf tentacle dicks now Canon???

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

10 Beers posted:

He's more of a Neil Patrick Harris imo

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also did they say that no elf and human have ever had sex without one of them dying?
They said that there's been couple of occasions of humans and elves being together but they always ended in tragedy. So it's up to the viewer to decide if it's about romanticism of impossible love or tentacle dicks.

I wonder how internet nazis have taken in the potential romance between black elf and human woman. Are they more upset about their differing skin tones or cross-species romance? Never mind, I don't want to know, and I can pretty much guess the answer....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The two Elf-Man kinships were Brian and Lithium and then much later you had the Chad Tuor and his hot babe Idril vs the Virgin Maeglin. It wasn't really a tragedy for either pairing because Beren and Luthien were badasses and Tuor is the hottest dude ever.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Too many people rushing in here last night to be the first to say it sucks. It didn't suck, there's definitely some shortcuts taken but I loved what I saw onscreen, especially the Dwarves. Seeing a fully functional and gorgeous Khazad-Dum was something I've wanted to see my entire life. I highly doubt anyone is just gonna say "gently caress this, I'm out after two hours." Whether it was worth the time and money remains to be seen.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Count me in as another huge Tolkien nerd who enjoyed it. There are certainly moments where I pause and think "wait, that was different from the books", but that was true for the Jackson movies, and Game of Thrones, and any adapted work that I've read the original of. It helps that this is one of the more loosely sketched out areas of the Tolkien canon, and for certain things like what was going on with Galadriel in this era even Tolkien kept changing his mind about, so this version just feels like one other possibility among them. So far I think the feel is right, even if the specific details vary, and that's the most important thing for me (as it was with the Jackson films).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The main part I'm not entirely sold on is Arondir and the Middle Men of the southlands. Mainly because the show hasn't done a good job of explaining the distrust that men have for Elves at this point in time outside of a line that they're watching them for growing up under the shadow of Sauron. Also the weakest set and costume design of the show so far in that region. I'm hoping they can punch it up a bit with that plotline.

I'm also veering towards Meteor Man being an evil Maia because that sketch he was carving with the stick when he broke Nori's father's foot voodoo style looks like the Ethel Duath and the Ethel Lithui that form the border of Mordor.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

MaoistBanker posted:

Too many people rushing in here last night to be the first to say it sucks.

There are legitimate reasons to like it, and there are legitimate reasons to not like it.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Full disclosure, one of the EP's on the show is a close friend of mine and he left for New Zealand when my wife was 7 months pregnant with our second daughter. Seeing that it's now almost that unborn baby's 3rd birthday and we now FINALLY see the results has been wild to think about, especially for a show that loves to talk about the passage of time.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

10 Beers posted:

It's the chin.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think there were already two separate "take my hand" moments with someone saying that exact line

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
My Dad read LotR when he was younger and had a few criticisms about the Jackson films. One of them was that he didn't like Hugo Weaving as Elrond, that there wasn't enough gravitas to the character.

For fun I showed him a clip of this Elrond and after about 20 seconds he just said: 'Please stop.'

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Did anyone else think that kid Galadriel was going to learn a lesson about buoyancy? It’s still symbolic as hell.

“The ship floats because it displaces more than it weighs. It is the sad fate of all who sail far that they must always be pushing something else away.”

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

Too many people rushing in here last night to be the first to say it sucks. It didn't suck, there's definitely some shortcuts taken but I loved what I saw onscreen, especially the Dwarves. Seeing a fully functional and gorgeous Khazad-Dum was something I've wanted to see my entire life. I highly doubt anyone is just gonna say "gently caress this, I'm out after two hours." Whether it was worth the time and money remains to be seen.

It definitely did not suck.

The Doormat
Dec 20, 2010

:dukedog:
I watched the first episode before bed. I thought it was surprisingly good honestly? On some level it was always going to be at least a bit of a soulless corporate cash grab, but within the limitations of what they're allowed to show and the sheer amount of stuff they have to just make up to fill in the blanks, it's fine. It was always going to be fanfiction, but it's okay fanfiction.
I'm not as familiar with the Silmarillion as I would like to be, but everything seems to match up with the broad strokes that I do know. I have to wonder who this is for though, because aside from Elrond and Galadriel there's really not a whole lot a 'casual' fan who's only seen the Jackson movies once or twice would recognize, and it really feels like you're expected to have some background knowledge of what's going on.

I really liked Cate Blanchett in the Jackson movies because she really does have that look that can sell being an immortal ageless being wise beyond comprehension, but whoever is playing her this time around (her name is Morfydd Clark apparently?) does a really good job in the role, I think. Maybe it's just the costuming and makeup being really good, but she is so loving pretty in each scene holy poo poo that I can't help but feel like a creepy goon. But it's Galadriel, and she's supposed to be exceptionally beautiful so w/e.

My only real complaints so far is that the lighting feels kinda off sometimes, the cuts feel a little too quick, and every male elf should have hair that's twice as long.
Gonna watch the second one tonight and I don't care about spoilers too much, but none of the Istari(sp?) should be showing up for a few thousand years after what the show should cover, right? There's stuff I'm worried that the writers/suits won't be able to help themselves from doing, like putting Gandalf/Saruman in, or making Melkor generically ugly or evil looking.

EDIT:

Glah posted:

They said that there's been couple of occasions of humans and elves being together but they always ended in tragedy. So it's up to the viewer to decide if it's about romanticism of impossible love or tentacle dicks.

I wonder how internet nazis have taken in the potential romance between black elf and human woman. Are they more upset about their differing skin tones or cross-species romance? Never mind, I don't want to know, and I can pretty much guess the answer....

People are always going to read into the actor being black, but to me, looking really good and sounding really good are like 90% of the qualifications to play a Tolkien elf and he's really good at both lol

Actually, because I'm a bit fuzzy on the order of events, where the humans he was watching the descendants of traitors who fell in with Melkor, or descendants of the ones who helped the Maia and the Elves? The kid finding the sword hidden away makes me think the former, and if it's the latter, those dudes should be the Numenorians who get to have their own corruption and fall from grace later on right? The comments that they're being 'controlled' by the Elves would make more sense in that case. I'm not actually too up to date on Human-Elven relations during this part of the setting's history, but how hostile are relations?

I always got the vibe that the mutual distrust and hostility between the Elves/Humans/Dwarves was explicitly a very common and bad thing to further emphasize the difficulty of and necessity that everyone band together against the threat of the Age.

The Doormat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 2, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best part was Elrond and Durin's talk on the lift. That's a very legitimate reason for a Dwarf to be angry and it was a good way to build empathy for him without it being a joke about Dwarven stubbornness. Elves treating the passage of time different to mortal races makes it a really cool way to examine the mundane side of relationships rather than just the tragic romance stories of elves outliving mortal lovers. I'm hoping that Arondir's story handles that particular wrinkle with care.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Moltke posted:

Meteor man being gandalf is too stupid even for amazon, unless they turned the entire script over to the marketing department (possible but doesn't seem like it so far).

I'm liking the theories that he's a non-istari but good-aligned maia (man in the moon/tilion) or bad-aligned maia (balrog) who will eventually end up in Kazad dum or make mount doom erupt.

I've heard Gandalf isn't supposed to be on Middle Earth during this time period, but look at this:

Can there really be any question they were trying to make this look like Ian McKellen? I didn't doubt for a second that it was Gandalf until I came in here and saw people talking about it.

What books have the story that this show's gonna tell, anyway? Is it just the Silmarillion? I've read the Hobbit and the LotR trilogy but I've only ever skimmed bits of the Silmarillion, so I don't have anywhere near as good a grasp on this stuff as some of you guys.

e: VV oh poo poo, that too! I thought they did the firefly bit purposefully to make you think of Gandalf whispering to the moth when he was trapped on top of Orthanc. If that dude isn't supposed to be Gandalf, then they've done an amazing job playing on their viewers' expectations.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 2, 2022

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I think it might be Sauron. I am getting evil vibes from him. But I don't have a clear reason why. Didn't the fireflies die after he talked to them?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Phenotype posted:

What books have the story that this show's gonna tell, anyway? Is it just the Silmarillion? I've read the Hobbit and the LotR trilogy but I've only ever skimmed bits of the Silmarillion, so I don't have anywhere near as good a grasp on this stuff as some of you guys.
They don't have the rights to the Silmarillion, but a lot of the events this show will be doing are covered there as well (specifically in the relatively shorter section on the Second Age, since most of the book is about the war for the Silmarils). The main source is the Appendices of Lord of the Rings, which cover the same Second Age events.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Not bad. Definitely an "inspired by" situation instead of an adaptation but I've got no problem with that.

Galadriel peacing out and swimming back to middle-earth was hillarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the first episode was interesting but I dunno what story their telling because all the interesting stories are in other books and apparently they just got the rights to appendixes which is loving weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How long are elven childhoods

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

zoux posted:

How long are elven childhoods

Roughly the same as men, and then they age slower than Keanu Reeves upon reaching adulthood.

As for Galadriel swimming in the sea I imagine taking the Straight Way to Valinor with an Asgard Bifrost equivalent means they didn't have to literally sail the breadth of the Sundering Sea.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I hope the next couple of episodes they just show snippets of Galadriel swimming back and that's all there is for 16 episodes.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

2nd level spells posted:

I want a godzilla spider sucking the juice from a tree

:( some day

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Hollismason posted:

I thought the first episode was interesting but I dunno what story their telling because all the interesting stories are in other books and apparently they just got the rights to appendixes which is loving weird.

The 'rights' arbitrage is so bizarre in modern filmmaking. "We want to adapt the Silmarillion, let's negotiate for film/TV rights." "$300 million." "Jeez, that's a lot, how about we painstakingly go through every bit of the estate and have you say yes/no to which parts we can use ahead of time, knowing that it won't include the actual LotR trilogy?" "Perfect, $250 million if you want to do that."

Is retaining the rights to the fragmented parts leftover worth it to the Tolkien estate? It's not like they can then adapt the Silmarillion minus everything in the appendicies, the story and characters wouldn't make any sense at that point.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hryme posted:

I think it might be Sauron. I am getting evil vibes from him. But I don't have a clear reason why. Didn't the fireflies die after he talked to them?

black speech plays in the background more than once during the stranger scenes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's a balrog but i kind of dislike it because this is supposed to be the JJ abrams "mystery box" element that is meant to remain unclear and draw in viewers and is just going to be surrounded by a bunch of contradictory false flags

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Can there really be any question they were trying to make this look like Ian McKellen? I didn't doubt for a second that it was Gandalf until I came in here and saw people talking about it.

e: VV oh poo poo, that too! I thought they did the firefly bit purposefully to make you think of Gandalf whispering to the moth when he was trapped on top of Orthanc. If that dude isn't supposed to be Gandalf, then they've done an amazing job playing on their viewers' expectations.

i think the character is supposed to evoke how the maia embody themselves on earth rather than gandalf specifically, but clearly they do want to leave it ambiguous to keep us guessing. meteor's mans robes didn't read as gray to me, more of a dirty brown.

Hryme posted:

sauron was hiding for millennia in ME. meteor man crash lands from outer space, seems genuinely confused by the world, and can't speak common. while the meteor/ignorance could be a trick, meteor man seems (to me, so far) more like a foreigner with a very specific mission (the actor has said as much about the character) rather then a schemer planning to use the hobbits to some end.

guess we'll see over the coming episodes.

edit-

also in ep 1, the northern fortress is so evil, the elves' torches give no warmth. Nori specifically calls out that the fire from the meteor gives no warmth. Related?

Moltke fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 2, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Infinite Karma posted:

The 'rights' arbitrage is so bizarre in modern filmmaking. "We want to adapt the Silmarillion, let's negotiate for film/TV rights." "$300 million." "Jeez, that's a lot, how about we painstakingly go through every bit of the estate and have you say yes/no to which parts we can use ahead of time, knowing that it won't include the actual LotR trilogy?" "Perfect, $250 million if you want to do that."

Is retaining the rights to the fragmented parts leftover worth it to the Tolkien estate? It's not like they can then adapt the Silmarillion minus everything in the appendicies, the story and characters wouldn't make any sense at that point.

They just sold the rights, to a videogame company for around 2 billion, so expect spinoff movies in 5 years or watch embracer on-sell rights to amazon for future seasons of this show (or a spinoff show)

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/embracer-lord-of-the-rings-film-tv-rights-1235344418/

quote:

Middle Earth Enterprises, the holding company that owns all of J.R.R. Tolkien’s works including “Lord of the Rings,” “The Hobbit” and more, has been sold to Swedish gaming conglomerate Embracer.

The rights include movies, books, theatrical productions, video games, theme parks and merchandise in Tolkein’s most famous literary works – “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” – as well as “matching rights” in other literary works related to Middle-earth and authorized by the Tolkien Estate and HarperCollins, primarily “The Silmarillion” and “The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth,” two compilations which were published after the writer’s death in 1973.

Entrepreneur Saul Zaentz, who died in 2014, originally acquired a number of rights to Tolkien’s works – including film adaptation – in 1976. Left out of the original deal, however, was the right to produce a TV series more than eight episodes long. This loophole meant that Amazon were able to negotiate directly with Tolkien’s estate to make the TV series and it is unclear whether the sale to Embracer will have any impact on the series, which launches next month.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 2, 2022

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Arc Hammer posted:

As for Galadriel swimming in the sea I imagine taking the Straight Way to Valinor with an Asgard Bifrost equivalent means they didn't have to literally sail the breadth of the Sundering Sea.

It's before the Downfall of Numenor, so the world is still flat. No Straight Way, they have to sail across the ocean the normal way.

The physical placement of everyone seems odd in that storyline, and it's probably my only major criticism so far. I can see why Entertainment Weekly criticized the show's sense of geography.

1. Why would Galadriel try to swim to Middle-Earth when they're in sight of Valinor? That's over a thousand miles. The least they could've done was have her grab some food and a plank to float on before she jumped overboard, so it looks less like suicide.
  2. Why would humans fleeing from orcs near Mordor be on a ship in swimming distance from Valinor? Were they trying to pull an Earendil?
  3. It's a bit more plausible because the storm presumably blew them closer, but it's still odd that Elendil would come across them on patrol.

Yes, fate and the will of Arda's interventionist deities may have played a role in some of these things, but it's still something you don't want to overdo. You can't have a whole plotline run on coincidences/Ulmo's shenanigans.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 2, 2022

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I’ll give you a hint. It’s about the forging of some jewelry. It may be mentioned in the title of the show.

Also the story of Sauron’s corruption of Numenor which loving owns but I imagine we won’t start to see until later seasons.

Those two stories I find super interesting and they have the added bonus of tying directly into the events of the Third Age which everyone who saw the movies are familiar with.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

William Bear posted:

It's before the Downfall of Numenor, so the world is still flat. No Straight Way, they have to sail across the ocean the normal way.

The physical placement of everyone seems odd in that storyline, and it's probably my only major criticism so far. I can see why Entertainment Weekly criticized the show's sense of geography.

1. Why would Galadriel try to swim to Middle-Earth when they're in sight of Valinor? That's over a thousand miles. The least they could've done was have her grab some food and a plank to float on before she jumped overboard, so it looks less like suicide.
  2. Why would humans fleeing from orcs near Mordor be on a ship in the northern part of the Sundering Seas? Were they trying to pull an Earendil?
  3. It's a bit more plausible because the storm presumably blew them far south, but it's still odd that Elendil would come across them on patrol.

Yes, fate and the will of Arda's interventionist deities may have played a role in some of these things, but it's still something you don't want to overdo. You can't have a whole plotline run on coincidences/Ulmo's shenanigans.

yeah, this will all be judged by the quality of her storyline going forward. if all of it is good and fun, we will forget the awkward start since it got us where we needed to be

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

MaoistBanker posted:

I stand by in saying it sucks. I won't get into lore accuracy/changes and instead judge this on its own merits. In 2 hours, there was like maybe 15 minutes of actual story which leads to its biggest problem, its loving BORING. It meanders along with often stilted scenes played in a sequence without any narrative thrust or particularly memorable characters except maybe Durin and his wife. I wouldn't even call this merely serviceable factory filmmaking like the average Marvel flick, its just inept.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I'm a huge Tolkein nerd, but also tend to think adaptations go way wrong when they're nothing more than slavish copies of the original, so I really enjoyed what we got so far. Just like the Jackson films, it's a really well-made vision of a world I love a lot that tells an interesting version of a story (and, in this case, one with plenty of room for elaboration) that I'm familiar with.

I hope it does really well and Uncle Jeff keeps plowing money into it for years to come!

edit: lol imagine being mad about anything involving Tolkein's work because the plot doesn't advance fast enough.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Moltke posted:

also in ep 1, the northern fortress is so evil, the elves' torches give no warmth. Nori specifically calls out that the fire from the meteor gives no warmth. Related?

Interesting catch. I took the fortress situation to be that the evil cold was so evil and cold that the torch (though normal fire) couldn’t be felt. Not sure what to think about meteor man’s fire but it’s an interesting detail if it is related.

Did Galadriel see the meteor coming from the direction of Valinor or am I just imagining that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought I recognized the name of the director and then I looked uimbup and realized it's the same guy who directed Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, a movie that was only saved from being the worst Jurassic Park related thing by virtue of Dominion being even worse.

Bayona is really fond of low angle close ups, isn't he. Got a real sense of that during the Dwarf scenes.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

WoodrowSkillson posted:

black speech plays in the background more than once during the stranger scenes.

Yeah that would explain it. Maybe not Sauron but I don't think it is a good maia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Communist Thoughts posted:

as stated there have been two prominent elf-man marriages to date. Beren and Luthien went to God personally and were offered a mortal old age where they could die together. Idril and Tuor went to Valinor together where Tuor was allegedly granted a long old age there (sucks, Numenoreans!) so its a mixed bag

edit: on top of the mentioned gandalf clues, there was an enormous number of visual references to the jackson films which i hope peter out. i mean they found a lookalike of the Proudfeet! guy

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 2, 2022